The Following

• Please log in to reply

2302 replies to this topic

DesiJ

DesiJ

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:26 PM

I really liked this pilot. I'm with the Shawn Ashmore character though when it comes to killing animals - that was almost a deal breaker for me.

Liked how Natalie Zea's character just totally shut down law enforcement when they were trying to call the shots. Wouldn't talk to anyone except Kevin Bacon's character (I'll learn the names at some point), and then just totally slammed the door (figuratively speaking) in pain in the ass FBI agent's face when she tried to tell her she wasn't going to allow her to speak to Kevin Bacon alone. I damned near cheered.

Edited by DesiJ, Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:30 PM.

Amtosbm

Amtosbm

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:26 PM

I was intrigued but also underwhelmed. Based on the clips I saw this summer, I thought we were going to get more of a back story and action, but maybe that is coming later. Maybe I watch too much Criminal Minds and Walking Dead but I did'nt think the violence was a bad as was what was written about. Also not enough James for me.

I thought Kevin looked good too. I know the broken cop is a clique but based on law enforcement in my own family, sadly for a lot of them its not far from the truth. I just hope it does'nt take over the story.

I was surprised James got caught so early but I guess it really is going to focus on his 'followers' for the season. I kind of have a hard time with the idea he could recruit so many people from prison but then I remind myself its just fiction. I knew Maggie Grace was going to die but cutting out her eyes was really disgusting. And I must be slow because I never really suspected the fake gay couple or the nanny. I had already seen the lady with the writing kill herself this summer.

I'll watch again and sounds like its on Monday's at least here in Canada next week also.

Nell Huxleigh

Nell Huxleigh

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:32 PM

I laughed when the camera panned back to reveal "Nevermore.". Then I laughed again when Kevin Bacon said he was symbolizing the finality of death. This show is too stupid for words.

Danielg342

Danielg342

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:32 PM

I go back and forth on this one. There seemed to be too many characters just standing around doing nothing and spouting lines for no discernible reason except to fill airtime, plus the BAU guys seemed to be modelled a bit too much from Criminal Minds (the African-American actor seems to have only been picked just so they could have their own version of Derek Morgan- heck, he even wears the same shirt). I also found it strange that Kevin Bacon says Ryan Hardy wouldn't be a profiler yet acted a lot like one, with instincts and hunches. I also wished- though I knew better- that Sarah Fuller would survive, since Maggie Grace's performance was one of the few in the pilot I actually enjoyed.

Having said that, I really liked Bacon and James Purefoy in this, and if they make the show centred around those two- and leave the lifeless secondary characters in the periphery- it's got potential. They just need to deal with their crowded cast first.

gritslady

gritslady

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:33 PM

Just watched the 1st episode of this show. Have always loved Kevin Bacon so that is what made me want to try it. With out commenting on the content of the show for anyone that has not seen it, I will say that I am in for the long haul on this one.

It kept me glued to my seat, gave me goosebumps, and I was surprised when it was over it seemed like it just started. Even my hubs loved it.

gingercharm21

gingercharm21

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:33 PM

Calling it right now: Shawn Ashmore's character (guy who was upset about the dog) is going to end up like Joe, not like the rest of the followers, but like a psychotically devoted protege.

luvprue1

luvprue1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:34 PM

For anyone who has seen the pilot, is the female partner who seems to do the "I'm a hardass bitch, and I hate you Kevin Bacon" shtick annoying, or is she ok? Because I've seen that stereotype way too often lately, and I'm not sure I want to invest in a show where one of the main characters is that horrible and grates.

I hate her over the top character. I have a feeling that she will either be killed by one of Joe's followers,or be reveal as one of Joe's followers.

I wish they didn't kill Maggie Grace's character (re: Sarah) off so soon, but I knew it was going to happen as soon as she found out Joe escape. I mean, think about , you have a serial killer after you,and instead of leaving on the next plane out of town, you send your gay neighbors home and go to sleep?? Really, who can sleep when you have a serial killer after you?

