The Real Husbands of Hollywood: Kevin Hart Made BET Do It.

• Please log in to reply

235 replies to this topic

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 7:22 PM

I hope I'm missing the thread for this show. Otherwise an insanely funny show starring Kevin Hart, Boris Kodjoe, JB Smoove, Robin Thicke, Nick Cannon and Duane Martin isn't being talked about and that ain't right. At least it did great in the ratings so I don't have to worry about it being cancelled anytime soon. The show airs Tuesdays at 10pm.

Here's a great review by "The Grio" Real Husbands of Hollywood represents the best of BET..

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Jan 16, 2013 @ 7:25 PM.

tvweb44

tvweb44

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 7:42 PM

I was just looking for the thread too.... So thank you. I anxiously anticipated the show and finally....an appointment tv show. I wasn't disappointed at all. Loved it. Kevin is a straight fool and BET is smart for backing this. Great job by everyone.
The coining of the word "Mitch" was genius.

Edited by tvweb44, Jan 16, 2013 @ 8:01 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 7:54 PM

Kevin is a straight fool and BET is smart for backing this

Word. So many great moments and I loved the fact that Kevin is convinced both Mariah Carey(Nick Cannon's wife) and Tisha Campbell(Duane Martin's wife) want him. And then he only agrees to let Robin Thicke hang out with them because he's obsessed with Paula Patton (Robin Thicke's wife).

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Jan 16, 2013 @ 7:55 PM.

shopper gal

shopper gal

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 8:32 PM

Only three comments - oh boy. Good thing the ratings were high.

Thoroughly enjoyed this show. Enjoyed all the characters. I remember hearing about this show, but the premier caught me off guard. I don't catch BET often and just happened to see the promo for Kevin on Wendy Williams.

And loved Robin Thicke as a kinda jackass name dropper b/c that's the vibe he gives off in interviews.

Really attractive cast too - minus JB Smoove. Just can't get behind him. He is nice and tall though.

Edited by shopper gal, Jan 16, 2013 @ 8:39 PM.

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 8:55 PM

I too thoroughly enjoyed the show. Kevin getting beaten up by and then trying to sue a little boy.

I think it's too early to call Robin Thicke a jack a** name dropper could be he was just trying to fit in, something that Kevin was making it impossible to do.

Question -- Is Nelly supposed to be the character who is not an actual husband or was he a guest player in the episode?

kia112

kia112

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 9:26 PM

Can I catch this online somewhere? I don't have cable and this is seriously the only time I wish that I had BET.

Rina99

Rina99

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 9:30 PM

Aww, I didn't know this had started. Thank goodness for reruns. I see it's playing again at 9:00 Friday, and my DVR is ready.

Edited by Rina99, Jan 16, 2013 @ 9:30 PM.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 10:17 PM

I'm probably just pop culture-impaired enough that elements of this will go right over my head, but anything that skewers the RHo* series has to be worth at least a look-see...

AyeshaTheGreat

AyeshaTheGreat

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 10:48 PM

Question -- Is Nelly supposed to be the character who is not an actual husband or was he a guest player in the episode?

I didn't see him in the credits but I do like having a cast member who has never been married, just like Kevin is divorced.

I liked the show even if I didn't find the pilot to be hilarious. I loved the kid, Nick Cannon's nephew, and if he keeps showing up to beat up Kevin Hart, I will continue to enjoy. The show definitely got better as it went along. I'm looking forward to the next episode.

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 1:56 AM

Nelly was listed as guest starring. I thought I was going to hate it but I laughed so much! Kevin is a mess and had good friends to be down with his foolishness. Kevin Hart is so tiny. I cackled when he was standing across from Robin.

shockey80te

shockey80te

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 2:21 AM

I watched it with absolutely zero expectations and was pleasantly surprised by how funny it was. It worked because all of the men involved are willing to be the butt of jokes.

Even the preview for next week's ep was hilarious.
- Kevin is wearing the idiotic suit.
- Robin Thicke asks Boris Kodjoe (I think) how he convinced Kevin to meet with him. Boris said, "Kevin thinks he's meeting your wife." Then they show Kevin at the table with a huge bouquet of flowers.

Queena

Queena

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 7:56 AM

I liked it. Would have been better if it was a hour long. Boris Kodjoe...did he get better with age or what?

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 6:02 PM

Question -- Is Nelly supposed to be the character who is not an actual husband or was he a guest player in the episode

He's not listed as a castmember on BET's website for this show, nor was he mentioned in any of the promos, so I'm assuming he was just a guest star.

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 11:55 PM

Tonight's episode was so funny. Everybody owned Kevin tonight, poor little tink tink.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 2:32 PM

Yeah, it was a funny episode although I preferred the pilot. I hope Kevin getting beat up by that 11(or 9) year old is a recurring thing. And it's great that the show is getting so much love from other celebrities who are willing to show up in an episode. Also Robin Thicke is impressing me with his comedic chops.

Ty

Ty

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 1:02 PM

Any appearance by Ed O'Neill is a home run for me

Gata

Gata

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 26, 2013 @ 4:54 PM

I like this show, I had to relax and realize that Kevin is supposed to be OTT. I don't watch any of the housewife series, so at first I didn't understand Kevin, but now I get it. My least favorite part is the kid hitting Kevin, this episode more so than the first one. I don't know of any adult that would bring a child to fight an adult!!!

This is a weekly record for me.

BTW: It wasn't Boris that tried to mend Kevin and Robin's relationship, it was Nelly. Nelly and Robin are supposedly good friends in this show.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 3:17 PM

I just watched the first ep ondemand, immedietly set a Season Recording, one of the funniest things I've seen this year (granted, the year is a month old, but still). Liked it a lot better than the new Wayans show it's paired with.

tvweb44

tvweb44

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 9:43 AM

Last night's episode was the funniest one yet! I laughed my face off.

