S26: Shamar

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

51 replies to this topic

loki567

loki567

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2013 @ 1:20 PM

I don't disagree with you. But just because I don't like him as a person means I'm gonna go back and try to diminish his service record.

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2013 @ 2:07 PM

I don't think we have to start attacking a guy's service record based on what he's doing in the game of Survivor. And that Marines against Shamar is a clearly a political group that didn't like his involvement in the Wall Street Protests.

I haven't seen anyone here try to "attack his service record." If you mean me, I was researching to try and find out what his actual job was that might shed some light on his actions. I didn't find anything about what he did overseas so I was hardly attacking it. Neither am I making excuses for him based on his service record without really knowing anything about it.

Shamar himself is the one who has brought his service record into the game of Survivor. Not everyone was in favor of going to war in the middle east and not everyone thinks volunteering to fight in those wars was a fabulous thing to do.

loki567

loki567

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2013 @ 2:44 PM

Has Shamar done this? Has he argued for benefits because he served in the military? Did he bring up his service record in his arguments with Eddie and Reynold? Has he embellished or exaggerated his time in the military? I didn't see it. All I saw was him discussing his history with his alliance-mates and friends to describe why his head really wasn't in the game. IMO, to go back and try and criticize or poke holes in his military service is not fair game.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted Mar 3, 2013 @ 3:06 PM

Since Shamar hasn't brought up his service record on the show, other than to say that he served and saw some horrible things, it's off-topic in this thread. There are plenty of things to talk about regarding Shamar's actions on the show. Thanks.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2013 @ 5:40 PM

He is certainly using his tours (at least, initially) that he was an upstanding citizen & a nice person. Unfortunately, he seems to be showing his real personality which to say the least is unflattering. I don't think anyone is attacking his millitary record as a solider but as a person who used It as his "story". Like I said, it will be interesting how much longer he can play the game & what excuses he will use in his exit interviews. I'm not even sure that the Day 1 confessional about making camp miserable for everyone will holdup. I don't think it's strategy but its just him in general.

lovemydogs

lovemydogs

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 8:52 PM

A veteran????????? are you kidding me? None of the veterans I know would behave like this. All the whining, lack of energy, motivation, or determination seems odd for someone who should be a leader or at least a role model.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:50 PM

Thank god the Fans came to their senses. Shamar was an embarrassment. I hope he went straight to the hospital and didn't go to loser lodge. The others girls & Fran must have wanted to kill themselves if he was there with them.

jersey guy 87

jersey guy 87

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2013 @ 8:27 AM

Thank god the Fans came to their senses. Shamar was an embarrassment. I hope he went straight to the hospital and didn't go to loser lodge. The others girls & Fran must have wanted to kill themselves if he was there with them.

Shamar was lifted for a medical emergency. While the editing suggested that he was going to be voted out there's no reason to believe that was the case. They were saved having to make a decision on him because of his injury.

easjer

easjer

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2013 @ 10:34 AM

A veteran????????? are you kidding me? None of the veterans I know would behave like this. All the whining, lack of energy, motivation, or determination seems odd for someone who should be a leader or at least a role model.

Please. I know plenty of vets who would act that way if they were miserable and starving. It's a game show he was apparently not mentally ready to play. Iraq/Afghanistan are no picnics (my brother served two tours, my brother-in-law did three, so I'm not being dimissive of the hardships), but it's also not primitive conditions, lack of food, and mind games. Totally different scenarios and stressors.

Shamar may be lazy; everything suggests so. But there is validity in conserving energy. Did he take it too far with 'bring me rice' - oh, yes. That is my view of Shamar in a nutshell - right on, right on, and oh, look -he just ran straight over the line and, yep, still going. I really enjoyed watching him put Reynold in his place and call out his bullshit . . . and then he kept going and was too hyped up to stop and consider that he was now yelling at everyone around him because he was angry with one person.

I felt bad for him because a corneal scratch is no joke. It's excessively painful. And he had two scratches, one of which was described as a divet. Ouch.

Came to their senses in what way? That they were talking about voting him off? They'd talked about that every time. Whether or not they would have voted him off is debatable, especially given the swing towards driving off the 'weak'er players. Certainly, they were going to keep him around a bit longer. And half of their irritation with him stemmed from his complaining about his eye and the feeling he was being more than usually lazy and complaining. And it turned out - oh, wow. He had a legitimate injury - one that can be excruciatingly painful. An injury so bad that he needed to be immediately treated because there was a risk of vision loss. So maybe that affected his attitude a bit?

Don't get me wrong, I would not have wanted to live with Shamar on my tribe. But I liked him a hell of a lot more than I like Reynold or Eddie - you at least know where you stand and he's forthright about it.

Muscade

Muscade

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 7, 2013 @ 11:20 AM

Hope his eye heals quickly, but good riddance all the same. Hope never to see him again on my TV after the reunion. I'm not usually a conspiracist, but between his viral video and his stated intention to quit, I'm not convinced that this emergency evacuation was really an emergency evacuation. And how lovely is it that the guy got hurt lying around doing nothing? (I'm probably going to hell for this).

Edited by Muscade, Mar 7, 2013 @ 11:21 AM.

CM52

CM52

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 7, 2013 @ 11:43 AM

Glad he's gone, and glad to see no one was upset outside of how it affected the gameplay. He did nothing to earn sympathy.

EggMan

EggMan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2013 @ 12:22 PM

I agree with poster elsewhere who said that Shamar's exit seemed just a little too convenient. Exit interviews have said that this guy was screaming much of the time, much worse than what they've shown on TV. The producers see the tape that comes back from camp. They knew what was going down. As far as I can remember nobody has been booted from the show due to physical violence, and I'll speculate that with this guy there might have been a real risk of it, or at least a seriously considered one.

