5-11: "The Boy Must Live" 2013.01.11

• Please log in to reply

183 replies to this topic

Albion19

Albion19

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 6, 2013 @ 3:26 PM

He's not really a boy or September's son. He's an experiment that proves a point. As best I can tell, he's lived a great many years by the time Walter takes him through the portal. It would have been even odder if he suddenly was being treated as small boy by September.

Well I agree that September didn't feel much familial love for him when he sent him into the past but by the time Walter took Michael through the portal September did love him and thought of him as a son.

Edited by Albion19, Mar 6, 2013 @ 3:28 PM.

jophan

jophan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 7:04 AM

2) I think the bit about "going number two in a public restroom" was ad-libbed. Josh's laugh seems genuine, but mostly you can see that he looks at the camera for a second, like he can't even believe what he just heard! I loved that.

I doubt that it was ad-libbed. We've heard before that ad-libs aren't encouraged, the show is filmed "from the page". The actors' scope is in behavior and expression. And it's really a very Walter thing to say. As for Peter's reaction, it's just effective, realistic acting.

Taryn74

Taryn74

Stalker

Posted Sep 19, 2013 @ 10:20 PM

Wow, viewers were really split on whether they liked S5 or not, weren't they?  I liked it.  I think it was a very emotionally satisfying end.  The science didn't make much sense to me but honestly, it never has on this show LOL so I was able to get past that.

But this isn't the finale ep thread, so I'll stick to comments about 5x11.

UGH for frick's sake I keep erasing what I've typed!  Stupid laptop with its super-sensitive keys.  And now I don't have time to finish this post, have to leave for my son's football game.  I'll be back later.

Okay I'm back.

I really enjoyed this episode.  I thought the idea that "The boy must live....the boy is important" having a double meaning all this time was really cool.  I think in his own stunted-emotional way, in 1985 September was explaining to Walter that he saved Peter because he realized while Observing that a parent would go to such great lengths because their children are important to them.  Something that is so totally obvious to us, was a novel idea to September, as an Observer.  He was learning, by Observing humans in this time period, how to love his own son and make him important, and saving someone else's son was kind of a 'thank you for teaching me' thing.  Peter later became important to the world (and to September personally, because he helped save Michael) but at the time, September saved him because he was important to Walter.  That's just the way I saw that, anyway.

The one Invader tapping his foot to the music and Windmark looking at him like WHAT. THE. EFF? without even changing expression was hysterical.  Hubby and I yelled at the TV though when Windmark escaped the bomb, like AGAIN?  What's it gonna take to kill this guy?

People have been complaining about there being no female Observers/Invaders, but like one poster said I really see them as being more asexual anyway.

I guess that's all I want to say about this one.  On to the *cries* finale!

Jodhaa

Jodhaa

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 6:11 PM

Wow, viewers were really split on whether they liked S5 or not, weren't they?

Yeah, we were but I think in general the fandom were positive on the the 2 part finale.   In fact I watched them again last week and I enjoyed them even more.   There's still some things I wish Wyman had spent more time with but overall they are enjoyable and emotional. 

Edited by Jodhaa, Sep 20, 2013 @ 6:12 PM.