The Haunting Of…: Small Medium At Large

• Please log in to reply

43 replies to this topic

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 8:16 PM

I finding this show kind of interesting. They sure do visit some creepy places and the stories are good. I don't believe in mediums/psychics. Kim seems to be able to make some good guesses and pretty much everything can be researched. Especially if you are taking someone into a museum or an old asylum.

I kind of enjoyed hearing about Connie Stevens living with Sonja Henie and how she ended up owning the place.

I can't remember anything about Regis Philbin's story, but it was pretty funny how he tried to explain it to David Letterman recently.

I like the show, but I'm sure some of these people are more haunted by not knowing where their next paycheck is coming from rather than having any real supernatural experiences.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jan 8, 2013 @ 1:43 AM.

chickieloveknit

chickieloveknit

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 12:45 PM

I could barely pay attention to what was going on in the show because I was so distracted by how anorexic Fairuza Balk is. The only thing haunting the space was her skeleton self. Geesh.

KittyMarthaPoo

KittyMarthaPoo

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 9:08 AM

This medium reminds me a lot of Theresa Caputo. Fake nails, bleached blonde hair, grating Noo Yawk accent.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 3:51 PM

I could barely pay attention to what was going on in the show because I was so distracted by how anorexic Fairuza Balk is. The only thing haunting the space was her skeleton self. Geesh.

I have to agree. She is way too thin.

This was the most staged episode they have shown. I also didn't get the part where Fairuza didn't want to be on camera. If we aren't going to get the whole story, it's not really worth watching.

Her hooker booted friend arrived promptly - camera ready - in short shorts. The look she shot Fairuza while they were on the 4th floor was more like "The woman is way out there nuts.. are you really buying this crap"? But it did get her on TV. Was she an artist? I noticed most of whatever she had up there was turned toward the wall.

Edited by PhPhan, Jan 10, 2013 @ 8:56 PM.

msbeesknees

msbeesknees

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2013 @ 9:54 PM

How does it make any sense to have this Russo "psychic" revisit locations with celebs so that she can "see" in "spirit" all of the crap that the celeb already yammered on about on CGS?? It's like the producers were all, "Here's the show Rapaport was on last year, so yeah, you don't even need to make shit up just build on what he's already told the world." Zero credibility. Zero.

Recollected

Recollected

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 17, 2013 @ 10:34 PM

How does it make any sense to have this Russo "psychic" revisit locations with celebs so that she can "see" in "spirit" all of the crap that the celeb already yammered on about on CGS?? It's like the producers were all, "Here's the show Rapaport was on last year, so yeah, you don't even need to make shit up just build on what he's already told the world." Zero credibility. Zero.

I was thinking the same thing. The first half of the damn episode is a replay of his CGS segment.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2013 @ 2:44 PM

I like this show. I moved, got new cable, new channels and lost track of it.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2013 @ 5:59 PM

I do like this show enough to watch it but, the last episode with Michael Rappaport was hella-boring.

The episode prior to that was how the episodes should be, in my opinion: Give new information, have a fully willing participant (the story teller), fill in the back story more.

The Rappaport episode, he seemed to be very reluctant to be there and made me wonder how he was coerced: paycheck? Career? Agent? For his friend's sake? And there was a strange disconnect between the two 'friends' - one guy just walked away from the other at episode end, without any seeming interest.

Also it is interesting how often what the psychic says is all contained in a past newspaper article.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2013 @ 6:23 PM

The thing that stood out to me during the Elisabeth Rohm episode was the part where the "psychic" told her that the ghost told her dog to off itself.  That was just weird and ridiculous.  

Oddly enough, I kind of liked this last episode.  It was totally Scooby Do.  It had the scary basement.  A pile of desks getting knocked over and the people in the room not being able to get the door open.  When the janitor opened the door for them, they could have done the legs running on the air visual before they took off.  I find it difficult to believe that, for detention, these two boys had to go down to the basement to clean it.  No direction or supervision.  There wasn't really anything to clean because it came across as a place just to pile up old desks.

Yes ScrubMonkey, I also noticed that things the psychic says can be found in a newspaper clipping.  I'm pretty sure most of what she comes up with can be found on the internet.  

There was an earlier episode where she asked some actor about his treehouse.  I got the impression that she figured a family living out in the country would have treehouse.  I think she was taken back a little when he said there was one, but it was back at his family home rather than his vacation home.  The expression on her face was kind of like she dodged a bullet.    

msbeesknees

msbeesknees

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2013 @ 9:09 PM

The thing that stood out to me during the Elisabeth Rohm episode was the part where the "psychic" told her that the ghost told her dog to off itself.  That was just weird and ridiculous.  

Haha! Whaaa? I must have missed this. Maybe I'll go back and actually watch these.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2013 @ 11:53 PM

Yeah, Ms. Russo told Ms. Rohm that the ghost told the dog, "Let's go. We are not needed here any more," when Ms. Rohm was about to have a baby. (So the dog's soul got up and walked off with the ghost, it was implied.)

Whether that could possibly be true, or happen, or not, I found that incredibly cruel to say to a pet owner or animal lover.

