14-4: 2013.01.21

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

59 replies to this topic

GrrlPower

GrrlPower

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 1:50 PM

So when Danni leaves (which she will, since she is bound to have a bad week as soon as she gets her period) what happens to Sunni? They've brought the kids back to the ranch several times for challenges and things, but without a white team, is Sunni just on her own now?

The editing monkeys did a lot of showing Frangelina (or whatever her name is) with the white team and NOT with the red team. Expecting her to defect any week now.

I don't remember anyone defecting since that light-skinned black chick (forgot her name) ran from Kim to Jillian. I supported that move b/c Kim was a self-centered unknowledgeable trainer too concerned about her image than helping these obese people, but I'm not exactly rooting for Frangela (am I close?) I guess b/c Dolvett is competent and AFAIK, he's been very supportive and uplifting toward her.

I don't see the kids losing much weight, though. I know they cannot be eliminated, but I thought they would at least get weighed!

I don't want the kids being weighed in every week. That can create unhealthy obsessions about a number on a scale when they should just be worried about being healthy, active and putting nourishing foods into their body.

QueenBee78

QueenBee78

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 2:07 PM

I am betting the kids haven't lost much if anything. 'Cause I didn't hear ANY of the trainers say, "OMG you look great!" to any of them. Which, again, if Biingo Mom can drop 27 lbs, enough time has passed for Stillwell Angel to have dropped a few. They showed their improved refrigerator but did they mention activities that the family does? Guessing Stillwell Angel is still racking up the hours in front of the tv.

I don't think they should weigh them in, but I would have expected to notice a difference and have them say, "OH, Sunni has lost X lbs since this started." Or, Lindsay can now do X situps....something!

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 2:41 PM

Jackson usually bugs me, but his quip about really being a rich, bald, black man was pretty funny.

What I like about this season (at least so far) is that they aren't going out of their way to pit the contestants against each other.

tipsymcstagger

tipsymcstagger

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 2:49 PM

I am betting the kids haven't lost much if anything.

ITA. There is absolutely no reason why those children haven't lost at least a little weight. At that age their metabolism is relatively quick and if some of the middle aged contestants have lost upwards of 40+ lbs in that duration - no excuse why the kids are still morbidly obese. Now granted the adults are at a ranch with upwards of 6+ hrs of exerercise a day but the kids should have lost SOMETHING. Methinks the children are giving a lot of lip service to 'healthy lifestyles' and very little action. I wish they'd get rid of that entire angle...it's completely uneventful and it makes me uncomfortable watching children get armchair analyzed by complete and utter laymen on national TV. It's absolutely ridiculous that these TV trainers think they're qualified for psychoanalysis...dumb. Just lifting weights and looking good does not a psychoanalyst make.

Oh...and that cheerleader storyline was so grody. You could actually see the fake coming out of your TV screen. And this is coming from a former high school cheerleader. A few minutes on the TV and those kids will say anything. Poor Lindsay - hope she didn't fall for that B.S.

eastlandgal

eastlandgal

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 3:13 PM

Oh...and that cheerleader storyline was so grody. You could actually see the fake coming out of your TV screen. And this is coming from a former high school cheerleader. A few minutes on the TV and those kids will say anything. Poor Lindsay - hope she didn't fall for that B.S.

Oh, I know...I was absolutely cringing the entire time. Lindsay was so obviously not picking up the cheer, and when the rest of the girls were forced to literally embrace her afterwards, I was actually annoyed - any other girl who was half as shitty as Lindsay at cheer tryouts would not be given the time of day. It kinda reminded me of MTV's "Made," where you always get the feeling that the high school kids featured would never deal with the wannabees if not for the cameras.

The kid storyline was what hooked me this season - I normally never watch - and so far it's been a disappointment. I agree that each child should have lost more weight at this point. Also:

Stillwell Angel

DEAD. Thank you for that.

As for the adults, I hated Pam, so I was happy to see her go.

