The Cast In Other Roles: Beyond Their Stations

• Please log in to reply

122 replies to this topic

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 2:04 PM

Given a show of Downton Abbey's stature, it's no suprise, that its cast members have doen other things before it, such as Hugh Bonneville's stint in Doctor Who and Elizabeth McGovern, whose most famous role before this show was arguably her Oscar-nominated performance in the film version of Ragtime. Then there's Iain Glen, aka "Sir Richard Carlisle," who plays a Ser of a different kind and spelling-Ser Jorah Mormont, that is-on Game Of Thrones. Of course, there's Dame Maggie Smith, who, among her numerous other projects, gave Oscar-winning performances in The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie and California Suite.

Whether the roles are past, present or future, or their characters are "Upstairs," "Downstairs" or in between, discuss the Downton Abbey cast members' other acting jobs here.

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 3:20 PM

I recently saw Shirley MacLaine in Bernie as a rich, powerful, mean woman. I expect her to be rich and powerful in DA, but I'm not sure about the mean bit. I then read an article by one of the relatives of the real life character she played in Bernie -- he said it was uncanny how much she had captured all the nuances of his aunt without ever having met her. Hmmm, could there have been some channeling from the other side? Just now, I read that she says Downton Abbey is haunted. I believe in none of this but I do think her belief might just inform her acting. It's all good for me.

not Bridget

not Bridget

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 12:33 PM

The spirited Gwen left service in series 1 for an office job. Only to appear as the spirited Ygritte in Game of Thrones. Actress Rose Leslie has an interesting background...

Born in Aberdeen, she belongs to Clan Leslie and grew up in Lickleyhead Castle, the family's 15th century ancestral seat. Her father is the Aberdeenshire Chieftain of Clan Leslie, Sebastian Arbuthnot-Leslie....

Ah, Ser Richard! Who had to be written extra-creepy so Mary would not notice his hotness. Years ago, Iain Glenn played Hamlet in Rosenkrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead.

Cousin Isobel will always be Harriet Jones, Prime Minister! to me....

Edited by not Bridget, Jan 6, 2013 @ 12:33 PM.

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 1:59 PM

I was channel-surfing yesterday and I landed on HBO, which was showing the first Harry Potter film, and one of many great performances in it is Dame Maggie Smith's Mrs. McGonagle, who is one of my favorite characters in the whole series. The film is on HBO all month plus it's on HBO on Demand, I think.

Zen Moon Pi

Zen Moon Pi

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 2:04 PM

Kind of how I feel about Michelle Dockery. She's great as Mary, but she was such a perfect Susan in Hogfather that I'll always think of her as that character.

maraleia

maraleia

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 9:22 AM

Michelle Dockery was in the miniseries Restless with Charlotte Rampling, Michael Gambon, Rufus Sewell and Hayley Atwell. I really liked her character/performance and it was nice to see her dressed in at least 1970's period clothes. Of course Charlotte Rampling stole the show.

kassa

kassa

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 3:57 PM

If you like period pieces and Mr. Bates, the actor is amazing in Lark Rise to Candleford. Very sexy, in a loving husband and father role.

Mari111

Mari111

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 6:26 PM

Has anyone seen Dan Stevens in The Heiress?

Crs97

Crs97

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 7:44 PM

Mr. Bates also had an important role in the "North & South" miniseries.

IHateSpunk

IHateSpunk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 9:23 PM

Jim Carter is always wonderful (e.g., in "Cranford," with his real-life wife, Imelda Staunton), but I especially recommend him in "Brassed Off."

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 11:21 PM

Lesley Nicol On 'Once Upon A Time': 'Downton Abbey' Star Will Appear On ABC Series. Since I love our Mrs. Patmore and am a fan of OUAT I'm looking forward to this.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 4:58 PM

David Robb, who plays Dr. Clarkson, the world's worst doctor -- are we sure Cora was pregnant in S1 -- also played Germanicus, Claudius's brother, in I, Claudius from the 1970s BBC production.

eavj

eavj

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 5:30 PM

To me, she'll always be Lizzy's aunt in Pride and Prejudice (the 2005 version).

neonlite

neonlite

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 10:12 AM

Has anyone seen Dan Stevens in The Heiress?

Yes. Not impressed. Disappointed, in fact. I found him bland and inert, not at all convincing. But he looked good and some of the critics liked his performance.

Edited by neonlite, Jan 10, 2013 @ 10:13 AM.

kittykat

kittykat

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 11:14 PM

HBO is reairing Game of Thrones and I find myself wondering why evil Richard Carlisle is chasing after this harpy shrieking about dragons.

