Gypsy Sisters

• Please log in to reply

286 replies to this topic

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 3:58 AM

On the one of the gypsy wedding series (can't remember if it was UK or US), they had some crackpot thing they said they did to stay skinny. I remember they talked about it at some restaurant and then pulled out a bottle of some homemade concoction. Does anyone else remember this and what was in the bottle?

I think it was vinegar with salt in it. I think I remember them dipping cucumber slices in it.

Nettie (gah, these names!) has got legit, straight from the asylum, crazy eyes. It scares me.

I think Nettie might be the craziest of them all, she goes off at the drop of a hat, she's a lot like Mellie without the addiction issues.

KittyMarthaPoo

KittyMarthaPoo

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 1:34 PM

And, yes, I'm totally jealous of their bodies. Especially Kayla. I can't imagine having a ton of kids like that and looking good.

Yeah, that's the thing. That stomach was perfection. Kayla to me is almost too thin, but I'm ashamed to say that I think her body is fantastic. I could never dream of being that thin.

I just smell something funny [about how they ALL are so stick-thin]. Not sure if I'm bying this vinegar drink or whatever it is. It's just GOTTA be some sort of drugs.

How old are all of them again? I only just started watching.

Becka

Becka

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 11:43 PM

Nettle is 38, Mellie is 23 and Kayla must be around 30 based in her being 15 when she got married and the fact they just celebrated 15 years together. I'm not sure about Laura. They're not aging well, in my opinion, although they do have great figures for the most part.

KittyMarthaPoo

KittyMarthaPoo

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 7:38 AM

They're not aging well, in my opinion, although they do have great figures for the most part.

Oh, you're exactly right. Their faces look aged.

I'm surprised Nettie is 38. Thought she was older from her face.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 3:50 PM

I'm surprised Nettie is 38. Thought she was older from her face.

She's had nine kids, no way that doesn't show on your face.

pele2102

pele2102

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 24, 2013 @ 2:22 AM

You know what? I think Nettie deserves a little credit or thanks were Mellie is concerned she did take her in and try to raise her "right" Mellie's a crazy person that happens to be an addict hell Nettie's crazy as hell too but she's the only sibling out of 11 that we see trying to wrangle Mellie. I mean your mom going to prison for a decade is hard on an adult too and Nettie acted like a semi adult and left the room. I don't know I feel like Mellie would've burned out sooner without Nettie around.

Although it pains me to agree with it was fucked up that Robbie didn't come see Lottie Mae.

That bachelorette party reminded me to thank my feminist foremothers. They literally have to call home to be allowed to dance. Which makes me think they're very motivated to stay hot for their husbands ie its status look at my hot wife you can't have her. Plus don't they do sweetheart cons? Could be wrong.

pigpen

pigpen

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 24, 2013 @ 11:47 PM

Funny, for a mother who disapproves of her daughter's stripping, Lottie has no problems begging for money from Mellie. I guess she can justify it when she needs to. Mommie Dearest ain't got nothing on Lottie Mae Stanley!

KittyMarthaPoo

KittyMarthaPoo

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2013 @ 8:17 AM

Funny, for a mother who disapproves of her daughter's stripping, Lottie has no problems begging for money from Mellie. I guess she can justify it when she needs to

Exactly. And I think the saddest thing was Mellie saying she doesn't really have enough money of her own but gives it to her anyways. Like trying to buy her mother's love. Another sad thing was when she was laying on the bed wanting to be like a baby & have them stroke her hair - she no doubt didn't get any nuturing at all when she was younger.

It's clear that she doesn't want to get married. Then why is she?

I wonder what's going to happen to her baby. Will the cycle repeat itself or will this be a wake up call for her?

pigpen

pigpen

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 25, 2013 @ 10:09 AM

It's clear that she doesn't want to get married. Then why is she?

I think she does want to get married, but I do think that she is afraid of being abused again, gypsy men don't have the best track record. And "ahem" there is that rather suspicious amount of morning sickness to consider

Personally, the thought of having Nettie for a mother figure scares me as much as Lottie does. She goes off into a cursing, yelling tangent the second she finds out Kayla was asked/volunteered (depending on who you're talking to) to help plan Mellie's wedding. Geez!

No, they don't age well in the face. The mothers on the British show didn't either (Josie's mom, for example). They don't seem to take the best care of themselves.

MiniMama

MiniMama

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 27, 2013 @ 5:49 PM

Anyone know why their houses look so bare? There doesn't seem to be much in the way of personal/sentimental items or decor. Easier to bleach an empty house or easier to run from the "muskers" when you have less crap to pack?

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2013 @ 9:27 PM

Anyone know why their houses look so bare? There doesn't seem to be much in the way of personal/sentimental items or decor. Easier to bleach an empty house or easier to run from the "muskers" when you have less crap to pack?