I love all the Edgar Allen Poe references . Ryan has a pacemaker , so we kept hearing his heartbeat when he was after Joe, which reminded me of E.A Poe "The Tale tell heart". Love it. When he went to check on Sarah and saw the dead body in the chair with the word "NEVERMORE" written on the wall. That was a shout out to Poe's "The Raven".

The show have that horror movie feel, and I think that is do to the creator Kevin Williamson, who also wrote all the "Scream" movies. The scene with the dog coming back to life made me jump. I found this show to be entertaining and scary.

So Ryan had an affair with Joe's wife Claire. Joe and Claire has a son. Does anyone know how old the son is? Joe has been lock up for some years, so how old is the son? and does anyone think that the son might be Ryan's son, instead of Joe's.

I knew that the policeman was one of Joe's follower, since it would have been hard for the two neighbor to get Sarah out of the house without making some noise. The police was suppose to be watching her house, so they should have heard something. I love the scene at the end when the policeman charmed his way into that girl's house. I knew something like that was going to happen, since the girl was way too relax about having as serial killer lose in her neighborhood.

I was shock that the nanny/babysitter stole Claire's son. I didn't see that part coming , since Joe was asking to see his son.

So why did Joe Carroll say Sarah had to die? I miss that part,and Does anyone else think that Claire's son might be Ryan's?

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:39 PM

I tuned in for Kevin Bacon but I won't be coming back. I thought it was disgusting. Way, way too violent and bloody for me. They did this kind of story on Breakout Kings, except they did it better.

maggiethebeagle

maggiethebeagle

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:39 PM

I enjoyed it and I will be back next week. Did not get the gay couple being in on it until Kevin realized it too. ;) But by the time the son went missing I knew it was the babysitter that got him.
I wonder if the execution will still happen and his followers will go on or if there's some loophole and he ends up off death row?

cranberry

cranberry

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:45 PM

Cliche upon cliche. And I quit watching "The Mentalist" because of the stupid cult of Red John. I'm not about to follow Red John 2.0.

leela46

leela46

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:54 PM

So why did Joe Carroll say Sarah had to die? I miss that part,and Does anyone else think that Claire's son might be Ryan's?

Sarah had to die because she was unfinished business. Poe died with an unfinished manuscript and Joe didn't want to have the same thing.

They showed that Claire was pregnant before she met Ryan. So unless there is some kind of plot twist coming then Joe really is the kid's father.

I wonder if they'll still try and execute Joe. I guess they'll have to keep him alive because of his followers.

Sarah was stupid for not taking the first plane out of town.

Isisnin

Isisnin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:54 PM

Fast moving and suspenseful.

Couple holes in the plot for me was the wife not telling anyone that her serial-killer ex-hubby was going to go after Sara. She just kept it to herself while insisting on speaking only with Ryan. That was such a big hole to me that I was expecting a reveal that she was in on it with the ex.

Another hole was that the police/FBI didn't cross reference Joe's visitor list with people in Sara life, particularly with neighbors actually in her home.

But I'll keep watching. Great plot with the cult leader in jail while manipulating his followers on the outside.

Bacon is really owning this.

SueR

SueR

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 11:00 PM

Whoa! Really was on the edge of my seat. Agree with the poster above who said Kevin Bacon looks less guant than usual and the extra pounds really suit him. I'm someone who never sees things coming, so was shocked about the gay neighbors and totally shocked about the babysitter. I am a little afraid I'm going to have nightmares with this show but we'll see. I love that it said 14 new episodes 14 weeks in a row. Unusual.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 11:13 PM

Was anyone expecting to find Sarah placed inside the wall like Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart"? That's what I kept expecting.

