AS2-12: "Finale: Go Big or Go Home" 2013.01.17

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

149 replies to this topic

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 9:02 AM

Maybe the winner of All Stars has to have a sad story? Didn't Mondo announce he was HIV positive?

Maybe Lifetime chooses based upon who'd make the best movie of the week.

Streya

Streya

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 9:23 AM

I think Mondo announced he was positive in his original season, not his All-Star season.

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 9:59 AM

Eh. Everyone's expected it for weeks, so I can't get that upset about the result.

I've been an AR apologist this season, because I've actually found many of his looks quite strong, especially against his competition. But I am so sick of "hard and soft" as an "inspiration". "Thin line" is not a concept, and it showed through in his poor-man's-Elena collection. I actually liked a few of the ideas and looks, but it was so blah and one-note.

I liked Emilio's concept, but I feel like his sketches weren't fully actualized in the finished product. The lace looked cheap, and he should have used more of the plaids and denims that he bought. I personally loved the print of his trench and would have liked him to pursue that idea a little further. Ultimately, I think he suffered the most from the time constraints.

Uli's was hands down the best collection. Hell, Uli's was the only actual collection! Contrasted with AR who sent down 7 plain dresses, Uli made shrugs, vests, jackets, pants, skirts, dresses, accessories... to me, they don't even compare. It's likely the faux fur translates worse in person, but I found the entire collection so luxe and pleasing to the eye. If it weren't for the predetermined winner on Allstars, I think Uli had this in the bag.

I watch PR because I like the format, but this season sure was a snoozer. Let's hope that doesn't carry into next season, because I suspect S10 would have been boring, too, without Elena and Dmitry.

Bebecat

Bebecat

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 11:26 AM

I really can't stand the part where mentor stands with designer during the show and utters banalities. It comes off as so phony and rehearsed, at least when Joanna does it. And as much as I like Uli and most of her ideas, I was not crazy about her choice to have the models move so slowly. It distracted me from looking at the clothes.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 12:01 PM

When Tim Gunn does it during regular PR, it seems sincere. When Joanna does it, it sound so fake and insincere. If I were one of the three finalists I would have wanted her to STFU so I could enjoy watching my runway show.

A Beaverhausen

A Beaverhausen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 12:42 PM

Maybe it's me, but I didn't like Uli's collection. It was too GoT - I expected the three eyed raven to perch on a model's shoulder. I would have been okay with either Emilio or AR winning.

bodielovesbetty

bodielovesbetty

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 12:53 PM

If I were one of the three finalists I would have wanted her to STFU so I could enjoy watching my runway show.

I wanted her to STFU so I could watch the runway shows. It was especially noticeable during Uli's show. Now I wonder if it was deliberate editing job so we wouldn't a good look at her collection.

Aroura

Aroura

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 1:25 PM

Long time lurker here, first time posting. I basically created an account just so I could post about this episode.

Only one other TV finale I have ever watched has made me so angry. I mean, yes, I sort of expected it, but when I saw how absolutely boring and repetitive AR's collection was, I thought maybe...MAYBE they were going to give us a twist and actually give it to the deserving winner. But no, how na´ve of me. (Note, if AR had made something worthwhile, I would have been fine with his win, but he made the same dress 7 times for a "collection" that he's already made 10 times this season!!!)

Look, 9 pages of discussion, and I've read it all, and I saw all of 3 people who agreed with the AR win, in 9 pages! Same on other sites. The judges are just....wrong.

I would also like to echo the people here who think that 4 days to create a "collection" is stupid. It doesn't matter if they had it all predesigned in their head, it takes time to actually cut and sew the stuff together! I know. I am no designer, but I am a home sewist, and even with help and existing fitted patterns, putting 6 looks together in 4 days without something looking sloppy is impossible! Stupid idea.

AR's collection really did look like a collection of 60's B sci-fi movie hostesses. I love original Star Trek, but the first season (especially the first 10 or 15 episodes), the costuming was just horrible, seams puckered, badly sewn, badly fitted. AR's reminded me of THAT. Now, he's shown flashes of brilliance during the show. I've liked some of what he created. But he didn't deserve to win based on this "collection", and he really should have been out on his ear after the Servicewoman challenge. Isaac's temper tantrum: "I will NOT hear this about Anthony Ryan!" a few episodes back tells me exactly why this boring, poorly made, completely un-innovative "collection" was allowed to win.

