AS2-10: "All Stars and Stripes" 2013.01.03

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

166 replies to this topic

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 7:16 AM

She got the infection while she was in the service. It's still in her body and affecting her vision, which is getting worse.

mk26

mk26

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 9:13 AM

Thanks for the info, whoever you are!

pepperclove

pepperclove

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 10:31 PM

I just watched this episode on my DVR, so I have to add my thoughts. I thought when we first saw the four women that this was fairer than many of the non-professional-model challenges in that there weren't huge differences in size among the women. Obviously, Anthony Ryan's was the biggest, but I think his dress added at least ten pounds, probably more like fifteen or twenty, and made her look much bigger than she actually was. On the other hand, Josh's client was really short, and that would have been an issue for some designers. Josh certainly had to consider very different proportions than those of a model, and he did a great job with that - so much so that her height became a complete non-issue. I would have given the win to Uli, but I didn't mind Josh winning either.

Other than that I agree with what almost everyone has said that AR absolutely should have been eliminated for demonstrating no clue how to deal with a different body type than a model and making an attractive woman look unattractive.

tvprime

tvprime

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 11:09 AM

Since the fallout with Gretchen winning, I think the PR producers are just ushering in the popular contestants to win. We've seen this with Mondo and Anya. Now, we're getting it with AR.

AR's dress was just awful and made that poor woman look bigger than she actually was. She looked 10 times better in her T-shirt and jeans. He should have been sent home but since he's the designated winner, we're stuck with him.

Talent is obviously subjective, and the real talent that's being evaluated here is the ability to come up with a clever idea and execute it in six hours. Here's what I'd like to see: a Celebrity Project Runway, along the lines of Top Chef Masters, where Michael Kors, Georgina Chapman, Isaac Mizrahi and some of the other famous designers who have guest-judged over the years compete for charity. I'd love to see what demonstrably talented, established designers would come up with under the same ridiculous time constraints and challenge parameters.

This can't happen. None of these people have touched a sewing machine or attempted to make a pattern in over 10 or 20 years. Some of them never knew how to sew or make patterns to begin with. In the real world, all of that stuff is contracted out to real pattern makers and sewing companies. Most designers just conceptualize the collections and then handle the business side of things. They have staff (in US & China) to handle the hands on stuff.

Edited by tvprime, Jan 9, 2013 @ 11:10 AM.

quangtran

quangtran

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 12:07 PM

Since the fallout with Gretchen winning, I think the PR producers are just ushering in the popular contestants to win.

But for that to be true, we're going to have to ignore last season where "judge's pet" Chris and official fan-favourite Elena were beaten by Dmitri. And would producers just guess who the popular contestants will be while filming? I don't buy it.

Bebecat

Bebecat

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 12:25 PM

I don't believe they have a pre-determined winner. I think they just have a lot of bad or weird taste on the panel.

Especially on regular PR, the collections can make or break a designer. Not sure if All Stars does collections?

Anyway, I still cannot believe that Dimitri was not a fan favorite...

tvprime

tvprime

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 12:31 PM

But for that to be true, we're going to have to ignore last season where "judge's pet" Chris and official fan-favourite Elena were beaten by Dmitri. And would producers just guess who the popular contestants will be while filming? I don't buy it.

In the case of AR, he was popular from his season, especially with his cancer story.

Reality tv is more crafted than we think. I think the producers start the filming with a "favorite" in mind, and then praise them during the judging. While the show is airing, they are well aware of the social media/internet buzz. If they haven't chosen the favorite correctly to win the regular season, they can always correct the mistake and have them to win during an All Stars season.

Is it any wonder than the first All Stars corrected the Gretchen/Mondo debacle?

Just my opinion.

Edited by tvprime, Jan 9, 2013 @ 12:36 PM.

quangtran

quangtran

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 2:09 PM

AR was fairly well-liked in his season, but his personality and design sense is far too low key for the producers to designate him the predetermined all-star. His first booting sparked no where near the amount of fan outrage that erupted when Mondo lost to Gretchen. If anything, the producers would ideally cater the season around Uli being the eventually winner, since she was widely considered robbed twice: once in her first season and again in that first All-Star special.

nicenessness

nicenessness

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 3:18 PM

The producers have the ability to edit you to look like a good guy or a bad guy.

iguessnot

iguessnot

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 4:51 PM

Since the fallout with Gretchen winning, I think the PR producers are just ushering in the popular contestants to win. We've seen this with Mondo and Anya. Now, we're getting it with AR.

This isn't American Idol and it is not aired live. This is history and whatever opinions the judges had were not affected by our current opinions.

Bebecat

Bebecat

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 5:00 PM

I did not care for Mondo or most of his designs in either season. He cried too much.

