Zero Hour

• Please log in to reply

230 replies to this topic

MsLark

MsLark

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 11:12 PM

That was spectacularly...awful. Charles Dutton is the lucky one, he can go find better work! I may watch next week OnDemand, of course, won't give it the cachet of a live watch. Have a feeling the ratings will go down by a lot and they weren't good for starters. I give it two more weeks max before the Cancellation Bear eats it alive.

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 12:01 AM

Final Numbers for Ratings (up a tenth in the demo).: 1.4 demo; 6.38 total.

Have to say, not sure if I should bother to continue with this. It didn't get me and I didn't get it. I was a little bored and confused and with the ratings, I doubt it will last long and it was apparently "the lowest for an ABC in-season scripted premiere ever".

Robinhood

Robinhood

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 12:46 AM

I give it two more weeks max before the Cancellation Bear eats it alive.

I don't know. That Ashley Judd thing wasn't very good but they let it run it's course. I watched the first episode and it was so full of plot holes I couldn't get past the pilot. Usually I give things a few episodes but the holes were SO big and SO obvious it wasn't possible for me.

While not great this one at least didn't annoy the hell out of me. I'll give it a few more watches. Whether it lasts will probably depend on if things pick up and if they have anything to replace it with.

Edited by Robinhood, Feb 16, 2013 @ 12:48 AM.

Dowel Jones

Dowel Jones

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 2:21 AM

I think it has some potential. Right now, like Last Resort, it's at the crossroads between FirstRateMysteryLand and PreposterousVille. It could go either way. Personally, if I never have to hear some old coot say "Da Nassis this, da Nassis that", I will be a happy man. I did have a good laugh when, upon landing on an extremely flat tundra/ice scape, he looks out over it and sees the submarine, 200 yards away, and the FBI agent says "Do you see something?" Top flight detective work, there.

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 11:55 AM

Very Rambaldi-esque. I'll keep watching.

KaveDweller

KaveDweller

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 1:07 PM

I doubt it will last long and it was apparently "the lowest for an ABC in-season scripted premiere ever".

I know that came from TV By the Numbers, but I feel like that's a silly label for it. Ratings for broadcast TV have been going down for years. Ten years ago a 4.0 would have been considered low, but today only a few shows even get close to that high. So, of course a show that premieres in 2013 is going to be lower than shows that premiered in the past (unless it is a really big hit).

That being said, it was one of ABCs lowest rated shows this week, and shows usually drop in the second week. So, I do think it won't last very long.

I didn't realize the frozen guy was supposed to be Anthony Edwards. That makes me slightly more interesting. But I thought the writing was pretty weak overall. The scenes that took place in the 1930s were hard to watch. I'll probably keep watching though, mainly because the guy from Greek is in it. But also because I don't watch anything else in that timeslot.

LostintheHouse

LostintheHouse

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 2:29 PM

I have a terrible - and I mean terrible - track record enjoying shows that just don't make it past a few episodes. ("Do No Harm", "666 Park Avenue".) So I fear for this one. I love shows that stretch credibility and tease the imagination - and this show definitely did this for me. I've thought about the episode since it aired, and watched it again On Demand. I truly hope it makes it, without spinning into the ridiculous.

Edited because I have no idea how a comment from another thread ended up here.

Edited by LostintheHouse, Feb 17, 2013 @ 2:41 PM.

Emily Thrace

Emily Thrace

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 2:52 PM

God this was awful even with my low expectation this was Da vinci code crappola. Its a bad sign when you sigh at episode big reveal and laugh at a baddies big scene. I don't like Anthony Edwards character enough to even sit through another episode. Oh well hopefully Revolution will come back improved or I'm sol for genre this year. Time to start mailing nuts to Netflix I think.

Andiamo

Andiamo

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 4:59 PM

It's a pilot. You're supposed to be bored. Well, ok. Not. But I try to never trust pilots since it's mainly exposition. I have to say the ending was quite intriguing and I'll be back.

But will the show be back? ABC should just give up on one-hour dramas and go for something completely different in this time-slot-of-doom.

JenE4

JenE4

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 5:24 PM

To be fair to the ratings, it was Valentine's Day. Plus I almost missed it because I didn't expect it to be on at 8:00. Couldn't really ask for a worse day/time slot to premiere.

Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 5:30 PM

I didn't realize the frozen guy was supposed to be Anthony Edwards.

Huh? Damn, I completely did not get that, at all! (And I see from here I wasn't the only one.) They needed to find a way to make that much clearer for the intended impact.

I wanted to like this, because I like Anthony Edwards, but I was just too bored. I couldn't really warm up to any of the characters, and when asking myself the question why should I care about watching any more of this story, I can't come up with a reason. So I guess it's one and done on this one, for me.

and he was the original Mikael Blomkvist, right?