Emilio's collection was kind of 80's, and I think the looks would have done better with each girl having a different hair tie. That being said, he did have a good concept, and it came across in more than 1/2 of his pieces. There were only 2 I thought were not good at all. I normally hate jumpers, but his red jumper was just great! Yes, his pieces were more RTW than "runway", but at least it was a collection. I would not have been unhappy if he had won. He grew a lot as a designer this season, and really showed how versatile he can be.

Uli had the strongest collection by far. I was actually impressed with the variety she pulled off in such a short time, with such a limited pallet. I wasn't fond of her styling, but it fit her collection and theme. Very androgynous Snow Queen. It worked for a runway show. And I think the first dress was amazing! I am not a fan of sheaths, but the neckline was just perfect and made it stand out. It is one of the few sheath dresses I've seen that I would want to own. Like, a LWD instead of a LBD. That would be my Holliday party dress until I croaked of old age! lol
The last dress was also very red carpet, very gorgeous. The rear jewel was lovely. Butt bling is really a big current fashion thing (on dresses and pants), so I'm not sure why they were complaining about it? And then saying how fashion forward AR's was, when color blocking and cutouts have been in style for at least 15 and more like 20 years? (And his last dress was BAD BAD BAD!)
So yes, ULI was robbed. Again.

Oh, and that horrible black and blue thing was the best dress Isaac had ever seen on a runway? Seriously? The model had pointy boobs, and looked slouched over. The high waist made her look really oddly proportioned. It was NOT a fabulous dress, it was a barely passable dress. The open back was ugly and blocky, not sexy. But it had THIGH POCKETS! OMG!!! :/

I've been a fan of this show since season 3. I went back and watched seasons 1 and 2 right away, of course, but I've seen it go downhill a LOT since Lifetime took it on. And you know what? I'm done. I'm totally over this show. It truly has jumped the shark. Next season they will be forced into pairs? How will that inspire creativity? They are just doing it for the "drama" part of reality TV, which I have to emphasize is NOT why I watch PR. I watch it to be inspired by interesting design and beautiful clothing, not to watch people catfight. So Lifetime, kiss another loyal watcher goodbye.

/end rant

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 1:32 PM

The high waist made her look really oddly proportioned. It was NOT a fabulous dress, it was a barely passable dress. The open back was ugly and blocky, not sexy. But it had THIGH POCKETS! OMG!!! :/

Well, it's innovative. Anthony Ryan, the man who invented cargo eveningwear.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 2:25 PM

The judges probably didn't care for Emilio's keepin' it real with his "Aunt Jemima" reference!

Uli's collection was ethereal. Loved it.

But Anthony Ryan was Teacher's Pet, so whataya gonna do?

Edited by LennieB, Jan 19, 2013 @ 5:40 PM.

Yorkville

Yorkville

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 2:47 PM

I predicted the outcome although, like many other posters, don't agree with it. I deleted the episode as soon as AR was announced as the winner and removed the program from my DVR.

azzurro

azzurro

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 3:11 PM

I wanted her to STFU so I could watch the runway shows. It was especially noticeable during Uli's show. Now I wonder if it was deliberate editing job so we wouldn't a good look at her collection.

In general I thought the editing was very bad during the runway show - too many low-angle camera shots (WTF is the point of that in a fashion show?) and way too many cutaway shots to audience members. I find those especially annoying because you don't even know if the person is really reacting to what's currently on the runway, or if it's a spliced-in shot - and anyway, who cares what the audience looks like during the runway show? I certainly don't give a rat's ass. We're going to find out what the judges think afterward anyway, and get a few comments from audience members as well, so again, what's the point? The cameras should be on the models the whole time, so we can get a really good look at the collections - that's supposed to be the point.

Edited by azzurro, Jan 19, 2013 @ 3:18 PM.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 4:00 PM

While there are definitely pieces from Anthony Ryan's collection that I would wear and really liked, it was so one note! I don't mind color blocking and graphic shapes, but there were three dress in a row that were pretty much the same, just different colors. *yawn*

I liked Emilio's final collection so much more this time than his first time on the show. He had a really strong idea and I loved the bold colors. I normally hate jumpsuits, but I love his red jumpsuit.

Uli was ROBBED!! Of all the designers in the finale, I feel like she was the one who had grown the most between her original season and this one. And collection was beautiful, whimsical, and gorgeous. I don't think any of her fabrics looked cheap-- shut up Georgina! I could definitely see celebrities like Tilda Swinton, Cate Blanchett or even Liv Tyler wearing her clothes.