Also I wondered why the dog would ever walk off with that ghost it would never even go near during its doggy life.

they could have done the legs running on the air visual before they took off.

I would have loved if the show had added that little tinkling xylophone sound along with that. These shows couldn't be hurt by a touch of humor. You're right that episode was Scooby Doo. Rappaport was definitely Shaggy.

I don't know what type of school would send kids on detention to just wander around the school? Maybe they snuck off on their own? It was a bit too Breakfast Club for me.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2013 @ 5:02 PM

This story sounds rehashed from another spooky-themed show whose name escapes me, but the story is too familiar with the kids' punishment being cleaning a basement room full of desks.

Whaaa? I must have missed this. Maybe I'll go back and actually watch these.

I'm with you on that, Bees, but where do we go to watch them (free)?

UrbanBushman

UrbanBushman

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 2:46 PM

The Rappaport episode, he seemed to be very reluctant to be there and made me wonder how he was coerced: paycheck? Career? Agent? For his friend's sake? And there was a strange disconnect between the two 'friends' - one guy just walked away from the other at episode end, without any seeming interest.

From what I remember when looking for episodes of the show online, the description of the show was listed as being a part of the series last season but it didn't air until this one. I feel like it may have been a pilot episode or done very early on but held back due to the school shootings or some other production reason.

Their relationship on screen did seem a little off. I took it as either A. They ran through their introduction a few times and had probably been talking even before the camera rolled or B. They probably remained friends after school so for them it was probably a little weird to act like they hadn't seen or spoken to each other since the incident but had to for the "audience."  As for his friend walking away quickly at the end, I'm sure they already said their goodbyes off camera or more likely weren't really saying "Goodbye! Never talking to you again!" More like a "see you later."

The show is entertaining if only because I enjoy seeing some of the celebrities but the psychic literally rehashes what she could have easily seen on the show. She tweeted she was doing an episode last night so I'm sure whatever celeb she is working with currently has already had that episode air.  

The one thing I will add is that occasionally the celeb freaks out in a way that makes me think she did in fact hit on something because some of these people aren't good enough actors to pull off their reactions.  For instance, Elizabeth Rohm's uncle she didn't know much about, Connie's maid and finally last night Fairuza's reaction to Renee saying that the spirit was telling her, "I come from the time of <BLEEP>."  Whoever or whatever she said was apparently something that wasn't public knowledge and immediately freaked Fairuza out.  

As an addendum:  Fairuza tweeted a thanks to Kim last night and told her she has since "completely" moved out of the space.  

Edited by UrbanBushman, Jun 23, 2013 @ 2:51 PM.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 1:11 AM

The genuine reactions, few as they sometimes are, are worth tuning in for.

Was the Fairuza episode a new one? At the end of Celebrity Ghost Stories it said "all new...The Haunting Of," and it said the same thing when TiVo caught the first few minutes of this episode. But I could have sworn, I saw it last season? Didn't they already revisit that studio with Fairuza? I set it not to tape because I had seen an episode like that and been bored by it.

msbeesknees

msbeesknees

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 1:16 AM

Yep ScrubMonkey, it was a new A haunting of ... I DVR'd it and will comment after I've checked it out too.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 2:06 AM

What the heck then...? Did they air it accidentally last year, or did I dream it...? Weird! 

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 8:30 AM

I recall that too, Scrubmonkey.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 10:22 AM

I saw that one a while ago  It was one of their most fakey, set up episodes.  I commented on some parts of it up-thread.  My posts says it was January.  Unless it was a new episode and they were doing an update.  I didn't bother watching  because I thought it was a repeat.    

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 12:26 PM

Thank you all. Thought I was losing it for a moment - really strange they would plop it in the middle of a new season and label it as "all new" when it aired months ago!

msbeesknees

msbeesknees

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 1:11 PM

That *is* weird! Was it any good? Now that you've mentioned that True Blood is back on, I'll have to re-prioritize my shows lol!!!

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 10:59 PM

Well, going from memory, the Balk episode was very very boring. I love Fairuza Balk as an actress, this isn't her fault. 

I basically remember them wandering around an art studio, a mirror falling, and the psychic talking about a playful spirit and a mean spirit. 

Just wasn't much to it.

msbeesknees

msbeesknees

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 9:23 PM

Watching A Haunting of Rowdy Roddy Piper as I type this (I'm in California), who by the way, I adore! His story on CGS chilled me to the bone. He was an extremely effective story teller and I love how he persevered in life after such a rough childhood. 

Edited by msbeesknees, Jul 13, 2013 @ 9:24 PM.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 10:11 PM

I've only seen part of it - but I had to gripe about the psychic ignoring Piper's wish not to hear from his father. 

"Do you want to hear a message from your father?"

"No."

(pause) "He sees the man you have become. You just polished your bagpipes...your father told me."

I mean...? 

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 11:02 PM

This was weird to me.  I just saw Roddy Piper on Celebrity Wife Swap.  He didn't seem like a man who didn't want to wake up.  He has everything going for him.  Nice, hard working wife.  Nice children.  He coaches one of them in wrestling.  He seems like a very nice man.  