ChicagoCita

ChicagoCita

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 4:49 PM

I'm enjoying the lack of drama, because I stopped watching during the Britt Brats' reign of terror last season. However, I think they forgot to pair "interesting" with "drama-free." Yes, for the most part, they got a very nice, non-malicious contestant pool. But their personalities, for the most part, are just meh. I actually like Gina because I can tell her apart from everyone else. Most of the rest, if the show switched their shirt colors, I wouldn't notice. I think that's why Jackson is getting the hero edit, because he's someone who can be differentiated from the pack.

Say what you will about Hannah, Olivia and Tara, but they not only worked their asses off (literally), but they had actual personalities.

I thought I was the only one not noticing that the kids aren't losing weight. I know the show is purposely not weighing them in, but at least they could say "Sunny is down a dress size!" or "Bingo can now do twice the number of sit-ups he could four weeks ago!" or "Lindsay's blood sugar is now near normal."

Given a choice between conniving, stupid backstabbers and this group, I'll take this group. But I wish someone had told them it was okay to be interesting and funny.

gryphon

gryphon

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 4:49 PM

Guessing Stillwell Angel is still racking up the hours in front of the tv.

Hee. Wouldn't it be Stiilwell Angel?

I am glad someone mentioned that the kids--especially Biingo--do not look thinner. The girls have lost a bit in their faces, I think, but to me, Biingo looked even a little more chunky this week. It's strange.

I'm starting to like Jackson a bit...he's kind of growing on me. Hating Jeff. Liking Lisa (WI represent!) Lisa seems to have a good head on her shoulders and seems to avoid most of the drama so far. I hope that continues.

This episode was ok but seemed rather long to me. Maybe it was because of the kids' home visits. So, both Sunny and Biingo are only children?

kassa

kassa

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 4:58 PM

I thought the Indian girl looked slimmer -- her neck and shoulders seemed more slender.

Biingo has an advantage -- he could shoot up 3-4 inches in the time it takes to film. The girls, not so much.

A friend of mine went to high school with Pam -- said that dance was something she did all the time in school when she was happy. So I'm glad she's home and doing well and I bet she'll look awesome at the finale. Hopefully she won't do the dance in formal wear.

tartaruga

tartaruga

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 5:05 PM

Yeah I'm getting bored with the kid stuff, not that I had much hope for it being great TV from the start. Hopefully next week we won't see so much of them because this week was so kid-heavy. Not sure I agree that it's bad that they don't look thinner. It's only been a month and slow steady weightloss (which is really what they should be aiming for) won't be visible in that short time. LOL at them at the beginning though - 'they have no idea I'm here!' Yeah I'm sure they didn't notice the camera crew setting up and filming them in their school/house before you arrived either :facepalm:

Jillian looked good at the weigh in. Her hair looked great. Damn she looked fine, she can shout at me any day.

Yeah Dolvett's pretty, but he's blaaaand. Sorry, but all I hear out his mouth is cliches and platitudes.

m74

m74

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 11:42 PM

I wish the challenges came with immunity or at least a scale advantage. Maybe we aren't seeing it, but it sure seems like White and Red are working harder and seeing more fitness gains than Blue, but Blue continues to do well on the scale.

Not really sorry to see Pam go, although I don't think I have quite as much Pam-hate as I should, not sure why. But she's doing well at home so good for her - even the ones I don't like, I'm happy to see succeed. And poor Danni. Isn't it time they merged and re-divided the teams? Don't they usually do that even when one team isn't decimated?

I actually thought the kids looked like they had lost some weight, even B-I can't spell-INGO. At first I didn't think so, but then they did a brief cut to one of his pre-show video segments and I saw that his face does actually seem slimmer. But I actually respect the premise that they are not going to make a big deal out of the kids' weights, and I think not trying to slip it in the sideways by making a big deal about how they look by the trainers or if they've dropped a clothing size or something else that is still a direct proxy for weight loss.

auntie thesis

auntie thesis

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 12:50 AM

Jillian is down to one team member. ZOMG!

