The Arsenio Hall Show (2013): Woof! Woof! Woof!

• Please log in to reply

64 replies to this topic

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Dec 22, 2012 @ 11:10 AM

Arsenio is coming back to late night television. The new show will debut September 9th, 2013.

The return promo spot. (YouTube video, 1:01)

The Arsenio Hall Show will be produced by CBS TV Distribution in association with Arsenio Hall Communications and Octagon Entertainment Productions. Hall will executive produce with manager John Ferriter.

The late-night show, sold to 95 percent of the country, will debut Sept. 9, 2013. Hall's previous Arsenio Hall Show incarnation aired from 1989-94. [Hollywoodreporter]

Arsenio's YouTube page also has a behind the scenes video.

A full list of shows and appearances from the original run, which famously includes Bill Clinton playing saxophone.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Dec 22, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

I have mixed feelings about this. I loved his original show but as the saying goes, "You can't go back home again." and even Arsenio admitted if he ever did a show again it would be different than before. Plus I had a crush on Starr and am afraid to see if the years have been unkind to her. Heck, she may not even be a part of the new show.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Dec 22, 2012 @ 1:59 PM

Starr? Who is that? I used to watch the show, but I have apparently forgotten who that is. I agree on the mixed feelings. I am hoping it'll be bumpy in the beginning, but smooth out. He seems kind of off at the moment, but it usually takes time to get your chops back. But he should be able to stack enough star power on there that it'll be good for at least the first new season.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Dec 22, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

Starr was a member of the band. IIRC she played guitar and it's rare to find a hot chick who can also rock out on guitar so of course she got a lot of face time(at least for one of the band members on a talk show).

ETA: I was wrong, she played keyboard. Anyway this is Starr Pirodi.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Dec 22, 2012 @ 3:05 PM.

tvallthetime

tvallthetime

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

I hope this does well. I don't want it to tarnish the good memories I have of it's original run.

Side Note: Caught a random episode of 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire". A young contestant was asked something like, "Which talk show was known for it's 'dog pound'"? The kid had to ask the audience. Kids these days.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 2:46 PM

The Arsenio Hall show will debut September 9, 2013 at 10 p.m. weeknights.

http://blogs.indiewi...-of-the-country

Official show website.

Looking forward to watching Arsenio Hall again.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 3:55 PM

IMO, that's not a good timeslot. A lot of good shows air at 10pm. I'll check it out as much as I can but I'm not happy.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:38 PM

In my area, 10-11pm is mostly local news shows, after primetime shows. Is it different in other time zones? (I'm in central time zone.)

AerosolSpray

AerosolSpray

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:41 PM

I just want him to have a hi-top fade and the exact same set so I can pretend it's 1990 again. Bring out MC Lyte or Bel Biv Devoe for a musical performance and I'm there.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 2:26 AM

In my area, 10-11pm is mostly local news shows, after primetime shows. Is it different in other time zones? (I'm in central time zone.)

Yes for most other places the 10 pm hour would correspond to what you see at 9 pm. It's why most network ads list the time of their show and than say that the show is on one hour early in the central time zone.

Edited by biakbiak, Feb 1, 2013 @ 2:27 AM.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 3:51 AM

But the article says that Arsenio's show will be at 10-11pm in most areas. So it's going to be competing with primetime shows instead of local news shows? I wouldn't call that late night at all.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 2:00 PM

Old school networks (CBS, NBC, ABC) have their local news at 11pm eastern, then late night shows. New fangled networks (Fox, CW, whatever that other thing is called) have their local news at 10pm eastern. Maybe this is their big change, and they'll have Aresenio at 10 & local news at 11?

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 3:42 PM

But the article says that Arsenio's show will be at 10-11pm in most areas. So it's going to be competing with primetime shows instead of local news shows? I wouldn't call that late night at all

The thing is Arsenio's new show was bought by CBS and they are already committed to Late night with Letterman, and then to Craig Ferguson's show so they have no other choice but to air it either before those two shows or after those two shows. And of those two options 10pm makes the most sense.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2013 @ 9:14 AM

Just a couple of months until this returns. Some new teaser slots from the last few weeks for the 9/9/2013 premiere:

Returning to Late Night

Earth-Shaking Return

The Country Needs Arsenio

Suit Up

And Arsenio talked sports with Jim Hill. (the end of the interview - oh my)  I wonder if the angle for the show is to get stars nobody else can get, because that's what keeps getting brought up. But the current president has appeared on talk shows. Stars show up on talk shows all the time. If he was smart, Arsenio would realize some of the secret sauce was the musical guests. Jimmy Kimmel kind of is the place for that though, and Fallon.

I don't know what the angle is going to be. It has to be something though. Arsenio seems flat now personality-wise.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2013 @ 2:28 PM

Arseno has some celebrity friends so I'll think he'll be okay as far as guests go.

If he was smart, Arsenio would realize some of the secret sauce was the musical guests.

I'm sure he knows it which is why he required any musical act who appeared on his show to sing live.  And that's why Milli Vanilli never went on his talkshow and why Arseno kept making jokes about them.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Jul 9, 2013 @ 2:29 PM.

