Zero Hour

• Please log in to reply

230 replies to this topic

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 11:28 PM

So, at least I got a basic idea of the plot. A bunch of clocks are spread all over the world, that are part of some kind of big mystery involving the end of the world (of course), and Evil Vincent is after them, with Jacinda Barrett in tow. So, in order to stop him, Anthony Edwards and Tattooed Agent Carmen Ejogo are going to team up, and try to beat him to the clocks, and get some kind of advantage over him. There 0-2 now, so they better step it up. Oh, and there is a Nazi Anthony Edwards; either a relative who really looks like him or a clone. Alrighty, then.

Maybe I was in a more forgiving mood, but I did enjoy this a bit more then the pilot, even though I still find a whole bunch of this very silly. I just don't see this not being able to end in convoluted mess, but it's not like I'm watching anything else right now. And I do like the sidekicks, so I guess there's that.

Wild speculation time: Carmen Ejogo's husband will end up not being dead, since it was an airplane explosion and they probably didn't recover the body. Addison Timlin being an orphan will come into play somehow. Maybe her parents were involved in the conspiracy somehow. There will be more Anthony Edwards clones out there. Hell, an entire army of Anthony Edwards clones!

Dowel Jones

Dowel Jones

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 1:25 AM

I hope everybody in the chase has lots of credit card miles stashed away. Twelve clocks = twelve cities (and twelve episodes).
Best line of the night: "Brazil nuts, anyone?"
The one nitpick I had was the FBI agent walking up to her door and opening it without even checking the peephole (apparently). Where do you live that you can do that?
I don't know how deep the Arctic Ocean is at that point, but their little magazine could fund itself for the rest of existence by going back and getting that submarine after it's all over.

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 12:19 PM

I would like it better if I didn't have to hear about his damn wife every 2 minutes. It was reminding me of Lost with Michael yelling "Walt!" all the time. Anthony Edwards just seems wrong for this part.

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 12:40 PM

On ABC Zero Hour earned a 1.1 down 21 percent from a 1.4 adults 18-49 rating for last week’s premiere. tvbythenumbers.com

And 5.32 total. Not good.

I tried watching this morning as I was getting ready for work but I ran out of time. I guess you could say that this episode made more sense than the premier, but I'm still not getting it all. I either need to focus on the show or give it up.

Anthony Edwards just seems wrong for this part.

This was the one thing that kept coming to my mind. While I thought it would be cool to see AE again (I literally haven't seen anything he's done since ER), I'm not enjoying him in this part. Maybe he's too old, I don't know, but I'm not liking him here.

(I also don't like Michael Nyqvist, but I wasn't a fan of his in the GWTDT series either.)

Honestly, I don't know if I like any of these people.

I missed the last 20 minutes, so I'm not sure what happened, yet I'm also not sure what happened it the 40 mins I DID watch!

This is pretty much me.

Edited by cmm226, Feb 22, 2013 @ 1:34 PM.

JenE4

JenE4

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 1:08 PM

I missed the last 20 minutes, so I'm not sure what happened, yet I'm also not sure what happened it the 40 mins I DID watch! Granted, my family was being loud so I missed a lot of dialogue. But how did White Vincent go from being "caught" by the FBI agent in the first scene in the submarine to suddenly being missing again? You ALREADY found him! I guess the series would be over but WTF?

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 2:18 PM

But how did White Vincent go from being "caught" by the FBI agent in the first scene in the submarine to suddenly being missing again? You ALREADY found him!

It was pretty silly. Basically, he had rigged his car with a bomb, and for whatever reason he wasn't restrained when they left the submarine (did Carmen Ejogo not bring hand-cuffs? WTF?!). So, with his free hands, he detonated the bomb, knocking Carmen and Anthony Edwards on their asses, he reclaimed what he was looking for, and then bailed on the plane. Which, come to think of it, meant Carmen and Anthony were stranded there. Did they just walk back to civilization in the freezing cold (not to mention breaking ice)? Or did she have a cell phone and call for help? Because last week, they made it sound like they were in an isolated, dangerous place, that was hard to get to. I'm probably thinking way too hard about this.

Oh, those ratings. This show is so freaking doomed.