Robin Thicke grew mad comedic chops in 3 episodes. But the one that cracks me up the most besides Kevin is JB Smoove.

Robin: Did Kevin just hit me?
JB: He just knocked three songs out your ass.

Slow it down and read the dialog when the argument breaks out at the gym. It's crazy!

Look what Shaunie O'Neal has done to us!

This show is golden.

Edited by tvweb44, Jan 30, 2013 @ 9:51 AM.

Gata

Gata

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 10:28 AM

Kevin is so OTT and a DIVA...spending money like it's water. Refusing to put on his listening ears, he will definitely be broke in 4 more episodes - LOL.

Yes that line from JB made me laugh out loud.

I couldn't catch all the dialog when they were fighting, but I will check it out again, since I didn't delete it from my DVR.

This is must see TV for me.

TheotherWalter

TheotherWalter

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 11:46 AM

My favorite part was when Nelly was giving his confessional and then they did the wide shot of it being at Kevin's house and there was Kevin listening to every word. I never liked KH before but he has won me over..

You have to pause that arguement; it's hilarious

JB - Duane aint in a movie unless it got basketball in it
KH to BJ - You look like Tyra Banks. Give her that forehead back

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 12:35 PM

Last night's was definitely the best episode.

From the moment Robin jumped over the table and broke that bottle I started laughing. Kevin jumping on Duane's back to hide, Boris yelling in German, JB crying about messing up Taco Tuesday. So funny!

Then the fight at the gym was even better. The digs they were getting in at each other were a riot. At one point I thought the subtitles were just making things up because I couldn't hear everything they were saying.

Loved, loved, loved Robin tagging Kevin in the end. He deserved it times 10.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 3:26 PM

Kevin is so OTT and a DIVA...spending money like it's water. Refusing to put on his listening ears, he will definitely be broke in 4 more episodes - LOL.

Kevin may be crazy but he ain't stupid. Buying the rights to Nelly's workout video was genius and I think kevin's lawyer, Tami, and doing things like buying the rights to Nelly's workout tape will keep Kevin out of the poor house.

And on a shallow note, Tami is gorgeous.

kia112

kia112

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 6:47 PM

Nelly - As soon as Dave Chappelle comes back from Africa, back to ComicView for you.

DEAD! Is ComicView even on the air anymore?!

Edited by kia112, Jan 30, 2013 @ 6:49 PM.

spaceytraci17

spaceytraci17

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 8:00 PM

This has become the "little show that could" for me; I really didn't get into the first episode, I saw a bit of the 2nd and it was better. Last night was what I was hoping the show would be all along, and I'm so glad I tuned in.

Favorite joke of the night was during the workout taping when Kevin says to Nelly "When was your last hit? You haven't had a hit song since Duane was on TV!" I damn near died! I love that the guys are willing to be the butt of jokes like that. And Robine Thicke is funny...who knew?

Nelly - As soon as Dave Chappelle comes back from Africa, back to ComicView for you.

DEAD! Is ComicView even on the air anymore?!

Actually, it just came back recently...with Kevin Hart as the host (no lie)! They had to have written that joke for that purpose, but it was still funny.

Brooklynista

Brooklynista

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 8:15 PM

Oh shit!!! How come nobody said my baby Dolvett Quince was in this episode?!? Good lord that's a pretty man.

I don't care if it was just a guest appearance, this is going on the DVR rotation.

Edited by Brooklynista, Jan 30, 2013 @ 8:16 PM.

johchi

johchi

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 8:24 PM

At one point I thought the subtitles were just making things up because I couldn't hear everything they were saying.

They were making things up. From what I could tell, they didn't say all of those things.

I agree that it's refreshing to see stars willing to mock themselves. And who knew that Boris and Robin had the funny?

charmgirl

charmgirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:36 AM

I agree that it's refreshing to see stars willing to mock themselves. And who knew that Boris and Robin had the funny?

I know, right??!! That was some funny stuff. I loved the "Last Time of Real Husbands of Hollywood".. when they were walking over the hot coals. Boris was trying to walk like a runway model before the heat started getting to him. Ha!

And the pants Kevin was wearing for the hot coals and the workout video -- Comedy Gold! Just Priceless!

The show is great at mimicking "real" Reality Shows. Kevin is the perfect antagonist that these shows feature: the drama "King"... the Troublemaker... or to use the show's terminology: the "Mitch"!

My favorite things:

"Taco Tuesday"

"Don't ask me. I was born rich!"

"Don't forget Martin"

"At least I had my own show"

"Models are over"

"You're always the unintimidatng black man"

"Tyra Banks haaates you"

"As soon as Dave Chappelle comes back from Africa, back to ComicView for you."

"He broke a bottle. This white boy is gone crazy."

All of Kevin's mis-pronunciations of "Frivilous". Sooo funny!

So much to love ---wondering if Kevin is going to end up on the ground in every episode.

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 8:23 PM

This was the best episode so far. I nearly fell out laughing during Taco Tuesday with the Kevin/Robin fight, the Nelly video and when Robin finally got to clock Kevin.

I hope people are watching because it truly is ridiculously funny. The lack of posts worry me.

My only problem is that I either end up missing the very beginning, or the very end. Get your times straight BET.

Rina99

Rina99

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 9:11 PM

One moment from this week's episode that really cracked me up was a shot of Robin smirking and smoking a cigarette while the argument at the workout video shoot was going on. He really is coming into his own.

Ratings-wise, the demo did drop sharply from the first episode to the second, but last night's demo was even with last week at a 1.2, and if it held steady at those ratings it would be enough to get it renewed.

Edited by Rina99, Jan 31, 2013 @ 9:15 PM.