Banshee: Amish Mafia Alan Ball Style

• Please log in to reply

438 replies to this topic

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2014 @ 4:02 PM

I can't believe I didn't put up my post episode thoughts. I liked seeing the full flashbacks that lead up to Hood getting arrested and going to jail for Ana (and learning that Carrie came from Job). It did feel a little like the season finale from last year but I think by keeping it to really just Hood and Ana it made things more intimate and personal. Though I did love the rescue by Job and Fat Au. Also loved that he knew Hood from yet another life. I don't think anyone will actually know his real life or name.  He's a cipher wrapped in an enigma smothered in secret sauce.

Once both Rabbit and his uncle were killed off I wondered what excuse they would use to keep Hood in town. There's no more threat to Cana and her family. So Deva walking in and calling him dad was a great hook. Because it looked like Hood was really ready to stay in town anyway even though it made no sense. He was chilling at Sugar's, he went to Siobhan (which I loved) and he was seriously going to keep the job as sheriff. Like are you kidding me? But Deva knowing works as a good reason to stay.

Rebecca killing Alex came out of nowhere. But he was so weak and I was fine with it. I hope it means his sister comes back to town. The scenes with Rebecca and Proctor grossed me out beyond measure. I kept worrying she was going to join him in the shower.

Emmett and his wife's deaths were so senseless and heartbreaking. There was no need for that.

I'm really pumped for next season now that they aren't spending all that time worrying about Rabbit. Of course now there's another FBI agent who has Hood's picture.

The ginormous Indian dude with the amazing voice (seriously I could listen to that actor read whatever cliche boring material for hours)

I was trying to explain his voice to a friend and all I could come up with was "sex, pure sex."

Edited by TiffanyNichelle, Mar 17, 2014 @ 4:21 PM.

AWhittle

AWhittle

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 17, 2014 @ 6:07 PM

How old could NLH be?

He was referred to as a "kid" before the 15 year sentence, so if he was 20 at the time, he has to be in his mid to late 30's now. Also how much of a previous life could he have had as "soldier boy"?

I don't know, but I am down for next season as Alex's sister comes back to town and Chaytin too. With the Ukranian NYC mob storyline gone, they can concentrate more on the small town intrigue, a Proctor/Kihano war, Deva, Brock, and so on...

Shimmergloom

Shimmergloom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2014 @ 7:35 PM

Join at 18, do 2-3 years before discharging, is around 21 when he hooks up with Rabbit.  Say he's with them for 1-2 years, then does 15 years in prison, so he'd probably be 36-38 now.

If he has no identity really, then he could have even maybe joined the military at 16-17 with false records(who knows how long he's known Job).

toddthomas

toddthomas

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 10:18 AM

Or it could be "soldier" in the mafioso sense of the word, which is the lower tier made guys. Which wouldn't seem logical for him, at all, but he could have been a soldier in some other entity. (I can see, because I want more than anything to be a writer on this show, a young NLH brought along as a junior enforcer to a meet, saving the day and talking out the situation to save Fat Al, but burning a bridge with the senior who loses face because of him and ending up adrift.)

speedroc

speedroc

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 10:30 AM

From the very first episode of this series, I always thought NLH had some sort of military training/backround. Looking forward to see it explained and explored.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 1:57 PM

Hoon Lee was slumming it in last night's episode of The Blacklist. He was excellent (duh).

Edited by TheLabRat, Mar 18, 2014 @ 1:57 PM.

toddthomas

toddthomas

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 10:52 AM

Seeing HL on the Blacklist, with that show's unsavable versions of plot, direction and characterization (save Spader) really nailed how good Banshee is. Even when an episode misses, there are still lawyers of content and development. 

Hipshooter

Hipshooter

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 8:52 PM

Absolute MONSTER finale. Rabbit got his hash settled and more intriguing story lines appeared.

Deva will bring a new brand of trouble to daddy.

Canna will be going nuts trying to figure out which man she wants to be with from epi to epi.

Gordon and Brock? Who cares!

Rebecca's(hottest woman on television) journey to the dark side has been nothing if not spectacular . She killed Alex in a big and bloody way. The girl definitely has an evil bone.

What happens between her and Kai is not carved in stone yet but it seem like the die is cast. Shudder.

Sure hope Nola shows up to help Chayton create their special brand of mayhem.

NLH will surely avenge Emmett and his bride.  Bad time to be a Neo-Nazi skinhead in Banshee.

Kai will strike out at NLH. I just hope Siobhan isn't the target of his wrath but either her, Job or Sugar will most likely be the next to die. Well except for Chayton and Nola who will strike out at Kai. They probably start by killing Clay Burton. Chayton will die ugly. Rebecca may kill Nola or be killed by Nola,  No one is safe or sacred on this show.

Can't wait for next season !!!