Jeff can't handle the pressure. Better go over by Mr. Crossfit and cower. Stat!

Francelina and her tatas running a 5K. Wonder how she'll do if she's still around to run the obligatory TBL end-of-season marathon. Bounce bounce titties bounce...might knock a sister out someday.

Jackson is a secret badass. ZOMG!

Pam is gone. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn girl, I won't miss you at all. harhar.

Joe is coasting on his 1992 glory. This whole former NFL guy gone fat trying to go back thing has been done before and Antwan was much more impressive. *yawn*

So overall, a bland episode packed full of manufactured bs and non drah-ma. The kids don't effect me one way or the other, really. I like the girls and wish them best of luck, but I don't see that they are really adding anything to the show. Except filler, that is.

Two Bluejays

Two Bluejays

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 6:34 AM

I was actually annoyed - any other girl who was half as shitty as Lindsay at cheer tryouts would not be given the time of day.

In Lindsay's defense, she's thirteen and those girls up front are probably the varsity squad so they're at least 16 years old. (if not older since my high school's varsity cheerleading squads were almost always senior and juniors.) Three years is quite a gap in childhood development. If she started working towards it I see no reason why she couldn't make the team when she gets to high school. And she's no doubt nervous about learning a new unfamiliar routine with a camera recording her every move. I would be nervous and I'm almost three times her age.

I've noticed in some of the flashbacks to the first week that Sunny's dimple doesn't seem as prominent anymore and her face definitely looks slimmer. Biingo I can't really say I've noticed anything different about him but as he tends to make my eyes glaze over anyway, that's not saying much.

I have to agree that it seemed a little odd that Jillian and Bob were getting all 'Mommy and Daddy' over the contestants. I really like Dolvett and his no-nonsense attitude towards training. I don't want to see Dolvet go now that Jillian's back. I like me my pretty boys every now and then.

The Blue team is very whiny and lazy and I am over Jeff. Just over him and waah-waaah-poor-me BS. If you have enough breath to piss and moan and talk back to your trainer, then you're not working hard enough. You should be able to talk in short bursts when you're working out like that, not hold forth like a law professor on all the ways that Jillian is belittling you and offending you. If you have that much air in your lungs, you're not working hard enough.

Jackson was awesome. I'm happy he got a big number and that my screen is now dry-heaves and puke free.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 7:36 AM

My trainer always told me that if you are able to read a book or have a phone conversation, you are not working hard enough. Jeff being able to chat so easily with Jillian tells me that he was not working hard. The best part is that he had a crappy number.

Jillian's approach is not for everyone, it would not work for me, but suck it up for a few hours and do what you are told. The reality is that you are on a show to lose weight because you failed to motivate yourself or find anyone who could motivate you. Jeff, and every other contestant, has developed crap habits and needs serious help to develop better habits. Frankly, he has no idea what works for him. Probably any one of the three trainers methods would work for him in the short term because he needs to lose a ton of weight. They all have solid exercise routines that work well when combined with a proper diet. The fact that he so loves Bob tells me that he is comfortable and comfortable and contestant on Biggest Loser tends to equal crap weight lose. And that is what we saw, 0 pounds in week two and then hardly any this week. He needs to shut up and get uncomfortable.

Pam, as annoying as she was, finally figured it out and shut up and worked through Jillian's routine. Surprisingly, she found she could go longer and harder then she thought. She also found that Jillian could be very supportive once you got with the program. She had a massive number last week so it is not surprising that she did not have a great number this week. She came in third in the 5K and really looked to be working her butt off. The lesson stuck and she looks great. She has lost a ton of weight, possibly the most I have seen an early departing contestant lose, and seems to be a great deal happier. Maybe the lesson that she can do more than she thinks in the gym translated to other areas in her life.