It doesn't take much for a producer/cameraman to quietly ask Shamar "would you like me to call medical?" at the least complaint. Shamar jumps on the idea and on the boat Peachy tells medical that they don't want to take any chances with this guy. Problem solved.

And good freaking riddance. He was not a good Survivor, and certainly not good TV.

ETA: contrast what we saw with this pre-game interview.

"Big “Survivor” fan, since 2001."

"Yeah, I want people to quit. I want people to be tired and to miss their kids. I want them to hate life."

"My personality will have to disarm people. Once they know who I am they’ll be like, “I like him!” "

etc.

Edited by EggMan, Mar 7, 2013 @ 12:39 PM.

easjer

easjer

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2013 @ 3:24 PM

Short of some fascinating editing technology, they weren't faking the visible swelling and severe redness of the eye. It was obviously very irritated, and my mother said "I bet his cornea is scratched" before medical showed up. My mom is a tough, tough lady, but she said her corneal abrasion was some of the worst pain in her life.

And if they've had some of the people on they've had (cough, Brandon, cough) who have short fuses and make threats and do nothing, I doubt very much they rig an exit because they are worried about Shamar yelling a lot. Not to drift off topic, but Jeff Probst was clear in regards to the big Brandon incident airing next week that the reaction was "Get the cameras rolling" and not "whoa, dude is mentally unstable. Maybe we should rethink this casting decision." so I have my doubts about this being a faked medical emergency.

CarolMK

CarolMK

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2013 @ 10:35 PM

Was there any update on how he was doing after he left Survivor? This was filmed nearly a year ago, I wonder how his eye healed and what, if anything had to be done to it.

CletusMusashi

CletusMusashi

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2013 @ 11:31 PM

Statistically speaking, it would appear that the people who spend a good chunk of the day walking upright with their eyes five feet away from the sand don't have nearly as much trouble with sand in their eyes as the people who just lie on their backs all day.

RebeccaCP

RebeccaCP

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 8, 2013 @ 5:13 AM

Was there any update on how he was doing after he left Survivor? This was filmed nearly a year ago, I wonder how his eye healed and what, if anything had to be done to it.

CarolMK, in various interviews he's mentioned his eye is much better and "great". He was actually kept in the hospital for 6 days because of an infection in his finger/hand caused by a piece of bamboo jammed in his finger. It sounds like they had to do a little surgery to get it out and cleaned up. I had notice he was propping his hand up in the shelter, and holding his arm carefully when he went to see medical.

I don't blame them for pulling him for his cornea injury. I've scratched the cornea a few times in my 22 year tenure with contacts, and it's not pleasant. But I've had a divot once, as well, and that was far more worrisome to my opthamologist than those scratches, due to infection risk. Yeah, I'd just as soon not have an infected eyeball on an island, thanks! The treatment was pretty much the same for both though (drops, maybe an eye patch), but the divot pain lasted a few days, while the scratch usually hurts for a day or so, and recovers more quickly in my personal experience. I was far more sensitive to light far longer with the divot than the scratches, too.

Edited by RebeccaCP, Mar 8, 2013 @ 5:14 AM.

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2013 @ 3:40 PM

ITA he had no choice but to leave after his eye injury. I think, unintentionally, Shamar was doing everything wrong. If you spend 19 hours a day, lying on your back, staring up at a bunch of dirty bamboo, the odds are pretty good that a gust of wind is going to shake some of that grit down into your open eye. If you lie around all day your muscles will quickly start to atrophy and your heart rate will slow so that when you finally do get up and move around it will race and you will feel weak and shaky. Starvation diet? More weak shakiness. I spent three weeks in a nursing home with a broken leg a few years ago and the rehab people forced me and my 98 year-old roomie to get up and do stuff all day long. We hated it. Me because I was loaded with Percocet and just wanted to sleep and roomie because she was, well, 98, but they kept making us get up and move. That makes me think the idea of conserving energy just doesn't offset that weakening effect of lying around all day. Plus he had no activities to distract his mind from the hunger. Shamar was just a real good example of how not to play Survivor.

orionlion

orionlion

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2013 @ 4:14 PM

I bet when he was in Iraq, laying around in the shade and "conserving energy" was the thing to do when you could. However, he probably didn't have as much time to do that in Iraq because there always would have been stuff to do and there were probably frequent orders to move out or move on. But still, fall back mode was probably to do nothing much until you had orders to go do something again.

Maybe if his tribe had yelled "On your feet, Soldier!" and gave him specific stuff to do he would have felt happier.

fivestone

fivestone

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2013 @ 4:49 PM

Maybe if his tribe had yelled "On your feet, Soldier!" and gave him specific stuff to do he would have felt happier.

"On your feet, Soldier!" would probably have irritated him further. "On your feet, Marine!", however, possibly he would have responded to. ;)

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 6:35 PM

Apparently, Shamar thought if he had a six-pack he would have been more well liked. Talk about delusional:

HitFix: As a last question: I know players who get medically evacuated almost always get an itch to try "Survivor" again. Do you have the itch to return again?

Shamar: Of course. I think "Survivor" is a once-in-lifetime opportunity and I wouldn't turn it down. Know what I'm saying? Of course. Watching myself and seeing how I played, I think I would have been more physically attractive as far as a six-pack and I think I would have done a lot better if I had a six-pack, than coming in there as a bigger, heavier guy, just because a lot of people, they tend to like a lot of people that are physically attractive to them. So I wish that I would have done a few more sit-ups.

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 9:23 AM

But, Shamar, people are voted out if they look good. Just ask Eddie.

JodithGrace

JodithGrace

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 11:25 AM

Maybe if he had brought a six pack, he would have been more popular.