Do No Harm

• Please log in to reply

139 replies to this topic

Strega

Strega

Network Executive

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 4:08 AM

Per NBC:

In "Do No Harm," Dr. Jason Cole (Steven Pasquale, "Rescue Me") is a highly respected neurosurgeon who has it all - a lucrative career, confident charm, the gift of compassion. But he also has a deep, dark secret. One morning when he wakes up disoriented in a wrecked hotel room amidst several near-naked women he's never seen before, he knows one thing: it's happening again. Every night at the same hour, something inside Jason changes, leaving him almost unrecognizable - seductive, devious, borderline sociopathic. This new man is his dangerous alternate personality who goes by the name of "Ian Price." For years he's battled Ian, keeping him in check with a powerful experimental sedative. But now his - their - body has developed a resistance to the serum, setting Ian free once again. And to make matters worse, after being suppressed for so long, Ian's hell-bent on taking revenge on his oppressor. With everyone Jason cares about at risk - patients, friends, co-workers and even the woman he loves - he's got to stop Ian once and for all. Will they find some common ground, or will they bring each other down? Hell hath no fury like an alter ego scorned.

This sounds like someone thought "We're reworking Stevenson!" would be a good cover for "...but mostly we're just ripping off Dexter."

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 12:59 PM

I never saw Dexter but to me, it sounds more like a modern Jekyll and Hyde.

clawdette

clawdette

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 11:41 PM

Reworking Stevenson would be a modern Jekyll and Hyde.

Edited by clawdette, Jan 5, 2013 @ 11:42 PM.

Solea

Solea

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 2:07 AM

This sounds like someone thought "We're reworking Stevenson!" would be a good cover for "...but mostly we're just ripping off Dexter."

All this does is bring to mind My Own Worst Enemy, a show I still miss, which was, yeah, kind of a reworking of the Jekyll and Hyde theme.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 2:48 PM

Yeah, based on the ads I thought Jekyll & Hyde was pretty obvious. I'll probably check it out because it looks like it could fall into the Guilty Pleasure category or the Trainwrecky Goodness category.

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 3:06 PM

All this does is bring to mind My Own Worst Enemy, a show I still miss, which was, yeah, kind of a reworking of the Jekyll and Hyde theme.

I was gonna say the same thing. That show was awesome. I just wish it hadn't ended up on a loser network.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 12:26 AM

I'm going to watch it for Steven Pasquale, who was never appropriately recognized for his great performance as Garrity on Rescue Me. Phylicia Rashad, Michael Esper, and Lin-Manuel Miranda are also costarring on it - so how could my theater loving heart say no?

The premise does sound hokey - so depending on the tone of the show I may be surprised. I never expected to like Syfy's Being Human based on it's premise of a werewolf, a ghost, and a vampire living together but that show surprised me. As long as it's not too procedural, there's so much of that on TV already that it just gets boring. I think it's what cursed A Gifted Man.

OakGoblinfly

OakGoblinfly

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 11:23 AM

Part of me is hoping is that this is just a wee bit like Moffat's Jekyll. I will give it a few episodes and see what happens ........ I thought I would like Elementary and hate Grimm just based on the premise, turns out just the opposite happened.

Numb Nut

Numb Nut

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 9:02 PM

Wow. I just watched the first 10 minutes of the pilot on Hulu. Are we supposed to watch this with a straight face? The dialogue is laughably bad with cheesy innuendos and the Jekyll/Hyde premise just seems so silly, especially after seeing what he does as Hyde (the horrors of a frat boy gone mad!). I've never seen "Dexter" so I don't know if that's what the show is trying to emulate. I have seen several seasons of "Rescue Me" and Pasquale never grew on me, so I won't be sticking around for more, but I do feel embarrassed for him.

Edited by Numb Nut, Jan 16, 2013 @ 9:03 PM.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 12:44 AM

I wish this show was so much better due to the cast involved.
Spoiler

I'll probably continue to watch in hopes that it will get better, though.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 9:41 AM

That pilot was... mediocre, to be nice. Not only has the Jekyll & Hyde thing already been done, and much better, but Pasquale (whom i've never seen before) lacks charisma and screen presence. Granted, he's not helped by the writing, and by the supporting cast... all in all, there's absolutely nothing and nobody memorable in that first hour, so... pass.

BooBear

BooBear

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 4:20 PM

That pilot was... mediocre, to be nice.

I think it might have worked better on cable. The problem for me is that the "Hyde" wasn't very evil. I suppose they could only go so far based on network tv. But if they were going go within the confines of network tv he should have been much more calculatingly evil... such as the first night he was loose, he didn't sleep with people (oooh such a baddy) and spent the night finding out how his alter ego kept him from emerging and taking it out.

