1-9: "Be Careful of Stones that You Throw" 2013.01.09

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

78 replies to this topic

Kirsty

Kirsty

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 7:42 PM

I really enjoyed Juliet's storyline, and Rayna's too. I love their scenes together so I'm thrilled that their tour is finally going ahead. At the moment I wouldn't mind if Scarlet, Gunnar and Avery all faded out of the picture, as I'm losing interest in them. Deacon's story didn't move forward much in this episode, but I don't mind because I find Chip Esten hugely enjoyable in that role. He reminds me a little of the lead on "Justified". When he smoothly delivers lines like "Me and Happy? We don't get along too good", I start imagining what his own show would be like. Can't you see him as sheriff? ;)

I like how it's really clear that Juliet's issues can't be fixed by "finding the right guy", you know? And you could totally see why a quick marriage looked good to her in the previous episode too, if it meant sex with Sean, plus the happy family she never had.

I completely disagree that Sean's mom is too over the top evil; I think she hits exactly the right note. You can bet she's super nice to people she actually likes. But she's a great antagonist for Juliet. She knows exactly how to hit all of Juliet's weak spots, and she does so with a smile. Plus, that quickie marriage makes it easier to sympathise with his mom, as it was obviously a terrible idea and his parents aren't being unreasonable about it.

So which of the married country divas will Liam hook up with on tour?! I'm guessing Juliet, which would generate some good drama as he's always on Rayna's side in their on-going war. Liam and Juliet would be fun to watch -- if he's capable of taking her on. He talks shit about her when she's not around, but can he say it to her face when she's behaving like an asshole? I guess we'll see.

Edited to add:

She is looking for a man to complete her but what she really needs is a friend/older sister/surrogate mom. I wonder if Rayna will be dragged reluctantly into that role.

I would love to see that, if only for a while. Any and all versions of the Rayna/Juliet relationship sound great to me, so I hope we get to see a bunch.

Edited by Kirsty, Jan 13, 2013 @ 2:57 PM.

Blimpie123

Blimpie123

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 9:14 PM

I was so surprised that Juliette didn't go through with the wedding. I feel like the show RUSHED to the inevitable breakup of Sean/Juliette, but I thought it would be less jarring. I mean, there was nothing that happened that was SO bad that Juliette would chuck the relationship. She even showed real restraint when Sean said he set up a meeting time with her mom (mom being a hair trigger into Tasmanian Devil territory for Juliette). The cracks were clear ("let's go to NEW YORK!"); but, Juliette was still in the mode of putting on her best face, so I was not prepared for her to give up on the dream family so easily. I wonder what the breaking point was?

Rayna and Teddy had some of the best scenes ever. There is a definite shift in the writing on this front b/c these two in break up mode have a lot more depth than they did as happy husband and wife. This is a lot more interesting too.

Oh, Deacon. He's going a lot more dark, lately. That reporter is TROUBLE, too. He's going to get double-crossed. He clearly doesn't care for the spotlight and I think she's angling to dig up old bones and expose a scandal. Poor Deacon, I bet he took the fall for someone in a drunk driving accident. I dislike him being away from the central characters, so I liked that the preview showed things reaching a head. Hope this means we get to reel Deacon back into the fold.

I don't understand why Scarlett doesn't like Gunner? I mean, why not? This hemming and hawing and backsliding with Avery makes NO sense. On a side note that I doubt would be a storyline...but she had awesome chem with Avery's best friend? That was a cool twist that she performed with his band...hah! Speaking of Dark Deacon, we got a bit of Dark Gunner too. I guess this was the "men in a snit" episode, lol. It is beyond time for him and Yogurt Lady to part. It's beyond done.

Well, I'm excited by the pace of the show and I can't wait to see what's next! The preview looked good. Loved Rayna/Juliette at the press conference, looking so glam!!!

jjh1776

jjh1776

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 12:48 AM

I was sort of disappointed when Juliette didn't make it to the altar, if only because it reduces the chance of Rayna and Mom of Sean encountering each other. I have no idea what plot twist would get the two of them in the same room (although I'm sure the writers could come up with something) but as I was watching Juliette and her mother-in-law tangling, I kept thinking how much fun it would be to see Rayna and Mom have a Nice/Nasty-off.

