The Following

• Please log in to reply

2295 replies to this topic

Strega

Strega

Network Executive

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 4:12 AM

Per Fox:

THE FOLLOWING, a psychological thriller created by Kevin Williamson ("The Vampire Diaries," "Dawson's Creek," "Scream" franchise) and starring Golden Globe Award-winning actor Kevin Bacon ("X-Men: The Last Stand," "Frost/Nixon") and James Purefoy ("Rome"), launches Monday, Jan. 21 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT). The intense, spellbinding drama follows RYAN HARDY (Bacon), an ex-FBI agent called out of retirement to track down JOE CARROLL (Purefoy), a devious and diabolical serial killer, and the mastermind behind an ever-growing web of killers.

Network TV this winter appears to be All About Serial Killers. So that's cheery?

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 11:27 AM

I don't get it either, Strega, but considering the ongoing dour/gritty bender network TV has been on it was probably inevitable.

As for this iteration: I'm morbidly curious (ow, pun) about it, though I can't help thinking "Didn't the movie Cobra go something like this?"

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 1:01 PM

Mostly because of Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy, this is the only new show I'm actually looking forward to.

dirtydi

dirtydi

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 2:26 PM

I saw the pilot at Comic Con and it was wonderful. Great music, performances, and it was really well directed. It was suspenseful, as well.

Kolaka

Kolaka

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 5:24 PM

This premieres Monday and I'm looking forward to it. I generally like Kevin Bacon but for me this depends on how omnipotent the serial killer is.

James Purefoy reminds me of Hugh Jackman in the previews.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 7:46 PM

Fox is rerunning the premiere Friday at 9. I hope they continue to rerun episodes in that slot because my Mondays are full.

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 9:01 PM

I am assuming that The Following is the replacement show for Fringe. I think Fox is debuting it on Monday's initially to avoid Fringe supporters not tuning into the show that took their show's slot. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 9:11 PM

Well, I like both Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy so I am definitely sampling this. I hope it's not too gruesome because I am a bit of a wimp.

Amtosbm

Amtosbm

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 8:22 AM

I have been looking forward to this since I saw some clips last summer. I was really hoping James would end up on Game of Thrones but I think he will be fantastic in this. I heard its really violent so I expect to be half-watching at some points. I just hope Fox gives it a chance. I really wish it was on another network.

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 12:58 PM

I'm actually a total wimp, not just a bit of a wimp, so anyone who's seen the pilot, how gruesome is it and will I be able to take it? Please spoiler for other posters if appropriate.

I would love to be able to get into this show as the trailer looks great, and every actor I like is on this show, but yeah, the wimp thing has prevented me from keeping up with shows I enjoy like Grey's Anatomy and Fringe. (Told you. Total wimp.)

Sara Sunshine

Sara Sunshine

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 1:02 PM

Well, I like both Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy so I am definitely sampling this. I hope it's not too gruesome because I am a bit of a wimp.

This is exactly how I feel. I live alone and am easily frightened. I'm already anticpating not getting sleep tonight. Example: I love Criminal Minds, but every once in a while they scare me enough not to fall asleep (ususally their two parters). But my love for Kevin Bacon compels me to watch this anyway!

Willow2tree

Willow2tree

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 2:33 PM

I am going to try this because of my love for Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy, but it may be offset by my absolute loathing of Natalie Zea. Have never liked her in ANY role, and I don't get the attraction. Plus, they are having her character, which is the wife of the serial killer, be in a
Spoiler
That just sounds so gag-worthy, I don't know if I can watch it.

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 2:40 PM

Willow2tree, I first saw Natalie Zea in The Other Guys and I found her so beautiful and funny! Is that the kind of movie you would watch or have watched?

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 3:04 PM

Oh no. I didn't know Natalie Zea was in this. I stopped watching Justified because of her.

I'm going to watch, but I'm already turned off. Oy.

This just ruined the show for me and it hasn't even started yet.

Willow2tree

Willow2tree

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 4:18 PM

Bunny, I haven't seen The Other Guys. I have seen Natalie Zea in Dirty Sexy Money, Justified and Person of Interest. Hated her in all of them. Thanks for the heads up, though. Is it a comedy? Maybe I should try it.

Cmm, she has pretty much been written off Justified. Come on back! Last season was phenomenal, and this one looks pretty good so far too.

Edited by Willow2tree, Jan 21, 2013 @ 4:20 PM.