Jupiter84

Jupiter84

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 3:16 PM

The one thing that is odd but probably can be explained is if Hank has this twin/clone/doppelganger in the arctic and this T/C/D was in Hitlers army where there are records, photographs and apparently film of him, yet no one has ever seen Hank and thought they recognized him as part of Hitlers gang.

The one thing I am sure about is the F.B.I agent has a more personal reason to catch Vincent, the fact that she was willing to shoot and kill him instead of what I would assume is normal procedure of arresting him says a lot.

eraserhead

eraserhead

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 3:41 PM

I was able to really enjoy this show by listening to Pandora on earphones and augmenting the closed captions by making up what the characters were saying. Otherwise it's really amazing that Nazis and the apocalypse can be made so boring.

Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 3:57 PM

Well, I guess I was really, really bored at the time this was on, because I ended up watching another episode. It's still terrible.

Or did she have a cell phone and call for help?

Yes, she had some kind of super-duper cell/satellite phone, and was able to put out a mayday. Otherwise, well, that would have been a distinctly chilly death for both of them.

chaingunsofdoom

chaingunsofdoom

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 4:13 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the first time we learn of "Young Female Sidekick's" name (which is Rachel) when she magically finds the FBI woman's address using Google?

basiltherat

basiltherat

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 4:48 PM

Hank is not as smart of a man as Anthony Edwards should be portraying. Edwards should be portraying a really smart, heroic character or a really bad baddie, not a Laila-bleating calf. Hank is rather a chinless, wimpy looking character to be a doppelganger/clone/whatever of the epitome of Aryan superiority, a Nazi officer.

jane08

jane08

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 5:43 PM

There's something that really bugs me abut this show, and I can't put my finger on it exactly. I am annoyed by Anthony Edwards in this, for one thing. And the "save my wife" thing over and over and over is stupid. Even worse, when Vincent is threatening to dissolve Laila's (Layla's?) body in the tub, the only thing she says is "I just want to be with my husband." Really? How about you just want to LIVE? It seems contrived and silly.

I usually like conspiracy-theory stuff but this show is just not doing it for me.

Peterased

Peterased

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 6:07 PM

Maybe he's too old, I don't know, but I'm not liking him here.

The original script and casting call described the character as being in his 30s.

KaveDweller

KaveDweller

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 7:37 PM

The original script and casting call described the character as being in his 30s.

I actually think the show would work a lot better if the main character was younger, and with a different actor. I like Anthony Edwards well enough, but he does seem too old. The first scene with him and the wife made it seem like they were newlyweds. But maybe they just haven't fleshed the character out enough.

preeya

preeya

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 8:11 PM

Another cancellation waiting to happen.

The first scene with him and the wife made it seem like they were newlyweds.

I actually thought they were father & daughter.

LyricCat

LyricCat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 12:15 PM

And they cancelled the Last Resort? Gack! This show is dreadful. I never watched Anthony Edwards in anything but he is wrong for this part. He is too beige and soft looking. Nothing sexy or compelling about him that makes me root for him to win -- win what I still haven't figured out. He actually looks better in a Nazi uniform == YUCK. They are in the Arctic and the FBI agent doesn't wear a hat so we can see her hair flowing? Damn the ears -- didn't need them anyway. They covered thousands of miles in seconds -- no accounting for the cost of all of this. He and his wife have little businesses that are apparently very flush. And his staff -- they look like they are 12 and they fly all over the place in seconds as well. Maybe they discovered time travel. And everyone is willing to talk to them. I'm out.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 1:23 PM

I adore how bad this show is. When it really hit me was when Velma and Shaggy find the clock maker guy and he's all breathlessly telling them everything in dire, over-the-top huffs. I mean seriously he was in the shadows, wild-eyed, shining up old clocks with a handkerchief while he told them tall tales of nazis and prophecies and the end of the world in gruffled warnings.

The cop is just useless. Just completely ridiculous. I could say a lot here about how poorly she is written and acted, but it's just obvious how weak this character is.

When they get to India automagically, why is AE touching her face? I mean I know he wanted to make sure it was her, but I yelled at the tv "get your hand off my face!". Seriously, that would so not happen. I got a laugh out of that scene though, because as someone said, sometimes the sound levels are off and it is hard to hear the actors, so it sounded like Hindiana Jones said "we'll find him and then we'll get laid" when she actually said "we'll get Laila".

I hadn't seen Anthony Edwards in anything I remembered, since Revenge of the Nerds. Ha! I'm glad I suffered through these two episodes because now we get to full on destroy this show before its inevitable demise.