Numb Nut

Numb Nut

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 11:21 PM

Well, that was fun. I loved the placement of the flashbacks. And I had to laugh when when Ashmore asked if Bacon was drinking water (and then offered him a mint). I could do without the Scream-type scares (they're so cheesy) but I'll keep watching for now.

natalie wood

natalie wood

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 11:22 PM

I don't regularly watch shows that are like this so there were several gotchas for me. I kinda jumped a few times. I definitely turned my head at certain times. I'll give it a chance. I guess I'm a wuss b/c I was scared and his unfinished story was pretty gruesome looking. I don't know if I'm ready to see what happens at the sorority house. Is the premise going to change every season? Surely, this can't be this story for more than one season. I know The Mentalist has a similar s/l but it's not part of the show every week and it is definitely not as gory.

Edited by natalie wood, Jan 21, 2013 @ 11:29 PM.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 11:23 PM

Couple holes in the plot for me was the wife not telling anyone that her serial-killer ex-hubby was going to go after Sara. She just kept it to herself while insisting on speaking only with Ryan. That was such a big hole to me that I was expecting a reveal that she was in on it with the ex.

Yes. "I won't speak with anyone until I speak with my lovah?" Ridiculous.

Another hole was that the police/FBI didn't cross reference Joe's visitor list with people in Sara life, particularly with neighbors actually in her home.

They did look at the list of people who visited Joe. There was a whole group of them waiting to be interviewed. The girl who stripped and killed herself was in with that group. (And man, did the police act super slow when she undressed. That can't be a common occurrence. They didn't react until she brought out the knife.)

I'm assuming the gay neighbors and nanny never visited Joe in prison but were instead people he contacted online. They wouldn't be connected to him since they hadn't unwoven his internet web yet.

I think I preferred the flashbacks and I was trying to figure out why. I realized it had to do with the Poe angle. There was an innocence to the flashbacks. If the FBI were in the dark, it was because they probably hadn't made the Poe connection and done all the Poe research. I didn't judge them that harshly. But in the present day, they just seemed dim in regards to the Poe angle. The whole "Nevermore" scene was just bad.

In fact, so much of the dialogue was clunky.

There were things I liked. I pretty much like Kevin Bacon in anything. Maggie Grace did a surprisingly effective job as the first victim for what a small role it was. I found myself liking her and not wanting her to die. I didn't find the wife as annoying as I find the concept of her which is good I guess. Purefoy was good too, if a bit over the top.

Hopefully she won't be a series regular.

The concept of her character remains but not the exact character and a new actress will be coming on. Annie Parisse, who I love, appears in the next episode.

Overall, I wanted to love it more than I did because I was so excited Kevin Bacon was coming to TV. I should learn to temper my expectations because I've been disappointed multiple years with projects I think are "can't miss" that end up misfiring. I wish it were more than it is. I'll stick with it for a while with the hope it gets better.

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 11:30 PM

I really like Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy so I enjoyed the pilot. I tend to like scary things and this will have to do until Walking Dead comes back on. Really hated the tough female cop though-it is difficult to do that type of job (interviewing people for one thing) and come off as such a bitch And was it just my TV or did everyone have odd yellow blotches across their skin from time to time? It was very distracting to me.

Badwitch

Badwitch

Stalker

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 11:42 PM

So Ryan had an affair with Joe's wife Claire. Joe and Claire has a son. Does anyone know how old the son is? Joe has been lock up for some years, so how old is the son? and does anyone think that the son might be Ryan's son, instead of Joe's.

I'm thinking it.

They showed that Claire was pregnant before she met Ryan. So unless there is some kind of plot twist coming then Joe really is the kid's father.

I just saw the flashback where she tells the Joe she was pregnant, but there wasn't anything in the flashback that made me think it was before Kevin Bacon's char. met her.

I forgot what the annoying woman agent's name was, but man she was annoying. The scene where she was in Claire's house and her son asked annoying agent, "are you a cop?" and annoying agent gets annoyed and walks away was annoying. I did like that the boy looks and his baby sitter and gives an eye-roll. Better then him sniffling because the cop doesn't like him.