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2014 @ 9:31 AM

Gordon and Brock? Who cares!

I do. Gordon and the kids have been, most of the time, the only reasons why Cana stayed out of trouble, which all went out the window when NLH and Papa Rabbit barged back into her life and almost got her and them killed because of it. Gordon went off the rails for a while last season, but I think that Gordon is a good, if imperfect, man who, despite his mistakes, has been and is a great husband and father. Now that Deva knows the truth about NLH, I think she'll need Gordon more than ever. As for Brock, he may be comic relief sometimes, but he's no fool.  When it comes to the Banshee Police Department, with Emmett gone, someone besides Siobahn should keep NLH on his toes.

Edited by DollEyes, Mar 21, 2014 @ 9:32 AM.

AWhittle

AWhittle

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 21, 2014 @ 8:19 PM

So what is NLH's fighting style?

I'd say a little bit of everything, MMA, some improvisation, etc... He did pick up that elbow block from the albino.

He is very unorthodox, but the scripts make him able to take on 2 guys at once, which is unlikely in real life like that elbow block...

toddthomas

toddthomas

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2014 @ 2:45 PM

I did like, in the flashback finale, that they showed him in the ring with Olek. Prior to that, we only saw him training in solitary. Fighting, even with all the suspension of disbelief I can muster, is hard work and the people that are as good as NLH need to have trained. 

Completely uninformed brainstorm speculation...but thinking these thoughts made me think "Army of One" and the sort of well-trained killing machine that the hitman recognized in NLH, and then "soldier boy" from Fat Al. Is NLH some sort of black ops agent who was working the international beat against Rabbit's forces?

(I doubt it. Just playing with puzzle pieces as Tropper intended.)

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 12:31 PM

Now that TWoP is closing who else am I going to talk about Banshee with?

blook1

blook1

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 8:00 AM

I think it's time to bring Hood out of the closet.

First, let me stress that this is absolutely not a criticism of any group, lifestyle or sexual orientation. It's merely an observation.

Despite having sex with all those women, Hood is obviously gay. There isn't a straight man on the planet who would spend that much time grooming his beard. He never shaves, and it never grows any longer. He's obviously quite obsessive about it. 

I can imagine him now, crawling back to his room after a hard day of studying bodies, killing people and getting the snot kicked out of him, but before he can go to bed, he has to work on his beard so it looks exactly the same day after day, episode after episode, and season after season. It doesn't take a profiler to tell that he's grossly overcompensating for not feeling "manly" enough.  :P

Edited by blook1, Mar 30, 2014 @ 8:51 AM.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 9:18 AM

I lolled.

giovannif7

giovannif7

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 6:34 PM

I do not agree, in any way, that NLH's problem is not feeling "manly" enough. Nor do I agree that a lack of manliness = gay.

Plus, in the past 20+ years, there have been plenty of straight men who are as obsessive (if not more so) about beard scruff, waxing and other grooming details as any gay man straight woman or anyone else. And not just in the entertainment business.

blook1

blook1

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 7:40 PM

With all due respect, giovanni, it's a lot easier to go through life if you have a sense of humor.

And, I never said there was a lack of manliness. Other people appear to see him as "manly" (although I think he looks like a homeless wino), but apparently he just doesn't see himself that way. That was the whole point of my comment.

Anyway, no point in arguing about it, right? It's just a TV show.

Edited by blook1, Mar 30, 2014 @ 7:41 PM.

giovannif7

giovannif7

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 7:51 PM

With all due respect, when something is funny, I have a fine sense of humor. And my point stands - good grooming does not indicate sexual orientation. As NLH does, spending much of your down time bedding women would be a much better indicator, IMHO.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 8:10 PM

I took it as sarcasm along the lines of the lessons I learned on tv thread over in tv potluck (stuff like car doors are bullet proof and all grocery bags have a french loaf sticking out of the top).  It's just one of those funny tv things that's not very realistic if you think about it.   If I'd thought that was serious, I'd be right there with you.

Jordan44

Jordan44

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2014 @ 9:36 PM

I just mainlined the first season in two days with the free week Cinemax was offering.

Excellent show.  Only quibble is, of course, the over the top sex scenes.  No real reason for them other than for cable to say, hey look what we can get away with it.  Just a minor quibble though.

The acting, directing, storytelling and the plot are A+.

So many good performances, it's hard to say who's doing the best. 

The show is creative, exciting, funny and sometimes a little creepy.  And just like a lot of cable shows, we see things we've never seen before.

I would put this show right up there with the Walking Dead and Orphan Black as the best shows on TV.

Can't wait to see what happens in Season 2 which I have recorded and am about to start watching.

Oh, one last thing.  I can't remember a character getting so many beatings since Ben Linus did in Lost as the Sheriff has in this show.