6 Little McGhees

• Please log in to reply

73 replies to this topic

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted Dec 24, 2012 @ 7:47 PM

Yep, it's another multiples show that debuted last Saturday about a Columbus, Ohio couple who were high school sweethearts. They struggled to get pregnant and after their twins didn't make it to term they continued trying and ended up with sextuplets.

It's currently on the OWN network on Saturdays at 9PM EST.

Preview of first five minutes of Episode 1

I was never into the Jon & Kate hype but I did love the show with Ecuadorian immigrant family who had sextuplets (of course the show didn't last long because there was no drama like the Gosselins).

I like the McGees family dynamic (and the fact they have their own company) so I hope their marriage survives the pitfalls of reality TV.

Shortcake2001

Shortcake2001

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 24, 2012 @ 8:28 PM

I watched the episode. I like this family very much. I was a bit hesitant to watch and end up feeling it was Jon & Kate all over again.

The kids are so cute and adorable.

Pattypoundcake

Pattypoundcake

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 25, 2012 @ 7:36 AM

I love them!

This is a newborn picture of their babies, it did the rounds after they were born.

Photo blog

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Dec 25, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

They're a pretty amazing couple, and kids are really cute.
They're so pragmatic, and just do what they have to.
When she found out that he was still at work late, she said-once-"you've got to be kidding," then went ahead and got six children fed and whatever else had to be done.

StinkPill

StinkPill

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 25, 2012 @ 3:26 PM

It's so odd to me that it's so amazing that people are actually taking care of the children they have.

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted Dec 25, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

I caught up on the three episodes that aired so far and two things that made my eye twitch were the sharing the same bowl and spoon for the little ones and the putting the ribs back on the grill after it dropped on the ground outside. I can't even imagine to understand how tight their budget is so I'm sure their approach is to be conservative with their resources but...hmm.

I think it will be interesting to see Mia, in particular, come to grips with all the things that come with motherhood. The biting, letting the kids try new things while trying not to pass on her own fears of the unknown (never riding a horse or going to the zoo, petting animals) to them, etc.

If there's another season I hope we'll see Cilky Smooth with some upgraded wigs.

dad2two

dad2two

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 25, 2012 @ 4:35 PM

I caught up on the three episodes that aired so far and two things that made my eye twitch were the sharing the same bowl and spoon for the little ones and the putting the ribs back on the grill after it dropped on the ground outside. I can't even imagine to understand how tight their budget is so I'm sure their approach is to be conservative with their resources but...hmm.

I don't think the bowl sharing was a resource conservation thing so much as a time conservation thing. However, the ribs and chicken falling...ewwww.

I can imagine that when they were littler it was difficult to have 6 bowls lined up to feed from. If you want to feed Ro, you take a spoon from his, but he won't take it. Now, you have to put it down, go for Maddy's and try with her. They way they did it, was try one mouth, won't take it, move on and come back. They seem to handle the disappointments and struggles with grace. They even make sure to give the helpers a lot of thanks and don't treat them as employees. I can see that having your MIL live in your house can be difficult. Yes, she's helping and you should be grateful, but that's a whole nother personality to work with who isn't as invested in compromise. My mother lived with us for a few months and I wanted to throttle her.

That being said. I'm in!

Meimeikittycat

Meimeikittycat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 25, 2012 @ 7:13 PM

It's a cute show and I hope that it remains that way. I don't need to see a bunch of faux drama. Sextuplets bring their own challenges, and that's enough for me!

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted Dec 25, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

They way they did it, was try one mouth, won't take it, move on and come back

Exactly. I think their method is smart for now. Plus, toddler's fingers wander - instead of having to clean up a table with finger smears and food droppings, you can save time, avoid having to clean up messes, and feed them from one bowl.

I really like this family.

Albanyguy

Albanyguy

Fanatic

Posted Dec 25, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

They do seem friendly, down-to-earth and likeable, which is why I wish for their sakes that they hadn't been given their own reality show. I hope that they don't end up looking like greedy, mean-spirited famewhores who exploit their children (like the Gosselins and the Duggars). Has there ever been a reality show featuring an "ordinary" family that didn't end in divorce, dysfunction or just a loss of dignity? But then, every family that goes into it probably thinks that they'll be the exception.

Edited by Albanyguy, Dec 25, 2012 @ 8:53 PM.

Truexprincess8

Truexprincess8

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 25, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

I like this show. I think the babies are adorable.

However, was I the only one who found it strange that the kids had not gone to a pediatrician in a year? I mean, have nieces and nephews and it seems like they are at doctor's appointment every two-three months for either an illness or a check-up/immunizations.