Ugh, I'm so over All Stars and not all that sold on the upcoming Teams season. Hmmph.

kelslamu

kelslamu

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 5:40 PM

The more I think about these runway shows now the more I think PR should be ashamed to host them in front of all these so called fashion bigwigs. As another poster said, Anthony's construction wasn't even done well. Uli's, while not everyone loved it, at least looked like most of the runway shows I've seen from other designers. I don't think Emilio's was different enough. I know I wouldn't buy anything AR designs. I may actually want something that Uli or Emilio designed however. I wonder if any of these fashion people, besides whomever the show is showcasing, actually think these designs are done well.

Jc2020

Jc2020

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 6:09 PM

This reminds me of when they didn't kick Anya off for that horrible dress she did and she went on to win it all. I was thinking, it must be rigged and they don't want to kick her off because they are planning on her winning it all.

But at least her final collection was at least passable as a winning collection. Some of AR's dresses looked especially "puckery" around the cut outs and like many have said, they were all the same dress. That collection was not a "winning" collection. He may be a winning designer overall throughout the season, but they are suppose to judge on that final collection, not the entire season, AFAIK.

carrier76

carrier76

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 12:30 PM

The dress that Carolyn Murphy wore for the runway was so bad. The judges have bitched at the designers for using illusion and nude fabric and she showed up at the runway and judging in what looks like an long-skirted ice-skating costume with illusion.

I saw on Twitter that that dress was Marchesa.

dialyn

dialyn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 1:31 PM

Now that I've seen the entire episode instead of the parts I saw before, I can't say that I can pull up enough emotion to be angry about the results. I was pretty sure who would win (and he did). I am not a fashion person so it is meaningless to say that I liked Emilio's collection the best--to me (as someone who doesn't follow fashion) I tend to judge whether or not I like something on how the person wearing the fashion looks. Emilio's models looked amazing and they walked the runway as if they knew they looked amazing. Could I wear any of those dresses? Of course not, but that's true of the other two collections as well. Uli's collection was just too cold for me...in the styling, in the clothes...and didn't reflect at all her own warm personality. True she may be faking how nice she seems on screen, and maybe the clothes are reflect her truer nature, but, somehow, I don't believe it. I would have liked her to introduce another color or two to introduce some life into the ghostlike palette. Hers looked the best made to me, but that doesn't seem to be a criteria for the judges.

As for Anthony Ryan, well, he won and nothing I say will change that. Like Anya, he basically ran the same dress down the runway in different versions....apparently the judges like that. The real difference, to me, is that I think Anthony Ryan could have done more but perhaps he didn't know he had a lock on the outcome so he decided not to take a risk (on the other hand, it seemed lazy designing to me but I doubt I could have created much more in four days). Maybe Anthony Ryan will have more a career than Anya seems to have; or maybe he could create a company with Joshua and they could challenge each other to come up with outrageous designs to sell to people who have money.

I don't know why people are angry at Joshua saying "no" to Anthony Ryan. In the interviews with both, they seemed gracious and friendly toward each other. I take Joshua at his word that he was tired. I take Anthony Ryan at his word that he understood. Anthony Ryan has said in subsequent interviews reaffirmed he understood why Joshua said "no." I am surprised Uli was so laid back about how useless Casonova seemed to be....maybe he perked up in parts we didn't see but I am trying to imagine how in the world he can work for Ivy given his lack of work ethic. Maybe he just gets paid for propping up her ego.

Overall I am not angry nor will I stop watching what has turned into a train wreck. Nothing that happens on Project Runway has anything to do with the real world, and certainly has nothing to do with me, so it is easy for me to be amused rather than emotional about the results.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 2:40 PM

I saw on Twitter that that dress was Marchesa.

I question Marchesa's taste level.

nicenessness

nicenessness

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 3:18 PM

The Marchesa dress looked pretty gorgeous on the runway. Then again, that entire collection was an Alexander McQueen ripoff. Like, they didn't even PRETEND.

scruffy73

scruffy73

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 4:04 PM

I saw a dress that looked just like Anthony Ryan's "innovative" collection on overstock.com. Yeah, innovative.

JDavitt

JDavitt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 6:53 PM

Would it kill them to give the finalists some time to design and make their collections? I get that part of the appeal of the show to a viewer is the create in stressful circumstances against the clock thing -- but not when it's walking down an actual runway, for the love of Dior.

