2013 Critics' Choice Awards

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

10 replies to this topic

whyistherumgone

whyistherumgone

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 10:00 PM

"I would like to thank the Academy." - Ben Affleck

For me, the whole event was worth it just for that. Loved him winning Best Director. Totally deserved that standing ovation & outburst of applause/cheering. And then the added bonus of Argo winning Best Picture. It made me so happy for him.

I really need to see Silver Linings Playbook.

Edited by whyistherumgone, Jan 10, 2013 @ 10:25 PM.

loriro

loriro

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 10:27 PM

I agree. I thought he got totally hosed by the Academy, and was so happy to see him win that award. And his opening line was just pitch perfect. Said with the appropriate amount of snark and self-deprecation to be charming instead of obnoxious.

Man, the critics really love Jennifer Lawrence. I like her too, but overall thought SLP was over-rated.

violet1473

violet1473

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 10:27 AM

Daniel Day Lewis was awkward and sad to watch/listen to.

It just proves that some people are incredible on the screen when they have a script to read off of. But then when they have to speak in front of a crowd as themselves, they clam up and ramble on...

Edited by violet1473, Jan 11, 2013 @ 10:28 AM.

blackburn

blackburn

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 11:27 AM

I wasn't too surprised by DDL's speech. He's what I expected him to be - takes his craft seriously, won't snub any awards shows out of respect for his director and producers but doesn't really care much for it all. This is the first time I've seen Jessica Chastain speak on stage, and she looked a bit....frail? Didn't look at all like the confident woman in her movies. She almost looks unsure by her fame and needs someone to guide her. Oh Jennifer Lawrence, way to play up to the crowd! After saying 'acting is stupid' in one of her interviews, in a room full of actors she says movies helped her life and she didn't mean to criticise.

There were a lot of unhappy faces tonight. Did anyone notice Spielberg's 'wtf?' face after Ben Affleck won?

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 11:48 AM

DAMN! I missed this?

I've got the most unhealthy addiction to Daniel Day-Lewis and I'm not ashamed to admit, will gobble up anything where I can hear the man speak.

Anyone know where I can see this online? I haven't had any luck finding it.

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 3:16 PM

This is the first time I've seen Jessica Chastain speak on stage, and she looked a bit....frail? Didn't look at all like the confident woman in her movies. She almost looks unsure by her fame and needs someone to guide her.

I think I've read before that she has anxiety issues, which I think is why she look kind of tense and timid at awards shows.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 4:59 PM

Wasn't Spielberg going to throw a fit if Ben won or something? It's not the Oscars, Stevie, it's Critics' Choice. Geezz....

BlueFlamingo

BlueFlamingo

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 5:05 PM

Anne Hathaway's acceptance speech was so obnoxious. Apparently, they mispelled her name on the monitor, and she began by saying "This is a bittersweet moment for me. My name is actually spelled with an 'e..."

I was so happy to see Jessica Chastain win Best Actress for Zero Dark Thirty. She's incredibly talented and gave an eloquent, beautiful speech.

Do not understand the love for Silver Linings Playbook or Jennifer Lawrence. She's so inarticulate and vulgar.

Also, this event looks like it was put together for 88 cents.

blackburn

blackburn

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 6:20 PM

Also, this event looks like it was put together for 88 cents.

Agreed. Rather than focusing on a person for more than 2 seconds, they just kept cutting everywhere. They had gossip gold there - all those celebs in the room so close to one another after the snubs of the day. There were several bitchfaces in the audience though. When did the Critics Choice Awards become the MTV Awards? Best Comedy Actor? Best Action Movie? And where do the Drama movies fit in there?

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 1:24 PM

It's funny that for an association that judges other people's artistic work, they are so tone deaf as to the production of their own awards show. It comes off so cheap and tacky. There's a way to be enjoyable but still hold some gravitas and award films of different genres.

I will say I thought the bartender next to the life size Ted was really cute. I kept looking at him when they would cut to Ted.

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 3:20 PM

When did the Critics Choice Awards become the MTV Awards? Best Comedy Actor? Best Action Movie? And where do the Drama movies fit in there?

I actually think those categories fit well into a movie award ceremony, any actually. Whether it's just to include some action/comedy or to make the award show look less stuffy, I'm glad they included these categories and still kept it prestigious.