It just isn't even worth anything at this point. Someone made a great point earlier about Vincent's bank account. And Vincent just isn't scary enough or cunning enough to be fear-worthy. It's like they have the Nazis involved, people are getting shot, priests are dying, his wife is missing, but there is still almost no level of tension. Hank might as well be trying to track down his H&R Block agent to file before the deadline. I just don't have any reason to care whatsoever. The way Hank talks about his wife and the way the cop talks about her husband - there's just nothing there.

Lastly, it reaaaally bugs me how they have all these artifacts and rare pieces and they show zero care when handling them. Shaggy was just flipping through pages like it was a journal he picked up at Barnes & Noble. But whatever, I can't wait to rip the next episode to shreds. Don't you move show! Not an inch!

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 1:39 PM

And they cancelled the Last Resort? Gack! This show is dreadful. I never watched Anthony Edwards in anything but he is wrong for this part. He is too beige and soft looking. Nothing sexy or compelling about him that makes me root for him to win -- win what I still haven't figured out. He actually looks better in a Nazi uniform == YUCK. They are in the Arctic and the FBI agent doesn't wear a hat so we can see her hair flowing? Damn the ears -- didn't need them anyway. They covered thousands of miles in seconds -- no accounting for the cost of all of this. He and his wife have little businesses that are apparently very flush. And his staff -- they look like they are 12 and they fly all over the place in seconds as well. Maybe they discovered time travel. And everyone is willing to talk to them. I'm out.

Same here, it would've been better if they had gone for a fun, schlocky B-movie route rather than the whole, annoying "I have to find my [insert missing family member]" shtick over and over again.

LostintheHouse

LostintheHouse

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 2:13 PM

There's something that really bugs me abut this show, and I can't put my finger on it exactly.

For me, it's all the magical travelling, without apparent money or suitcase. Poof! They're in the North Pole! Poof! They're in India!

This show is stupid enough for me to be intrigued, and I'm watching for the unintentional comedy.

it would've been better if they had gone for a fun, schlocky B-movie route rather than the whole, annoying "I have to find my [insert missing family member]" shtick over and over again.

I thought it was a fun, schlocky B-Movie, just drawn out over several weeks.

Cyrax

Cyrax

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 4:27 PM

Well so far it's been more entertaining for me than Last Resort or anything else ABC has aired in this timeslot in recent years for that matter but I do get the points many of you're making. But it'll already be a miracle if all 13 episodes get to be shown anyway...

Edited by Cyrax, Feb 23, 2013 @ 4:27 PM.

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 4:36 PM

This show is brilliant. I'm definitely enjoying this parody of genre shows. All that rich mythology, the cultural sensitivity, the real life locations, the emotional stakes, and the realistic depiction of middle-class white guys and female FBI agents, it just floors me.

If I were to focus on just the best parts, it'd have to be the the awesomeness of what passes for plot and characterization, though the writing is hilarious too ("I know I don't have to explain this to you, but... let me dump this batch of exposition anyway!")

Not only do these people have unlimited money, including the assistants who fly to Europe though there is no reason to believe this expense would be refunded - and meet an old guy who speaks English well enough to exposit on whatever/everything, natch, but the only way for an FBI agent to get Edwards to agree with her coming with him is with a crushingly unprofessional sob story about how she was a nice woman who had to turn to The Gun to revenge her husband. How about the fact that he was a guy trying to leave the country with no stated reason just after his wife was kidnapped, for no stated reason, by a known terrorist? (Also lovely in that respect: at Nowhere North Pole, AE has the binoculars, the FBI agent had nothing, just asked him what he saw, to which he did not give her the binoculars to look for herself. Then he went in ahead of her - wasn't she there because she could defend them, a point she had made at the airport in between swapping sob stories? Silly woman, don't you know he is the Male Lead, therefore all your qualifications are meaningless?)

Then said FBI agent is able to travel anywhere at the drop of a hat in order to translate Hindi after learning it while in Peace Corps? I could not even laugh at that, it was so random and stupid and anviliciously lampshaded when The Female Sidekick asked about the tattoos in that weirdly "wait, is she hitting on her?" scene. (Between the bafflingly inappropriate "I google stalked you" visit late at night, the "you dont have to be alone" and the tattoo compliments I seriously thought FS was hitting on the FBI agent. It would have been vastly more interesting for the show to go there instead of the endless Fo' Mah Huzband! shtick - the wife thing is more than enough on that front.)

