3-3: 2013.01.20

• Please log in to reply

221 replies to this topic

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 8:01 AM

I know folks who have had kids with donated eggs and people tell them that the kids look like their Mom. People see what they want to see. Mom could easily have been so distraught at the lose of her only child that when she met her grandson for the first time she wanted him to be her grandson and decided he looked like her deceased son. I grew up with a good number of adopted kids and plenty of folks thought that kids who I knew were adopted looked like their parents. We tend to see what we want to see. People tell me that my son is the spitting image of me but I don't really see that, he looks like himself. I can see bits of me and my husband but right now he is a 6 month old who is changing a lot and really developing his own look.

I doubt that any aristocratic family, especially new money, would immediatly embrace the idea that their Son had a baby with a Maid without demanding some type of proof. And it would have to be more then Mrs. Hughes seeing the two of them having sex and Ethel being pregnant at the right time after. The family could easily argue that if Ethel was having sex with their son then she was having sex with other people. Ethel could protest all she wants but it is nearly impossible to prove that she was monogamous. This is before DNA testing.

It appears that the family desperatly wants Charlie to be their grandson so that there is a connection to their deceased son. They have an easy out if they wanted to take it. The good news for Charlie is that they wanted him to be their Grandson, so he is. He will grow up with many advantages that he would not have as the son of a prostitute or even house maid. Will that make him happier? Who knows, money does not mean happy. William's Dad seems to be pretty happy as a farmer and the Grantham's seem to be worried and upset a fair amount of the time even with their position and money that is continually given to them from people outside of the direct bloodline.

Edited by ProfCrash, Jan 24, 2013 @ 8:04 AM.

prefector

prefector

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 9:42 AM

The thing about Branson is that Fellowes refuses to commit the character one way or another. Is he in the IRA or not? Is he just a journalist covering his times or is he actually taking part in them? JF seems to be keeping things purposefully vague so that he won't be stuck with a potentially "hot" romantic character doing unpopular political things. So he has Branson looking not so much like a revolutionary as a coward and a poser who's "Not really doing anything" but still vaguely "bad" as far as Papa is concerned. Grrrr. Bates should get out of the slam already! We want him back at his job and snarking at Thomas. Please let Ethel the prosty disappear.

susan sunflower

susan sunflower

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 11:19 AM

I get the feeling that with Fellowes there isn't a lot of "method in his madness" but that he writes the episodes on the run under the gun, one or two at a time. I suspect things that are "not in character" get worked out on the set by the actors protesting that their character has this history or precedent (or not) -- that's my fantasy anyway, given some of the abrupt character changes that have occurred (Cora, Isobel most alarmingly in season 2).

WRT Ireland, Fellowes seems to be - as is all the rage these days - making it apolitical and all about "individuals" in an effort to avoid displeasing anyone. I've read a few articles that have sort a one-sided historical revisionism about the IRA as " common terrorists" - again apolitical, not "freedom fighters" or holders of actual beliefs, just terrorists doing "bad things" which was how the house burning and Robert's reaction struck me. "Everyone" in the universe is appalled by terrorism, no one "likes" violence, so it's a way to gloss over the issues involved. In the United States, growing up in the 1950-60's, I recall a fair undercurrent of support, solidarity with another country trying to "throw off British rule" - The English were not so sympathetic!

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 12:41 PM

The thing about Branson is that Fellowes refuses to commit the character one way or another. Is he in the IRA or not? Is he just a journalist covering his times or is he actually taking part in them? JF seems to be keeping things purposefully vague so that he won't be stuck with a potentially "hot" romantic character doing unpopular political things. So he has Branson looking not so much like a revolutionary as a coward and a poser who's "Not really doing anything" but still vaguely "bad" as far as Papa is concerned.

I agree, although I think there are two other contributing factors

JF appears to care as much about the details of his imaginary world as Lord Grantham does about his estate. Reginald Swire goes from owing a great deal of money to Sir Richard Carlisle to tycoon with no explanation. As an attorney, Reggie Swire no doubt did well, but not likely that well. Or in this episode we learn that the estate has been mismanaged, apparently implying there's been no estate agent, contrary to what one would expect. Keeping things fuzzy about Tom means less need think about details.

The other contributing factor is JF's need for everything to take place at Downton or its environs (with a few notable exceptions). Thus

* The family appears to have no social life except for the random duke, viscount or archbishop who happen to stop by

* Before his injury, Matthew sets the British Army record for most time spent at an earl's estate while on active duty during WWI.

* Strallan jilts Edith at the altar. If he didn't, Edith would have to be written out of the series, at least as a regular, since there would be less reason for her to be around Downton.

Thus the wishy-washiness on Tom. If he's in the IRA, it's hard to imagine even an earl's influence would keep Tom out of prison, which means Tom, and possibly Sybil, wouldn't be at DA. If Tom is just a journalist, there's less reason to flee Ireland, so Tom & Sybill aren't at DA. But Tom & Sybill must be at DA. Hence the muddle.

Perhaps JF could have combined story lines by letting Edith get married, but have Tom burn down Strallan's house, thereby forcing Edith & Strallan to live at DA while Tom & Bates share a cell. Sybil can put her cake baking skills to use by baking Tom a cake with a file in it.

Edited by Constantinople, Jan 24, 2013 @ 12:43 PM.

susan sunflower

susan sunflower

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 1:25 PM

I would have loved to see Edith as Lady Strallen becoming the hostess with the mostest for Mary to compete with and I am missing those breath-of-fresh-air characters, Lady Rosamond and Richard Carlisle. Introducing more downstairs staff is likely just going to mean more interpersonal conflict and competition (since one character competing with another -- often in underhanded or rank-pulling ways -- is a recurring upstair and downstair phenomenon.) I had so counted on Martha to provide considerable back-story to explain how Cora came to be such a shadow of the girl she must have been. Having met Martha now, Cora is more of a mystery than ever, no matter how many times she reminds us that she is an American.Those early years must have been difficult.

