8-14 : "Ring Up" 2013.1.21

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

75 replies to this topic

MyAlias

MyAlias

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 9:13 PM

Barney asks Ted to keep dating Carley (Ashley Benson), a much younger woman, even though she and Ted have nothing in common.

You have to be 21 to get into McLaren's? They serve food there. You can't be 20 and have a burger and a Coke?

Weren't flash-mobs a thing about 5 years ago? Way to stay current, writers. You guys are all old enough to have served in 'Nam, aren't you?

And now they'll be another season of this.

Edited by MyAlias, Jan 22, 2013 @ 11:34 AM.

ExplainItAgain

ExplainItAgain

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 9:41 PM

Ugh...why can't I quit this show?? Every week I tune in and every week it's the same exact thing. The Marshall/Lily plot was insanely stupid and I feel like I've seen the Ted/Barney plot a million times before. They just switch around the elements.

I can't even with Robin's story.

It wasn't even a surprise the girl turned out to be Barney's sister...Robin oh-so-casually bringing her up earlier in the episode was like a big giant sign announcing that she'd turn up.

nilyank

nilyank

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 9:58 PM

I am just glad that they didn't have Ted with single tunnel vision when he looked at Robin in the last scene today.

So I guess they proved that Carly isn't the mother.

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:01 PM

In their brief shared screen time, Robin and Barney could not have had less chemistry. Just painful to watch.

Just when I was starting to think we'd no longer be subjected to Robin telling us how hot she is, there she goes again. I couldn't believe it when they showed the closeup of her hand with the ring, complete with broken pinky nail. I'm not sure for whom it's more egregious that she skipped a mani -- Robin as the "ultra-hot" TV reporter with the flashy new engagement ring, or Cobie, the actor playing her.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:22 PM

Ugh. Stupid filler episode.

Ted boinking a 20 year-old, especially because Barney begged him to (and telling his future children about it), was just gross. How many more episodes do we have to deal with this dead end?

I'm so tired of the Horny Lily storylines. Not funny, not sexy, just gross.

The glowing tunnel vision between Robin and Barney was lame. And anyone notice that Marshall had it for Lily, but not the other way around?

I thought that the resolution to the ring storyline would be that Robin and Barney would agree to not wear rings.

Tissue

Tissue

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:25 PM

After last season I never watch episodes when they come out (except for the Final Page), I just read the episode recaps. Watching Robin's acting now makes me cry.

Last episode some people said the "DJ" was a metaphor for Ted, and "Band" for Barney - was there a scene with Robin and Barney together?

I suppose this ends the theory that Carly was the mother, which is dissapointing.

From what i can see on the recap, Ted was a douche again... and I really thought things had changed since "The Stamp Tramp". I would wonder how douche-Ted would find a wife if I still wasnt in shock that Barney has somehow found another fiancee. Then again all of Barneys fiancees have been damaged.

Astor

Astor

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 11:16 PM

I rather liked this episode. The Barney and Ted stuff may have felt like a retread of a retread but it had a few highlights.

Lily being horny was more gross then anything. Marshall's subplot wasn't interesting either.

With all due respect to Colbie, they really need to stop having plots revolving around how "hot" she is.

You have to be 21 to get into McLaren's? They serve food there. You can't be 20 and have a burger and a Coke?

It varies by area and individual bar. Some bars don't let less-than-21-year-olds in after a certain time.

cheryl1213

cheryl1213

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 11:19 PM

I have to say that as they started the pan on the girl's legs, i figured out who she was. I wonder if that's a nod to fan gossip (which, I believe, wouldn't be brand new)....def saw a contingent of "The Mother is Barney's sister" speculation.

No one comes off well in this one.

clear

clear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 11:36 PM

In their brief shared screen time, Robin and Barney could not have had less chemistry. Just painful to watch.

The show can't write them as a happy couple. That's why my theory is they'll be breaking up and getting together for the next year and a half.

The writers seemed like they were spinning their wheels all episode. I hope the rest of the show isn't like that. For the whole season it seems like they've been working off a checklist tying up the loose ends. Bring back Michael Trucco - check. Eliminate the chance The Mother is Barney's sister: check. And other than that, they've run out of ideas.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 11:46 PM

Awwwwwwwwful.

