Zero Hour

• Please log in to reply

230 replies to this topic

Strega

Strega

Network Executive

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 3:54 AM

Per ABC

New thriller "Zero Hour" stars Anthony Edwards ("ER") in his return to series television. Edwards' character, Hank Galliston, has spent his life debunking myths, only to be drawn into one of the most compelling mysteries in human history after his wife's shocking disappearance. "Zero Hour" will premiere on Thursday, February 14 at 8:00 p.m., ET.

I'm sure people involved with the show have nothing to do with the PR but "one of the most compelling mysteries in human history"? Really? Dial it down, guys.

Arynm

Arynm

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 7:43 PM

I know it's early, but I feel like I know nothing about this show. The press release sounds good, I will tune in and see how it goes, but I would like a little more info.

Cameltoes

Cameltoes

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 11:01 PM

I just saw a promo on ABC. I didn't get a good feel for what the show is actually about but I immediately thought The Davinci Code. However, the producers are adamant that it's NOT! The Davinci Code.

"[I thought], What's the coolest MacGuffin you can come up with," he said, explaining to reporters that he started with the last three frames of the season and reverse engineered the story, adding elements like the Nazi story along the way.

I usually roll my eyes whenever a series creator claims to have the whole story planned out but since they are envisioning the show as one the resets every season, I'm optimistic. At worst, it gets canceled and the mystery is resolved whether or not the show is renewed.

Edited by Cameltoes, Jan 14, 2013 @ 11:02 PM.

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 11:38 PM

Evil nazis, conspiracies, secret societies, a treasure hunt, and the catholic church. Now, where have I seen this before? I think I'll pass.

Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2013 @ 8:24 AM

Season One of 'Prison Break' (when Scheuring was actually paying proper attention to the show) was great, so I'm definitely going to give this a try. If he's got this whole season planned out (as he basically did with S1 of PB), and will then come up with a new premise each season (if it gets renewed) rather than stretching out the old one until it's the rotting corpse of a beaten horse, then I could see that working.

Numb Nut

Numb Nut

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2013 @ 2:42 PM

Just watched the pilot on Hulu and lost interest before the hour was up. The show felt too dumbed down, like it's going for a kid audience instead of DaVinci Code fans (and I am in neither category). I may watch another ep to see if it gets good but I have a feeling "Red Widow" will be more my speed.

Hughes

Hughes

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2013 @ 9:54 PM

I watched the pilot on Hulu...uh, yeah...I don't think I'll be back. It was nice seeing Anthony Edwards again, but even he couldn't salvage what was a pretty weak storyline.

hotspurious

hotspurious

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2013 @ 11:09 PM

I tried, but this plot is pretty stupid. I like some of the actors, too, so it's too bad. I got to "the 12 apostles" and rolled my eyes. That was it for me.

I can't believe Jacinda Barrett is 40. That makes me feel really, really old.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2013 @ 12:54 PM

Methinks this topic might me better in Sci-fi/Action Adventure... at least, judging from that laughable and really really dumb pilot. Though I gotta say I was kind of fascinated by the whole hour, in a carwreck kind of way : it was badly written, it was weak reheated DanBrownesque junk, none of the characters connected in any way, and you gotta love a skeptic magazine with a staff and offices bigger than your average newspaper. Science fiction, indeed.

johntfs

johntfs

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 9:15 PM

I missed recording the first 15 minutes or so. I get the feeling I didn't miss much.

Jupiter84

Jupiter84

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 9:16 PM

Well that was interesting.

Not sure what to make of it, there were some parts that I can see turning into a decent mystery/scifi show but it needs a lot of work.

Since it was just the pilot, I will give it at least 3 more episodes before I decide whether to ditch it or not.

MzTeaze

MzTeaze

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 9:20 PM

I watched and was rolling my eyes while the old dude in Europe was explaining the plot, er, mystery. Was upset to see Charles Dutton stabbed in the first 30 minutes.

Not sure this is worth watching at all.

jane08

jane08

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 9:43 PM

I thought it was okaaaay, I guess. Kind of cheesy, but I'll watch at least a few more episodes to see where it goes. I do like Michael Scott Foster, ever since Greek. After the mess that was The River, though, I 'm not sure I trust his judgment with TV series.