I love Jim Carter as the "nurse" in Shakespeare in Love. "First I was a Pirate King and now I'm a nurse."

IHateSpunk

IHateSpunk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 8:39 PM

Iain Glen played Margaret Thatcher's father--coincidentally, the mayor of Grantham--in "The Iron Lady."

Lutrick

Lutrick

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 2:01 AM

Robert Bathurst was good in Cold Feet and Pillars of the Earth and Emma

Joanne Froggett was in a good WW2 miniseries called Island at War.

Jim Carter was in Cranford and I really enjoyed his work in Shakespeare in Love.

I liked Elizabeth McGovern in the Scarlet Pimpernel.

I recently watched a series on Demand from BBC with Hugh Bonneville, Twenty Twelve. Is is a dry humor show about the Olympic committee in London. I also liked him in Notting Hill.

My favorite Maggie Smith role was in A Room with a View

Had a much longer post and deleted it, darn it.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 12:13 PM

Hugh Bonneville was excellent in 2012. He had to be jumping between playing that character and Lord Grantham at some point.

spankydoll

spankydoll

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 8:49 PM

Maggie Smith in "The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearn". One of the finest performances by any actor in anything.

zmulls

zmulls

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 12:40 PM

I recognized Jim Carter from way back in THE SINGING DETECTIVE -- the BBC miniseries, not the horrid Robert Downey, Jr. remake. One of the most extraordinary things I've ever seen on television. Jim Carter is in the flashback scenes (which take up a good half of the screen time), playing Michael Gambon's poor cuckolded and abandoned father.

RCTina

RCTina

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 3:19 PM

Allen Leech and Kevin Doyle were both in "The Tudors." Allen was Francis Dereham and Kevin played John Constable.

bodielovesbetty

bodielovesbetty

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 5:15 PM

The guy playing Tom Branson was Agrippa in Rome.

olivia1

olivia1

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 11:56 AM

I loved Hugh Bonneville in Notting Hill. He's pretty good with the romantic comedy, too. He played Bernie.

Edited by olivia1, Jan 16, 2013 @ 11:56 AM.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 12:05 PM

I loved Hugh Bonneville in Notting Hill. He's pretty good with the romantic comedy, too. He played Bernie.

OMG that was him? Funny, I saw above someone mentioned him in Notting Hill, a movie I've seen several times but figured it must've been a no-nothing character as I couldn't place him at all. I loved Bernie, so so clueless, but lovable Bernie!

He still playing clueless though in a far less 'lovable' fashion these days.

Edited by callietwo, Jan 16, 2013 @ 12:06 PM.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 12:34 PM

Allen Leech and Kevin Doyle were both in "The Tudors." Allen was Francis Dereham and Kevin played John Constable.

The guy playing Tom Branson was Agrippa in Rome.

Agrippa/Dereham/Branson keeps hitting on women above his station!

jlc1967

jlc1967

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 3:09 PM

I can't believe no one has mentioned Laura Carmichael (Edith) in "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" -- I picked her out right away and hissed at my friend in the theater, "It's EDITH! In MI6!"

Well, here's her IMDB page anyway: Headshot is very nice.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 5:46 AM

Just in case anyone else in the world is a fan of both Dinotopia and Downton Abbey -- Jim Carter (Mr. Carson) played Mayor Waldo in the 2002 TV miniseries.

Luciaphile

Luciaphile

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 10:04 AM

Stumbled onto a Christmas special of The Vicar of Dibley and saw a much thinner Hugh Bonneville playing a vicar who had a thing for the Dawn French character. So so funny.

Also rewatched one of my favorite goofy movies of all time: Murder by Death with Maggie Smith as Dora Charleston. Great fun.

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 10:47 AM

Maggie Smith was in two film versions of Agatha Christie novels: In the film version of Death On the Nile, she played the nurse to a wealthy and bitchy old woman played by Bette Davis and Evil Under the Sun, where she played an inkeeper/former rival to one of the guests, played by Diana Rigg. Their characters in the latter film did a hilarious rendition of "You're The Top" that was the highlight of the film. If anyone could upstage Emma Peel, it would be the Dowager Countess.

COESpiral

COESpiral

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 9:24 PM

If you REALLY want to see another side of Hugh Bonneville, check out the 2001 movie Blow Dry. Also stars Alan Rickman, Natasha Richardson, and Josh Hartnett.