Storage Wars: New York

• Please log in to reply

46 replies to this topic

queenofsnark

queenofsnark

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 2:58 PM

I watched a couple of epis of this last night..I am a huge fan of the original SW. This show slightly annoys me as native New Yorker (now living in KY). These bidders feel like caricatures...the stereotype of what people from other parts of the country think NYers are.

Kmusky

Kmusky

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 1:53 AM

Intuition, have you seen a show called Jersey Shore? If not, I suggest you avoid it. You'll be horrified.

And just so you know, Chris, the one who actually used the "g-word", has the last name of Morelli, so he is of Italian descent. I think he was referring to the modern meaning of Guido, which is a person from the tri-state area, not necessarily Italian-American, who apes urban culture, especially black urban culture, to a ridiculous degree. The comment was more about Mike's fondness for ugly jewelry and backwards ball caps, rather than his ethnicity.

Drbeauty

Drbeauty

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 7:54 AM

Yeah intuition I think the Jersey Shore kids are at fault for de stigmatizing the word. I can see why it's so offensive to you, sorry.

JezHo

JezHo

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 1:05 PM

I'm 100% Sicilian from Long Island and the Guido thing went right past me.

And it's been at least 20 years since I heard the "Sicilians are Africans" debate.

NYTeacher

NYTeacher

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 2:40 PM

I didnt watch the original version of the show but tuned into the Harlem episode because I work in the neighborhood. I'm not sure I'll watch again.

I was born and raised in NYC, I encounter a reverse stereotype "You don't seem like you're from New York. Where's your accent?". I've heard this from people from other states, AND from other New Yorkers. I have an accent typical to my neighborhood in Manhattan, it just doesn't fit other's perceptions of a "New York" accent.

Intuition

Intuition

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 4:35 PM

I think Manhattan is a different story from the boroughs because so many people that live there aren't originally from there. And accents are changing in NY because of that, I think. Mike is from the Bronx and from his accent I can pinpoint the exact neighborhood where he grew up. He's from the East Bronx, possibly that little area near Pelham Bay Park by the water known as "Country Club". I knew that before he even said he grew up near the water! I grew up in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, which is right above Manhattan, so I probably sound more like a native Manhattanite of a few decades ago. East Bronx and West Bronx have different accents.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 9:52 PM

Let's move away from discussing stereotypes that irritate us and back to discussing the show, please.

Intuition

Intuition

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 8:27 AM

It looks like Mike is not just an actor but owns a consignment shop in Mamaroneck, NY.

Also, his father, Michael "Tex" Braiotta, who appeared on the Connecticut episode, died suddenly on December 21, 2012. He was only 56. RIP.

Totale

Totale

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 1:14 PM

Is this show done with already? I watched a couple OD and thought they were OK, but when I went to stick it on the DVR there were none upcoming, not even repeats (not like AETV repeats everything dozens of times like they want to strangle it into the ground, or anything).

Beloved Aunt

Beloved Aunt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 4, 2013 @ 1:38 PM

Coming back next week: July 9th.

From the ads, it looks like they added a new character.

Kmusky

Kmusky

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 1:03 AM

No, the show does not need an oversize Hester.

Nena

Nena

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 3:06 AM

I remember reading, maybe in the main SW thread, that the guys' shop had been hit hard by the hurricane, so I was happy to see them back.  Really don't need Lurch, they can send him back to the flea market, plsthxkbye.

MsFlibbles

MsFlibbles

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 25, 2013 @ 12:36 AM

Chris and Tad are starting to bug the piss out of me. They were so annoying last night.

At least this show actually shows the buyers selling their stuff.  Wish the original SW did that.

I hope we never see Lurch again. Every time he would smack a locker I wanted someone to smack him with a skillet.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2013 @ 11:20 AM

At least this show actually shows the buyers selling their stuff.  Wish the original SW did that.

Barry sold some of his stuff in the earlier seasons, but that put him at a disadvantage in the closing tallies because his were the only realistic numbers. I especially remember his $10 cuckoo clock because the Texas version of the show valued one just like it for $50 (without even seeing if it worked). I like the realistic prices better than the "to the right buyer, you could get up to..." BS, but I'm finding this version a little formulaic.

Beloved Aunt

Beloved Aunt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 1:51 PM

Wow, what an abrupt heel turn for The Fog.  Went from Joe P.'s quirky sidekick last week to full-blown heel this week.

Maybe I'm just a cheapskate but my couch (OK, it's technically a loveseat) was bought from Ikea for $379.  I can't imagine paying $400 or $450 for just an ottoman.  BTW, I agree with the expert, the ottoman made by the talky guy of Chris and Tad was better than the pumpkin bird-cage one made by the other guy.

Gregzilla

Gregzilla

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 31, 2013 @ 6:35 PM

I liked this turn for The Fog. Better than Lurch, for sure. Hope they bring Fogman back.

Gregzilla

Gregzilla

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 6, 2013 @ 11:03 PM

.... okay, I kinda liked Lurch this time around. Him just tackling the crap out of that Football dummy kinda put a smile on my face.