I have no idea why they were walking around the house in the dark.  

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 1:26 PM

I didn't understand that either. That doesn't usually happen on this show. Were they hoping to film one of the supposed 'shadow people?' Did someone have sensitive eyes? But then I don't recall the lights being dimmed during Piper's other recent reality Tv appearance.

I've now watched the entire episode, and when Piper said that when he goes and lies down in that basement room he is "hoping to close (his) eyes and never wake up again," I just sighed - my heart sank. Even before that moment, I kept thinking, "this is a man who is suffering." 

Piper has a really good wife and family, and friends who love him; but those weights from his past must be heavy indeed. And how painful to have outlived so many of his close friends at such a young age. I hear that is hard to deal with even in advanced age, let alone late adulthood to early middle age. 

Does he have survivor's guilt, I wonder? How did his siblings (if any) fare against their father's wrath? Could be some survivor's guilt there too perhaps. What a heavy heavy burden this gentle soul has laid upon himself.

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 3:22 AM

Weren't they in the dark in Esposito ep as well? 

The Piper ep was so freaking sad. I hope Roddy gets some help for his depression. The bagpipe and the picture that he left in Newfoundland -- it's those moments that make me believe she's legit.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes, Jul 15, 2013 @ 3:24 AM.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 4:18 PM

Although...his bagpipes are a very famous part of his persona. I don't watch wrestling at all, but even I've seen photos of him with his kilt and bagpipes. And they're gonna need polishing once in a while.

And leaving something at the grave of a dear friend...not very unusual either, really. I think she said "something" and not "photo" - it seems at times she's being vague then the person fills in the rest. And then she says "yes." 

But sometimes when she pulls a name from thin air, or she's relaying something that isn't vague, that they supposedly said then I suspend disbelief.

msbeesknees

msbeesknees

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 12:05 AM

I rolled my eyes until they fell out of my head when she mentioned the bagpipes. DUH Russo, he's Roddy the Piper. OMG, I wanted to kick her face in. Trust me when I say this, she has a shit ton of assistants that scour her subjects online, etc. before she heads to her "meeting"... she is a con. Pure and simple. She cold reads and is so insanely vague, I just see through it. And to watch her talk so bitchy to her "clients" with her "Yeah I'm a medium, I see dead people" attitude seems deeply insensitive to me. 

Oh and about them being in the dark. They were actually in the family room/basement and the lighting was quite low. Was it not brighter upstairs when Russo met Roddy's wife? Maybe not. Meh. 

Also if you are interested watch how this Irish hottie Kieth Barry exposes what psychics do here and here.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 4:11 AM

The jury is out for me with Miss Russo and her gifts, though I do believe such gifts are possible; worm holes are possible. Dark matter is possible. Many things must be possible. I've had some experiences I can't explain. I've picked up on some things that I didn't know how the heck I knew it.

So many things can't be understood. What do so called 'psychics' really do? Whether it's a confluence of extreme perception, or literally seeing and hearing things others cannot, I can't decide. I don't know, actually. I just leave the question mark there.

Some are definitely fake and cold reading is definitely a skill. But do they all fake it and cold read? I hope not.

I do think her personality is often brusque. She seems to forget at times the person might be afraid, or upset, and not want to answer this, or go there, or do that. Show or not, there should be some ethical liability. 

I get the feeling Jay whatever his last name is, next episode, won't put up with much. He seems like the type to say what is on his mind.

Edited by ScrubMonkey, Jul 18, 2013 @ 4:14 AM.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2013 @ 4:50 PM

Watching the haunting of Barry Bostwick now. I like him and loved him on, "Spin City."  That Russo medium chick, I don't recall seeing her or if I have I can't remember her, but she seems fishy to me. I don't even know why I feel she's fishy and cannot put my finger on it. Maybe her gifts are real, but empathy or sensitivity or something is really lacking in her or maybe it's her delivery. IDK.

I may be biased because I like Bostwick, but he came across to me as sort of sincere (as opposed to famewhore-esque.) He really knew a lot about the history of the property.

This brings me to a question. Bostwick says that he saw an apparition of a small boy who looked translucent. Why are some of the entities translucent and some look solid? For example, some folks have said that they have danced with people who they later realized had been dead for years etc. So they must sense some sort of solid-feeling body enough to dance with it, you know what I mean? That's probably not the best example, but you get the idea I'm trying to describe.

I hope I don't sound as if I'm pooing on mediums because I do think people have gifts, but how do we know that Russo didn't simply research the property to know that the one woman killed herself by carbon monoxide in what used to be a garage there? And clearly that other drowning suicide was in the newspapers which can be dug up and read from archives etc.

This show is not bad when I need something interesting to pass a few minutes, but it's lacking in some ways that  makes me miss that show "Ghostly Encounters" which was really woo hoo scary by comparison.

These shows are supposed to have me on the edge of my seat. With Bostwick and Russo wandering all about doing not much, I felt like I needed a nap.

Edited by ari333, Jul 27, 2013 @ 4:32 PM.