The best laugh was AE's shock and rage that the FBI would not bend over backwards for him to get his wife. Then he could care less about the end of the world. Seriously, are we supposed to empathize with him based on one scene they had together and the generic "love is worth everything"?

About the clock this episode, I don't get it: wasn't each clock meant to lead to the location of one new apostle? But if the woman was New Thomas, why did she literally stand on that clock? Why would she have it? It seemed like a video game where she was the boss guarding the key to the new level. And speaking of guarding, if she thought AE might have been the angel of death, why was she nowhere near as scared of him as she was when Milky Eyes came along? If her Special Perception allowed her to see Milky Eyes's true nature, why did she not perceive AE's nature as the milquetoast pathetic wife-searching dude he comes off as? Also, and this is a minor nitpick in a lulzy show, but it bothers me a lot, why were we told that she took a vow to always stand only to break it when Milky Eyes came along? I suppose that it was meant to show how overwhelmed she was, but it felt to me that it just cheapened everything she was said to stand for - while the priest was heroically back this very episode.

Edited by Crim, Feb 23, 2013 @ 4:50 PM.

nannyogg

nannyogg

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 5:09 PM

Not saying this is genius dramatic tv, it's a cheesy conspiracy theory mystery after all, but obviously made for those who pay attention. Not dumbed down enough for 'Merica to follow along = low ratings. Though as someone else mentioned, I too expected this to be a 10pm type of show & almost missed it at 8pm (actually had to do a DVR search to find on the schedule). Not a good job promoting/scheduling by ABC.

Don't think the wife "happened" upon the clock, what with the nod & significant look between her & the dealer.

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2013 @ 10:02 AM

Just to add to what have been written above:

So Riley's husband was killed by Vincent. She then joined the FBI to avenge his death. Now, if that is her main motivation, is it not the prime reason for the FBI NOT to hire her? Did the FBI not catch that during the psychological evaluation? And then she got assigned with the case with the very person who allegedly killed her husband? The other thing about FBI is the assumption that FBI agents have authority and jurisdiction - including carrying firearms - outside U.S. soil.

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2013 @ 12:00 PM

Not to mention the fact that she can't be objective. Why would the FBI let her be a lead on the investigation to capture him.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Feb 24, 2013 @ 12:43 PM

(Also lovely in that respect: at Nowhere North Pole, AE has the binoculars, the FBI agent had nothing, just asked him what he saw, to which he did not give her the binoculars to look for herself. Then he went in ahead of her - wasn't she there because she could defend them, a point she had made at the airport in between swapping sob stories? Silly woman, don't you know he is the Male Lead, therefore all your qualifications are meaningless?)

This is great. This is what I was alluding to but didn't feel like spelling out. She is written so poorly. It fits right along with women being given qualifications on paper, but then in practice, things like this happen. We've also got the reluctant white male hero yet again. Their whole vibe is wrong.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2013 @ 6:02 PM

I fell asleep at least three different times in my attempts to watch this episode. Heh. I eventually finished it. Someone mentioned upthread, IIRC, that this show is so much like that Ashley Judd show from last season that I also watched and don't remember the name of--she traipsed all over Europe trying to find her son based upon various "clues". Sort of. Yeah, this show is going to be cancelled at the end of the season, if the network lets it play out.

So many WTFs. I keep wondering why, exactly, Laila is being kept alive. It keeps Anthony Edwards on White Vincent's trail, but what's the point? Why does WV need to be trailed? Why can't he just collect the clocks and issue about the "end of the world" or whatever? Do all of the doppelgangers from the submarine need to be in place then? If so, where are the rest of them now? And still, why are there two AEs and not one reconstituted AE? The "eternal life" issue continues to bug me.

On that note, I expected the FBI agent to be the prophet/whatever, and she'd just had her face birthmark removed. I mean, on this show, any random idiotic thing can happen...especially since, again, it's not been explained why WV is not as old as he should be.

