The Cast In Other Roles: Beyond Their Stations

• Please log in to reply

122 replies to this topic

Historybabe

Historybabe

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 3:04 PM

Maggie Smith is currently in a film called "Quartet," which has oddly the same name as a Merchant-Ivory film she did in 1981, where she played Alan Bates's wife in 1920s Paris. Their characters are based on the writer Ford Madox Ford and his long-term lover Violet Hunt.

Andorra97

Andorra97

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 5:29 PM

Allen Leech is just totally cute as a gay guy in "Cowboys and Angels".

He also was great in the movie "Man about Dog"

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 2:38 AM

Jessica Brown-Findlay is filming Winters Tale with Colin Farrell, Russell Crowe and Will Smith. She is also up for the lead in the next Captain America film.

I love Ian Glenn as Ser Jorah Mormot In GoT. My hope is that Rose Leslie comes back to reprise her role as Gwen Dawson in DA.

I haven't seen any of the others except of course EM in various US films and HB in Notting Hill (which I didn't love all that much, although he was funny).

Allen Leech is great in Rome and The Tudors. He is very versatile.

IHateSpunk

IHateSpunk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 12:35 AM

Hugh Bonneville played the young John Bayley, Iris Murdoch's husband, in "Iris." (Jim Broadbent played Bayley as an older man.)

Jim Carter was very touching in the original "Singing Detective" (which I'd love to see again).

meepster

meepster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 1:50 PM

Michelle Dockery has a small part in Anna Karenina. She's good in costumes!

Atreju

Atreju

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 3:07 PM

Jim Carter also played charles James Fox in "The Madness of King George" - funny seeing him playing an anti-monarchist for once...

AZChristian

AZChristian

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 4:42 PM

I'll pretty much watch Maggie Smith in ANYTHING. Loved her as Professor McGonagle in my much-loved Harry Potter series, and enjoyed her more recently in "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel."

And, yes, Brendan Coyle ("Mr. Bates") was wonderful in "Lark Rise to Candleford."

not Bridget

not Bridget

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 6:11 AM

Maggie Smith is currently in a film called "Quartet," which has oddly the same name as a Merchant-Ivory film she did in 1981, where she played Alan Bates's wife in 1920s Paris. Their characters are based on the writer Ford Madox Ford and his long-term lover Violet Hunt.

The 1981 film is based on a Jean Rhys novel in which she tells her own fictionalized version of her affair with Ford. At that time, he was living with Stella Bowen--who inspired, in some ways, Valentine Wannop in the Parade's End tetralogy. Violet Hunt was his previous lover; 11 years his senior, she had a cruel streak that's seen in Sylvia Tietjens in those same books. (Ford could not divorce his wife, Ellie; she refused to divorce him, although she later regretted it.)

I haven't read Quartet but I saw the movie. "Ford" is shown as a dilettante art dealer rather than a busy writer, editor and patron of young talent; he changed Ella Williams, bedraggled homeless demimondaine with a manuscript in her suitcase into Jean Rhys, writer. Ford's lover was not an older, cynical wife, complaisant with his affairs. Bowen was younger than Rhys, a talented painter and mother of Ford's daughter. When she discovered the affair with Rhys she began "falling out of love" with Ford; Rhys went her merry way when her husband got out of jail, but further proof that Ford could never be faithful led Bowen to end the affair with Ford. They maintained contact for the sake of their daughter. The very different tone of Last Post, final volume in Parade's End, is partly because his greatest love was over. (Plot points from that book show up in the TV series--on HBO next month--but we mostly see the first three volumes; Tom Stoppard only had 5 hours to tell the story.)

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 7:38 AM

A young (29) Maggie Smith is one of the very best things as tycoon Rod Taylor's shy but super-competent secretary in 1963's The V.I.P.s. (Think Grand Hotel set in a socked-in Heathrow.) This Richard Burton-Elizabeth Taylor flick is actually a bit better than you think it's going to be. (Also features Orson Welles!)

Here's an excerpt from Bosley Crowther's NY Times review when it came out. Note that he felt the need to introduce Maggie Smith to his readers at that time:

Maggie Smith is also excellent. And who, you may ask, is Maggie Smith? Well, she's a British actess who plays the private secretary to a booming Australian tractor magnate, and he is one of the other passengers caught as a consequence of the fateful grounding in the airport's V.I.P. lounge.

She is fine in revealing the loyalty and adoration of a white-collar slave for an aggressively inconsiderate employer, whom Rod Taylor plays handily. And, in a crucial scene with Mr. Burton, she almost steals the show.

Edited by Milburn Stone, Jan 25, 2013 @ 7:47 AM.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 1:20 AM

This is more of "the author in other roles" but, I clicked on a link in the episode thread about how Julian Fellowes' wife can't inherit a title and oh my God, Julian Fellowes was Kilwillie! That's hilarious! It's like finding out that Mad Men is written by the 2 Broke Girls.

Edited by randomchance, Jan 28, 2013 @ 3:54 AM.

Luciaphile

Luciaphile

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 10:10 AM

I finally caught the Evil Under the Sun version that has Maggie Smith in it. Her role bears no resemblance to the characters in the book, but she's really funny in it.