I had hoped when his blood sugar came back high that would be the reason for the change or a symptom of it, but, of course... no. And I don't like the whole 8:25 PM thing.. which seems lame and seems to really cut back on suspense opportunities. If he could say change any time after dark... that might ramp up the bad moment factor.

zombygirl

zombygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 4:28 PM

I watched a little bit of it on HULU, but it was way too much like Jekyll for me, and not that good besides. NOthing of it's own, and kinda bland.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2013 @ 7:26 PM

I watched the pilot on TiVo, downloaded for free from Amazon. It wasn't bad, even if cheesy. I'll give it at least another episode.
Spoiler

Phylicia Rashad is stunning--she is 64 and barely looks any older than she did when she was on The Cosby Show, 30 years ago!

clawdette

clawdette

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 26, 2013 @ 11:18 PM

Just watched on my cable's NBC On Demand. Maybe it speaks more to the lack of anything watchable on Saturday nights but I enjoyed the pilot. Yes, there is much hand-waving required (all I could think about was how did Cole make it through those endless internship and residency hours) but I'm willing to watch another couple of episodes.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2013 @ 2:29 AM

Yes, there is much hand-waving required (all I could think about was how did Cole make it through those endless internship and residency hours) but I'm willing to watch another couple of episodes.

Very good point! It made little sense to me, too, that a surgeon would never have to be available for emergency surgeries after 8pm or before 8am.

I thought the main identity's name was Jason something and the "other's" was Ian Cole.
Spoiler

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:12 PM

I really really hate it when a show that is just bad for 99% of the hour hooks me right at the end with something I want to see more of. I'll give it some more time but I'll catch the episodes online. I'm not going to waste my DVR space on it that's for sure.

Steven Pasquale was decent I thought but the writing was so cliched and uneven it didn't give him a whole lot to work with.

And it doesn't help that the first 10 or 15 minutes made me yell "come on!" at my tv repeatedly. That whole section where he's counting down to the first 8:25 change was just so ham-fisted and ridiculous it made it difficult to buy much that came after it.

This was meh for me but I do want to find out what happens next.

The Wild Sow

The Wild Sow

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:24 PM

all I could think about was how did Cole make it through those endless internship and residency hours) but I'm willing to watch another couple of episodes.

Oh yeah, me three!

I'll give it a shot though.

Also, the actor playing her son wasn't as old as five, which was as long as she'd been in hiding./nitpick

Well, presumably he'd be 4 as a pregnancy takes the better part of a year. (I trust I can uspoiler this now?)

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:47 PM

I had saw it On Demand a few days ago and my first impression wasn't that positive. I'm all for hand-waving things on TV, but there was just so much going on that made me go "Really?!", that it ruined the viewing. I could go on for a while, but I totally agree that one of the biggest offenses is buying Cole could have gotten through internship and residence with this "condition". It's just near impossible to believe. And it was also full of clunky and cliched moments. I can only hope some of that was do to pilot growing pains, and it won't be that bad in future episodes.

Not famailar with Steven Pasquale. He had his moments, but there is something about his voice that makes him come off kind of smarmy. That worked for Ian/Hyde character; probably his best moments, but it kind of made it hard to warm up to Jason, where I'm sure I'm suppose to think he's a decent guy.

One of the main reasons I gave it a shot was hearing Alana De La Garza was in it (sniff, I miss Original Law & Order); too bad it seems her character is just going to be the typical love interest. Briefly seeing John Caroll Lynch just made me sad that he was let go from Body of Proof (not a great show, but his character was one of the best things about it.) Cool seeing a few other famailar faces like Samm Levine as Jason's assistant and Phylicia Rashad, who does look great for her age.

I'll probably give it a few more shots, but it will be online/On Demand viewing, since I vastly prefer Elementary.

Misslindsey

Misslindsey

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 1:17 AM

I'm going to watch it for Steven Pasquale, who was never appropriately recognized for his great performance as Garrity on Rescue Me. Phylicia Rashad, Michael Esper, and Lin-Manuel Miranda are also costarring on it - so how could my theater loving heart say no?

This. I wanted to like the pilot more, because I loved Lin-Manuel Miranda in In the Heights. I adore Michael Esper, because I loved American Idiot. The pilot was so meh, though I figured as much judging from the previews for it. Can't we just watch the cast sing for an hour? Please?

patty1h

patty1h

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 11:10 AM

The show was kinda crappy and bland, but I'll give it another watch or two. What bothered me the most was all the operating room scenes with internal organs, blood, brains, etc. I can't handle that.

Starchild

Starchild

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 2:02 PM

I totally agree that one of the biggest offenses is buying Cole could have gotten through internship and residence with this "condition"

Never mind, what about medical school and late-night study sessions? He'd have to be a genius to be able to get all his reading, research and assignments done before 8pm every night. Not humanly possible, I don't think.

I felt there was far too much going on in this episode. They should have spent more time focusing on the core of the premise. Having two House-like patients to work with as well just crammed too much in. I can't see how anyone can do the kind of work he does in just 12 hours a day, even if he didn't have to devote time to cleaning up after his alter-ego every morning.