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 6:02 PM

The topic of this thread is the episode. If you want to talk about people's popularity or themes over seasons, there are other threads for that. The posts starting with #155 down to this one of mine are off-topic.

chailey

chailey

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 10:39 AM

I'm built like Anthony Ryan's client, and I couldn't have made it down the runway in that dress without bursting into humiliated tears.

His client had far more restraint than I would have. It's hard, because the client may like their designer, and not want to send them home, or maybe they just suffer from over-politeness, but in any case, it can be difficult to be honest in that situation. He wasn't rude to her, like Ven was to his client. But damn, I would have complained to the judges that the dress made me look like a cow. What the hell was he thinking?

Speaking of unhappy clients, Uli's client didn't smile or look that happy on the runway, despite the fact that the dress looked good on her, and moved like a dream. Maybe she was upset that it wasn't purple?

I loved the color on Emilio's dress and couldn't really see on my tv the color variations or mistakes that the judges commented on.

There are no words for Mizrahi's judging (which, to tell the truth, has been off, imo, on other occasions this season). I can't believe he made that comment to the other judge. What was he trying to say? That some designers don't want their clients to look their best? She looked quite startled at his vehemence. Wish that they had shown the whole judging session.

I thought Josh's dress was cute, and I was surprised that he only used the leopard print as an embellishment. Agree that it was a bit young for her and not necessarily suitable for her event, but at least it looked like a dress that it would be fun to wear out for an evening.

Rhettwoods

Rhettwoods

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 5:57 PM

With AR's client specifically requesting a strapless dress, there are only so many ways you can go if you are busty and curvy. As seen in many strapless wedding dresses, you bone it to the hilt -- kind of like a bustier, which also gives the client a waist. Unfortunately, that also has the effect of emphasizing the bust line because you've made everything else smaller. I wish he could have shown her how she could have almost had the effect of strapless without actually being strapless by having a wide deep V neck, or wide deep oval neckline. Maybe she hadn't been busty long enough to know how to dress for her new size, but a designer should have known what to do. If you don't at least hint at a waist, it looks like you have no waist. I don't particularly like a cinched waist on a larger woman, but something that skims the waist with panels, darts, etc. shows curves. AR's client looked to me like she was going to a dressy toga party. While the idea of putting the dark fabric on top may have been okay, you then had to put a lighter fabric in the middle which just emphasized her stomach area. Ask a woman if she wants to look like she has big boobs or a big stomach.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 8:14 PM

With AR's client specifically requesting a strapless dress, there are only so many ways you can go if you are busty and curvy. As seen in many strapless wedding dresses, you bone it to the hilt -- kind of like a bustier, which also gives the client a waist. Unfortunately, that also has the effect of emphasizing the bust line because you've made everything else smaller. I wish he could have shown her how she could have almost had the effect of strapless without actually being strapless by having a wide deep V neck, or wide deep oval neckline.

I agree about that. Unfortunately, he chose to give her a dress with all the disadvantages of strapless - emphasizing the bustline and not providing coverage for bra straps - without actually making the dress strapless, which would have at least shown her shoulders to good advantage.

I suspect that he really didn't understand that the dress was going to fit differently with a strapless bra under it, since he didn't appear to realize that she wasn't configured the same as the mannequin.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

• Interests:Left wing politics, sci-fi, sports, competitive reality shows

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 1:53 AM

I haven't been fond of this entire season, mostly because of the unreasonable praise of Anthony Ryan. So, I didn't watch this one when it originally aired. I just stumbled in on the re-air. I don't think I've hated an hour of television more in my entire life. I didn't like the theme, since I hate the celebration of militarism in all its shapes and forms. It's really offensive to push this martial bullshit so hard. It always turns me off, as do most attempts at emotional manipulation. I didn't feel touched. I felt sickened.

Then, I saw the hideousness that was AR's "garment", and I knew the inevitable was on the way. He would be saved, come hell or high water. The only good thing I can say about it is that they didn't find some excuse to send Emilio home, even though AR had wrapped that woman in a piece of fabric and called it a day. Seriously, Anya did better work than that.

As for the difference in sizes between the women in these "real women" challenges, I couldn't care less. If we're going off the "PC" track, the fact that these idiots buy into designing things that only look good on the form of an underfed 12yo boy is their own fault. It makes me laugh to see their stupidity and hatred of the female form backfire on them.

Edited by BDArizona, Jan 15, 2013 @ 1:53 AM.

nicenessness

nicenessness

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 2:17 AM

As for the difference in sizes between the women in these "real women" challenges, I couldn't care less. If we're going off the "PC" track, the fact that these idiots buy into designing things that only look good on the form of an underfed 12yo boy is their own fault. It makes me laugh to see their stupidity and hatred of the female form backfire on them.

Did any of them say or do anything during this episode that indicated that they hated the (non-fashion-model) female form?