9-10: "Lice" 2013.01.10

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

43 replies to this topic

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 11:51 PM

I'd never heard of mayonnaise as a cure for lice before, so I looked it up. It's legit! I think that's pretty awesome

I found it disgusting, I couldn't do it. I certainly wouldn't be staying at work with that in my hair. I'd be going home immediately, buying some lice shampoo.

FWIW, both my kids got lice, and the cootie Jacuzzi (mineral oil and vinegar) worked the first time for my son, but the shampoo took several times to work for my daughter. There's a problem with lice building up an immunity to the insecticide.

I didn't love this episode, but I'll admit it: I found the Erin/Pete hairwash hot. I may have been flashing on some steamy Office fanfic from back in the day, but, yeah. Hot.

Col Bat Guano

Col Bat Guano

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 1:32 AM

I think Jim was trying to be sympathetic to the fact that Pam was stuck at home with the kids while he was hooping it up with Dr. J. when he kept covering up his day. I don't think this was foreshadowing of marital problems.

edited to add: Obviously, I was wrong.

Edited by Col Bat Guano, Jun 24, 2013 @ 4:28 PM.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 10:27 AM

Andy who?
It seems as though Dwight is the de facto manager.

Shanna Marie

Shanna Marie

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 12:56 PM

I agree that Pam's curly hair after the mayo treatment was cute, and it brings up something that's been nagging at me: Pam's "fancy new Beesley" hair made sense for the character at the time when she was single and rebuilding her self-esteem, but as someone with curly hair, I've been wondering how/why she bothers or manages that with a baby and a toddler. It takes a lot of time to get curly hair to look like her normal look -- straighten it to remove the natural curl, and then curling it to get a little bounce instead of that flat-iron look. We're talking at least half an hour a day, and it has to be re-straightened the moment it gets even slightly damp (unless her hair is very different from mine). If she really does like it straight, she might do it as often as possible, but there would likely be a few curly days mixed in, especially in times when Jim is out of town and she's on her own with the babies. The big problem with her initial look was the shapeless long, frizzy curls while the bangs were straightened. With her hair shorter and more shaped, it would look cute curly, the way it was when she and Meredith went out. I guess that's my personal nit-pick (sorry, couldn't resist).

It is possible that Meredith had an independent case of lice -- Cece got hers at school and passed it to Pam, but then Meredith also had lice, and so many people at the office getting lice may have been because of two carriers. Didn't Meredith assume they'd migrated from (ahem) elsewhere on her body? I was actually waiting for Dwight to attempt a lice autopsy and determine that there were two different kinds, so that some of the cases in the office weren't from Meredith, and that was what would place the blame on Pam.

It was fun seeing Erin be competent in an area where she has expertise.

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 5:58 PM

I have always thought that Dr. Jay is good looking. But DAMNIT that man is still FINE!!! Just checked and he's 62. How in the hell does he still look so good??

I probably suck at basketball but I'd have went one on one with him too.

I do miss Andy because he's good looking.

Overreaction shaving her head. But she looked really good bald.

vinyl

vinyl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 11:54 AM

Don't know why, but I hate Erin and Pete.

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 6:28 PM

Don't know why, but I hate Erin and Pete.

I'm with you. They're pretty damn corny and hokey. Reminds me of Jim and Pam minus most of the humor, because Jim's more of a smartass. Pam gets it and has witty moments. But Erin's more of an "ah shucks" Pollyanna.

Col Bat Guano

Col Bat Guano

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 2:05 AM

Anything is better than Andy and Erin....or Andy stories in general.

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 7:02 AM

I just remembered I read in an old teen book about putting mayo in hair. But it was supposed to be to make it softer or straighter. I think it was Go Ask Alice or a Judy Blume or Barthe de Clements.

Did I miss a moment how they set up the context Pam gave it to them (yes I believe she did)? Like she threw her hat or coat on someone's? They could have just touched on it in a moment like at the bar.

RustbeltWriter

RustbeltWriter

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 9:34 AM

Who would take their wife's call in the middle of such an important meeting, unless she had texted him SOS or something?

Who has two thumbs and always takes calls from his wife? This guy! I don't care who I'm in with, if she's taking the time to call during work hours, I take the call.

As for Jim biting his lip, I've done that plenty of times and I get just as frustrated as he was on the second and third time. It's like you can't believe you keep nailing the same spot over and over again.

Edited by RustbeltWriter, Jan 14, 2013 @ 9:35 AM.

Westy8283

Westy8283

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 12:45 PM

I think Jim was trying to be sympathetic to the fact that Pam was stuck at home with the kids while he was hooping it up with Dr. J. when he kept covering up his day. I don't think this was foreshadowing of marital problems.

I think that's right, but it is still lying and this is the issue I've had with Jim/Pan since the sports marketing plot came up. Their appeal at the start of the show was they were two smart people with perspective who treated their jobs and workplace as a place to work and have fun. They planned pranks and appreciated each other's gags. Often they were the only two in on a gag.

Since they got married, they have become dishonest with each other. Pam complains when Jim has an opportunity, Jim hides the fact he took the job, Pam hides that she struggles when he is gone (really? you can't even pull that off for a week?) and Jim hides that he is having a dream day.

I suspect the Pam and Jim from season one would be horrified at what they have become now.

DuckyinKy

DuckyinKy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 4:53 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Ed Helms directed this episode. It's odd that there is just no storyline for him.

Col Bat Guano

Col Bat Guano

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 1:40 AM

I suspect the Pam and Jim from season one would be horrified at what they have become now.

Because back in S1-2 they were all about sharing their feelings with each other?

Sister Magpie

Sister Magpie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 10:46 PM

Since they got married, they have become dishonest with each other. Pam complains when Jim has an opportunity, Jim hides the fact he took the job, Pam hides that she struggles when he is gone (really? you can't even pull that off for a week?) and Jim hides that he is having a dream day.

I think they've laid out why this is happening. It's because the real problem is that Jim really does want to make a change in their life and Pam really doesn't. So Jim instinctively plays stuff down and Pam pretends to be happier about things than they are. It's coming to a moment where they have to be honest and deal with the reality. Mostly Pam has to deal with it because there's no way Jim's going to stay in Scranton.