Downton Abbey In the Media

• Please log in to reply

96 replies to this topic

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 2:06 PM

This is the thread for all things involving Downton Abbey and the media, such as the cast's recent appearance on an episode of Anderson Cooper's daytime talk show. It featured not only questions from Cooper himself, it also included a game show segment featuring two of the show's superfans who answered show trivia questions and played for hats as prizes. The winner won an "Upstairs" hat while the loser got a "Downstairs" one. The show is also the Cover Story of both this week's TV Guide and Parade magazines.

whyistherumgone

whyistherumgone

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 7:24 PM

Rob James-Collier (Thomas) has been giving a bunch of interviews with US news/media outlets.

He did a Q&A with the Boston Globe: Rob James-Collier gets to the heart of Downton's scoundrel

He's also on the cover of Out Magazine, and you can read the full interview here: Rob James-Collier: Oh, You Handsome Devil!

Those are just two of many more. A quick Google news search shows dozens.

I love the character of Thomas, anyway, but RJC's portrayal is what really makes it connect, for me. Who knows what the future holds, but I truly feel that with his combination of looks, personality, and talent, RJC can be a break-out star if he strikes while the iron is hot. He's going on auditions while in the states, so we'll see.

Edited by whyistherumgone, Jan 6, 2013 @ 7:25 PM.

Lived In Inch

Lived In Inch

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 11:08 AM

The LA Times recap rivals the UK's RadioTimes' in its snark. Trying to find unspoilered media link might be difficult but this one is a safe bet.

jcoop13

jcoop13

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 6:22 PM

As if the show isn't cruel enough to Edith already:

Edith with Googly Eyes

sopreppypink

sopreppypink

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 6:18 PM

The cast was on Katie today. I can't get over how attractive RJC is when he's out of character. Similar set up to the Anderson episode, with a trivia show.

cwaldo

cwaldo

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 6:45 PM

Fresh Air had about a 40 minute interview with Julian Fellowes about Downton Abbey and some of his other works. I thought it was pretty insightful as most Fresh Air interviews are.

eleben

eleben

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 12:13 AM

Spoofs abound for the show (including the early and very well-done BBC Comic Relief Uptown Downstairs Abbey), but one of the funniest and silliest I've seen lately is Downton Arby's. If you haven't seen it, it's definitely worth a look! I've read that it's one of Julian Fellowes' favorites. (Love the Thomas and O'Brien characters scheming in the drive-through!)

Edited by eleben, Jan 11, 2013 @ 12:32 AM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 12:15 PM

There isn't a scheduling thread, so I guess it's most appropriate to post here. I hate that the second episode is up against the Golden Globes. I really wish there was a way to watch the episode this afternoon instead.

cwaldo

cwaldo

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 1:13 PM

If you have Comcast On Demand, it may be available already.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 11:35 PM

This is...media-esque, I think. Hope someone will guide me to the right place if not -

Went shopping for the "unedited" DVDs, and found this.
Problem: though it claims to be the "U.K. Unedited Version" -- for U.S. dvd players -- of Seasons 1, 2, and the Christmas Special, there are some buyer complaints that it's not.
Anyone know about this set, or have advice on which one IS the "unedited" version for Stateside machines?

lindseysaunt

lindseysaunt

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 10:37 AM

Joanne Froggatt (Anna) was in the New York Times Style section yesterday talking about her beauty routine, clothes etc. No, I don't think she uses a little curling iron on herself, LOL.

Anyway. The online version is actually a bit longer than what was in the paper yesterday, and it has a color photo instead of black and white.

Lived In Inch

Lived In Inch

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 3:12 PM

I stumbled upon a filmed radio style discussion of Downton Abbey, AfterBuzzTV.