And for someone who is supposed to be a master psychologist/manipulator, Lamar certainly is bad at handling Rayna.

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 11:48 AM

For the first and possibly last time, Teddy actually impressed me. His threatening Lamar after his attempt to use the girls to blackmail Rayna was a pleasant suprise. Lamar has done some shitty things before, but trying to exploit his own granddaughters was a new low, even for him. Props to Rayna & Teddy for their united front where thew girls are concerned. With Lamar's track record, it's no wonder Rayna hates him and his late wife cheated on him-and it's just a matter of time before he pisses off Tansy, too.

That Teddy knows he's not the bio dad of one of the girls but loves her anyway was even more impressive. I still think that Maddie is Deacon's bio daughter because there have been subtle implications of it throughout the season and yet another guy being the one would be totally out of left field, from my perspective. Given Deacon's substance abuse issues, Rayna's keeping the truth from him was understandable at the time, but IMO she can't do it forever, especially if Maddie gets sick and/or needs a blood transfusion, Heaven forbid. The implosion of Rayna & Teddy's marriage and the decision to keep up appearances for the girls' sake was arguably the best acting in the episode. Kudos to Connie Britton & Eric Close.

Avery can't be responsible for filing everyone else's dreams though. I haven't worked in the music business but I worked in business for 20 years and if I would have said I wouldn't take a promotion unless the boss promoted my friends too I wouldn't have gotten promotion. Of course, once I was promoted, i was able to offer better jobs to my friends down the road and Avery might be able to do this too. Would it have been better for none of the band members to realize their dreams? Avery's producer....made it clear that Avery could not bring his band along. Avery is not so well known as to be able to demand things or get multiple offers. It is nice in theory to think you would turn down all opportunities if they didn't include your friends, but most of the time it would mean you would not be able to move forward in the world or ever seen your dreams come true.

I don't think a singer ditching his old friends/band to make a solo career is unheard of in the music industry. If his band wants a deal, one of them should sleep with the manager, too.

Chiming in on the Avery situation, yeah, it's crappy that he moved on without his buddies, but turning down the offer would be stupid. Let him try to reach some level of success with one album, then he has some power to call the shots regarding who he wants to play with him in the future. His friends need to get over feeling betrayed.

Re the first point, I know something about the business world and while I agree that it's impractical and unrealistic to always put friendship above business, there's more to life than business. Avery lead his now ex-bandmates to believe that they were a team, but he threw them under the bus the first chance he got. Avery may not be powerful enough to make demands, but Marilyn, his manager/fuck buddy is, or so she claims. Musicians have ditched their groups and gone solo countless times, but how Avery did it was shitty. They were Avery's friends. They trusted him and he betrayed them. Avery got what he wanted at their expense. Even if Avery wanted to hire the band to work with him again, that doesn't mean that they will or should. Since Avery stabbed them in the back once, while he might promise them he won't do it again, if they didn't believe him, I wouldn't blame them. If the band wants their own deal, then they should earn it on their own merit without resorting to booty calls with Marilyn to do it. The way I see it, it's a matter of karma, plain and simple. Whatever deeds one does, good or bad, it comes back to them tenfold, sooner or later, in one way or another. The more bridges one burns, the more dust one chokes on and Avery's burnt a few bridges too many this week and if his reaction to his potential solo material is any indication, it will come back to haunt him bigtime.

Edited by DollEyes, Jan 12, 2013 @ 1:52 PM.

Midru

Midru

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 2:46 PM

I do not think it is over necessarily between Juliette and Sean. At least I hope not. I would love to see Juliette married long enough to get some shots in at that mother in law. The MIL is very interesting; I hate her for being mean to Juliette, but completely understand that she wants to protect her family. It just really bugs me how catty she is doing it. Also, Juliette is fun and charming when she is not under pressure; I hope she gets on the high side of circumstance soon.

Here's hoping for more scenes between Juliette and Rayna. It would be so awesome if they became allies if not friends.

Regarding the Avery Bartlett(sp?) Band. If you name yourself the Avery Bartlett Band, then Avery Bartlett can stick any three guys behind him and they count as his band. Avery shouldn't have abandoned them so quickly, in my opinion, but as the only bad boy on the show he's got a lot of ground to cover! What's next for him? I vote drug addiction!