Thank you! I was trying to work out where I'd seen him before.

sigmaforce86

sigmaforce86

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 7:01 PM

I liked it, some familiar actors and a decent plot. I find it unbelievable in an Indiana Jones sort of way and there were enough twists to keep me interested. On the other hand ABC is the least supportive of their series and they don't seem to be promoting this much so even though I'll keep watching I'll also expect the Execs to screw us ver yet again and yank it early

nellykins

nellykins

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 2:18 PM

Johntfs Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 9:15 PM #10
"I missed recording the first 15 minutes or so. I get the feeling I didn't miss much."

You missed the show setting up storyline. First few minutes go back to Nazi Germany and a baby "born of no womb" with weird eyes. Began with Nazis and ended at a Nazi sub with a dead guy in it who looked like Anthony Edwards. Plus villian badass, Michael Nyqvist, had same weird eye under contact. I love religious conspiracy storylines. I'll watch next two episodes to see where it's going. I'm curious.

Edited by nellykins, Feb 17, 2013 @ 2:40 PM.

Kolaka

Kolaka

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 2:27 PM

I liked it, some familiar actors and a decent plot. I find it unbelievable in an Indiana Jones sort of way and there were enough twists to keep me interested.

Me too. I didn't know much about it going it so the Nazis/time/?demon? baby got me hooked. I'll watch no matter how silly it gets, this is fun for me. Plus clocks! I love clocks, especially old ones so the more clocks the better.

Plus that guy from The River, which I watched all the way to its ridiculous conclusion.

I want to work at Modern Skeptic and take advantage of its awesome travel budget.

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 3:52 PM

Realizing that some of the scenes are shot in Montreal, I am instantly hooked. The place that the transfer of money supposedly take place is Place du Canada. I walked that exact route to my former place of work everyday, including passing the footbridge from Marriott Chateau Champlain. Also I suppose there will be some Canadiana involved. As such, Hank wore Canada Goose jacket when he was in Nunavut, a very popular brand in Canada but rather unknown in the United States.

However, I do agree with totemcat above that the initial setting of the show relies too much on coincidence. If Hank is really a 'chosen one', that is that his involvement in the whole plot is something that is meant to be, then the way he got involved is too much of a coincidence. He happens to be married to a watch repairwoman and she happens to buy the 'magic' clock at the flea market.

Kolaka

Kolaka

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 4:05 PM

He happens to be married to a watch repairwoman and she happens to buy the 'magic' clock at the flea market.

Even though we saw her terrified & duct taped, I'm assuming Hank's wife is part of the conspiracy (kidnapped by the wrong side, I guess). Her shop is being broken into and she calls her husband instead of 911? Out of all the unbelievable things in the show, this for me was the most unbelievable.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 4:13 PM

I don't understand [a lot that happened] about the demon/Nazi baby, who I guess is supposed to be White Vincent (per him fiddling with his contacts). That baby would now be 75 (he was a baby in 1938), and White Vincent didn't appear to be 75, so at some point, the immortality/eternal life whammy was put on him? And the Nazis or whoever waited until he was 60ish? Why not when he was young and spry?

If it's eternal life, why are there two Anthony Edwardses?

I fell asleep the first time I watched it, so when I tried again and picked up where I thought I left off, I didn't know who the younger two were. I thought they were a couple. Yes? No? I finally figured out they work at the magazine and weren't his kids. Note to self: when you fall asleep, just start over from the beginning!

KaveDweller

KaveDweller

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 7:18 PM

I thought they were a couple. Yes? No?

I don't think they're a couple, because when the guy said they'd share a room to reduce travel costs, the girl shot down the idea. But I'm sure they'll be hooking up eventually, if the show lasts long enough.

chattycathyLA

chattycathyLA

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 2:21 AM

So ... this priceless Rosacrucean clock that has the power to change the world was just SITTING on some table at some swap meet in New York and the bad guy doesn't find it there? He WAITS until someone else buys it and then tracks her down and abducts her, but doesn't make her take him to the clock? And, her husband just HAPPENS to look exactly like some dead Rosacrucean from WWII? The term "preposterous" doesn't even BEGIN to describe this crap!

OY, I've never seen such drivel on television. I can't believe Anthony Edwards chose THIS as his "comeback" series! He must really need the money ...

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 3:20 PM

Thanks, KaveDweller! I will try to pay closer attention next episode. Har.

johntfs

johntfs

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 9:43 PM

So I saw the reprise of Zero Hour and I have decided to enjoy it. That will be difficult, since it was essentially an overwrought, incoherent, silly-ass mess, but I believe that I have found a way.

Back in the 1990s there was a paper and pencil roleplaying game called TORG. The concept of the game was that various other dimensions were invading the earth and transforms parts of it, including the inhabitants of those invaders, into beings like themselves, complete with their own cultures, magic and laws of a nature. So, one could take a perfectly functional M-16 into the Living Land, a place of dinosaurs, miracles and lizard people only to find the weapon would not fire because the Technological axiom of the Living Land was too low and primitive to work. You also tended to forget what that green stuff in your pockets was since currency was also a little too advanced.

