7-6: "The Snowmen" 2012.12.25

• Please log in to reply

220 replies to this topic

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 7:53 AM

She had reached safety at that point. Until then, she spent her time guarding the children (all of them being frightened) and running with the Doctor

So she had to say a zinger before climbed the ladder? She shrugged and smirked to the ice governess. I don't care that she was safe at that point, but I felt that she was being cocky. And that lead to her death because of that.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 9:36 AM

I have no issue with it to be honest and it didn't lead to her death. Not closing the door of the TARDIS however did.

Pharangese

Pharangese

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 11:48 AM

Not closing the door of the TARDIS however did.

Because of their carelessness and overconfidence. It was too convenient of a plot. Usually the Doctor would close the door immediately no matter what. But this time? They felt safe and honky dory especially after taunting the monster, and that was a big mistake.

This whole episode made me angry, and it was a shame because it had so much potential. They wasted Ian McKellen and Richard E. Grant. I want to like Clara, I really do. But her introduction was the most annoying thing happened in this episode, I couldn't enjoy it.

Limber

Limber

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 11:12 PM

Of course later we bizarrely learned that she had built this nearly indestructible faith in him which is completely nonsensical. Especially given that we learned her childhood experience had been naturally somewhat traumatic after the abandonment by the spaceman in the box and that nobody believed her.

She seemed like the sort of kid who'd hold onto something like that, just out of sheer obstinacy. She's in a place where people tells her she talks funny, she hasn't got parents, and now they tell her she's making up the spaceman? Hell no! She'd grip onto that like grim death - she knows it's true, and screw the rest of them.

Amy made perfect sense to me. Then again, I grew up surrounded by Scots.

What irritated me about the ladder zinger was the mechanism of the ladder itself. The ladder comes down when you put weight on it. The TARDIS is resting on a cloud, tethered by a huge staircase. There doesn't appear to be much movement going on up there, so why on earth would Clara think that standing on the rung and rapping it with an umbrella would cause the ladder to retract? Did the TARDIS hop? Did Clara suddenly lose all mass? Bah.

Edited by Limber, Jan 11, 2013 @ 11:14 PM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 9:12 AM

To be fair, Clara is an adult woman. She wasn't a child when we saw in this episode - she was 26 and I wouldn't be surprised if the version we saw in AOTD and the modern version we saw at the end of the episode was the same age.

I don't know but the thing with the umbrella pulling the ladder, I just found it amusing to be honest. Maybe it didn't make sense but it didn't bother me either.

I really do think this is actually Moffat's best Christmas special and maybe the show's best one in general.

Dallas Fan

Dallas Fan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 10:40 AM

But this time? They felt safe and honky dory especially after taunting the monster, and that was a big mistake.

It was really inexplicable why they would be sure that the monster wasn't coming up as well. It had to be SOMEwhere, either below with kids, or trying to climb the ladder, why would they assume that monster can't climb? Governess got from the pond and into the house with no problem. And no way I am turning my back to open door after being attacked by monster.

blue sky

blue sky

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 7, 2013 @ 12:24 PM

I'm only now bothering to catch up on this season. By the end of last season, I was completely tired of the Ponds. I tuned back in because I heard they were leaving. And that River was coming back. I've liked Alex Kingston since ER, and love River, despite some overdone moments. I have high hopes for the new companion--that she'd be interesting enough to make me want to keep watching. I think Clara definitely did that job--at least for another episode or two.

I kept trying to figure out if there's connection between Captain Latimer and Tim Latimer from "Human Nature." Do the dates work for Tim to be a kid from a second marriage?

Who knew a Sontaran could be the comic highlight? But Vastra has a weirdly commanding relationship with Jenny.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 7:49 AM

I still love this special. So much about it that sticks out and I mean that in a good way. Moffat wrote something wonderful here and I think it's down to the special actually igniting Clara's arc rather than being a standalone, forgettable adventure.

WubPaigeJones

WubPaigeJones

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 25, 2013 @ 2:54 AM

Watching the Christmas 2013 rerun on BBCA, and I didn't know there was an extended version of the episode... so much better.

tankgirl73

tankgirl73

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 25, 2013 @ 11:23 AM

I just watched it on Netflix -- I never saw the original broadcast.  It's very, very clear that they *wanted* the ice governess to follow them up the ladder -- to draw her away from the children.  Then there was some special dense fog stuff partway up which she would get stuck in.  So they believed that they were safe, not because they thought she was at the bottom -- they knew she was on the stairs, but they thought she was stuck.  

They were still overconfident etc, but the zinger wasn't a problem.  

I have to wonder -- since I didn't see the original broadcast, and since WubPaigeJones just said that there's an "extended version" -- if this scene where they talk about deliberately drawing her up the stairs was cut from the original broadcast?  All the comments from last year, talking about how they should have realized the governess might follow them, etc etc, would seem to point that way.  

elle

elle

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2014 @ 2:50 PM

Someone at Nissan or their ad agency must be a Doctor Who fan.  Their latest commercial certainly seems to be inspired by this episode.

commercial at you tube