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 4:55 PM

The Other Guys is a comedy, yeah. Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg are cops. It's 2010. Definitely one of my favourite movies from the past two years, but you'd have to like that kind of thing. It's just rare that women get to be very funny in those types of movies and I thought Natalie did a very good job. She only appears about halfway through the movie, and maybe only for 10 minutes.

I've seen her on Californication, Franklin & Bash, and The Defenders. Loved her in The Other Guys, thought she was fine enough in the other things. I must watch the exact opposite of the shows that you guys do ;)

Edited by Bunny LaJoya, Jan 21, 2013 @ 5:00 PM.

gingercharm21

gingercharm21

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 6:19 PM

For anyone who has seen the pilot, is the female partner who seems to do the "I'm a hardass bitch, and I hate you Kevin Bacon" shtick annoying, or is she ok? Because I've seen that stereotype way too often lately, and I'm not sure I want to invest in a show where one of the main characters is that horrible and grates.

dirtydi

dirtydi

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 8:09 PM

I don't think that character is in any other episode.

GG63

GG63

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 9:33 PM

Started to watch and am now doing the PVR thing. Some of those pictures are pretty graphic as well as some of the descriptions of the serial killer's actions. Not before bed tv for me.

On a shallow note - I don't remember Kevin Bacon looking this good in a very long time. Usually he looks a little gaunt to me but he seems to have gained a couple of pounds so his face doesn't look as drawn as usual.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:00 PM

It's a little unrelenting, isn't it? I knew Maggie Grace was toast, but I didn't see the fake gay couple being in on it. And Carroll got caught awful fast, I figured he would draw it out further.

gingercharm21

gingercharm21

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:02 PM

Very good pilot! I am cautiously optimistic of course, but I loved Scream, so I got the feeling I'd love this. I so hope this doesn't head south fast. I knew the gay neighbors were in on it, they gave eachother some very obvious looks, but I really did want Maggie Grace to survive. Kevin Bacon is looking worn out as hell, but I guess it fits for the show. Nice use of flashbacks, not overly done.

ETA: I really hope they push it to the limits on what the network will allow concerning violence. I want to see what an actual serial killer might do and not have it whitewashed.

At least the heart condition isn't because of his drinking. The man was stabbed, so I liked that explanation.

Edited by gingercharm21, Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:13 PM.

john68

john68

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:02 PM

It didn't blow me away but I'm intrigued enough to tune in next week. Seems a little heavy on the cliches though, do we really need another ex cop with a drinking problem and a failed relationship?

leela46

leela46

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:11 PM

It moved a little fast for a pilot, but then again they had a lot of plot to establish in a first episode. I liked the use of flashbacks. The production quality was very good and I'm intrigued. This has the potential to be a genuinely scary and suspenceful show. I hope the rest of the episodes are this good.

lulee

lulee

Stalker

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:12 PM

Plus a heart condition, john68.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:14 PM

I really enjoyed it. It started off slow but I was hooked at the end. I liked seeing familiar actors and actresses on this show. Winona annoyed me on Justified but I've always liked Natalie Zea and thought she was fine here. I'll definitely be back next week.

john68

john68

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:15 PM

Plus a heart condition

My bad, forgot that one.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:19 PM

One of the better pilots I've seen in a very long time. And the payoff with Bacon and Purefoy at the end was extremely well done.

Only one thing bothered me. I called the gay couple kidnapping Maggie Grace as soon as I saw them and I suspected she wouldn't survive the pilot. Generally, that kind of predictability would make me check out of a pilot. But Bacon and Purefoy kept me intrigued.

Other than that though I really liked this and I'm in for the series at this point. Unless things go pear shaped in the next few episodes.

Edited by SanLynn, Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:21 PM.

threepeas

threepeas

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:21 PM

is the female partner who seems to do the "I'm a hardass bitch, and I hate you Kevin Bacon" shtick annoying, or is she ok?

Annoying. No, wait...super annoying. I wanted to retrieve the ice pick from "Ice Pick Lady" (loved that that's how the cops referenced her!) and stick it in HER eye. Hopefully she won't be a series regular - I really liked this pilot and want to watch more of it, but she could be the deal breaker.

Edited by threepeas, Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:23 PM.

blixie2

blixie2

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:22 PM

What cliched, hollow, ridiculously self-serious piece of shit. I thought it sucked out loud. I love Kevin Bacon and Natalie Zea but screw that mess.

Mama No Life

Mama No Life

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:23 PM

Poor Irvina...I was hoping she'd survive. :(

I really enjoyed this...dark and scary. Watched half of it between the fingers over my eyes. lol How dang long has that nanny been in place? (and for that matter, how do two college professors afford that house in historic Richmond?)