Princess Lucky

Princess Lucky

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 10:33 PM

I don't even know what I watched but I do love Anthony Edwards and the guy from Greek, plus the FBI agent seems solid. I'm big on conspiracies and such so this is up my alley but I'm weary about a) the pace and b) the rate of the reveals. It might get on my nerves by week 3. The pace was good for the pilot though so let's see. And I gotta say the reveal of the frozen Anthony Edwards was a cool moment. Not that I understood it. But still. Next week I might try to watch without also being online at the same time.

Frankly I don't think I would be watching this live under other circumstances, but now that 30 Rock is over I need something to fill the 8 o'clock hour before Person of Interest starts. This looks like it'll do a decent job, if only because of the cast and the kitsch premise.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 11:31 PM

It... wasn't too bad, but there is something about it that just left me feeling underwhelmed. I think it was mainly the writing; it just felt too silly and cheesy; and I feel like it's basically a cheap version of The Da Vinci Code and the National Treasure franchise. And I didn't warm up to any of the characters, except maybe the lead's side-kicks.

Wasn't a huge watcher of ER, so I'm not too famailar with Anthony Edwards. He wasn't bad, but there were times I felt he underplayed things. I don't want him to be over-dramatic, but there were times I felt like instead of his wife being kidnapped, he was acting like his car was towed or he got a speeding ticket. The supporting cast was good. Carmen Ejogo as the FBI agent was probably my favorite. Also cool seeing Addison Timlin again. Haven't seen Jacinda Barrett in a bit; she looks a bit older since the last time I saw her. I remember Michael Nyqvist from the last Mission Impossible film and he was the original Mikael Blomkvist, right?

Bummed that Charles Dutton got dispatched at the half-way point.

I'll probably stick with it, but I'm not optimistic. Frankly, I'm pretty sure it's doomed anyway. It feel like ages since ABC has had a successful show in this time-slot.

totemcat

totemcat

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 2:14 AM

I don't know I like some parts. I almost didn't watch it because I figured it wouldn't be around long but gave in because I like this type of show with the puzzles leading to more clues, etc.

I like Anthony Edwards' character and his skepticism. "It's not a treasure map". (Look like one to me too)
What I didn't like was how contrived a lot of it was.

Foremost being:
He married a woman who likes clocks who happened across this particular clock that leads him to his very own doppelganger.
I think there could have been a better way for the clock to find it way to them besides happenstance.

It felt sloppy when it should have been clever - I'll still watch more episodes though.

stonehaven

stonehaven

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 6:59 AM

I watched this with a friend and thought it was really bad....I kept my snark quiet because my friend loves stuff like this..When even he started snarking on it, I knew it was bad...and then it made me reach for a beer to start the sci-fi cliche game....
I don't think a show has ever made me reach for a beer that fast....but it got more fun with a buzz on..

Haleth

Haleth

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 7:37 AM

Oh my, that was dreadful. But in a train wreck kind of dreadful that you have to watch just for the horror. Until it gets cancelled.

Thanks for the confirmation that Anthony Edwards stumbled upon frozen Anthony Edwards. He is so common looking I wasn't sure if the frozen guy had his face or was just another man with no unusual facial characteristics. So not only are the writers stealing from the DaVinci Code, they are also recycling the Boys from Brazil?

molshoop

molshoop

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 8:29 AM

The Da Vinci Code + Damien + Snopes = Crappola

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 11:05 AM

I can't believe Jacinda Barrett is 40. That makes me feel really, really old.

Makes me feel old too. Aren't they on like Real World 36 or something now? Jacinda was on Real World 4! It still gets called one of the most boring seasons ever because their wasn't much drama. All I remember was that she was a model back then and Neil getting his tongue bit off of course. I hope this show works out for her but it sounds a little too Davinci Code for me to be all that interested in the long run.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 12:20 PM

Not a good start ratings-wise: about 6 million viewers and only 1.3 in the 18-49 demo. Apparently, lowest premiere for ABC ever. I guess maybe being Valentine's Day could have played a part, but I suspect there's just a lack of interest overall and I doubt it will change. I just wonder if ABC will at least let it run it's course (see: Last Resort) or will it pull it and leave viewers hanging (see: 666 Park Avenue.)

Tarasme

Tarasme

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 1:08 PM

I decided last week that I would watch last night because a. I love genre shows and b. there are only so many times I can watch re-runs of Duck Dynasty with my kids while VampDiaries and POI share my real time DVR space while recording. So- I recorded and we watched at 8.