I thought all the kids look like they are losing weight. I am thrilled that they are not giving us any numbers and focusing on getting healthy and not obsessing over the numbers. I think it is good that Jillian helped Sunny see that her stress was a massive part of her problem and encouraged her to talk to her Mom about it. I don't know that the conversation would ahve gone as well without the cameras there but it was good for Sunny to hear that her Mom wants her to be happy.

Bob's discussion about eating healthy even when money is tight was a bit phoney. I am sure that each of the kids is receiving a stipend for being on the show and that money is going to help with the groceries. I can see how the grocery bill for the healthy stuff might be the same as the grocery bill for the crap. They are probably eating less while eating healthy and so the money spent on massive quantities of ice cream, soda, cookies, and candy could equal what is spent on soy milk and veggies. I wish they had commented on that "Yes the food is more expensive but we really arn't paying more because we are eating less then we were when we ate far too much cheap junk. And we have cut back going out to eat which has saved us money."

Dolvett was fine. He struggled to pick up the cheer as well. I thought the interaction was cute and I hope that she seriosuly works to be a cheerleader. If it is something she wants to do, she can set it as a goal and use it to help her get into shape so she can make the cheer team.

dreamer55

dreamer55

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 8:57 AM

Hee. Wouldn't it be Stiilwell Angel?

LOL!! Amazing.

Yeah Dolvett's pretty, but he's blaaaand. Sorry, but all I hear out his mouth is cliches and platitudes.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. He's gorgeous and seems nice, but he does speak in cliches about 85% of the time. But that's my gripe with this show in general. I'd love it if a contestant came along who DIDN'T tell me that "I have to push myself even more" or "I need to get to the next level" or "Our team really has to bring it this week." BLAH BLAH BLAH SHUT UP.

In regards to Biingo, I thought he DID look slimmer. There was a brief flashback to him pre-BL, playing video games, and his chubby face was even chubbier.

What bugged me the most in this episode was that I knew White was going to lose the weigh-in simply because there wasn't enough time left at the end of the show for a vote - I knew it would be an automatic elimination. I wish they'd get sneaky and add an additional five or seven minutes of something AFTER the elimination just to give it a little mystery.

Still rooting for Gina.

Mrs OldManBalls

Mrs OldManBalls

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 10:35 AM

The buddy-buddy we're friends you're not crap with Jillian & Bob made me want to Jackson on myself.

Jackson on myself! I love it!
This season is working for me. No drama, just people trying to better themselves after years of not making healthy decisions.

JLVerde

JLVerde

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 2:00 PM

I can see how the grocery bill for the healthy stuff might be the same as the grocery bill for the crap.

If we are to believe that the kids' families really had all that crap in their pantries (and that a lot wasn't planted to make it more dramatic as they tossed it all) then hell yes their grocery bills (junk vs healthy) could easily be the same.

Have you priced the cost of pop lately? It's expensive as hell, even when it's on sale. If they stopped buying just their weekly pop ration they'd have a nice bit of funds for healthier items like fresh produce.

I'd love to see TBL do a segment like that, comparing a junky grocery trip to a healthy one cost wise. Junky food does not automatically mean inexpensive. And eating healthier doesn't automatically mean you have to spend tons of time prepping, either.

Frost

Frost

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 2:09 PM

What bugged me the most in this episode was that I knew White was going to lose the weigh-in simply because there wasn't enough time left at the end of the show for a vote - I knew it would be an automatic elimination.

Exactly. The clock was a dead giveaway. Once we got past the 45 minute mark, I knew it had to be Pam or Danni going home. Is it possible they'll rearrange the teams to give Danni a team mate or two? Have they ever done that in the past?

freebie

freebie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 3:48 PM

In Lindsay's defense, she's thirteen and those girls up front are probably the varsity squad so they're at least 16 years old. (if not older since my high school's varsity cheerleading squads were almost always senior and juniors.) Three years is quite a gap in childhood development. If she started working towards it I see no reason why she couldn't make the team when she gets to high school. And she's no doubt nervous about learning a new unfamiliar routine with a camera recording her every move. I would be nervous and I'm almost three times her age.