The phosphorescent "stars" on the watch also pinged my BS detector. I doubted that the process would have existed when the watch was made (I was wrong), but the luminescence wouldn't have lasted until now without restoration. Wikipedia to the rescue:

Radioluminescent paint was invented in 1908 and originally incorporated radium-226. The toxicity of radium was not initially understood, and radium-based paint saw widespread use in, for example, watches and aircraft instruments. During the 1920s and 1930s, the harmful effects of this paint became increasingly clear. A notorious case involved the "Radium Girls", a group of women who painted watchfaces and later suffered adverse health effects from ingestion. It is now recognised that radium paint requires great care in application, maintenance and disposal to avoid creation of a hazardous condition.

Radium paint used silver-doped zinc sulfide phosphor, usually doped with copper (for green light), silver (blue-green), and more rarely copper-magnesium (for yellow-orange light). The phosphor degrades relatively fast and the dials lose luminosity in several years to few decades, despite the long half-life of the Ra-226 isotope (1600 years); clocks and other devices available from antique shops and other sources therefore are not luminous anymore, though they are still radioactive and can be identified with a Geiger counter. The dials can be renovated by application of a very thin layer of fresh phosphor, without the radium content (with the original material still acting as the energy source); the phosphor layer has to be thin due to the light self-absorption in the material.

Edited by bilgistic, Feb 24, 2013 @ 6:04 PM.

JenL

JenL

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 24, 2013 @ 10:05 PM

and this is a minor nitpick in a lulzy show, but it bothers me a lot, why were we told that she took a vow to always stand only to break it when Milky Eyes came along? I suppose that it was meant to show how overwhelmed she was, but it felt to me that it just cheapened everything she was said to stand for - while the priest was heroically back this very episode.

We were told she'd taken a vow never to sit, but it was in an off-hand "urban legend has it" sort of way. When she stepped back and sat down, I just figured that the part no one else was alive to remember was that she'd taken a vow never to sit unless and until White Vincent came for the clock.

Now, how or why that's helpful, I haven't a clue. She literally marked the location of the clock by standing on it - for decades.

But mostly I was wondering about things like sleeping and bathrooms.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2013 @ 9:48 AM

I thought it was a fun, schlocky B-Movie, just drawn out over several weeks.

It would've been better if it didn't feel like a mix between Missing and Dan Brown's novels.

I'm saying that it should've been a fun action adventure instead of having Anthony Edwards going around constantly yelling "Where's my wife? I need to find my wife!".

Edited by Machuran, Feb 25, 2013 @ 9:53 AM.

JenE4

JenE4

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2013 @ 1:05 PM

Why does Vincent still have the wife? Didn't he get the clock/diamond in episode 1? There's no fathomable reason for him to be dragging this albatross wife around the world. I think the fact that Henry saw "himself" and that solving this "greatest mystery/conspiracy of all time" would launch his little magazine to Pulitzer Prize winning proportions and that his wife's love/understanding of clocks would be enough for Henry and, um, Mrs. Henry to continue their quest of Vincent and the Clock Conspiracy. But, maybe that's the direction for season 2 (if the show makes it that far).

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2013 @ 6:07 AM

We were told she'd taken a vow never to sit, but it was in an off-hand "urban legend has it" sort of way. When she stepped back and sat down, I just figured that the part no one else was alive to remember was that she'd taken a vow never to sit unless and until White Vincent came for the clock.

Since she was called The Standing Mother, the vow was definitely meant to be taken at face value, not an urban legend. Ascetic vows like this one are traditional for Hindu, and Christian hermits took them too back in the Good Hardcore Olde Tymes. The way the scene played out I doubt her sitting back was to willingly allow WV to take the clock - she must have identified him as the real Death Walkin', so she was scared, not relieved. White Vincent's Christian Apocalypse-bringer Tube!Baby evilness was so overwhelming that it made the silly heathen literally take a step back and sit down. Glory hallelujah! Of course, she wasn't just a non-Christian, she was also a woman which is the downfall of everyone ever on this show. Seriously though, the show could have avoided this craziness by just having New Thomas be Christian; there are Christians in India, obviously enough what with the active church and all.

Why does Vincent still have the wife? Didn't he get the clock/diamond in episode 1? There's no fathomable reason for him to be dragging this albatross wife around the world.

But then Edwards would want revenge, which is not as glorious as True Hetero Married Love, so relegated to characters like the FBI agent who is not the Great White Male Lead that we are supposed to root for.

Edited by Crim, Feb 28, 2013 @ 6:11 AM.