The Following

• Please log in to reply

2299 replies to this topic

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 12:05 PM

I'm just about out on this show. It's television equivalent of "Wild Things" only with two guys and a pixie girl instead of a smoking hot Denise Richards and the girl next door Neve Campbell.

54321Blastoff

54321Blastoff

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 1:02 PM

The Followers 3 have a super screwed up dynamic but they are the most interesting thing about this show.

Jacob/Emma/Paul, Joey and the kidnapped girl in the house in Upstate NY were the only interesting and suspenseful aspect of last night's episode. I didn't know what was going to happen as far as if they would kill the kidnapped woman and if so, who would do it, if Emma would kill Paul, if Paul would kill Emma, if Emma would snap and kill Jacob for not being able to kill and for letting her escape, etc..

As for the rest of the episode, I'm really losing interest. I've come to the conclusion that I really just don't care one iota about Ryan and his cliche broken, brooding, sob story past which the show only piled onto last night nor do I care about his sister. At no point in that restaurant did I expect anything other than Mike to come in through the side door and kill Maggie and save the day. There just wasn't any suspense at all - we knew Ryan wouldn't die, I figured Jenny wouldn't die and of course we had the killer, Maggie, giving long drawn out speeches about what she was going to do and her intentions giving Mike enough time to halt her plans. Yawn.

I'm going to stick with it for another week or two but the simple fact that I really don't find the main character of Ryan sympathetic or interesting kind of hurts this show's chances with me. I'm not interested in watching him struggle with his demons or learn more about his tragic life. It's all so unoriginal.

Oh yeah.. and the good guys are morons.

Edited by 54321Blastoff, Feb 12, 2013 @ 1:03 PM.

The Alchemist

The Alchemist

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 1:32 PM

Adding Encyclopedia Brown to the list of more expedient sleuths.

MzTeaze

MzTeaze

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 4:25 PM

Have we added to the list:
Encyclopedia Brown

LOL looks like The Alchemist and I had the same great idea.

I loved Encyclopedia Brown as a kid.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 4:34 PM

Still love Kevin Bacon and Shawn Ashmore, enjoy the Ryan/Joe scenes, and do think the Following threesome are more interesting in a creepy way, but the writing really is getting sillier and more preposterous by the second. It's hard for me to root for the captured girl, after that idiotic attempt of an escape. And way to overdo the sad back-story for Ryan.

Even after shooting the killer at the end, I still think Iceman might be a secret follower. And, once again, show, did you really have to name his character Mike Weston? Every time anyone says his name now, I'm going to be looking for Burn Notice's Michael Weston.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 4:37 PM

Did I hallucinate (entirely possible) or did Joey call out to Emma from inside the farmhouse and call her "Denise"?

MzTeaze

MzTeaze

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 4:44 PM

Bilgistic....I'm watching it now. He DID call her Denise.

That's what popped up on closed captioning too.

Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 5:04 PM

This show has (had?) potential, but the writing just isn't smart enough. Shame.

Dowel Jones

Dowel Jones

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 5:39 PM

Mike Weston?

The actor Mike Westin actually made at least one guest appearance on Burn Notice. Rather surreal moment when I saw it.

psychoticstate

psychoticstate

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 5:40 PM

Did I hallucinate (entirely possible) or did Joey call out to Emma from inside the farmhouse and call her "Denise"?

He did call her Denise because that was the fake name she used when Claire hired her as a nanny. He doesn't know her as Emma.

Why oh why did they have to write Megan as being a moron? Have that scary bitch Emma see her or something or have Megan fall but don't have her slam the door! When things like that happen, you almost want the stupidity snuffed out.

I don't care about Claire. I don't care about her backstory with Ryan. Anytime she is on the screen, everything seems to come to a screeching halt.

I think I am at the point where Carroll is less frightening than Emma, who scares the bejeesus out of me.

It's television equivalent of "Wild Things" only with two guys and a pixie girl instead of a smoking hot Denise Richards and the girl next door Neve Campbell.

Well, Kevin Bacon is in both!

Tarasme

Tarasme

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 6:05 PM

I had written a whole post about my gripes from last night... then I thought... why waste everyone's time? From the other posts I'm pretty sure y'all have covered all my complaints.

To me, the show, having so badly executed the

further exposition of Bacon's family back story
introduction of his sister
further reveal of Maggie as wanted serial killer (really show?)
the clumsiest hostage/rescue EVER (with MAGNETS! show?)
the Loudest and clumsiest hostage escape ever
the Follower trio's non-sexy, sexy times (if you consider their relationships- if they were presented as they are in any other show it would be cause for ridicule- I firmly believe that we're lauding these scenes ONLY because the rest of the show is so damn bad)
the continued ineptitude of elite federal law enforcement (because this case wasn't assigned to the rookie class at Quantico), etc.

is angling to have a reveal so ridiculous that all the stupidity before it will look brilliant.