TigerHawk310

TigerHawk310

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 11:50 PM

I know it's cliche at this point, but...

"And that, kids, is how I had lots of meaningless sex with your Uncle Barney's 20-year-old half-sister when I was 32!"

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 12:08 AM

Again with Robin is the hottest woman in the world. Gag me with this.

I love that Ted slept with Barney's sister because frankly I hated all the jokes that Barney might have slept with Ted's mom and Barney pushing Ted to sleep with some random young girl because he couldn't was gross. I also liked that Barney's sister joined in on the winking. Though he granddaddy issues were weird.

I hope one day Barney freaks out over all the girls like his sister that he tricked into sleeping with him.

HappyBerry

HappyBerry

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 12:09 AM

I'm so tired of the Horny Lily storylines. Not funny, not sexy, just gross.

That is one of the things I noticeably liked about the episode last week. I hated to see it come back with a vengence this week.

I just started rewatching Freaks and Geeks this afternoon, so it was kind of amusing to see Jason Segal as a burn-out in this episode. I was also pretty amused when he was having normal conversation in burn-out mode, especially the bit about getting the medium salsa.

And look, Barney went through his one night detox. That certainly makes up for all his horribleness and misogyny earlier. I'm sure he will be a model husband now.....

Edited by HappyBerry, Jan 22, 2013 @ 12:10 AM.

catherinedebarra

catherinedebarra

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 12:17 AM

"I know it's nice to be groped by strangers." I think this show just finally lost me with that one craptastic, offensive line. I mean, sexual assault is just SO FLATTERING and all.

Shimmergloom

Shimmergloom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 12:34 AM

def saw a contingent of "The Mother is Barney's sister" speculation.

Now to start the theory that Lyndsy Fonseca will be playing her own mother.

cagewench

cagewench

Fanatic

• Interests:So You Think You Can Dance, How I Met Your Mother, Fringe, Comic Book Men, Alphas, Don't Trust the B in Apt 23, Castle, Switched at Birth, Survivor, Supernatural, Doctor Who, Dexter, True Blood, Torchwood, and cancelled shows like: BTVS, Angel, Firefly, Dark Angel, Roswell, Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me, Battlestar Galactica, Tru Calling, Smallville, Wonder Woman, Black Adder, Reaper, the 4400, Coupling (UK) Pushing Daisies, Heroes, and many more.

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 1:11 AM

OK I was one of the - The Mom will be Barney's half-sister contingent but I have to say the Lyndsy Fonseca will play her own mother is SOOOOOOOO made of win that Pepsi came out of my nose!

Hell, she is what 26 or 27 now, right? That would be hilarious!!!

contessakitty

contessakitty

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 2:00 AM

WIth the speculation that Barney's sister was the "mother" I was amused with this episode showing that it wasn't. And I enjoyed the episode. I don't like everything but if I didn't yell "NOOOOOOO" it's an improvement.

Helena Dax

Helena Dax

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 4:43 AM

I laughed a lot with this episode, especially when Ted was telling them about his first date with Barney's sister: the way she talked, the things she ate... And it was a very nerdy episode, which is always something good in my book. Marshall's dirty talk was hilarious too. And I love the way Robin and Barney smiled and looked at each other.

lostinube

lostinube

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 9:15 AM

I was kind of hoping that the sister was running a play on Ted with the old man thing because otherwise it's a tad bit strange.

avenger314

avenger314

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 9:31 AM

I was laughing hysterically for most of the episode, which is a huge improvement. I was wondering if Barney would find some way to sleep with Ted's sister without cheating on Robin. Wait, that doesn't work, but I stand by it.
When they were doing the slow pan of the picture of Ted's girl, I thought the big reveal was that it would be Ted dressed up in drag as a way to stop Barney from being a creep. Their way worked well too, though.

Good ep, I'd say. A definite step up.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 10:05 AM

I was laughing hysterically for most of the episode, which is a huge improvement. I was wondering if Barney would find some way to sleep with Ted's sister without cheating on Robin. Wait, that doesn't work, but I stand by it.