I think the Poe thing will get annoying. I don't think every expert on Poe will think the same thing about Poe, so having people agree on what Poe meant will be problematic. Seems schticky.

Poor Puppies.

Today I was reading Cracked.com and they had an art. about excaped convicts, one being Ted Bundy, who was in a courthouse library doing research, without supervision, and excaped from the second floor...this escape had him free for enough time to go to Florida and kill more women. I just thought it was an odd coincidence.

threepeas

threepeas

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 11:59 PM

Poor Puppies

I know! I had no problem watching the mutilation and dismembering of the humans, but I had to close my eyes and do the "lalalalalala" thing when the dog stuff came on. Not sure what this says about me...

As I'm sitting here still thinking about the show, I'm realizing that there way a whole. helluva. lot. of stuff going on for an hour. Can they possibly keep up this pace for 14 episodes? And did anyone keep a body count for this one?

leela46

leela46

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 12:06 AM

I just saw the flashback where she tells the Joe she was pregnant, but there wasn't anything in the flashback that made me think it was before Kevin Bacon's char. met her.

The flashbacks showed that Claire found out she was pregnant in 2002. The flashback where she first met Ryan was from 2003.

Leroyiscrazy

Leroyiscrazy

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 12:09 AM

The flash back when she tells Joe she's pregnant is in 2002, she doesn't meet Ryan until 2003.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 12:16 AM

I thought it was disgusting. Way, way too violent and bloody for me.

Cliche upon cliche. And I quit watching "The Mentalist" because of the stupid cult of Red John. I'm not about to follow Red John 2.0.

I agree with both of these posters: I have no interest in gratuitous violence or cults. But Kevin Bacon was really good. He was never more than a famous name to me before this--a name from which we are all supposedly just 6 degrees away or some such nonsense. But I might watch one more episode just to see what he does next. Too bad he and Kyra Sedgwick aren't doing a crime show together. That would be unstoppable and untoppable.

Edited by shapeshifter, Jan 22, 2013 @ 12:17 AM.

Starchild

Starchild

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 12:20 AM

I was intrigued but also underwhelmed.

Feeling the same.

I have a feeling that she will either be killed by one of Joe's followers,or be reveal as one of Joe's followers.

Maybe this sounded good on paper, but I think the whole "can't trust anyone, anyone could be a member of the Cult of Joe" think is going to get tired fast. Kind of like a reverse deus ex machina.

At the moment, the only thing keeping me coming back next week is my adoration for Poe. But I doubt that will be enough to keep me in it for the long haul.

Almost indefensible. I'll revise that to remove the "almost" if it happens again.

Was anyone expecting to find Sarah placed inside the wall like Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart"? That's what I kept expecting.

That was "The Black Cat". Or "The Cask of Amontillado".

Edited by Starchild, Jan 22, 2013 @ 12:26 AM.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 12:29 AM

I thought it was one of the stronger pilots this season. Now, granted, I've been burned several times in the past, so I'm fully prepared for the chance it will start sucking, but I was intrigued. The writing wasn't very strong, but Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy made up for it. Bacon is one of those underrated actors I always like, so I'm glad to see him get a lead role like this, and I thought he shined, and I'm already interested in Ryan Hardy and rooting for him. Purefoy was perfect casting as Joe Carroll. I can easily buy him as someone who can be very charming (especially to women) and appear normal on the surface enough to fool people like his wife, but when the evil comes out, he can be very menacing and scary. I can't wait to see more of those two.

Supporting cast was solid too. Shawn Ashmore will always be Iceman from the X-Man flicks, but I like him. Surprised when I saw Maggie Grace's name in the credits, so I had to figure it meant she'd die. But she did a good job making me not want it to happen, and feel sad when it did. Also cool seeing Billy Brown, who was in the 6th season of Dexter. I'm going to wait and see on Natalie Zea, heh. I liked her here, but I actually liked her was Winona on Justified at first, until the character became extremely annoying. So, I don't want to press my luck here.

