The Cast In Other Roles: Beyond Their Stations

• Please log in to reply

122 replies to this topic

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 3:59 PM

Helena Bonham Carter is a popular choice to do a cameo on the show at some point. Maybe as Gregson's crazy wife.

may2

may2

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 6:05 AM

Maggie Smith is being profiled on this week's 60 Minutes.

Oskars Mom

Oskars Mom

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 10:47 AM

Countess Shrimpy was Lady Cordelia Flyte in Brideshead Revisited - with Jeremy Irons et. al. And Shrimpy played Debra Messing's father in The Wedding Date.

Edited by Oskars Mom, Feb 19, 2013 @ 9:15 PM.

IHateSpunk

IHateSpunk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 5:06 PM

Maggie Smith was a wonderful Desdemona to Laurence Olivier's Othello.

Phyllis Logan was Lady Jane to Ian McShane's Lovejoy.

Luciaphile

Luciaphile

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 4:11 PM

Phyllis Logan kicked ass in Secrets & Lies. Almost unrecognizable from her role on DA.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 6:01 PM

I didn't know Phyllis Logan was in Secrets & Lies! I loved that movie but haven't seen it in years. I'll have to rewatch so I can see her.

the sour bee

the sour bee

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 10:57 AM

Vera Bates was also Dexter's nanny in season 5

I forgot to mention if it hasn't been mentioned already that Livinia plays Trinity in Sons of Anarchy. I watched both simultaneously and never noticed it was the same person.

YumYum

YumYum

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2013 @ 10:46 AM

I was channel surfing last night and stumbled on "Back to Secret Garden", a film made in 2000. It was set at Highclere Castle! The outside shots anyway and looking exactly the same as Downton Abbey. So the owners were renting it out quite some time ago. I know, a castle isn't exactly a cast member...but sort of.

EmeraldEyes508

EmeraldEyes508

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 1:12 PM

Theo James (Kemal Pamuk) has the lead role in Golden Boy on CBS.

RCTina

RCTina

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 3:23 PM

It was also used in Jeeves and Wooster.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 9:45 PM

THATS where I know him from. I knew he looked familiar! (not my cuppa tea, though).

lilac2000

lilac2000

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2013 @ 10:15 PM

Mrs Patmore was on Once Upon a Time tonight. She was playing a servant of Snow's mother.

quentin312002

quentin312002

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2013 @ 11:26 PM

It always drove me nuts when I saw the commercial with him. I could not for the life of me place him. And his name at birth was Theo Taptiklis. I should have known they got a Greek to play a Turk. lol

myrenae

myrenae

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 6:09 PM

I watched part of Golden Boy the other night. It was okay, as was he. Not that impressed overall though.

Nedsdag

Nedsdag

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 11:13 AM

Speaking of Mrs. Patmore, she played the best friend of the wife in the movie East is East.

Is Penelope Wilton a prolific actress or what? I saw the miniseries Victoria & Albert on YouTube from 2000 where she played Queen Victoria's scheming mother. Also, I had to show an old version of Othello to my students for an English class featuring Anthony Hopkins in the lead role, and guess who played his wife, Desdemona? An extremely young Penelope Wilton.

myrenae

myrenae

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 4:39 PM

I saw a copy of a "Hogfather" book in a second-hand bookstore the other day. I knew MD was in it so I flipped through it. Man, does she look different!

PonzuSauce

PonzuSauce

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:38 PM

Penelope Wilton also plays a very nasty wife to Bill Nighy, who is FANTASTIC, as is she, in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

McBrien76

McBrien76

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 2:21 AM

DOWNTON Abbey’s Dan Stevens is about to star as Captain Flint in a film adaptation of classic children’s tale Swallows And Amazons.

The project is a joint production between Harbour Pictures and the BBC.

Filming will take place in the UK in the summer.

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 1:00 PM

Hugh Bonneville has a very, um, interesting role in the premiere episode of the Starz series DaVinci's Demons, in which he's nude, among other things.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 7:20 PM

Hugh Bonneville has a very, um, interesting role in the premiere episode of the Starz series DaVinci's Demons, in which he's nude, among other things.

NOooo... my eyes! lol...:)

myrenae

myrenae

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 8:57 PM

I saw a thing about this somewhere and I thought it was hilarious. He has a great sense of humor about himself and I like that.

Mindwalker

Mindwalker

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 2, 2013 @ 8:06 AM

"Wilkins" was the unforgettable, feisty Helen Stewart, wing governor with steel ovaries and a liking for a certain prisoner, in "Bad Girls". Sigh...

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2013 @ 10:00 AM

"Wilkins" was the unforgettable, feisty Helen Stewart, wing governor with steel ovaries and a liking for a certain prisoner, in "Bad Girls". Sigh...

. Who is "Wilkins" again? Drawing a blank, sorry.

Mindwalker

Mindwalker

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 2, 2013 @ 1:07 PM

Maybe I have the name wrong, but I meant Susan's maid (the one with the permanent bad mood who tried to get O'Brien drunk at the ball).

ETA: Finally, I remember the actress' name, it's Simone Lahbib. She also starred in "Wire In The Blood."

Edited by Mindwalker, Jun 2, 2013 @ 1:14 PM.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2013 @ 4:32 PM

Oh, okay- thanks!  

I didn't remember the characters name.  I thought she had a 'thing' for O'Brien at first, but then, no so much after the whole hairdo situation.  

Mindwalker

Mindwalker

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 3, 2013 @ 1:44 PM

Taking it to the episode thread.

EmeraldEyes508

EmeraldEyes508

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 26, 2013 @ 7:47 AM

Upcoming role for Sophie McShea:

http://www.deadline....eys-cinderella/

Lily James is cast as Cinderella.

Nedsdag

Nedsdag

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 4, 2013 @ 7:47 PM

I was watching Wimbledon on ESPN and they kept showing Rolex watch commercials. The voiceover man on the commercials was none other than Lord Grantham himself, Hugh Bonneville.

shugrat

shugrat

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 5:07 PM

I saw Brendan Coyle (Mister Bates) on stage in Mojo a few weeks ago. The entire cast was excellent, Ben Whishaw a standout, but Brendan makes a fantastic entrance. Like a shark on greased castors.

baronne

baronne

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2013 @ 11:58 AM

Has anyone seen Dan Stevens in The Heiress?

Yes. Not impressed. Disappointed, in fact. I found him bland and inert, not at all convincing. But he looked good and some of the critics liked his performance. 

I found him bland period and I guess as an actor he's not that great.  I've never seen him in anything else but critics panned "The Fifth Estate" movie he left Downton for.  I was sorry to see Sybil go but not him.  It's too bad they didn't keep Sir Richard - even creepy I liked him a lot better than Matthew Crawley.   They could have done so much with that storyline, too - Downton Abbey's answer to  William Randolph Hearst.  I also thought they could do more with Ethel the housemaid with a baby.

On a side note I'm re-watching season 3 and do the Laura Linney intros annoy anyone but me?  She's so smug and condescending and I don't even see a purpose for her being there.  She has no connection to the series or the story.  The only connection I see is a bit part in a British movie that came out years ago.  It's like PBS thinks we're not bright enough to follow what is basically a well-made British soap opera without having it explained to us.  She's certainly not in the UK version.

Oh - I assume people have seen this but since I don't see it here I'll put it up.  Published on Dec 11, 2013

Downton Abbey's Jim Carter plays santa clause in this somber message to the world from Green Peace.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=kSpIl_LjrmE

Edited by baronne, Dec 20, 2013 @ 11:59 AM.