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 3:09 PM

I am not sure what anyone finds wrong with Sean's Mother. She was right about Juliette and she was right to want to protect her family from her. That is what any good Mother does. She could see right through Juliette's fake act she was putting on at church and at their home. That little nice girl is not who Juliette is at all. It is sad that the little sister and Sean fell for it. Sean's Mother has probably had to deal with other women like Juliette throwing themselves at her son.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 6:00 PM

The only thing I took exception to was her referring to her son's "brand". It came across as materialistic, not maternal. I can't remember the exact phrasing, but it was like the parents had created this investment and cashcow that was Sean.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to watch some more Juliette versus Monster-in-Law scenes. I found it highly entertaining. Having Juliette in the position to have to bite her tongue at the MIL observations and statements was fun and if they show Juliette getting in some payback digs at her I would not feel bad for her either. TeFaux will surely be the one caught in a hard spot between his Mommy and his wifey.

LeGrandElephant

LeGrandElephant

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 7:31 PM

the Avery Bartlett Band

Yeah and that's a really terrible band name anyway. Avery's Exes is much better.

Kitty15

Kitty15

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 8:32 PM

How about Julliett sleeps with Teddy. Then she would be hated.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 9:09 AM

s, but how Avery did it was shitty. They were Avery's friends. They trusted him and he betrayed them. Avery got what he wanted at their expense. Even if Avery wanted to hire the band to work with him again, that doesn't mean that they will or should. Since Avery stabbed them in the back once, while he might promise them he won't do it again, if they didn't believe him, I wouldn't blame them.

Plus, it isn't just business. Music isn't about a team performance on a big project, where the team leader might garner a promotion, leaving team members behind to excel and gain prominence in their own right. A band member isn't an effective manager, he's part of an entity that is considered whole only when it has all parts. Without them and their sacrifices, Avery never gets his shot. They worked through every dingy club with him and there are absolutes about a person that shouldn't be for sale, like loyalty and appreciation. Avery didn't even try to fight for the band, he just made a face and pitched his childhood friends.

Also, there's no actual indication that they weren't truly good enough and that they were holding Avery back. I know fame is exceptionally prized, but Avery doesn't have a guarantee of that and he just cut himself off from people who did care about him. Music isn't quarterly reports and his actions stand in direct contrast to Rayna's who apparently didn't pitch her label when she started to make it big, she stuck with her label allowing the label to make it big also.

I am not sure what anyone finds wrong with Sean's Mother. She was right about Juliette and she was right to want to protect her family from her. That is what any good Mother does. She could see right through Juliette's fake act she was putting on at church and at their home. That little nice girl is not who Juliette is at all. It is sad that the little sister and Sean fell for it. Sean's Mother has probably had to deal with other women like Juliette throwing themselves at her son.

It's a couple of things for me. For instance Sean's mother was deceptive towards Sean, letting him believe she liked Juliette and then pulling her aside and doing things like throwing her mother in her face. That's not okay. Yes, she was right that Juliette wasn't a good match for her son, but she also brought about the quicky wedding by treating the whole thing like a pissing contest. She needed to be having those conversations with Sean, not a girl that Sean's mother actually didn't know well enough to be right about anything. Sean's mom was a self-fulfilling prophecy here and aside from referring to her own son as something to be marketed, she was phony, deceptive and unnecessarily cruel, I thought.

And she pretty much got what she deserved for trying to bully a 21-year-old girl behind Sean's back. Have the objections, but treat your son like the adult he is and talk to him. Also, don't beat up on a girl you barely know, that's how I felt about it.

I think any good mom would have been concerned, but only a snake-in-the-grass tries to express that concern in the way that Sean's mother did. She wasn't open or honest, she was deceptive and manipulative.

Edited by stillshimpy, Jan 13, 2013 @ 9:15 AM.

Midru

Midru

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 9:50 AM

I was thinking about Lamar's wife and Rayna's mom going out with that musician during her marriage. How awesome would it be if that was Watty White? And couldn't that guy be Rayna's biological father?

