Food Court Wars: Are You Kidding Me?

• Please log in to reply

215 replies to this topic

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2013 @ 11:09 PM

I thought the same thing. Although, I've always maintained that if you are going to stop people with records from participating in the economy (getting a job), you might as well have a life sentence for every crime.

I had mixed feelings about the Tamale people. Sometimes the dream doesn't wind up the way you thought it would. Sometimes you end up selling tamales at the fair and not in your own store. They are five years older than I am. Resaurant work is not easy. I would not want to be starting out at that level at 65 (and I think the husband was older?). I don't think anyone mentioned the capital required during the show, but it makes sense - a year's rent is one thing, about a license, upfront costs, labor, etc.? I hope FN is not setting up a bunch of people for bankruptcy. Also, the man didn't seem to get the idea of selling those darned tamales, not just giving them away. No expression or excitement from him, just a lot of emotion. I don't know. I wish them well and I wish them the strength to see the dream through for a few years at least.

I missed the part about the publicity event the tamale people had. Why did Tyler say it was a wasted effort? Don't you often invite some movers and shakers to an event in the expectation that they will get the word out to more people?  Did they invite the wrong type of guest? This what I get for flipping to Hoarder repeats for a minute.

The tamale team had a specific event they set up through the state Department of Tourism somehow, but only 25 people were invited/otherwise showed up. The po' boy team, on the other hand, passed out samples & spread the word outside a concert or another public event of some type, with a larger audience guaranteed.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2013 @ 11:36 PM

Team Tamale had a lot of experience in the restaurant business according to the article, it looks like they even owned one before.

Team Po'Boy has less experience, with most of it in the kitchen and on the stage.

I doubt the FN paid off Team Po'Boy.  They could have just declared the other team the winner.  Who would know when it's that close?  Or they could make up some bogus special extra that gives Tamale the win.  Not that we've ever seen that before on FN. /snark

What's interesting is how quickly this show seems to be produced.  Erika posted in March that she & Stevo were casting for the show via Skype.  In June, she announced that they were on the show. And it airs July 7th and on the show they include a 2 month follow-up.  Makes it sound like they filmed in April.  Very quick.

buttersister

buttersister

Stalker

Posted Jul 7, 2013 @ 11:57 PM

And shady! Winner bait and switch is nothing compared with the actual prize not being a food court restaurant, but a year's lease at one (in locations that are not exactly the A markets). Food Court Skirmishes is more like it. And my real question is how FN got stuck with this lame GR product-ha!

Edited by buttersister, Jul 7, 2013 @ 11:59 PM.

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 1:11 AM

Found this: https://www.facebook...258874584227480

It looks like they've done some catering in addition to their gas station storefront. They even have a name for their patrons (Shuckies) and a little corn husk mascot.

I'm curious about the 'prize' as well. You don't win a food court restaurant, you just get the rent. I wonder if there is any business help, if they tell the winners to use SCORE or the local business school or something so they don't fall flat in 3 months? If not, it seems that most of the winners will lose out, probably before the year is over.

These folks seem like decent people. I hope FN hasn't effed them royally with this 'gift.'

btw - Who would have thought that tamales were a big thing in Mississippi?

Edited by aliyameadow, Jul 8, 2013 @ 1:15 AM.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 1:30 AM

"personal reasons" WTF? What kind of personal reasons would stop them from opening the restaurant after going on a reality show to get it?

I missed the part about the publicity event the tamale people had. Why did Tyler say it was a wasted effort?

Because they only invited 25 people, it was a ton of work for only 25 people.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 1:41 AM

Erin updated her Facebook to mention that the previous winner closed after a few months in business so they decided it wasn't worth the risk to move to Meridian which is about three hours away. She mentioned a lot was cut out and they are hoping to open a place closer to Oxford.

MoeBee

MoeBee

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 6:45 AM

That explanation makes sense, I guess. As others pointed out, there are a lot more costs involved in opening and running a restaurant other than rent. The owners would probably have to invest thousands of dollars just to get the thing open. It didnt seem like these two had that kind of money to invest, let alone having to move three hours from home to do it. Although it begs the question of why you would enter this thing in the first place since you knew of the location from the start.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 8:48 AM

Erika: Stevo and I declined the winnings based on our decision NOT to move to meridian for a food court restaurant, and also upon the fact that we would like to open one closer to home, and that Mary and Thomas would be much better suited for that environment. We are very happy with our decision, and kinda hate that we got cut out of so much of the show, but ya know what? We won that thang. Freaking killed it. You didn't even see the half of it

I'm guessing for the publicity.  If the timeline is correct - casting in March, shooting in April - they might have just jumped into it without too much thinking and once they won, they realized that they'd have to give up their steady jobs and take a big risk that they aren't prepared for.

mlp

mlp

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 12:00 PM

I was surprised to see this show come back because the pilot last year wasn't very good.  I don't expect it to last.  I don't know what's happened to Tyler.  He used to be good looking.  He needs to shave.