I want to be blown away by those final three collections and giving them four or five days including planning music, styling and, though we didn't see it, choosing models, makes it close to impossible to produce quality collections.

They've earned the right to a calm space in which to make something good that reflects them properly. This ridiculous rush cheapens the show and ruins the finale for me.

diya

diya

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 1:37 PM

Would it kill them to give the finalists some time to design and make their collections? I get that part of the appeal of the show to a viewer is the create in stressful circumstances against the clock thing -- but not when it's walking down an actual runway, for the love of Dior.

JDavitt: You nailed it! I was really impressed with the designers for literally pulling the runway looks out of their hat. Give them a reasonable amount of time, and these designers can actually display their mettle in presenting final collections that are impressive in design, quality and workmanship.

Throughout the season (and for several seasons now), viewers are shown that PR designers are able to work within insane deadlines. We get it! I wish PR would at least give the designers partaking in the final runway show ample time; thus allowing viewers to see the designers work within their element, glimpse at their design process and the culmination into the final runway show.

Edited by diya, Jan 21, 2013 @ 1:57 PM.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 3:29 PM

Would it kill them to give the finalists some time to design and make their collections?

What I don't understand is that this is exactly what they do for the regular season of PR, the contestants go home & design their collections. Why didn't they do the same thing for All Stars?

SoManyWays

SoManyWays

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 5:59 PM

Those six weeks that the regular contestants are home making their collections? Is when they're filming All Stars.

Okay, I haven't actually checked the production schedules. But I'm pretty sure.

hatchetgirl

hatchetgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 6:12 PM

PR All Stars judging is so bollocky! I'm sorry, but I can't agree with anything they do and/or say! I said to my hubby "I'm cool with any of them winning." Before they did their designs. My goodness AR was awful. He basically sent a shift dress down the runway with color blocking! Awful. I loved Emilio's but his print was questionable (to me - it was very 80's). Uli's work was beautiful! I definitely moaned when she said she was going to do white, but she pulled it off! It was so lovely and her styling was perfect!

Cecilia08

Cecilia08

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 12:09 AM

What? WTF? Anthony Ryan wins for a bunch of repetitive dresses?! I'm disgusted.

Can he even make a pant?! Jacket? Anything except a dress?

This!! In every other runway final, the judges have put weight on whether the designer is versatile and ESPECIALLY whether the designer can make a good pair of pants, which apparently is hard to do. But AR shows no versatility whatsoever and he's the winner?! I'm not just disgusted, I'm in shock.

Meanwhile, Uli shows a collection that's beautiful, dreamy, creative and cohesive, and features dresses, jackets and pants, and she's the freaking second runner up??????

Emilio's collection was not as strong as I had hoped -- I think the artificial time constraint took its toll on him -- but it was a hell of a lot more interesting and versatile than AR's.

This show's judging is so freaking bogus. Something is rotten. I've read the posts saying that the sponsor doesn't have a say in which designer wins, but if not then what could be the explanation for this travesty???

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 11:49 AM

I originally thought AR had sent out seven dresses, but I think the first one was actually a jumper. Not that that changes my opinion of his collection. I still think it was third, at best.

Bikelady

Bikelady

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 5:14 PM

Long time lurker here and always enjoy reading the opinions and remarks regarding this show. I've watched Project Runway since Season 1 and have several of the seasons on DVD. This show has really gone downhill and this Project Runway All Stars was by far the worst I've seen. The judging was a total joke. It was more than obvious that AR was going to win. Poor Uli was robbed again. Isaac Mizrahi was more of a joke on here than he is on QVC and that is hardly watchable! Pockets! How did you EVER think of putting pockets there! Please!! I'm done with these reality shows. They get worse every season. Certainly won't have to purchase these shows on DVD!

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

• Interests:TV: Breaking Bad ...

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 12:53 PM

Uli always is screwed over by fashion elite that are probably threatened by her. If she was established there would be few else the majority of women would want to buy from and wear.

neplusultra

neplusultra

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2013 @ 6:14 PM

I would rank the three finalists, as people, in the opposite order I'd rank their collections. Emilio is great and I love the politics behind his collection but the print was fugly and the Whitney Houston hair bow was distracting. AR's was not the greatest thing ever but it was slightly better than Uli's IMO. The most unfair aspect of the finale was giving Uli third instead of second place as Emilio's was clearly way behind the other two.