I don't know if they will or even want to try to humanize Lamar. But playing to that story would be a great start.

Yes, we need more scenes with that Mom in law. It is the only person in Juliette's life she can't talk back to and has to try to please. I'd love to see her grab some power in this relationship, probably through telling Sean what his mom is doing. After all, he is totally in puppy love with her- she should be able to pretty easily turn him against his mom.

I know this is a drama, but I hope to see more moments where people are having a good time. Music more than anything else is joyful, and I would just love to see a little more joy from ALL the characters!

BBDi

BBDi

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 10:22 AM

I think any good mom would have been concerned, but only a snake-in-the-grass tries to express that concern in the way that Sean's mother did. She wasn't open or honest, she was deceptive and manipulative.

I think they were going for a kind of two-faced pillar of society who looks sweet but on the inside is tough and even kind of ruthless. She wants to control Sean's brand and she doesn't want Juliette ruining it. Anyway, I think it works because both the mom and Juliette are doing the all sweetness and smiles thing but underneath are tough as nails. For a girl like Juliette with mommy troubles, she's just another scary type of mom.

Well, you know Juliette is devoid of real friends and uses sex to get what she wants or fill that void. She is looking for a man to complete her but what she really needs is a friend/older sister/surrogate mom. I wonder if Rayna will be dragged reluctantly into that role.

Also, there's no actual indication that they weren't truly good enough and that they were holding Avery back. I know fame is exceptionally prized, but Avery doesn't have a guarantee of that and he just cut himself off from people who did care about him. Music isn't quarterly reports and his actions stand in direct contrast to Rayna's who apparently didn't pitch her label when she started to make it big, she stuck with her label allowing the label to make it big also.

Still, it is a business, and as much as someone like Avery wants to make it big, there are people whose job and mission it is to make money off him. It seems like in his very nature he is quite susceptible. I see the overarching theme of his story as what is Avery willing to do to get what he wants, and what will he really have when he's done making it.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 10:49 AM

I see the overarching theme of his story as what is Avery willing to do to get what he wants, and what will he really have when he's done making it.

I agree and even though I don't particularly like Avery, I think it's one of the better stories in the show. Avery doesn't seem to know that he's at the "would you really sacrifice absolutely everything you think you care about to get what you want and if you do, what does it end up being worth?" point. Yet he is sacrificing everything. He lost Scarlett because he went with the baffling manager who insists that her clients bone her as some kind of control method and he went to her house knowing that, even if he did back out (only to do it anyway when Scarlett wouldn't split hairs about it mattering that he left in the first place).

Then here it doesn't seem like Avery genuinely doesn't care about his bandmates, he just cares less about them. Unlike Juliette Avery had everything. He had real love, he had real friends, they just weren't enough.

Anyway, I think it works because both the mom and Juliette are doing the all sweetness and smiles thing but underneath are tough as nails. For a girl like Juliette with mommy troubles, she's just another scary type of mom.

I absolutely think it works within the story. I was just replying to a question about why her behavior would be a problem and she wouldn't necessarily be considered a good mom. The lady is a shark and if it had just hurt her, she'd have gotten what she deserved, unfortunately it also ends up hurting her son. Juliette and Sean likely would have parted ways since they aren't truly compatible, but Sean's mom had to turn it into a contest and a "who will win?" situation. By doing that, she not only guaranteed she'd lose, she brought that down on her son too.

I really don't agree with the "no sex before marriage" thing, but I do think it is about individual choice and it is a person's right to make that choice. So this guy who seemingly held on to his virginity through a fair amount (because college would be challenging to that, for starters) presumably because it actually mattered to him enough to try, just ended up caving to a girl who didn't really want him and as much as she wanted to win a stupid contest with a mother who called her a loser.

I think it's good that Juliette bailed, because she's getting out before she makes the situation that much worse and she did at least spare him an insincere marriage in a church, but damn, it was still a cold thing to do. I hope it turns out that Sean wasn't really a virgin, or that he basically knew it couldn't work out, but just wanted to have some sex. Otherwise, it's a pretty heinous thing to do to someone. "Oh, you won't have sex until marriage? Uh...let's get married, I love you! It'll totally work!" he shares responsibility for being that naive and I really hope it turns out that he just also wanted to go ahead and get it on, and let himself believe without really believing.