Well, most of them can't read much because they left school early, so you won't see a lot of books lying around. They're also fanatical about cleaning, & if I had to bleach my entire house every day, I wouldn't want a lot of doodads lying around either. I remember Nettie from the Gypsy wedding show being proud of the fact that she spent a ton of money on central vacuuming.

Constant

Constant

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 6:04 PM

Just watch them try to pass off Mellie’s pink, leopard-print, sparkly thing as a “traditional Gypsy wedding gown.”

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 6:49 PM

I don't have a ton of knowledge about gypsies but that seems pretty traditional. Maybe not the hot pink and leopard, but the big old entire gaudy thing is.

And I'm surprised their houses are so bare. With as much gems and glitz they're packin and stackin on their bodies and clothes, nails, purses and all other accessories you'd think they'd wanna have their furnishings sparkle too.

I still can't subscribe to their school of thinking. It's bad to strip, but it's perfectly normal to say to your mom as she's stroking your hair, "My hair is matted because I was in a fight this morning"? You must keep a clean house and look good for your husband, but it's perfectly normal to call a female family member and throw the biggest tizzy over a trivial part of some past conversation?

I didn't catch it, but is Robbie part of some gypsy group (religion? nationality? ethniticity? tribe? What the hell is it?

Has anyone seen the commercial like 740 times like me? There's this very brief clip (like 3 seconds) of her that gets me every time. She's like running down a sidewalk with her dress almost flying up and over her head and her arms up and waving in the air like an orengetang and maybe Nettie running behind her chasing her. It cracks my shit up every time, it's likre a zoo escapee and it's trainer trying to catch it.

Edited by ShaNaeNae, Mar 1, 2013 @ 6:58 PM.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 7:04 PM

I still can't subscribe to their school of thinking.

What really confused me was when Nettie & Mellie were getting their nails done in the first episode & Nettie was on Mellie's case about stripping, she said something about a wet tee shirt contest being OK & that she would do it because she had fake boobs (I obviously don't remember the exact talk). So apparently it's OK to show your boobs in a wet tee shirt, but not OK to take the tee shirt off. Huh?

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 8:59 PM

I wasn't paying attention to the conversation either but you mean she was saying it was also ok to do it if you have fake boobs? Like their not your real ones if you get implants? Huh?

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 9:53 PM

She mentioned that she (Nettie) had fake boobs & said something about how she would do a wet tee shirt contest, I'm assuming she meant if she was Mellie. I don't know if she meant it was OK because the boobs were fake, or if it was OK because it wasn't the same as stripping.

queenofsnark

queenofsnark

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 10:06 PM

[qoute] Seeing as they drink a lot & eat a lot of fast food (that family dinner which was from KFC), how do these women stay so skinny? Crack? Meth? [/guote]

That would be my guess! When I first saw them, I thought it was another "Intervention" type show since they all looked skinny, skanky and dried up....lol

SleepyJean

SleepyJean

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 11:01 AM

Funny, for a mother who disapproves of her daughter's stripping, Lottie has no problems begging for money from Mellie.

I just can't wrap my mind around a "culture" that finds stripping disgraceful, but not hard time in prison.

Constant

Constant

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2013 @ 3:07 AM

Why is Laura even on this show? She’s like the Tenten of this show. Annie’s been more interesting, let her replace Laura. Hell, Dallas is more interesting.

Anyone else think it’s weird they keep fighting and swearing in front of the kids?

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2013 @ 3:27 AM

OMG. What a nightmare that wedding was. From that dress to Mellie's eye makeup, that was a whole lot of ugly. I don't understand why Mellie dyes her hair that nasty black color & does whatever she does to her eyebrows. It's just wrong. I don't know why she's throwing up so much, is that normal for pregnant women? Her poor kid is doomed with her as a mother.

Her mother is a piece of work too, I think she's really pissed at Nettie because she won't give her money & she wants to have control of Mellie because Robbie does give her money, but what about Lottie's husband? Why doesn't he support his wife?

Kayla's sister looks just like her, I wonder how many siblings she has.

KittyMarthaPoo

KittyMarthaPoo

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2013 @ 2:49 PM

I think Nettie had every right to be upset at her mother for not even thanking her once for raising her sisters while the mother was in jail all those years. That mother (I forget her name, is it Lottie?) is beastly, yet poor Mellie clearly desperately wants her love (how she would not walk down the aisle until her mother was there). Mellie seems so very broken & damaged. I wish so bad she would get intensive therapy.

LMAO about Nettie saying, "I give this marriage 3 weeks". But sad too.

Mellie's eye make up when she was actually on the altar (or wheve ever it was) looked too harsh.

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2013 @ 3:55 PM

Nettie didn't raise Mellie. Mellie was in a few foster families after the mother was arrested and then was married when she was quite young. She has been married twice before this marriage which is her third.

At the time the mother was arrested, Mellie was traveling with the mother.