JBL228

JBL228

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2013 @ 4:11 PM

Milli Vanilli appeared on Arsenio. They appeared after they gave up the Grammy. I remember Arsenio telling them after they sang, why didn't they just sing to begin with because they could sing.

Here is one youtube video of them on the show:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ew38sjEH91c

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2013 @ 2:29 PM

Milli Vanilli appeared on Arsenio. They appeared after they gave up the Grammy

Ah, I see the confusion.  The two who sang were the public faces of Milli Vanili( three different people actually sang the songs) but they did not perform on Arsenio's show as Milli Vanilli.  They performed as Rob and Fab and actually sang their own song.  And I give Arsenio a lot of respect and props for that because their so called fans and every other late night host who were all praising them before the scandal abandoned them once it came out they lipsynched but Arsenio actually gave them a second chance to prove themselves.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Jul 10, 2013 @ 2:35 PM.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 1:31 PM

I loved his old show; I think I'll give the new one a try.

helenbaby

helenbaby

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 1:59 PM

Saw a commercial for his new show last night. He's going to be on my local Fox affiliate. They have been having news at 9 pm (I'm in the Central TZ) but I didn't notice if it gave the time. They may do a delay and show it at 10 pm CDT.

reggiejax

reggiejax

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 6:07 PM

I must be the only one here who hated the original Arsenio Hall show. Suffice it to say the new incarnation holds no interest for me.

Edited by reggiejax, Jul 11, 2013 @ 6:27 PM.

seattlesound

seattlesound

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 11:29 AM

Just to clear up any confusion on the time period - Arsenio is a syndicated talk show, so times will vary by market. In most markets, it is set to air at 10PM or 11PM. Also, it will air mostly on FOX, CW and independent affiliates, not CBS. His syndicator is owned by CBS, but the network itself is not putting the show on.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 2:26 PM

Also, it will air mostly on FOX, CW and independent affiliates, not CBS. His syndicator is owned by CBS, but the network itself is not putting the show on

That's interesting.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 8:47 PM

Yeah, that's why I was confused earlier. CBS is not airing the show, so no, Arsenio is not being forced into taking an earlier timeslot by Letterman. He's going to air on other stations that presumably don't have late night shows already. I still haven't heard when he'll air in my area.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 7:09 AM

The two who sang were the public faces of Milli Vanili( three different people actually sang the songs) but they did not perform on Arsenio's show as Milli Vanilli.  They performed as Rob and Fab and actually sang their own song.  And I give Arsenio a lot of respect and props for that because their so called fans and every other late night host who were all praising them before the scandal abandoned them once it came out they lipsynched but Arsenio actually gave them a second chance to prove themselves.

I remember that show! Not only did Rob and Fab perform live as themselves, they were actually given couch time to explain what happened with the whole Milli Vanilli scandal. That was just one of many examples of how Arsenio gave black R&B/Hip-hop performers the kind of opportunities they never would have received on shows like Johnny Carson.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Jul 27, 2013 @ 9:42 PM

Arsenio has a thing where if you sign up for updates you can win tix to the premiere week.

Fill out the form below with your information, and you'll be the first to know about tickets, show information, and more! You might even snag tickets to Arsenio's premiere week!

Plus, we want to hear from you! If you have a photo, video, link or story that you think Arsenio should know about, include it below.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 11:22 AM

I saw a promo for this last night, it's on my local CW affiliate at 11 pm est.  Between TDS,TCR and Totally Biased I just don't know how I'm going to be to watch Arsenio.  I hope to be able to at least check out the first week or so.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Aug 28, 2013 @ 11:27 AM.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 7:55 AM

Arsenio did an AMA on reddit yesterday. And Paul Scheer showed up replying to Arsenio in the comments. A commenter asked Arsenio to do a Vine of the "I want to tear you apart....and your friend too" line from Coming to America, and Arsenio did it. Then Arsenio linked this as his favorite musical moment from the show. Hard to argue with that. Any time you find yourself in a group hug with among others Wu-Tang, Gang-Starr, Tribe Called Quest and MC Lyte, you know its the best musical moment you've had.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 9:58 AM

Arsenio is scheduled to be on Late Show with David Letterman tomorrow (Friday, Sept. 6).

The Arsenio Hall Show 9/9/13 Premiere Week Guests

The series is scheduled to record on my DVR, but it might not be for long.  Most of the guests listed in that article I'm not  interested in seeing.

Edited by Mary Ann, Sep 5, 2013 @ 12:58 PM.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 11:33 AM

Chris Tucker, Magic, Cube, Nas, Angela Bassett and others. There are some interesting people there, but not high quality enough for Arsenio's Caliber. I would have liked to see something epic and worthy of the legend of the show. Some big names like Eddie Murphy, Kerry Washington, Denzel, Chappelle, Tom Hanks, Tina Fey. And while Earth Wind and Fire is a treat, more up and coming music acts. Mac Miller is not cutting it. This show is going to last about 2 weeks at this pace.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 1:29 PM

But I would argue his guest list is in keeping with who he is.  People like Denzel and Tom Hanks wouldn't have come on his show back then but people like Nas and Chris Tucker would have, and I'm glad Arsenio hasn't forgotten his roots.