Agreed. I thought Dolvett introduced those girls as members of the high school squad, not of Lindsay's middle school squad (i.e., they weren't the same girls who had been mean to her). Also, from my experience, the set-up (what we saw anyway) wasn't at all like tryouts. It looked like the squad was just doing a routine, and Lindsay was invited to jump in and do the best she could to keep up with them. At tryouts, though, you would spend some time learning the routines, then put it all together. Depending on how competitive your school's squad is, tryouts might last a week or two, with participants learning cheer routines, jumps, tumbling, and stunts. Admittedly, my tryout experience was limited to the university level (I was a dancer/gymnast before college, but had never cheered). Over a few weeks we learned two different routines to music, complete with partnering and stunts, plus a number of jumps, then had to perform at tryouts. What was I thinking?

In other news, I hate the trainer drama, but am pleasantly surprised so far this season with the lack of drama among the contestants. Sure, there are some people I'd like to know more about and some that seem to get a bit too much air time, but I'm generally interested in everyone at this point. As for the kids and weight loss, I agree that when you compare the segments from this episode with some of the earlier footage, all of the kids look like they've lost some weight. Biingo actually looked pretty spry on the baseball field, even with his little boot on (and yes, you can do a bit of running in a boot, as long as you don't decide to set off on a distance run or a hike or something). And his pitching skills seemed pretty good for a kid his age. As a vertically-challenged person myself, I also think that any weight loss Biingo might be experiencing will be less noticeable than the same loss (in pounds) in a taller child. Seriously, 5 extra pounds on me is a lot more noticeable than 5 extra pounds on a friend who's 5'9" (I'm 4'11"). Fortunately for Biingo (but not for grown-up me), he'll start to slim down even more when the growth spurt really kicks into high gear.

sorry2004

sorry2004

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 3:52 PM

There are some beautiful hairstyles for African American women.

Yes there are and wearing our hair natural is one of them.

OnceSane

OnceSane

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 4:48 PM

here are some beautiful hairstyles for African American women.

Yes there are and wearing our hair natural is one of them.

IA. I like Francelgelina's hair (sorry, I have no clue what her name is).

This season may be light on drama, but I'm not as annoyed/irritated by the contestants so it's a win for me. Though I'm not sad to see Pam go especially after her "Damn, girl!" & scale dancing.

I'm over the kids, though. It was a good idea, but the execution kinda sucks.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 5:39 PM

They should have chosen kids close to the Ranch so that they could work with them more. Include the kids and their families in a how to cook segments. Get the parents to exercise with the kids. Go for hikes, walks, bike rides, swimming, play tennis.

Barton

Barton

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 10:31 PM

I'd love to see TBL do a segment like that, comparing a junky grocery trip to a healthy one cost wise. Junky food does not automatically mean inexpensive. And eating healthier doesn't automatically mean you have to spend tons of time prepping, either.

Exactly, that's what everyone really needs to see. In fact I wish they would spend more time focusing on their diet, how they choose food, prepare it, potion it, whatever. The whole focus seems to be on the sweating in the gym as if that's what's most important in weight loss, when it's mainly due to how and what you eat.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 7:47 AM

Agreed Barton. Which is why I think they are not usign the kids to their fullest. I'll take most of my comments to the how to improvce the show thread. I think they could be using their kids and their families to actually show people how to do things that would make life healthier and are easier.

flingle

flingle

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 10:09 AM

I'm a newcomer to the show - I started watching last season because I couldn't believe it was as bad as I had heard. It was.

IA they aren't using the kids to their best advantage. What about something really crazy like having all three teams relocate to the kids' cities so they can workout and eat together. They would have to plan ahead for challenges (maybe have the three teams compete in a 5K at indoor tracks) and weigh ins, but the teams would be more involved with the kids.

