S26: Matt

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

20 replies to this topic

Pin

Pin

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 11:28 PM

Hi. I have way too much facial hair. And I'm a fan of Lex.

Not a good sign that he identifies himself as "over-the-top." He could end up being one of the "characters" of this season.

Isuzu

Isuzu

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 7:23 AM

Yeah, Rupert and Lex do not good Survivor players OR characters make. I'm actually really wary of that guy. I hope I'm wrong.

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 5:08 PM

I had the same visceral reaction to him as I did with Zane. I'm hoping that spells the same result.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

• Interests:Left wing politics, sci-fi, sports, competitive reality shows

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 7:19 PM

Yeah, Rupert and Lex do not good Survivor players OR characters make

Lex was a decent player his first go-round, but made the mistake of trusting his out-of-game relationships too much in All Stars. Rupert was definitely a favorite character for a large part of the audience. If Matt is going for the hearts of the majority of Survivor fans, Rupert is not a bad character to pick. After all, he was the unquestioned star of Pearl Islands in most eyes, and he won fan favorite in All Stars. Doesn't sound like a guy that's a bad pick if you're going for being a character who appeals to a wide variety of the fans. If you're wanting to win, that's another thing. I'm just not sure about the over-the-top characterization Matt makes of himself. Could be exhausting.

Edited by BDArizona, Jan 27, 2013 @ 7:21 PM.

scowl

scowl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 1:37 PM

His self-comparisons to Lex and Rupert are pretty shallow. He says he's like Rupert because of the ugly beard (which he lists as a "hobby") and "his teddy bear personality". He likes Lex because "he was a cool guy" and a "dude with a band and lots of tattoos."

Oh well, what do you expect from a guy who's only... wait, Matt's 38 years old?

BJack

BJack

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 1:30 PM

Give him a chance. I went to high school with him and he really is a nice guy.

KimberStormer

KimberStormer

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 5:45 PM

Don't worry BJack, nobody comes off very well in these forms. I'm sure we'll like him fine when we see him, dependent, of course on the edit. (It's a probably a good idea to remember it's not the real human being we're seeing, just their edit. So if people still say mean things, it's not really him they don't like.)

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 6:56 PM

I was impressed with how cool he was while the big Marine was trying to start a fight with him, he even told Matt to shut-up and Matt just shrugged it off. OTOH I thought he might have made a mistake by hesitating to make a firm alliance with Michael and his three ladies. It reminded me of Penner's mistake last season.

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 3:59 PM

Several episodes in and Shamar is still yelling at Matt and Matt is still maintaining his miraculous mellow. I just braided my hair in respect.

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 8:19 PM

Darn. My favorite player of the season. He really didn't make any mistakes in the game as it turns out he did make an alliance with Michael, and he was consistently nice to everyone, hardworking and good in challenges. It's a shame to go out over a random tribe shuffle.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 10:30 AM

Darn. My favorite player of the season. He really didn't make any mistakes in the game as it turns out he did make an alliance with Michael, and he was consistently nice to everyone, hardworking and good in challenges. It's a shame to go out over a random tribe shuffle.

One can argue he made the following mistakes

1. Matt and Michael were too obvious about how tight they were. The "Cool Kids" did the same thing and were criticized for it, so why not Matt

2. He told the truth about not having an idol

3. Voting out an ally at oldGota's last time at tribal rather than Eddie or Reynold. Perhaps nuBikal might have a fighting chance at challenges if nuGota didn't have both Eddie & Reynold.

That being said, Matt's boot does seem to have a large bit of randomness about it given the tribal imblance, the swap so close to the merge (if the merge is at 12), and Corrine's "gaydar".

EggMan

EggMan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 10:46 AM

Based on what little we saw, Matt talked more than Mike or Julia. Along with his link to Mike I think this threatened Cochran, who is the one who sold the "vote Matt" platform to the others. A quiet player who is having trouble making inroads is less of a (perceived) threat than a verbal player who the other players like. The threat is that as time goes by Matt could have reached some sort of 'tipping point' where he is no longer considered for elimination. What this showed me is that Cochran is hanging back but he's darting in to play the game when he thinks it matters.

Muscade

Muscade

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 10:53 AM

Good point, EggMan. If Matt appeared more likeable to me, watching from home, than the other two, maybe that's the perception he got on the island too. It might indeed be why Cochran was targeting him instead of Michael. And Cochran might indeed be influencing the game when it matters (from what we're shown).

thehepburn

thehepburn

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 12:46 PM

If that freak Cockran of all people says that you reek of desperation, then you must be the most desperate player of all time. Good riddance. I never liked him since he obviously thought he as a much better player than he actually was.

Laira

Laira

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 1:05 PM

He looks like he walked in off the set of The Hobbit. Anyway, I thought he was okay. He certainly wasn't obnoxious or egotistical compared to some.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless you’re a Just Tuned In, who won’t be able to use it until you’ve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 4:02 PM

He seemed like a really sweet guy, especially in his post-boot speech. I still want to pin him down and remove 7/8 of his hair, though.

KimberStormer

KimberStormer

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 10:04 PM

Am I right in thinking that, so far, Matt is the only male voted out of the game?

riley702

riley702

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 10:18 PM

Do Shamar and Brandon count? Or are you thinking those were pretty much quitters?

Edited by riley702, Mar 27, 2013 @ 10:19 PM.

KimberStormer

KimberStormer

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 10:24 PM

I guess Brandon technically got voted out, but it was highly irregular, as they say. Shamar, I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was medevac'd, but in any case, he certainly wasn't voted out.

So yeah, Matt is the only male who's been voted out in a normal tribal council situation. Mindboggling. I just have to assume this has something to do with Probst's love for the season.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 10:39 PM

I guess all the fans (plus Fran) got all friendly at loser lodge. Also, Matt being one of the first guys voted out first must have sucked. The Fans didn't have a fighting chance.

Muscade

Muscade

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 10:56 AM

In honour of the [not respected this time] tradition of talking about everyone after they speak at reunion, I'd say if they can bring Francesca back, they should bring this guy back if they really want to do repeats. I found his game play and positioning very interesting, until he was voted off, that is. Which may be why he was voted off but still, just wanted to post that I would have liked to see more of his strategy/game going forward, could have been interesting.