Gypsy Sisters

• Please log in to reply

286 replies to this topic

MrsSea

MrsSea

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 9:21 AM

TLC just keeps it coming with the Stanley Sisters! That 1 hour special was basically a pre cursor for their spin off!

http://radaronline.c...nking-fighting/

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 11:18 PM

Nooooooooooo! I wish I could verbalized my feelings better but all I can think is whyyyyyyyy? Then I realized that TLC loves them for all the reasons I hate them: they're loud trashy trainwrecks.

jlyons5

jlyons5

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 11:29 AM

I'll watch but it's all over Facebook that mellie is pregnant and engaged. It's telling that the article makes no mention of her honest life.

And saying Laura said she lives to shop and tab? Thought she was a devoted wife and mother?

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 11:03 PM

So much for how pure and moral those girls are supposed to be. I'd bet that Mellie is only engaged because she's pregnant. I'm sure their excuse is that she was already married before and therefore sullied by the dirtiness of sex so it's kind of okay that she's knocked up and unmarried. Considering how quickly they throw together weddings, I wonder why she's only engaged and not married.

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Jan 13, 2013 @ 11:23 PM.

The Solution

The Solution

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 4:53 PM

Gypsy Sisters - in case BUCKWILD is too elegant for you.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 2:04 AM

I was wondering where all the crazy Gypsies were on TLC, so glad that some are back, I need my fix. Did anyone ever hear why they only showed 2 episodes of the spinoff with Thelma teaching the Gypsy girls to make gowns? They just stopped showing it & that was it.

yian

yian

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 3:47 AM

Is the title of this show Gypsy Sisters? When does it air?

starfires

starfires

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 6:21 AM

February 10th

Indy1

Indy1

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 9:42 AM

I was wondering where all the crazy Gypsies were on TLC, so glad that some are back, I need my fix. Did anyone ever hear why they only showed 2 episodes of the spinoff with Thelma teaching the Gypsy girls to make gowns? They just stopped showing it & that was it.

I like the UK crazy Gypsies much better than the US ones. Not sure if it's the accents or what, but their brand of crazy is more entertaining to me. I was bummed when they stopped showing Thelma's spin-off but I was able to watch the rest of the episodes on YouTube, so at least I got my fix that way.

iluvobx

iluvobx

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 10:55 AM

I preferred the UK ones also. To me, the Stanley sisters are just trashy. There doesn't seem to be a redeeming factor in any of them at this time. They will never change people's opinion of "Gypsies"-they are just reinforcing the view. I had hoped that TLC decided to pull the plug on this bunch.

Edited by iluvobx, Jan 16, 2013 @ 10:56 AM.

clj2

clj2

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 3:10 PM

TLC just has no standards ...

jlyons5

jlyons5

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 9:19 PM

My husband just saw a commercial. The girls were tanning with motor oil. He's officially intrigued enough to watch at least the first episode.

ReaderGirl

ReaderGirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 10:16 PM

Tanning with motor oil? Egads!

MrsSea

MrsSea

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 10:49 AM

Ok, I sort of looked past Laura whitening her teeth with Clorox, but tanning with motor oil?? Goodnight nurse!

suzeecat

suzeecat

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 12:56 PM

Tanning with motor oil? Egads!

Is it used motor oil, or do they open a fresh can? Heh. Ewwww . . . .

FinePoint

FinePoint

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 26, 2013 @ 5:02 PM

MOTOR OIL? Is THAT the oil the one is crowing about on the promo?

Surely, of all shows on tv, this one of all shows just HAS to be the precursor to the coming apocalypse.

I truly hate these Stanley sisters/cousins/whatever they are. Just absolute trash. Thanks, TLC, for giving these awful people money and fame. Just thanks.

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 10:26 AM

I keep seeing this commercial and I completely can't wait for this to start.

I'm going to just admit it. I'm not real familiar with gypsies. I saw a 20/20-Dateline type deal years ago about the hidden world of child brides and all that. And of course as a kid, you just picture gypsies like they are in shows...long skirt boho looking women with tons of jewelry on.

I've never watched any of these gypsy shows they have. Actually, I saw one about a week after Christmas one morning on TLC. I think it was the Irish gypsies. And I saw that they marry young, a woman has her place. I read the TLC promo about these 4 broads. I'm just still not getting it.

I've tried You Tube and Wikipedia, saw nothing informative. Is it cultural? Religious? Where does the traveling come into it?

And since TLC airs their commercials 8 times in one hour, I've seen the one girl claim motor oil gives you "one hell of a tan" and yes, for whoever asked, it is straight from the bottle. Nasty.

ILoveBadTV

ILoveBadTV

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 11:18 AM

I like the UK crazy Gypsies much better than the US ones. Not sure if it's the accents or what, but their brand of crazy is more entertaining to me. I was bummed when they stopped showing Thelma's spin-off but I was able to watch the rest of the episodes on YouTube, so at least I got my fix that way.

The UK Gypsies are more entertaining then the US ones. Gypsies Sisters may have potential. I am interested iin sub-cultures especially religious isolated ones, so I am going to give the show a a shot. I hope TLC doesn't heavily script and edited the show.