It evokes thoughts of a French movie- High Tension, 2003 (actually a fairly interesting film)- where the woman who had traveled to the country with her friend only to see her friend abducted and her friend's family and various townspeople murdered by a big slovenly killer- ended up being the killer herself through random psychosis.

I don't know. I'm really disappointed with this whole endeavor. :(

Maverick

Maverick

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 6:15 PM

Add to the growing list:

Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau? Try Inspector Gadget.

KookaMonga

KookaMonga

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 6:21 PM

Why do I feel like Shawn Ashmore's character is related to Jacob. I know they have different names, but for some reason I kind of feel like they're connected and not in the cult joining ways.

I don't really mind the captured girl getting captured again and being stupid in her escape. After being tied up like that, the last thing you'll think of is to close the door properly. She just thought of running and running she did. However, it wasn't too smart, but it is her character. She was dumb enough to go some place secluded with a random guy, so.....

Didn't feel anything for Ryan and Megan. I want to like the show, I loved the first episode, but it seems like it's getting progressively worse. I think we've been spoiled though. There are so many shows where crimes like this get wrapped up in an hour (or 2 if it's in a movie) that staying with one case for an entire season seems odd. They have to drag it out, but by doing so it makes the police look stupid.

Oh well.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 8:11 PM

He did call her Denise because that was the fake name she used when Claire hired her as a nanny. He doesn't know her as Emma.

Thanks, psychoticstate! Clearly I didn't pay enough attention early on (I struggle to pay attention currently).

I continue to be bothered by the fact that Ryan and Claire's great and all-consuming love affair lasted two months, so we learned a couple episodes ago, and years later, they are still so incredibly drawn to each other. If their love was so amazing, how did they manage to be apart? That plot point annoys me most of all.

MistressBlot

MistressBlot

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 9:00 PM

Inspector Clouseau? Try Inspector Gadget.

Deputy Dawg.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 9:12 PM

Amelia Peabody! Ahem.

Anyway, only watching this show for the conflicted gay guys

I actually kind of adore their dynamic. And yes, the FBI is clueless and useless, but the gay guys (especially super hot gay guy whose name I have now figured out is Paul) and Iceman are keeping me interested.

I actually liked this episode, though. I think the villains were creepy and scary, and I identified with the victim (except how dumb she was making a shitload of noise and running into the light so she could be seen). I thought this episode was very suspenseful instead of gory. It was a nice change.

It's hard for me to root for the captured girl, after that idiotic attempt of an escape.

She did at least have a good idea originally. I think she should have told the guy she would disappear instead of going home to her family.

Edited by My Way, Feb 12, 2013 @ 9:15 PM.

Snookums

Snookums

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 10:16 PM

And Ryan gets bashed in the head again! Is there an episode where we haven't had that happen? Seriously, it is getting a little tiring having people sneak up on and hit him on the head.

Ha ha, this reminds me of Smallville where the boards established it would have been more efficient for Lex to just move into the damn hospital. Honestly, can just one show get the seriousness of head trauma right?

. I had to laugh a bit at the flashback prison scene, though. A cop right behind him and they are still discussing how to join the group.

There were two guards! One behind the Sensitive Not Killer and one behind Carroll. How in God's name did all this slide so completely under the radar?!? Do they only hire guards who are deaf and have no peripheral vision? Why does Carroll have no lawyer, who should be the only person allowed to talk to him? Honestly, Carroll's little sequel is going to be a flop because no one is going to believe that the entire law enforcement system is this fucking stupid.

Adding to the list:

Nate the Great
Amelia Bedelia
Good Dog Carl

psychoticstate

psychoticstate

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 10:27 PM

Thanks, psychoticstate! Clearly I didn't pay enough attention early on (I struggle to pay attention currently).

I continue to be bothered by the fact that Ryan and Claire's great and all-consuming love affair lasted two months, so we learned a couple episodes ago, and years later, they are still so incredibly drawn to each other. If their love was so amazing, how did they manage to be apart? That plot point annoys me most of all.

My pleasure, bilgistic! It's easy to miss things because sometimes there seems to be too many things going on at once.

I mentioned it too that I just don't care about Ryan and Claire's storyline together. It's really irrelevant and I think it bogs down the story.

I don't think a "relationship" that began and run during such a stressful time would have survived. If anything, you would think that Ryan would remind Claire of all the crap with Carroll (well, at least until all this stuff started up)

Snookums

Snookums

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 10:35 PM

Another bitch to add to the writing pile:

Another poster mentioned Ryan's o-so-sad back story, and BIG UPS to that. You know the writers don't trust the story when they can't stick to one tragedy--like watching your mother struggle for years with cancer, only to lose in the end, wouldn't be horrible enough! Let's gun down the dad! And as for Big Brother--when Claire said "Don't say 9-11" I was screaming the same thing!