Oldgeek

Oldgeek

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 1:37 PM

I saw Maggie Smith live in 'Private Lives' back in the day If you want a nice fairly recent film portrayal rent 'My House in Umbria'. It will also send you right to Italy.

exzim

exzim

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 11:31 AM

Saw Jessica Brown Findlay in the fantasy series about the Cathars and Carcassone, 'Labyrinth'. She did very well with a pitifully unbelievable weak story.

Luciaphile

Luciaphile

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 6:20 PM

Just saw Richard Bathurst (Sir Anthony Strallan) in a Poirot adaptation, After the Funeral.

Historybabe

Historybabe

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 7:33 PM

The 1981 film is based on a Jean Rhys novel in which she tells her own fictionalized version of her affair with Ford. At that time, he was living with Stella Bowen--who inspired, in some ways, Valentine Wannop in the Parade's End tetralogy. Violet Hunt was his previous lover;

Thanks for the correction, I wasn't sure that I had the right person that Maggie Smith's character was based on when I posted the info. I did know that Ford had a rather complicated personal life.

The Solution

The Solution

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 4:44 PM

Speaking of The Tudors, Vera Bates (Maria Doyle Kennedy) was the long-suffering Katherine of Aragon in The Tudors. She was also Natalie Murphy in The Commitments.

ClaireK

ClaireK

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 3:43 AM

Hugh Bonneville was almost unrecognizable as Mr. Rushworth (Maria Bertram's fiance) in the 1999 version of Mansfield Park.

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 11:59 PM

JBF has more or less wrapped filming Winters Tale and is doing a thriller, Driven, whose cast includes Damian Lewis.

Hugh Bonneville has about three films in pre-production.

Allen Leech was at Sundance for his role in In Fear.

IHateSpunk

IHateSpunk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 4, 2013 @ 2:14 AM

Hugh Bonneville played Henleigh Grandcourt (nasty aristocrat) in the BBC/Masterpiece Theatre "Daniel Deronda."

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2013 @ 9:56 AM

My first thought of Elizabeth McGovern is always "Ordinary People," a movie that still breaks my heart more than 30 years later.

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2013 @ 6:40 PM

I liked EM in Once Upon a Time in America. She was soooo pretty.

not Bridget

not Bridget

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 8:39 AM

JBF has more or less wrapped filming Winters Tale and is doing a thriller, Driven, whose cast includes Damian Lewis.

I must have just skimmed over this. Just saw a first glimpse at io9 of the Winter's Tale movie based on Mark Helprin's wonderful novel.

Had no idea this was in the works. It could be excellent.

Edited by not Bridget, Feb 6, 2013 @ 8:40 AM.

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 6:03 PM

It may or may not work on screen, but it's a great boost for Jessica to be in a film with these players. I know Crowe and Farrell are a bit past their prime as stars, but not too shabby. And even if it doesn't work, it is at least an ambitious film and not paint-by-numbers.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2013 @ 6:26 PM

I immediately associate Elizabeth McGovern with Ordinary People, too. I thought she did a great job as the beautiful teenaged love interest of Timothy Hutton's character...she was shy but very empathetic and understanding. Her reaction scene to Conrad telling her about his suicide attempt was a fine bit of acting.

I became aware of Dan Stevens from The Line of Beauty, as a beautiful young gay man. He looks really different with brown curly hair. He was also much skinnier.

Edited by MethodActor05, Feb 10, 2013 @ 6:28 PM.

Tiergan

Tiergan

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 7:59 PM

It took me a good full 60 seconds today to recognize Dan Stevens as Edward Ferrars in the 2008 "Sense and Sensibility." He was indeed a lot thinner then. Oddly too charismatic for that role, especially in comparison to how one-dimensional his Downton character is.

Edited by Tiergan, Feb 13, 2013 @ 8:52 PM.

angora

angora

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 8:16 PM

I just rewatched Sense and Sensibility. I agree that Dan Stevens was awfully charismatic to be playing Edward Ferrars, but I have extra-special love for the scene where he comes to see Elinor in London and realizes that Lucy Steele is there. The restrained-yet-terrified look on his face is hysterical, and for me, it's probably his most Edward-ish scene.

Nedsdag

Nedsdag

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 9:24 PM

This will show my age, but one of my earliest movie memories was my parents taking me to the drive-in to see The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, which was my very first exposure to Maggie Smith (she would go onto win an Oscar that year for Best Actress).

How about Dame Maggie co-starring with Peter Ustinov, Karl Malden, and, wait for it, Bob Newhart in the 1968 comedy Hot Millions.

I remember seeing Jim Carter in a very small role in The Witches with Anjelica Huston where he played a chef who went crazy in the restaurant kitchen when a mouse fell into his clothes.

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 10:48 PM

I haven't seen S & S with Dan Stevens, but I think he'd make a perfect Edward. Probably better than Hugh Grant, who seemed to be constrained by a too-serious role.

Andorra97

Andorra97

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 9:49 AM

I actually thought Dan Stevens was a bit of a Hugh Grant look alike in S&S. He was good though. So good at least that I started googling where I could watch more with him. That's how I ended up watching DA!

I rewatched "A room with a view" two days ago. I so loved this movie back then and still do. Maggie Smith as "poor Charlotte" was wonderful! As were Helena Bonham Carter, Daniel Day Lewis and of course Julian Sands. I still laugh about the "bathing scene", lol.

not Bridget

not Bridget

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 9:54 AM

Here's an oldie but a goodie. Maggie Smith & Jeremy Brett in The Way of The World at Stratford, 1976.

So beautiful--both of them....