What was the name of Themlas spin off? BBC filmed a documentary featuring Patty from the UK version. The movie is titled, Knuckle: bare Fist Fighting.( I wonder if TLC will try to produce something similar.)

In my opinion, Gypsie Sisters is TLC response to Buckwild. They would not want to miss jumping on the West Virginia bandwagon.

I think TLC would have a great show if they produced one about a unique West Virginia sub-culture, like the Melungeons.

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 11:31 AM

Are these women even Gypsies? As I recall, when the first series aired, there was some discussion that they weren't really part of the Gypsy culture but had been located and have some kind of gypsy blood.

The whole series was ridiculous because none of them did anything that conformed to Gypsy specific traditions and certainly not the American Traveler model. They were just ordinary trashy criminal loser types although they might technically have some type of Gypsy genetic DNA.

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 12:23 PM

I was bummed when they stopped showing Thelma's spin-off but I was able to watch the rest of the episodes on YouTube, so at least I got my fix that way.

Me, too! LOVED that show -- thank god for YouTube. As a bonus, it really exposed Thelma for the exploitive piece of shit I had come to believe she was.

I also agree the UK gypsies were way more interesting than the ones in the US version. Yeah, I'll watch the Stanleys particular brand of stench on TV again only because I've seen the Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia at least five times already and there's nothing new to mine there.

Indy1

Indy1

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 6:09 PM

What was the name of Themlas spin off? BBC filmed a documentary featuring Patty from the UK version. The movie is titled, Knuckle: bare Fist Fighting.( I wonder if TLC will try to produce something similar.)

I believe it was "Thelma's Gypsy Girls"

Oooh, I'm going to have to find the Paddy docu somewhere. I bet that's ridiculous and wonderful.

xls

xls

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 9:57 PM

MOTOR OIL? Is THAT the oil the one is crowing about on the promo?

That has to burn, isen't there all kinds of chemicals in it?

Are these women even Gypsies? As I recall, when the first series aired, there was some discussion that they weren't really part of the Gypsy culture but had been located and have some kind of gypsy blood.

Does not look like a real culture to me, or very far removed from the original. Culture is food, music art, some kind of history. Bedazzling your clothes and aping Christina Aguilera dancing is not culture.

Pinklotus56

Pinklotus56

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 10, 2013 @ 11:21 PM

Okay, so I will admit that I watched My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding as a guilty pleasure. But I just watched 20 minutes of this show and had to turn it off. It all seems so incredibly contrived (even more than other "reality" shows)...and I don't find Mellie entertaining anymore.

Delirium64

Delirium64

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2013 @ 11:31 PM

I find Mellie sad. She is very self aware and understands why she does a lot of the things she does. I cannot stomach Nettie. She is a drama pushing bitch withno redeeming qualities whatsoever. I do like Kayla.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2013 @ 2:38 AM

Mellie is a train wreck. She's definitely an alcoholic, & I don't really understand why she's marrying Robbie since she doesn't seem to want to be married. There is no way this is going to end well.

chickieloveknit

chickieloveknit

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2013 @ 8:54 AM

I find Mellie sad.

Thank you, me too! To me she isn't a trainwreck-as-entertainment kind of character but a really sad, disturbed person who shouldn't be exploited for others amusement. For most of the show I had to remind myself I wasn't watching an episode of Intervention. I have to think Mellie's suffered some horrible abuse in her past to be in the place she is today.

The fact that these women seem to think they are so "classy" is hilarious to me. Their "bling" could be purchased on any sale rack at Kohl's (in fact, that may be too good for them!). They have a real holier-than-thou attitude on many levels.

Trash, plain and simple.

Edited by chickieloveknit, Feb 11, 2013 @ 8:55 AM.

jamisloan

jamisloan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 11, 2013 @ 12:49 PM

Richard, Kaylas husband, reminds me so much of Mike the situation on jersey shore.

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2013 @ 1:00 PM

I can't do it. I've never seen these people in any special before. I tried to watch last Sunday, but got bored and turned it off. This Sunday wasn't much different.

We know 99% of reality "stars" need serious intervention. This is one of the only times I watched something and thought, we shouldn't be watching this person. This person needs help. She is beyond disturbed and it's not amusing. It's sad.

I also don't feel particularly like watching chick fights either. It's disturbing.

Checking out of this show.

Morgalisa

Morgalisa

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2013 @ 2:00 PM

Does not look like a real culture to me, or very far removed from the original. Culture is food, music art, some kind of history. Bedazzling your clothes and aping Christina Aguilera dancing is not culture.

This is what bothers me. I just finished a memoir written by a Russian Gypsy girl who came to the US when she was 15 years old. Her father was full Romani and her mother was Armenian. Her mother was not considered "gadjee" but she was not Gypsy. In Russia, they were sanctioned by the government as entertainers. Traveled in troupes and performed all over Russia. She gives a good background on their origins, language (Rromanes), food, clothing, costumes for entertaining, the culture in general, e.g., matchmaking and weddings, etc. and provides pictures of her family going back to her great grandfather in early 1900.

I would love to see something like this. I would like to see their history of when and where they came from. Pictures of the past generations, and talk about when they lost their language. That would be interesting to me.

Staleepisode

Staleepisode

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2013 @ 2:23 PM

Why not motor oil? They're already slimy.