And ITA about the phony cheerleaders. Yikes, that made me uncomfortable.

bendercat

bendercat

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 11:12 AM

Loved the part when Jillian and Jeff were going at it and Danni and Pam said something like "look away, keep hitting the tire with the hammer". Not sure what they said, but their expressions said it all.

Speaking of Jeff, could his problem with Jillian also be a bit of chauvinism? Has a woman ever spoken to him like that? Maybe.

Never heard the expression "damn girl", but I'll never forget it now.

While joining the crew team was showing Sunni how to do something different, I think it would have been a good idea to do something like go for a bike ride, something Sunni can fit into her busy schedule and is fun. I think she looked like she may have lost a little bit of weight.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 12:22 PM

I loved the Jillian struggled with the rowing. I thought that was great. While I agree the biking would be easier for Sunni to do, crew is excellent exercise and would introduce her to an entire new group of people who could be supportative of her efforts to get in shape.

katje

katje

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 2:34 PM

I missed this episode when it ran because my husband and I were watching season one of American Horror Story on DVD. I finally caught up online yesterday.

I cringed a bit when Bob referred to "my blue team." It seems he is quickly adopting the "team" mindset he's had every single season, which Jillian appeared to be suggesting they wouldn't have when she delivered her "we are all here for all of you" talk. And his team appears to be falling into the same pattern of codependency his teams always adopt. The moment he wasn't there, they half-assed everything they did. It seemed like sheer dumb luck kept them from losing the weigh-in. I am really anxious to see them lose a weigh-in and finally have to send someone home.

The cheerleaders: I couldn't help suspecting that if they were off-camera and away from adults, they'd have been nasty and excluding to Lindsay. (I would love to be wrong about that, though.)

I can't see "Biingo" on my screen without reading it as "Bih-ingo." Hate that double "I."

Speaking of Jeff, could his problem with Jillian also be a bit of chauvinism? Has a woman ever spoken to him like that? Maybe.

I thought of that, too--I thought he might have a mild case of Sione-ism.

Bob and Jillian with the whole "I don't care"; "Yes, you do": stop playing out your weird psychodrama/faux "bad mommy" and "nice daddy" thing. Just be trainers. And stop shutting out Dolvett.

Edited by katje, Jan 27, 2013 @ 2:35 PM.

GrrlPower

GrrlPower

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 7:43 PM

I used to be annoyed at what seemed like Bobillian shutting out Dolvett, but quite honestly, he is the new kid in school and that pair have been together for years. In any relationship, you can't just walk in and expect to be clued into the "inside jokes" and best besties with everyone. It takes time to build rapport. I don't think it's intentional and I haven't seen the duo blatantly do anything mean to shut Dovlett out. The little things like Jillian jumping on Bob on stage in the season premiere happens b/c they have known each other for years. It would be odd for her to do that with Dolvett. I do see a lot of Bobillian working out their teams together, but viewers don't know why Dolvett doesn't join them - it could be b/c Dolvett prefers a different training style, hell, it might be that Dolvett is the one distancing himself. We just don't know enough to assume it's Bobillian who is in the wrong here - or if anyone is in the wrong.

katje

katje

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 10:26 AM

I do see a lot of Bobillian working out their teams together, but viewers don't know why Dolvett doesn't join them - it could be b/c Dolvett prefers a different training style, hell, it might be that Dolvett is the one distancing himself. We just don't know enough to assume it's Bobillian who is in the wrong here - or if anyone is in the wrong.

Yeah, I was thinking more of the joint workout sessions. It would be odd for Jillian to jump onto Dolvett (though amusing, nonetheless). But as you say, I guess we have no way to know whether Bob and/or Jillian offered to join forces with Dolvett.

Edited by katje, Jan 28, 2013 @ 10:26 AM.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 2:04 PM

Catching up On Demand. Wow, I am already sick of, "Day-um, girl!!" I know Pam's happy, but just don't.