I liked the black couple and was happy they eventually got their big chance.  The original winner was a mess.  She knew she was going to compete for a huge prize and be on TV and she showed up in old jeans, a shirt with a skull and crossbones and too wide neck that showed off her sunburn.  She looked trashy.  She didn't sound dumb though so I don't know why she thought her appearance didn't matter.  I wouldn't have bought food from someone who looked like that.

grneyedldy

grneyedldy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 12:53 PM

I actually thought the Po Boys team was better. I was sooooo sick of hearing the retired couple whine about needing to win to prove they weren't failures. Also, I know this is shallow, but that constant dumb look on the husband's face just rubbed me wrong.

And why did the wife have to clean the gas station bathrooms? Did they own the gas station? Or was that a for pure pity factor?

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 1:09 PM

No, they didn't own the gas station. They said that part of the deal of them having space inside the gas station was in return for her cleaning the bathrooms, IIRC.

Jeffurry

Jeffurry

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 1:11 PM

Fifty-five minutes into the show Tyler turned his head twice and an earpiece magically appeared in his ear. That was the most interesting thing about last night's episode.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 2:47 PM

No, they didn't own the gas station. They said that part of the deal of them having space inside the gas station was in return for her cleaning the bathrooms, IIRC.

Makes me wonder why only she had to clean the bathrooms, what was her husband doing while she was scrubbing?

grneyedldy

grneyedldy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 4:02 PM

Makes me wonder why only she had to clean the bathrooms, what was her husband doing while she was scrubbing?

Cooking tamales?

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 4:05 PM

Is it just me or is Tyler Florence turning into Beefy Leonardo Dicaprio?

taalsi

taalsi

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 4:45 PM

Is it just me or is Tyler Florence turning into Beefy Leonardo Dicaprio?

Beefy as in buff or beefy as in fat? Doesn't matter, I've had a thing for Tyler for over 10 years, so I'd hit it either way. Though I admit, that beard he was sporting almost turned me off. Fortunately, it was gone by the end of the episode.

Edited by taalsi, Jul 8, 2013 @ 4:46 PM.

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 5:44 PM

I gather the husband was busy making the tamales. If you look at their FB page, they seem busy and popular enough.

Yeah, I thought the husband had issues. Maybe hearing issues - he kept leaning in when Tyler spoke. And as far as not being failures - they tried a restaurant and like a lot of people, didn't know what they were doing and it closed. I'm sure it hurt them, but on the other hand, they did give their dream a try, it just didn't work out. So now they're making tamales in a gas station store, well, sounds like they are doing what they wanted to do - sell tamales. Going to a food court sound like a lot of work for these older people, but it's not my call to make.

I'm not trying to be harsh. The husband had a dream. They pursued the dream. It didn't work out in one place but seems to be working out in another. I hope they don't regret going to the food court.

yzerbear19

yzerbear19

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 6:36 PM

They filmed an episode of this show in our local mall. We were there yesterday and there were two new "restuarants," but neither were opened. They looked very slapped together. The one had menus written on posterboards. The one is a Lebanese restuarant and the other one looked like they put chips on the sandwich. So it looks like whoever "won" hasn't actually opened for business. I know they filmed the episode May 5-7. Some of my sister's coworkers were there for the filming and said that the one team didn't have any family there so they were asking others to pretend to be family members.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 7:49 PM

I went into watching FCW last night (didn't see the show when it aired last year) with trepidation, but I really liked it. I thought both "teams" had drive and heart, but I loved the tamale folks.

I know FN shows have a Man Behind The Curtain, but so do all "reality" shows now. I question the wisdom of operating in a food court at all, because I've only ever seen chains be "successful" at it, and that's probably only because they make so much money elsewhere, they can have lower money-making stores here and there. FWIW, every square foot in a mall is rented; nothing is owned. I know this from having experience in commercial/retail real estate. Mall space is usually pretty expensive, too--generally in the $30s per square foot, but that of course varies by geographical region.

Edited by bilgistic, Jul 14, 2013 @ 8:44 PM.

thalia ann

thalia ann

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 9:19 PM

I found the show kind of sad and appalling.   I thought the mall itself didn't look very successful and neither team seemed to have the resources to make this kind of venture work.  I don't think I'll watch again. 

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 10:40 PM

I thought the mall itself didn't look very successful

The contest can only take place if there are 2 open spaces in the mall's food court. That right there tells me that perhaps the mall isn't doing that well and that potential new restaurants will struggle especially if they don't have corporate backing.

grneyedldy

grneyedldy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 11:46 PM

I found the show kind of sad and appalling.   I thought the mall itself didn't look very successful and neither team seemed to have the resources to make this kind of venture work.  I don't think I'll watch again. 

