Danger 5

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

6 replies to this topic

jipijapa

jipijapa

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

This Australian show is on free Hulu now, with new episodes each Sunday (there are only 6 episodes and a webisode).

It's a hilarious and VERY well-done spoof of a particular sort of 1960s TV spy genre. Have seen it compared to Thunderbirds and "I Spy" but I don't know what show they really based it on, except it's amazingly spot-on in the production values.

The explosions and so-called "special effects" alone are worth the price of admission.

Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube....h?v=0Z09bNgSeMI

Edited by jipijapa, Dec 28, 2012 @ 9:13 PM.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Dec 29, 2012 @ 3:12 AM

That trailer was 2 minutes of awesome. Hot 1940s brunette that smokes a lot and fights Nazis? See you soon.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

• Interests:hockey, horror, science fiction, mythology, food

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 11:01 AM

"And of course, kill Hitler."

jipijapa

jipijapa

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 3:12 PM

Second episode is up: http://www.hulu.com/search?q=danger+5

What's scary is that I dimly remember seeing shows like this as a child. Like, in reruns. This is like a bad ABC (American Broadcasting Company, not Australian) knockoff of "I Spy" or something, although the "WW2 in the Swinging Sixties" angle is... shall we say... unique.

I also heard they are doing a Season 2 of this. Yay!

Edited by jipijapa, Dec 30, 2012 @ 3:21 PM.

jipijapa

jipijapa

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 2:47 PM

OK, apparently only 3 people in America are watching this show. Which is just wrong.

Episode 3 was the Japan one. Better than the Antarctica one I thought... I'm starting to detect a pattern here, which is that every time Danger 5 takes to the skies, they get shot down over enemy territory. In fact, I don't think aircraft ever actually lands safely on this show.

Wyldemusick

Wyldemusick

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 9:49 PM

Their roots are more in Italian spy/adventure movies of the 1960s, crossed with Japanese movies of the 1960s, with some Gerry Anderson and Brit action/spy-fi thrown in (and a bit of Man From UNCLE for good measure.) It's a more cockeyed variation of what Tarantino did with Inglorious Basterds. These are the same people that did Italian spiderman (check YouTube for it.)

jipijapa

jipijapa

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 11:13 AM

The Man from UNCLE! That's the show I was thinking of having seen as a kid. Thanks.

So, all six episodes of this have aired on Hulu now. My enthusiasm for the show was slightly tempered by the fact that the second-to-last episode ("Fresh Meat for Hitler's Sex Kitchen") was just not very good at all. I guess it counts as "Worst Episode Ever" since all shows have to one at least one.

Best episodes were the webisode ("Diamond Girls"), "I Danced for Hitler," and "Hitler's Golden Murder Palace." "Kill-Men of the Rising Sun" and the "season finale" (Final Victory) were OK. "Lizard Men of the Third Reich" was... a bit meh, and I already mentioned the Worst Episode Ever.

There will be a season 2.