Ethan Embry as Greg Mendell: Just Passing Through
Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 12:04 AM
Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 1:04 AM
Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 3:04 AM
Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 6:41 AM
I have this feeling that Greg is going to check in at Granny's B&B and try to capture some magical action on camera. He can't exactly go to anyone outside of Storybrooke right now without proof.
While it's definitely possible Greg isn't from FTL in anyway, I still have a suspicion "HER" is left ambiguous because it's a name we would recognize, either from the show or a famous story.
Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 8:33 AM
Reasons to suggest he's Jekyll:
- Gregor Mendel is a scientist who studied plants
- Gertrude Jekyll was the sister of a childhood friend of Robert Louis Stevenson. Jekyll is a famous botanist and horticulturist
- Henry lampshading the fact that other fictional characters can show up at the same time Greg showed up
- Mendelian genetics is about dominant/recessive traits; Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde is about the duality of human nature (good/bad; dominant/recessive) and one side taking over
- His appearance is noted in a science-themed episode
- His casting call name was Barrett which means "quarrelsome," "dispute," or "deceitful," which could implication Jekyll/Hyde
- His casting call made note that he is "kind and smart" but has a "very dark side" (duality)
Reasons to suggest he's Oz:
- License plate 2KFL138 (Took Flight '38)
- Harry Kellar was a famous magician and the direct inspiration for Oz. Kellar is from Erie, Pennsylvania.
- The writers have said Oz will come into the picture
- It wouldn't be hard for Oz to get into our world
- Barrett means "deceitful"; Oz was a deceitful wizard who usurped the throne from princess Ozma
- Oz was "kind and smart," but also had a "dark side"
- The name Greg means "watchful"
And, of course, he could be no one at all. He seemed kind of surprised by magic in the episode, and neither Jekyll or Oz would really be all that shocked. Unless his alarm was due to the fact that he found "other" people who practice magic (like himself and HER).
Another possibility is that Greg could be Jekyll or Oz but *before* their respective stories took place. Maybe he gets sent back in time when traversing to FTL just like Baelfire was sent forward in time?
I dunno, I have a lot of theories. My brain can't help but find bizarre (and most likely meaningless) connections.
Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 2:54 PM
No, I think you've got some good stuff here. Hmm.
Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 8:48 PM
I read another theory somewhere that he could be Grendel (Greg + Mendel = Grendel) and HER could be Grendel's mother, but then why would he call her honey? And if he *is* Grendel, Storybrooke is screwed.
Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 12:28 AM
I'm thinking either Peter Pan.. or perhaps one of Ursula's minions. I know they want to introduce 'The Little Mermaid' and they have said it won't be this season, but I don't always trust what they say. Oz would be interesting too.
Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 1:57 PM
Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 12:17 PM
So he and Tamara are both using Neal to get to Storybrooke, and neither of them apparently have any qualms about hurting innocent people. Bleh. Those two deserve each other.
Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 12:34 PM
Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 12:50 PM
Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 1:34 AM
Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 12:23 PM