Driad

Driad

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 7:02 PM

Heard a radio interview with the author of To Marry an English Lord. From the description: "From the Gilded Age until 1914, more than 100 American heiresses invaded Britannia and swapped dollars for titles--just like Cora Crawley, Countess of Grantham, the first of the Downton Abbey characters Julian Fellowes was inspired to create after reading To Marry An English Lord. "

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 3:27 PM

Downton Abbey's Mrs. Patmore dishes on life in that TV kitchen

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 3:39 AM

Sesame Street Downton Abbey Parody

Upside Downton Abbey turns right side up, in this Sesame Street spoof of "Downton Abbey."

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 1:13 PM

Dang, when I was a kid, all they did on Sesame was count to 20. Kids today don't know how good they have it.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 8:23 PM

In the same vein as the brilliant Game of Thrones SNES videos:

http://www.buzzfeed....-super-nintendo

TVLady

TVLady

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 3, 2013 @ 9:54 AM

And here are some real, printable Downton Abbey paper dolls that are too funny.

http://www.vulture.c...mid=nymag_press

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 3:48 PM

Another spoof...

Late Night with Jimmy Fallon: Downton Sixbey 3

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 6:33 PM

Nora's facial expressions are perfect. "It is your fault!"

COESpiral

COESpiral

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 9:16 PM

I swear, Brooke Shields has Elizabeth McGovern's facial expressions and speech down pat. Excellent job on her part!

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 9:37 PM

It makes me irrationally happy that he proposed to Hedith, presumably because she rocks on the drums. At least in the parody, Edith gets the man.

TVLady

TVLady

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 3:12 AM

From BBC Comic Relief Night, here is a particularly funny parody starring Kim Cattrall, no less, in Elizabeth McGovern's role, in Uptown Downstairs Abbey.
Part I and Part II

Another spoof...
Late Night with Jimmy Fallon: Downton Sixbey 3

I love the little doggie during the "opening"... Adorable!

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 6:39 PM

Rob James Collier about his character "the Edwardian Sex pest".

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 8:23 PM

Billy Connolly: 'Downton Abbey role would be a laugh'.

I'd love to work with [Maggie Smith] again, I'm not sure how I'd fit into the Downton world, it's maybe not quite right but it would be a laugh I guess.

Not sure how he'd fit, either. But I am pretty sure it would be a hoot.

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 4:39 PM

Maggie Smith is being interviewed this evening on 60 Minutes.

curiousguy22

curiousguy22

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 8:02 PM

60 Minutes just did a segment w/Maggie Smith. You can watch the interview online, plus there is an aftershow scene deconstruct w/Maggie and Julian Fellowes, as well.

http://www.cbsnews.c...h/?id=50141231n

http://www.cbsnews.c...inutesovertime/

Edited by curiousguy22, Feb 17, 2013 @ 8:03 PM.

inny

inny

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 10:55 PM

Billy Connolly: 'Downton Abbey role would be a laugh'.

Not sure how he'd fit, either. But I am pretty sure it would be a hoot.

I'd make the obvious Mrs. Brown joke, but we're better than that around here:) I've been a fan of his for ages, but if he's not cast in either Game of Thrones or Downton Abbey, I'll be crushed.

If they're going to insist on Rose, then maybe he'll be her chauffeur? (OK, maybe we're not better than that here...)

Dust Bunny

Dust Bunny

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 12:45 AM

This was posted immediately after the Christmas special aired in the UK. I think it really gets to the heart of why Dan Stevens left. More power to him. I think he read the tea leaves accurately - ahead of the rest of the cast. (And I'd be willing to bet that Cumberbatch's comments resonated with him a bit too.)

Why Dan Stevens Left Downton

Edited by Dust Bunny, Feb 18, 2013 @ 12:49 AM.

Pallas429

Pallas429

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 12:00 PM

Great article, Dust Bunny: thank you. And I love the picture, how beleaguered he looks! Like a doctor at a press conference announcing the death of a beloved public figure.

For once, someone who truly will "pursue other opportunities" and has the talent and scope to contribute far more.