I agree. I thought it was depressing. Kind of like watching someone win a single-wide.....for a year.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 5:44 PM

I caught this by pure chance and thought FN was ripping off America's Next Great Restaurant and that surely they couldn't do worse. I was mistaken.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 6:23 PM

I am going to watch tonight after reading all the comments here. I'm curious to see what happens next. And to see chips on a sandwich. :)

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 8:06 PM

I liked this episode a lot better, the mall wasn't so depressing and both teams seemed actually capable of taking advantage of the prize just being free rent. Though obviously The Taco Spot had more of advantage in that they had worked in commercial kitchens together with the same concept and a more regular clientele but I liked that he was going to give the other dude a share of the buisness if they won.

Though the taco wife seemed pretty useless unless that was scripted drama, not being able to figure out the ingredients of four tacos that she seemed to be on the regular menu of her restaurant!

I am glad that the Tirado's Empanades won though I liked both teams.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 8:27 PM

I enjoyed this show too. I was laughing at the mom and daughter when Mom would drive her nuts because that is so much like my late mother was. I was afraid her piddling around would cost them, but they pulled it out. Did Tyler ever say what the monetary difference was? I think I just heard him announce the grand total for the winners. Which means taco guys must not have done too well in relation to the winners total. 

The guy with the beard just about put me to sleep. I am not sure if it was his monotone voice or the fact he'd repeat himself a lot. The younger guy deserves something bigger someday, he seemed to really be on the ball. I wonder why their takeout place isn't doing well? 

Taco wife was totally useless! What does she do in the restaurant, waitress? She said something about reading off the menu. She should have that memorized by now if they started the business together several years ago.

Spartanburg is a nice city. Good location for the winners, too. Everyone seemed to love their food, and it looked really flavorful.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 8:49 PM

I'm kind of wondering what's going on regarding the stated winners (or replacement winners, in the case of last week's ep) actually getting the space it's said they won in the Food Court at the Mall involved. I've been checking the websites for the involved Malls after every episode, just out of curiosity to see if the winners were there, yet *none* of the winners--or losers, for that matter--are currently listed in the Store Directories for the respective Malls where they've allegedly won Food Court space, rent-free, for a year. None, including tonight's, who probably should still be at their Mall.

I get that the winner from the Pilot that aired last winter seems to have already come & gone, apparently before the rent-free year they won even ended (the Facebook page they had for the restaurant doesn't seem to have any entries since, like, February, nor are they currently listed on the Store Directory on the website for the Huntsville, AL, Mall they got the spot at... nor are they in a new storefront that I could see). I also get that, maybe, at their ages the older couple who won after the actual winners "couldn't accept (the prize) for personal reasons" might've decided it was easier to stay at the gas station they were selling at in the beginning of last week's ep, than to move for a year (or less, if they tanked financially before the end of their free year, as seems to have happened with the Pilot winners).

But what happened to the winners from tonight's ep... who we clearly saw signing the paperwork & doing other stuff that looked like they were setting up their at least yearlong storefront in the Food Court (& anyone else who may have won between the Pilot & the older couple last week)? That's what I'm wondering.

Edited by BW Manilowe, Jul 14, 2013 @ 8:52 PM.

zillabreeze

zillabreeze

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 8:52 PM

Not even finished watching.. you folks are more interesting than the show itself.

Tacos??? Are they a big deal around the country?  I live in Dallas and there are 3 taco stands at every intersection... YAWN...

I'd def try the empanadas just for variety.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 8:56 PM

The show cut to a sign of Charleston (SC) at the beginning of the taco guys' segment; Charleston isn't close to Spartanburg. It's probably a three-hour drive. (I live in NC, about 1.5 hours' drive from Spartanburg, and have been to both cities, but not from one to the other.) Spartanburg is at the eastern third of the upstate of SC, while Charleston is on the lower coast, close to GA.

I didn't understand, then, why the guys were competing to open in Spartanburg. Charleston is a booming tourist destination. They also had two locations already, though they were small.

This is awful of me, but I thought the "taco wife" is a beard (for the guy with the beard, heh).

Edited by bilgistic, Jul 14, 2013 @ 8:56 PM.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 9:14 PM

But what happened to the winners from tonight's ep

Mom probably argued about signage, menus, what to wear, etc. to the point they never left the house.

This is awful of me, but I thought the "taco wife" is a beard (for the guy with the beard, heh).

Uh, my mind went there too, so don't feel bad. :)

Yeah, Charleston is a haul from Spartanburg. But I sort of got the idea the young guy was going to run the food court place while the bearded guy stayed where they were. Probably closing the taco shed.