It totally works if it's a threesome with Robin.

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 10:14 AM

"And that, kids, is how I had lots of meaningless sex with your Uncle Barney's 20-year-old half-sister when I was 32!"

Ted's 34-35 by now.

karra

karra

Fanatic

• Interests:Writing, reading, baking.

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 10:34 AM

He also didn't do a voiceover, which I think means this is one he didn't tell the kids?

JLev

JLev

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 10:38 AM

I was bothered by the fact that two of the major plots seemed like direct lifts from other shows. 'My Boys' did "Brendan dates the young hipster girl and tries to keep up with her weird young person things" (right down to name checking a flash mob) years ago. And 'Scrubs' did the "woman turns invisible when wearing a ring". Both were arguably better, which took me right out of the episode.

vienibenmio

vienibenmio

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 10:42 AM

I feel really bad for Ted, his friends don't seem to care about him anymore. Wish he'd find new friends.

Also, I really wish that this had led to some sort of epiphany for Barney that many of his one-night stands were someone's baby sister as well. Alas.

The Robin storyline was really stupid IMO. And I agree that she and Barney have zero chemistry.

cagewench

cagewench

Fanatic

• Interests:So You Think You Can Dance, How I Met Your Mother, Fringe, Comic Book Men, Alphas, Don't Trust the B in Apt 23, Castle, Switched at Birth, Survivor, Supernatural, Doctor Who, Dexter, True Blood, Torchwood, and cancelled shows like: BTVS, Angel, Firefly, Dark Angel, Roswell, Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me, Battlestar Galactica, Tru Calling, Smallville, Wonder Woman, Black Adder, Reaper, the 4400, Coupling (UK) Pushing Daisies, Heroes, and many more.

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 11:11 AM

HIMYM also did the woman turns invisible when wearing a ring with Lily when she was first engaged to Marshall and had Lily hide her ring from Marshall and try to get picked up at the bar if I recall correctly because she was feeling inferior to Robin...

Edited by cagewench, Jan 22, 2013 @ 11:12 AM.

karra

karra

Fanatic

• Interests:Writing, reading, baking.

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 11:36 AM

I think Robin was even the one who pointed it out to Lily, so she really should be familiar with it.

kfried

kfried

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 11:42 AM

So, this episode was not very creative, but I loved Ashley B as Barney's sister. I think she shares a little of her bro's swagger, and in a way, this episode *did* advance the plot, as it ruled out one more person who *can't* be the mother.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 11:49 AM

I was bothered by the fact that two of the major plots seemed like direct lifts from other shows. 'My Boys' did "Brendan dates the young hipster girl and tries to keep up with her weird young person things" (right down to name checking a flash mob) years ago.

I remember that same plot on Cheers and Frasier, and it was probably already a classic by the time they used it. (And I thought of that Scrubs episode too.)

Maximum Taco

Maximum Taco

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 11:57 AM

I know it's cliche at this point, but...

Was also kind of expecting a "Am I a bad dad?" after this one. And the answer is "Yes, Ted, you are a bad dad." No child should have to hear about their parents conquests.

He also didn't do a voiceover, which I think means this is one he didn't tell the kids?

This one was light on the voiceovers but he did do a couple. I think he tells all these stories to the kids. He's not a very good dad.

I was kind of expecting this too, even if it was just Barney suggesting it to Robin to get immediately shut down. It would also have been an opportunity to get another Lily is a closeted bisexual joke in there.

Barney: I have to bang Ted's sister!
Robin: No.
Barney: Alright, how about a threesome?
Robin: No.
Barney: Alright final offer, you have to bang Ted's sister
Marshall: You know Robin, you should at least hear him out on that last one.
Lily: Yeah, yeah.

I feel really bad for Ted, his friends don't seem to care about him anymore. Wish he'd find new friends.

He's kind of turned into early season Barney hasn't he? Now everyone else is in a relationship and Ted's just going from meaningless one night stand to meaningless one night stand. And creepily banging girls who are over a decade younger than him.

Edited by Maximum Taco, Jan 22, 2013 @ 12:08 PM.