Ugh.

Whoever made the decision to dress Anthony Edwards in purple should strongly consider never doing so again.

Those making the decision to actually reveal 2/3 of the mystery within 5 minutes while the story was set in 1938 should talk to the person never dressing AE in purple again about how to move forward from such decisions.

The whole magazine reporter/ intern/ Scooby gang? Double ugh.

Nazi Baby clone/zombie/whatever?- cool

Reveal of Michael Nyqvist as Nazi Baby clone/zombie/whatever? (whether he's the same one or not)- not so cool so damn soon

Why on earth would AE ask eskimo pilot if the man that EP had spoken to about traveling to New Bartholomew was with a woman? Even for the scared husband, the problems with this scenario boggle the mind- didn't AE just get off of the first commercial plane that could get him to the frozen tundra? But MN would have dragged Jacinda/ Laila around so that EP would have actually seen her? What?

Blink and miss Charles Dutton.

Show, good way to ruin what could have been a fun and interesting, though well traveled, concept. And I actually enjoyed/ was entertained by The River.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 2:43 PM

More Cappie, less everything else.

Was I supposed to realize that our main character was looking at a frozen version of himself? Because I couldn't tell just by looking.

Willow2tree

Willow2tree

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 3:07 PM

Wow. I...liked it. A lot. Which pretty much means instant cancellation. But I'll stick around for the duration. Mostly to see what bedazzled plot they pull out every 15 minutes or so.

mountainair

mountainair

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 3:48 PM

I wasn't going to watch but decided to DVR it for the heck of it. I watched Big Bang Theory first so I was able to Fast Forward through most of the commercials which I think helped me stick with it.

My first impression was, ".hey it's that dude from ER" so that helped me stick with it as well.

I didn't think it was too bad but was disappointed we lost the priest so quickly,

I had no idea Anthony Edwards was looking at a frozen version of himself until I came here and the baby with the creepy eyes really creeped me out because my own 6 month old woke up crying and I was kind of freaked out to go into his room and look into his eyes :)

I'll try it out one more week mostly because other than the Big Bang theory, that's all I've got going for me on Thursday nights.

DrLar

DrLar

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 4:14 PM

I thought for a second that the frozen nazi church member was going to open his eyes, since a second earlier they said that they uncovered the secret of eternal life...

Anyway I give the show a shot, and I think this would make a good mini-series, I don't see it going for more than 12 episodes (pun intended)

basiltherat

basiltherat

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 5:10 PM

Why does every conspiracy theory drama have to use Nazis every damn time?! We've got Nazis meet DaVinci Code AND some chick named Laila who is being desperately sought (never a good sign). Missed the first 15 minutes or so, so I may be back for more (I'm a masochist).

MrWhyt

MrWhyt

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 6:33 PM

Why does every conspiracy theory drama have to use Nazis every damn time?!

Nazis are an easy villain, nobody is going to complain about a poor depiction of them. The Nazis were also into all sorts of weird stuff, from scientific experiments to the occult.

JenE4

JenE4

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 6:45 PM

As far as mystery shows go, I'm sold! I mean, I watch Deception, Revenge, and formally 666 Park Ave, so my bar for writing is set pretty low. I thought this show was pretty darn good in comparison! But I agree on the annoying "Scooby gang"; good call, Tarasme! I also agree with Totemcat that the whole clock set-up was pretty forced. I mean the guy had to have seen her buy the clock, so why didn't he just buy it first or offer her more money than she paid, which as she's buying it to stock her shop, she no doubt would have! And she owns the freaking clock shop, so instead of breaking in and kidnapping her, again, just buy the clock! Granted, the clock was at her home, but he was already ransacking the whole place for it instead of just asking her whether she had any other merchandise. Again, I know they had to set up the entire plot line, but it just seemed unnecessary--especially since the the FBI agent repeatedly said the "bad guy" (I can't remember names yet) was incredibly wealthy. If you're trying to find the greatest treasure in the history of the world--or iris pigment serum or whatever the hell is going on--you'd think he's be a little more stealthy or not bring unnecessary attention upon himself.

preeya

preeya

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 10:58 PM

Too bad it isn't on cable. I'd keep watching in hopes of seeing Addison Timlin reveal her boobs, ala Californication.