LostintheHouse

LostintheHouse

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 3:29 PM

I was willing to "suspend my disbelief" and just enjoy the fantasy of the show. Crazy? Yes. Illogical? Yes. Gruesome? Yes. Despite all that, I loved every second of it.

Steven Pasquale is just so easy on this girl's eyes. I'd never seen him before, and he's just delicious. Phylicia Rashad is gorgeous.

The flip at 8:25 a.m. / p.m. is curious, but I suspect we'll be learning more about why that particular time was chosen. The question of how he got through medical school / residency with this condition just didn't bother me, because the premise is so ridiculous - but fun.

I'm guessing this show won't last long, based on reviews I read this morning. But I'm in for as long as it lasts.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 4:12 PM

The reviews are nothing compared to the awful ratings. NBC might give it one more week but if it doesn't show some improvement it's going to yanked quicker than the lights went out on Revolution.

Ratings

Edited by SanLynn, Feb 1, 2013 @ 4:12 PM.

patty1h

patty1h

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 5:12 PM

That blood sugar reader thing he had to stick his finger in - is that a real device? If yes, does every doctor need to do this or just the ones who are diabetic?

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 2:05 AM

My Own Worst Enemy was way better than this show.

saturnrose

saturnrose

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 9:48 AM

I have to thank this show for the best (unintentional) laugh I've had in a long time. I could handle the 8:25 bit, having an alternate personality in the first place or the question of how he got through med school. It's fiction, right? but the diabetes business had me falling off the couch laughing. You might be able to stretch the "diabetics can't work after sunset" part (we're not reverse vampires) but the whole getting stabbed with insulin like an epipen and going down in the same instant? No, just no.

If it stays on the air, I may watch for the unintentional medical hilarity, but I really hope no one is getting any medical information from this.

Navona

Navona

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 10:06 AM

I tuned it and could barely manage to get half way through it; simply awful and stupid. And, as a viewer, am I supposed to care in any way at all about this creepy character? Maybe if they had included some kind of preamble about why this was happening - but, instead, he just came across as a real freak as his alter ego - who cares?

I'm guessing from what I saw of the ratings that this one will soon vanish - and, rightfully so. Ugh. Bad concept, badly executed, no redeeming anything from what I can tell - who thought this was a good idea to waste money on? Fire 'em! (my opinion only)

Arjumand

Arjumand

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 1:24 PM

My greatest reaction to this was, "Why, Claire Huxtable, you look beautiful!" Maybe someone should do a show about her, and the portrait she must have hidden away in her attic.

I really wanted to like it, but I ended up somehow, not. Basically, Ian was not evil enough to be Mr Hyde, who just kicks a man to death because he can. It seems like every time we were told about how he does HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE things, either the writing saves him, or we found out they weren't as bad as we thought. For example, with De La Garza's character, we were obviously meant to think that he raped her (at which point I was ready to switch off, 'cos I loathe the use of rape as a plot device), but then it was just that he was messing with her, and didn't hurt much more than her pride, in my opinion. Then he was planning to mess up someone's brain surgery, so we had the whole Magic Insulin Shock McGuffin. Or that scene where he seems to be surrounded by bodies, except they're all asleep, because he's the Sex Machine. OMG, he took drugs and had sex! Call the police!

If he wanted revenge on Cole, where's the full-sleeve arm tattoo full of obscenities? Or the bedroom painted in blood? It's not as much Jekyll/Hyde as it is repressed guy/ id guy who wants to have fun. I'm sure we'll find out that the scar on Olivia's face was some sort of accident or whatever, except I doubt that the show is going to last that long.

Not when I look for reviews and find articles about "Do No Harm's historic ratings flop".

If it stays on the air, I may watch for the unintentional medical hilarity, but I really hope no one is getting any medical information from this.

Don't worry, I think this is just inspiring lots of head-shaking and face-palming. My own eye-rolling moment was when his patient developed Prosopagnosia - I am so non-medical I couldn't even watch those fake surgeries, and even I know that face-blindness doesn't mean you see a monster in the mirror! It just means you see a stranger. For fuck's sake.

Edited by Arjumand, Feb 2, 2013 @ 1:29 PM.

suzeecat

suzeecat

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 10:50 PM

I found the premise of this show very interesting and tuned in to see how they would pull it all together. Not convinced and a little confused and disappointed, but I'll stick around at least a little longer. I could definitely do without the gorey surgery close-ups.

Did anyone see Jim Carrey's Cable Guy when Cole was his evil self?

At the end when he found out he had a son, was he the "bad guy" Cole? Was it early morning then, before 8:25 am? I was kinda figuring he was "bad guy" when it was dark, and "good guy" when it was light, but that scene threw me off.

Looking good, Phylicia Rashad, black don't crack!