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted Dec 26, 2012 @ 1:54 AM

was I the only one who found it strange that the kids had not gone to a pediatrician in a year?

Nope. I was going to turn the channel but decided to take a look. Aliya jr watched as well. We were both concerned that the kids hadn't been to the doctor in a year. That just doesn't seem natural in this society, with little babies. Don't they have shots they need to get (it's been a while since Aliya jr was that age)?

I couldn't understand why the doctor said they needed to get the kids away from the table until I looked again at how they were feeding them. I agree with a poster up thread that it was probably more convenient to feed them from one bowl, but eww. Just pass the germs around, why dontcha? I thought the table was a good idea, tho. They must use those in day cares or something; I'd never seen anything like it.

I guess what bothered the 2 of us is that some of the activities seemed contrived (OK, it is reality TV), but it was hard to tell if they normally worked this way or not. For example, why take all 6 kids to the doctor at once? They have helpers, take 3 to the doc with a parent and a helper with 1 helper at home with the remaining kids. It might seem better to get it done all at once, but it also seemed insane to take all the kids at once.

Also, I wonder if they had taken the kids to church before? I belong to a denomination where people generally have a lot of kids. For the first part of the service, we are all together, then folks separate out for Sunday school classes. Parents bring Cheerios, picture books, little toys, etc. Granted, the kids are of different ages, instead of being sextuplets, but it just seemed that if the parents usually took the kids to church, they would have a routine and a way to keep their attention and keep them reasonably quiet. This strikes me as another activity which would make sense for the parents to go alone, or bring 2, and leave the rest with the helpers.

I wonder if the question of selective abortion came up. Apparently that comes up frequently with so many babies. It's hard to know what one would do in that situation, even if one is generally against abortion. You certainly wouldn't want one baby's issues to threaten the rest. Aliya jr and I had quite the conversation about it.

They seemed nice enough. I hope TV doesn't ruin them.

dad2two

dad2two

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 26, 2012 @ 2:41 AM

Has there ever been a reality show featuring an "ordinary" family that didn't end in divorce, dysfunction or just a loss of dignity? But then, every family that goes into it probably thinks that they'll be the exception.

Yes, the New Jersey Hayes family on Table for 12. They kept a tight rein on taping, did very little of it and only during school breaks. They only lasted one short season, but from all I've read, they were well liked.

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Dec 26, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

The Hayes family did come back for at least a season two and maybe three. It began to get a little more contrived with some trips but they stayed down to earth. In comparison to the contrived drama I thought it was refreshing.

I can't imagine not taking sextuplets to the doctor regularly. There are so many potential issues and yes immunizations and developmental screenings are even more important with babies born early. I think a lot of the high order multiple moms use one bowl when beginning feedings and move on to individual finger foods.

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted Dec 26, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

Just pass the germs around, why dontcha?

The kids live in such close proximity, they're bound to catch each other's germs anyways.

deelitefuldd

deelitefuldd

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 26, 2012 @ 1:14 PM

Enjoying the show so far. Ro and Mia work really well together, and they have great support from family and friends. I can already tell that Cilky (Lawd!) is going to bring the drama; she is just doing too much already. Both Cilky and Mia have strong personalities, so I can't wait to see how their conflict is going to play out on the next episode.

I wonder if OWN is paying Mia and Ro anything close to the millions that a lot of folks suspected that the Gosselins were getting; I'm willing to bet they aren't. Regardless of what they're being paid, I hope that they do this show for a season or two, bank the money, and then get out. Reality TV is no place to have a marriage and raise a family. So far, I like them and am really rooting for them to make it.

prosperity2day

prosperity2day

Fanatic

Posted Dec 26, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

Oh hell, I missed this. I'm pulling for this family as long as it does not destroy them. I'm going to be honest. I want them to make big bank for their kid's future and get to travel to see things they might not have a chance to see otherwise, like all the other family of multiple kids who have reality shows. I'm going to make sure and tell my friends and write down the time and date so I won't forget again. I will support this show 100%.

Edited by prosperity2day, Dec 26, 2012 @ 4:36 PM.

appledumpling

appledumpling

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 26, 2012 @ 5:57 PM

Missed the last episode but caught the first two; can't get with the communal bowl, it's nasty to me.

Who doesn't take their children to the doctor during the first year? didn't they miss immunizations? it comes across as poor parenting. Also I saw Mia as bossy towards Ro, ala Kate from "John & Kate plus Eight", I hope their marriage doesn't suffer because of this show. However, I will continue to watch.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Dec 26, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

I wondered if a nurse or even a doctor, came by the house once in a while, for routine shots and check-up.

interestedg

interestedg

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 26, 2012 @ 7:56 PM

I think the children are precious.