ETA: However, the idea of a pre-quel appalls me. Different actors pretending to be Robert and Cora, Martha and Violet. No thank you. Rather, let M&M's new marriage, also between aristo and commoner, provide us that story in reflection.

Edited by susan sunflower, Jan 24, 2013 @ 1:29 PM.

RedHawk

RedHawk

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 3:56 PM

It would be interesting if Charlie ever learns that following "facts" about his mother: red hair, met and wed his father at Downton, subsequently died of Spanish flu, and falsely concludes that she is Lavinia Swire.

And in Season 10, Charlie (age 21) claims that he deserves the inheritance money from Reggie, his supposed grandfather. Matthew, despite Mary's intense protestations, agrees, so signs Downton over to Charlie.

Mary must sell her clothes and jewels. Matthew goes down the mines.
The series ends.

Edited by RedHawk, Jan 25, 2013 @ 3:57 PM.

kohola3

kohola3

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2013 @ 3:13 PM

Looking for a quick recap of Episode 3? Here is the "Entirely on Facebook" version:

http://www.happyplac...son-3-episode-3

That is freaking hysterical!

Edited by kohola3, Jan 26, 2013 @ 3:13 PM.

Ikatacata

Ikatacata

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2013 @ 11:16 PM

Entirely on Facebook is brilliant

Better than the show.

keagan1

keagan1

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2013 @ 11:19 PM

Whenever a character says, ďThereís something Iíve been wanting to say,Ē itís likely that character wonít get to say it in time. So when Daisy said that to Alfred, I knew something would happen to cut her off. I hate that kind of writing.

It's Soap Opera 101. Along with someone saying saying something within earshot of the Worst-Possible-Person-to-Have-Heard-It (var: doing something in the line of sight of the Worst-Possible-Person-to-Have-Seen-It).

Not to pile on, but...Bates and Anna have become that part of your DVRed soap that you FF through.

Edited by keagan1, Jan 26, 2013 @ 11:22 PM.

ravenqueen

ravenqueen

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 10:50 AM

I'm sticking with my theory that Mary is using some sort of birth control.

I, too, concluded that Mary's visit to the doctor was not just for allergy medication, otherwise they wouldn't have brought it up. But I really think Mary is having some trouble getting pregnant, or thinks she is. A decent amount of time has passed since Mary and Matthew got married, and the implication seems to be that the two of them are, erm, "doing it" very frequently, so although I don't know the exact amount of time that must pass for a person to be able to reasonably sound the infertility alarm, I feel that unless she was either a) infertile/semi-infertile or b) taking specific action not to get pregnant, she would be pregnant by now. While the birth control theory is a decent one, and I wouldn't put it past Mary at all, but honestly the only reasoning I can come up with for her not wanting to have kids yet is that she's worried about her and Matthew's relationship falling apart because they fight so much. So it's a possibility, but ... I'm not sure how likely.

My theory with Mary is that she is having trouble getting pregnant but wants to pretend she's choosing not to get pregnant yet. I think she'd rather have people believe she's choosing not to have a baby instead of thinking that she can't have one.

THIS. This is genius. Mary looks like one of those people who can't stand being thought of as a victim of any kind, and I think she would take having problems getting pregnant as something that makes her inadequate. I can totally see her acting like she doesn't want kids yet/at all as opposed to having to tell people that she's not able to (although it would probably get out eventually, complete with a big, tearful scene).

Not to pile on, but...Bates and Anna have become that part of your DVRed soap that you FF through.

Oh goodness, I agree. I was really hoping for some sort of new, powerful, Tommy and Tuppence style detective team in Anna and Bates (with Bates giving the clues and Anna sleuthing), but no. They've always been really cute and sweet and sappy, which I think was originally part of their charm, but they're starting to go from cute and sweet to cloying and saccharine. I understand that they feel as though they have to give Bates his own little story in prison relatively independent from Anna, but the whole "where are my letters" plotline was kind of annoying. Also - this may just be me, but I sense that over the course of the season (more in the last two episodes than this one, but still) that Bates keeps implying that he killed Vera. It's like he's trying to get Anna to think that he did it, and to doubt him, which is seriously annoying but so very, very BATES that I'm starting to think that's actually what he's doing.

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 1:33 PM

Bates and Anna are still my favorite pair, although I do wish he could get back to Downton and into trouble that isn't so life-threatening. I don't think he's trying to get Anna to doubt him at all, it's more that he's still bemused at the thought that she has so much faith in him. He said something about being a murderer to his cellmate, but that was to intimidate him.

The prison is as strong a location as the Abbey, in a totally different, bleak way. Somehow the WWI trenches didn't pack in as much horror for me as the stone walls and metal clanking doors do.

CaptSlow

CaptSlow

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 12:21 PM

I avoided the show for 3 years, taking only quick peeks at it in HD on the ATSC side of my tuner. I did notice that the scenery both inside and outside was awesome, but that wasn't enough to get me to watch it.  But, as the conclusion of Season 3 came, it seemed every one was talking about the shocking ending, and my curiosity peaked. So when the local PBS affiliate anouced they were going to run SE1 through SE3 prior to airing SE4, I decided that I owed it to myself to at least try to set through the premier episode.

I never got hooked so hard, so fast!!!

Can't contain my excitement.  Tonight on local PBS: Downton Abbey SE3 EP3,EP4, EP5!!!

Will be in church for Christmas play but will DVR as always and stretch them out during the week in preparation for SE3 EP6, just after Hugh Bonneville as "Mr. Stink", next Sunday!