I don't know whether Nettie did some mothering when the mother was no in jail but traveling across the country scamming and gambling. There are other spawn of this women who are never mentioned on the show.

pigpen

pigpen

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 4, 2013 @ 10:06 PM

I love how Nettie goes on and on about how SHE raised Mellie from the age of 13 on... when in fact, she WAS in Foster Care for two years (give or take) before a brother named William took her in. Let me know if the link below doesn't work:

http://starcasm.net/archives/202842

I feel a little bit sorry for Mellie. She was treated terribly, knows it, and has no idea how to go about getting the help she needs to get past the abuse. And she has zero role models.

And I can help it, but why would anyone be so insistent on taking credit for raising Mellie?

KittyMarthaPoo

KittyMarthaPoo

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2013 @ 8:04 AM

I love how Nettie goes on and on about how SHE raised Mellie from the age of 13 on... when in fact, she WAS in Foster Care for two years (give or take)

Oops! Sorry, I wasn't aware of this.

I feel a little bit sorry for Mellie. She was treated terribly, knows it, and has no idea how to go about getting the help she needs to get past the abuse. And she has zero role models.

I feel VERY sorry for her. I wonder if she will crash & burn her whole life or somehow, somewhere, get some sort of help.

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2013 @ 2:01 PM

I swear in the link above, she looks different in every single picture.

"And I figure I was old enough to lay down and spread my legs, so I’m old enough to spread them and have a kid,” she told Radar Online last week.

So white trash, yet so correct.

For a show I said I will never watch, it's growing on me and for some reason I'm really diggin' Kayla.

Sleepyhead Case

Sleepyhead Case

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2013 @ 5:13 PM

You're totally right about how Mellie looks different in every picture, ShaNaeNae. It's like there are different girls.

Aside from the horrendous wedding gown, I, too, don't know what she does with her eyebrows. They looked awful. When she was clearly uncomfortable getting into the limo in the wedding gown, it seems like the best thing to do would be to not wear the petticoat and put it on later. Unless it was attached or something. Hell, maybe all Gypsy brides with ostentatious gowns should get dressed at the church/venue.

Mellie has given me some comic relief - I laughed out loud when she put the lacquered candy used for bedazzling a stripper bra in her mouth and then asked, "What's lacquered?" Seeing how her mother is a con artist, how she was abused by her ex-husbands, and reading that she was in foster care, really makes me sad for her. I hope she gets some help for her issues.

I'm totally addicted to this show - just like the previous Gypsy shows. It's like I'm fascinated and horrified at the same time.

pigpen

pigpen

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 5, 2013 @ 9:34 PM

Oops! Sorry, I wasn't aware of this.

No need for YOU to apologize, you aren't the one with all the b.s. coming out of your mouth! :-)

Artichoke hearts are from animals... just about fell off my couch laughing!

I think Lottie had 12 kids altogether. There are supposed to be two sons by her husband Aaron, they were around 5 and 8 at the time of her arrest.. so they are probably still in the system. There were four kids in Lottie's care when she was arrested, Mellie, the two boys and another child, unnamed.

I think Mellie does look a little different in those pics.. possibly due to weight loss, bad make up, Morticia dye job and camera angle. I remember some of the British girls doing the same thing.. dying brown hair black.

Fairyinterested

Fairyinterested

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 10, 2013 @ 10:12 PM

I watch Reality TV like it's my job but to the Poster who referenced being horrified and fascinated at the same time hit it! This hands down the wildest shit I have ever seen. How to you afford to give married on a moments notice? I mean all the gawdly material and hardware for the wedding gown have to be astronomical!

First of all we have Mama Stanley coming out of a southern Ohio Prison for all kinds of shit but you can't strip? I could hang in if they actually followed through on what they said they believed. Be SAHM and clean your home if you choose to. How do you use so much bleach and spend so much on nails if thats your daily grind? I ask this because I've been a housewife my whole life and my nails didn't comply!

What are Laura and Nettie fighting about ? I've watched the episode a few times and can't make it out.

I can understand why the Stanley Sister's are fucked up. I'd be running from Big Mama. Not Tooooo Her!

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2013 @ 2:53 AM

So Mellie had the same "pregnancy sickness" as Kate Middleton? Thanks to this show, I now know there is a sonogram app you can load on your phone to listen to your fetus LOL Mellie's roots were really showing, she should let her hair grow out to it's natural color, & stop doing whatever she does to her eyebrows.

OMG, I can imagine what the kids clothing line is going to look like, super tight really short skirts, belly shirts, & high heels, all covered in rhinestones, why does Nettie think they have to include her? She’s absolutely insane.

Constant

Constant

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2013 @ 3:16 AM

“It’s George.”
“Your cousin George!?”
LOL

If I have a daughter in the future and her date comes to the door with his shirt only buttoned a third of the way up, I’m shutting the door in his face. I’m saving her from her bad choices.

This Mellie’s father/Mellie+Robbie thing is fucked up. My father was a douche but my mom never told me he died in a plane crash.