But I do not like how bossy Mia is. It is almost like they want Ro to appear stupid. He is working hard to suuport his family. I think Mia is a first time mom who wants to appear like she knows everything. Babies, expecially premies, should be watched carefully the first couple of years of their lives. It is not about what is easier for the parents.

As far as the feedings, It would not be difficult for each child to have a bowl/plate. How else do they know how much each child is eating. Mia may be careful about the zoo & having fun, but she needs to be just as concerned about the eating habits of these children. It sppears they are too big to be at that table & big enough to feed themselves from their own plates. Foods like green peas, carrots, small cuts of chicken, bananas. Mia said they loved bananas. I hope they eat them by themselves. It may take time & be harder, but the children should be able to feed themselves. I do not think they have been taught.

I know there are 6 of them & that is a lot of work. But the doctor knows more than Mia & she needs to listen. It may be harmful to the children. I have 2 sons, when one had strep, he got antibiotics & got well. The other got strep, it went into scarlet fever & then bladder surgery. Of course in the same home, they all may get sick. But to purposely spread germs by sharing the spoons is lazy. I also think it is lazy & not very clean to bathe them one after the other in the same bucket of water. Even if they filled a tub & washed 3 at a tiome, it would be cleaner.

Just my opinion. I just think children are too precious to be taken care if the easiest way for parents instead of the healthiest way for kids.

Meimeikittycat

Meimeikittycat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 26, 2012 @ 8:06 PM

I first saw the McGhees picture on other another website. If I understand correctly, prior to their being on Oprah they did not get very much attention, unlike some other families of multiples. I believe they may have been in financial trouble (not unusual considering they have six children). Anyway, that may explain why the children hadn't been to the doctor. I don't know if the parents had insurance at all. This is all speculation and certainly not an excuse. It's purely through the grapevine.

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 12:05 AM

I thought the secret prom Rozanno put together for Mia was very sweet. He's a good man.

I'm not going to pretend I know how complicated Cilky and Mia's relationship is but Mia frustrates me. I wouldn't be surprised if Mia's stubbornness had something to do with her own mom kicking her out of the house.

Season finale already?

toolegittoquit

toolegittoquit

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 12:24 AM

Caught this today and was pleasantly surprised. I like this family a lot; Ro is a good man and Mia is a strong lady. I can understand taking shortcuts with six toddlers at once, and the children looked well-loved and taken care of.

Eric83

Eric83

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 3:43 AM

Ok I wasn't paying attention but when they were bathing the children did they actually use the SAME bathwater for each of them?

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 1:02 PM

The season finale is next Saturday. I don't know what kind of viewership OWN needs or wants to keep a series on the air, but this one doesn't seem to be doing all that well. Moving the new episodes to Saturday isn't a good sign.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 1:58 PM

Ok I wasn't paying attention but when they were bathing the children did they actually use the SAME bathwater for each of them?

Yes, but I think a lot of people bath their small children either together, or in the same water. And they did change it when one of girls peed in it.

theteeveegirl

theteeveegirl

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 9:40 PM

The season finale is next Saturday. I don't know what kind of viewership OWN needs or wants to keep a series on the air, but this one doesn't seem to be doing all that well. Moving the new episodes to Saturday isn't a good sign.

OWN always runs originals on Saturday - it's one of their core programming nights - so the eps weren't moved there and airing on Saturday isn't a sign of bad ratings.

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 10:35 PM

Sorry, I only caught up with this last week. I thought it began on Sunday. This is the first series on OWN I've watched. It's probably the last.

theteeveegirl

theteeveegirl

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 8:40 AM

I wonder if OWN is paying Mia and Ro anything close to the millions that a lot of folks suspected that the Gosselins were getting; I'm willing to bet they aren't. Regardless of what they're being paid, I hope that they do this show for a season or two, bank the money, and then get out. Reality TV is no place to have a marriage and raise a family. So far, I like them and am really rooting for them to make it.

The Gosselins didn't make that kind of money until the show was a big hit and TLC had to fork it over to keep them coming back for new episodes. I'd be shocked if the family as a whole is getting more than $10k per episode, and that's probably pushing it. After taxes, that's not much in their pockets when there are six kids to provide for.

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 10:48 AM

June of TLC's Honey Boo Boo commented that she receives 20K per episode for her show. I imagine that the McGhees receive a similar amount on OWN. I can't imagine that they'd do it for less than that. After taxes, that 20K doesn't make that big of a dent with all of those McGhee kids.

Edited by PharmGal10, Jan 6, 2013 @ 10:50 AM.