One of the fan-made supplements for the game detailed Illithicar. I have therefore chosen to believe that Zero Hour takes place in Illithicar so that I can watch the show without constantly interrupting myself with "Well, that's just stupid. "Wait a minute, why didn't she just..." or "Oh, for fuck's sake!"

pjamma

pjamma

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 9:17 PM

Shaggy and Velma (the sidekicks) are my favorites so far. I will enjoy watching them be the meddling kids that (probably) foil the plan.

I will say it took me like three tries to get through the episode.. The first two times I was doing other stuff and I really missed everything. The third time I was focused and I was like "huh, that happened" and it was so much more interesting. I'll watch the entire run. Ever since the dissapointing end to the Rambaldi story on Alias I have longed for a series where the mythology makes sense and has a satisfactory conclusion. Crossing my fingers.

Edited by pjamma, Feb 19, 2013 @ 9:32 PM.

heyjamiesays

heyjamiesays

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 3:29 AM

I don't mind this one so much. Like a few others, I came for Anthony Edwards and Scott Michael Foster and am going to stay for awhile. I know the whole Nazi mystery thing has been done and there were spots where I found myself internally snarking, but I still find the time period fascinating, I got an Angels & Demons vibe from it and I actually enjoyed that movie (although am not that into the books or the Da Vinci Code movie), and I like to see people play with ordinary things like clocks/mirrors/etc. and give them a more mystical, ominous meaning. It wasn't a perfect pilot by far but maybe the kinks will start to work out in a few more episodes. I'm not going to rule it out yet.

notwisconsin

notwisconsin

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 7:47 PM

Having worked on a "Skeptics" magazine myself, I know that they enjoy being vicious as to the nutcase brigade types. The international world conspiracy shit isn't nearly as interesting as the genuine history or scientific background.

I find the "catholic church is the one true faith" plots boring and would really be interested if someone would do the methodists or eithical culture society.

watergate

watergate

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 8:44 PM

Why is the background music so loud. I cant hear the "actors"

johntfs

johntfs

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 9:07 PM

I keep hearing Jon Voight in my head. "And that will lead to another clock and that will lead to another clock!"

Jupiter84

Jupiter84

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 9:11 PM

This show tries to do too much in an episode.

Hank flies to India, then it seems like 2 seconds later the F.B.I agent is right behind him. There is absolutely no lead up to some of these scenes, so I guess I have to use my imagination to figure things out. Is there a shortage of F.B.I agents or something, b/c why is there only 1 agent looking for this dangerous terrorist.

I am more interested in seeing the two employees(not remotely interested in finding out their names) putting the pieces together of this very confusing puzzle than I am in Hank finding his wife, which is bad.

nellykins

nellykins

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 10:07 PM

I was confused. Editing felt choppy. Sub is sinking and then WHAM both of them are somewhere else. And she's a bit Supergirlie FBI Tattoo chick? I don't know. I did like the assistants a lot. Never saw Greek but really like Scott Michael Foster. And what the hell was that wrapped around Dutton's neck? Was he in a hospital? Doctor did that? LOL One more week to see
if it makes any sense. Ooohh and the whole Hindi translation thing with the gnarly foot Apostle. Yeah that felt real! Not. But then she IS Supergirlie FBI Tattoo chick?

Princess Lucky

Princess Lucky

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 10:25 PM

This show tries to do too much in an episode.

I was confused. Editing felt choppy.

Agreed. That said, I kind of dig that because I'm sitting there watching and I go "wait, what? Weren't those guys in Germany last week?" or "wait, what? Hank's in India?" or "wait, what? Didn't Charles S. Dutton die?" or "wait, what? A submarine?" so the show always keeps me on my toes.

Seriously though I like that they don't waste time. Boom, boom, boom. The episode was fun but I still couldn't follow the entire thing to be honest. I did pick up on the fact Vincent is the Angel of Death before they actually said it though, that's something. And I'm intrigued by Nazi Hank. Hm.

Oh and it's always fun to see (and hear) Zach Grenier, he brought some flair to the proceedings.

I'll keep watching (again, mostly because I have an hour to kill before Person of Interest and because I like Anthony Edwards and Cappie).

KaveDweller

KaveDweller

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 11:25 PM

I actually liked tonight's episode better than the pilot. That's not to say I'm totally on board, it still doesn't have the best writing. The problem with shows having big conspiracies is that they never live up to the hype. But hopefully they'll at least get a chance to sort of explain the doppelganger thing.

I noticed that the missing wife's name is Leila. Wasn't this the same name as the girl who was kidnapped on The Event? I was getting flashbacks when Anthony Edwards kept talking about her/asking where she was.