Wasn't a fan of Ryan's partner either. Glad that it looks like Annie Parisse is going to be joining and maybe replacing her.

I do think that someone in the FBI is going to end up being one of Joe's "followers." I just hope it isn't Ashmore.

Was very violent and hard to watch at times. Of course, I knew the dog bit would really be bad. I kind of hope Ashmore will be the one to kill that guy, after his comment over how pissed off he was.

So, good show, but I hope they don't drop the ball.

pleonasm

pleonasm

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 12:30 AM

With the exception of Maggie Grace's performance, this really was all kinds of awful. I didn't think it was possible to jam just about every single serial killer crime cliche into a single hour of television, but somehow they managed to pull it off. Lets start with:

1. The supra intelligent, ultra charismatic, literature quoting killer. A smarter show might have actually ventured to have a scene or two actually demonstrating how charming or persuasive he could be unless the scene in the classroom was intending to do that.
2. The alchoholic cop/FBI agent with a history with the killer and just for some extra tension, the killer's wife. Ex-Agent also valiantly follows the long standing movie/tv tradition of entering a potential crime scene with no backup or notifying his superiors.
3. Two people under 24 hour police protection easily kidnapped by the killer's minions.
4. An overly complicated evil plot requiring the killer to organize a bunch of individuals to kill, be killed, or risk their lives in service of his art. Also the killer must escape from prison and because he is all that and a bag of chips, he will then surrender to said police (so we can have some one on one time with our cop hero in future episodes).
5. Lets quote some Poe just to give some appearance of some intelligence in all of this nonsense.

Uggh.. all kinds of awful.

samsmom

samsmom

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 1:32 AM

The flashbacks showed that Claire found out she was pregnant in 2002. The flashback where she first met Ryan was from 2003.

If she's pregnant in 2002, the boy should be 9-10. He looked no older than 6-7. That had me thinking the boy is Ryan's from a later tryst.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 1:38 AM

This has cliches and shitty cliches, and the violence seems more perfunctory than anything. But the worst of the lot is the fucking Edgar Allen Poe spouting serial killer. Jesus what the fuck.

Also, the concept has already been done, by this little show called The Mentalist.

luvprue1

luvprue1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 1:39 AM

I sorry that so many people on this board do not like it. However if you are a fan of horror movies, and tv shows like The Walking Dead", than you might like it. It very dark,and twisted.

Well, that was fun. I loved the placement of the flashbacks. And I had to laugh when when Ashmore asked if Bacon was drinking water (and then offered him a mint). I could do without the Scream-type scares (they're so cheesy) but I'll keep watching for now.

Funny you should mention "Scream". The creator of Scream (Kevin Williamson) also created "The Following. I love that the following has a horror movie like feel to it.

Yes, I did too.

I wouldn't call that a plot hole really, because when you are involved with a crime,or have information on a previous case, you always have to talk to the police officer who is handling your case. However if you leave a message with anyone, it's very likely that your message will not get to the person. They will actual take the message but they will not deliver it in time. So speaking directly to the person is always the best way to insure the person get the message.

I do think that someone in the FBI is going to end up being one of Joe's "followers." I just hope it isn't Ashmore.

Well Joe Carroll hint to someone in Ryan's inner circle as being one of his follower. I betting on the lady cop.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 1:54 AM

If she's pregnant in 2002, the boy should be 9-10. He looked no older than 6-7. That had me thinking the boy is Ryan's from a later tryst.

What woman would tell her son that he's the child of a serial killer if it weren't true? I get that Ryan may not be the best role model in his current condition but when the other option is a serial killer...hell, if it were even a possibility, I'd be lying about the paternity just to avoid having my son know that.

I know we're all accustomed to soapy twists and turns but that one would serve absolutely no dramatic purpose except to be a twist.

It very dark,and twisted.

I can like dark and twisted, I just wish it were smart. That's one thing I didn't feel like this show was. I also kind of missed the humor of the Scream films Kevin did.