Edited by stillshimpy, Jan 13, 2013 @ 10:52 AM.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 11:24 AM

How about Julliett sleeps with Teddy. Then she would be hated.

It would be the second interesting thing Teddy has done and it wouldn't have any impact on my thoughts on Juliette. They've already established she is a damaged person and she uses sex. I don't see a whole lotta love between Teddy and Rayna, so I wouldn't care on that front either. I would only care if it hurt the girls, but that is Teddy's job to protect them - not Juliette's.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 1:03 PM

I think it's good that Juliette bailed, because she's getting out before she makes the situation that much worse and she did at least spare him an insincere marriage in a church

As opposed to an insincere marriage in general? Unless Juliette is shown to be a closet-Christian, it doesn't look like she cares where the marriage takes place. I figured she bailed because it would give too much power to the MIL and/or she's thinking that the whole marriage idea was a mistake (as I'm sure she didn't prepare a pre-nup before the elopement - she just wanted to have control/get laid).

I wouldn't think the music business is like some other business. Even if you and your four friends get hired at the same place doesn't necessarily mean all are treated the same for raises/promotions, etc. But a band is a group, where each one contributes. For example, I don't recall there being any discussion over who owns the rights to the song that Scarlett sang with the band, or even who wrote it.

It sounds to me like Domino wanted only Avery because he looks decent, sounds decent and Domino can "tweak" his songs electronically to make them "dirty." They could do that with just about anyone who looks/sounds decent. I bet soon Domino will be presenting Avery with songs to sing and rejecting most of what Avery wants to do.

I wonder whether poor Maddie had extra blood drawn as a baby for all those secret paternity tests. But no wonder Teddy was always itchy around Deacon. Teddy may always be wondering if Deacon (assuming it is, because c'mon, who else considering) knows and will do something about it.

Absurda

Absurda

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 1:34 PM

"Oh, you won't have sex until marriage? Uh...let's get married, I love you! It'll totally work!" he shares responsibility for being that naive and I really hope it turns out that he just also wanted to go ahead and get it on, and let himself believe without really believing.

My take on Sean is that he has a "knight in shining armor" complex. He doesn't really love Juliette (not that he necessarily does not love her), he just wants to save this poor, damaged person and thinks he can just by being super awesome. So, while I feel bad for him being hurt, I can't see him as entirely an innocent victim in this marriage disaster.

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 3:57 PM

I do see Sean as a victim in all of this. Juliette is a manipulator who only proposed to Sean to stick it to his Mother. I don't think she cared about him at all, but I do think that Sean loved her.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 8:13 PM

As opposed to an insincere marriage in general? Unless Juliette is shown to be a closet-Christian, it doesn't look like she cares where the marriage takes place.

Yes, as opposed to an insincere marriage in general. Juliette clearly isn't a believer, but I've been giving Sean the benefit of the doubt in thinking that he's likely sincere in his faith. I'm not a person of faith actually, but I do think it would have been worse for Sean in the long run to think that Juliette had stood in a church and said vows she didn't mean.

I don't view Sean as a victim in all of this, he made his choices right along with her and he bears responsibility for them, but I think he at least believed (or let himself believe) that he was really getting married and that this was it, etc. and presumably it is important to him to do the whole church wedding deal on a level that isn't just about "And we get a ton of gifts!" but has something to do with "in the eyes of God" and all that.

So I'm glad Juliette didn't do that. I mean, it would be nice if when Sean actually meets someone that is likely to work out for the long run, he'll still have that.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 7:08 PM

The only thing I took exception to was her referring to her son's "brand". It came across as materialistic, not maternal. I can't remember the exact phrasing, but it was like the parents had created this investment and cashcow that was Sean.

She said something along the lines of their family had put a lot of effort into creating Sean's brand and she wasn't going to let Juliette mess it up, which is a pretty classic position for a stage mother to take. Once Sean gets out from under her control, she has no claim to anything that's his.

I, for one, was glad that Juliette bailed on the wedding and went to the plane instead. At least she has that much respect for Sean and his beliefs and she knows that it would be wrong to go through with a church wedding to start a marriage that is pretty much doomed.