I think the idea is that Ryan should be the kind of person who was lured into being a Follower but instead went the other way, but the pile on of awful makes it rather unbelievable that he and Jenny are functional at all.

Nell Huxleigh

Nell Huxleigh

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 10:54 PM

On the better detective pile-up:the Scooby Gang with Thelma and Fred tied up and unable to help
There is a sketch about The Identity Killer on That Mitchell and Webb Look that really is reminding me of The Following. The level of police work is about equivalent.
This should have been a 6 hour miniseries. Miniseries used to be the bomb.

sunsheyen

sunsheyen

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 11:32 PM

Cam Jansen. "Click"

henriPootel

henriPootel

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 1:18 AM

more detectives who'd have already solved this:

Chief Inspector Japp (the tv version who always arrested the obvious, innocent suspect)
Clancy Wiggam
Captain Caveman (with or without the Teen Angels)

Catronia

Catronia

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 1:58 AM

I thought this episode was a big improvement on previous ones. No giant FBI fail; in fact, they did pretty well with IDing the Crazy Cult Threesome's location, Maggie's history, etc. Mike remains suspect, but they avoided any silly unnecessary deaths. I really liked that Jenny's relationship with Ryan looked like ex-girlfriend until they ID'd her as sister, and that she knew Claire. And I continue to love watching Crazy Cult Threesome more and more (though I really want poor Megan to get away somehow).

KatWay

KatWay

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 4:02 AM

The Crazy Threesome is my number one reason for watching right now, so I hope they stick around. Especially the ambiguously gay guys, they can keep making out for as long as they want. Ryan/Claire is okay in my book, but I seriously hope she's not secretly one of the cult. Isn't the whole point that someone like Joe should only be able to influence weak personalities, with serial killer tendencies already there? There have got to be a couple of people who just found him creepy. I think Joe isn't as charismatic as he's supposed to be , but the actor does a good job of portraying someone who's psycho but also capable of blending in. The FBI seems unnecessarily dumb at times (seriously, the message says "Now" and he reads it out loud? One lone FBI agent stays with the wife? Nobody runs a background check on anybody these days, apparently?), but I'll keep watching for now.

Apocolocyntosis

Apocolocyntosis

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 6:50 AM

God, this show is terrible, from the Mayberry FBI to the sophomoric treatment of an already kind of sophomoric literary figure. Seriously, Poe? Also, a mother dead of leukemia, a father killed in the line of duty, AND a sibling 9/11 casualty as backstory?

That said, they've already gotten way more mileage out of "three psychotic monsters in a tortured love triangle" than four seasons' worth of episodes of The Vampire Diaries. Eat your heart out, Julie Plec!

And I agree with KatWay that last episode's ambiguously gay makeout scene was this show's greatest artistic achievement to date. Emmys all around.

Edited by Apocolocyntosis, Feb 13, 2013 @ 7:56 AM.

psychoticstate

psychoticstate

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 9:00 AM

Another detective to add to the list:

Peter Brady during The Brady Bunch episode where he was a detective in search of Carol's missing earrings

xtwheeler

xtwheeler

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 5:38 PM

I almost lost it when Kevin Bacon said he didn't want to be around Claire because he would only remind her and Joey of Joe. Um, Don't you think her KID is at least as big a reminder as you are, bozo? Her life will forever be a reminder of Joe. Might as well go whole hog.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 3:39 PM

I still like the show, more or less. The pilot is still by far the best episode for me, but this last one was ok in relation the the others before. I yell at my tv, lol, but it still holds my interest. I'll give it another ep or 2 before I decide to bail.

Navona

Navona

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 3:57 PM

My biggest problem with the show is how much I really do not like KB as an actor. Never did, never will.

Saves me an hour a week though....

candycanecrawl

candycanecrawl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 6:27 PM

I actually kind of adore their dynamic. And yes, the FBI is clueless and useless, but the gay guys (especially super hot gay guy whose name I have now figured out is Paul) and Iceman are keeping me interested.

The Crazy Threesome is my number one reason for watching right now, so I hope they stick around. Especially the ambiguously gay guys, they can keep making out for as long as they want.

Even though I love KB and JP, I have avoided this show like the plague, right now I have a personal moratorium on serial killer/dead women shows. Then I read about the Crazy Threesome on AE. I marathoned the first four eps by fast forwarding through everything, but the Threesome and now I can't wait to see what they do next. Although, I do wonder if and when Jacob decides to get his murder on it will be to reduce the threesome to a twosome. Though it's relative, Paul seems more unhinged than the other two and not just because he was odd man out.

And the basement girl is why I can't watch these shows. Her idea to get free was good, but then she behaves incredibly stupidly once she's free. Of course if she was smart enough to figure how Jacob could make it look like he killed her, she's smart enough not go have gone off willingly into the woods with a guy she spoke to for five minutes in the grocery store.