AS2-8: "Flapper Fashion Face-Off" 2012.12.20

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

72 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

From Zap2it:

The final six designers must create looks for one of three vintage 1920s events and then face off against each other in pairs of two.

This thread will open at 10:00pm EST on December 20th.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Ugh, Joshua's tennis dress was one of the better designs? Really?

gabbyghoul

gabbyghoul

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

I hated Anthony Ryan's design, thought sure it would get criticized,and then it WINS.
What the hell?
Joshua's was nice but too much like what Galliano was doing in the late 90s for me not to see it as beautiful but been-there-before. Uli's was great. She should of won in my estimation.

And is anyone watching the Marchesa show that is on now? I get Marchesa, I just don't care for it at all. Pretty soulless dresses for A-listers to play Pretty Pretty Red Carpet Princess in.

only1kcm

only1kcm

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 10:22 PM

Good Lord: Ivy is still there? I mean, I'm not a big Laura Kathleen fan but Ivy is just weak weak weak. Ugh.

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

I've got the Marchesa show on. I think Uli didn't win because she won last week. I liked hers best. Emilio's reminded me of something my grandma wore - and probably did! It would be a great period piece. Ivy's next to go.

By the way, Georgina was demoted tonight. She was only "lovely" instead of "beautiful." Ms. Mol was the beautiful one instead. What kind of drawstring sack was Carolyn wearing? As a whole it wasn't so bad, but when they showed only her head and shoulders, it looked awful.

Final three: Emilio, Uli, Anthony.

Anacharsis

Anacharsis

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

Uli should have won. Anthony Ryan's was OK but not as spectacular as Uli's. Plus, he's become more obnoxious every episode. I blame Orange Josh.

I'm very, very happy Laura Kathleen, her horrible eyebrows, whiny voice, and delusional critiques is finally off this show. Ugly inside and out, that one.

I liked Josh's dress from the back and think he would have been in the top if he had chosen different fabrics or something. They looked cheap. I also would have liked Emilio's in a different print and wonder why he didn't line up the lace cut-outs in the back. His silouette may have been common but it is a flattering one, unlike Laura Kathleen's hideous circus tent pants.

Edited by Anacharsis, Dec 20, 2012 @ 10:31 PM.

SueR

SueR

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

When I knew that it was either Laura Kathleen or Ivy to go I was so happy because it was a win/win situation for the loss. Hate them both. Ivy is nicer this year, but to give Anthony Ryan a 5? That's just rude. Interesting, by the way, how the judges did so much of the discussion in front of us. Also, the instant decision on top and bottom. Ivy has to go next. Three times in a row in the bottom 3.

JodithGrace

JodithGrace

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 10:34 PM

I actually really liked Carolyn's runway dress tonight. Shocker, I know.

Uli is really good. I never saw her original season, but I'm rooting or her to win the whole thing.

Ivy would have gone home tonight for sure if LK hadn't insisted on that "fur" cave man vest. When I picture a roaring twenties girl with her fur, it certainly didn't look like she murdered a muppet! I loved the idea of her pleated pants, but on the runway, they didn't look good at all. Her top was beautiful, though.

Anthony Ryan's dress was cute, but I preferred Uli's.

bluegirl547

bluegirl547

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 10:48 PM

What does one wear to a speakeasy with regular hours?

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

I like Uli as a person but her dresses this season all look the same to me. I thought the challenge was to create a 20's inspired look for a modern woman? Uli, Ivy and Anthony Ryan all created looks appropriate for the 1920's flapper rather than a modern woman.. I think Nina Garcia and Michael Kors would think differently of the designs that this bunch created. Laura Kathleen's model had a bunched up crotch, otherwise her outfit wasn't too bad.

Emilio's my favorite and I have to say I think his dress would be appropriate for an afternoon luncheon party. Also liked Josh's dress but it didn't say luncheon at all which is why (I think) Emilio was the higher score.

Since the judges love everything Anthony Ryan does (I like almost nothing) and they seem to like Uli's love of tacking on endless amounts of beads and feathers, one of them will no doubt win. I still think Emilio is the most talented of the group probably followed by Joshua despite his sometimes big mistakes. Uli is a one way monkey to me and Ivy seems lost without Casanova to help her.

Edited by Maddingcrowd, Dec 20, 2012 @ 10:51 PM.

rhodaj

rhodaj

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

I'm baffled by AR's win. I thought his dress was a shapeless mess, and the feather shawl made the model look like she had no neck. Also, the judges seem to have forgotten that Josh and Emilio were designing for a garden party. And Emilio's dress was definitely more fitting for that event. Besides that, Josh's dress was shapeless and butt ugly, especially with that pin that he stuck on the dress that was just completely out of place.

The only redeeming part of this episode was the aufing of Laura Kathleen. Good riddance. Too bad the judges didn't have the sense to kick Josh to the curb for the horror show he created the previous week.

wyndham

wyndham

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

I thought Emilio's dress was gorgeous-sorry he didn't win over that crap that AR turned out (wasn't his the one with the nasty feather capelet?)

I'm delighted that the "entitled" Laura Kathleen was finally eliminated-now she can go back to the palace where she lives and count her jewels.

Orange John just needs to take his nasty bitch attitude and go home and whine about how his "creations" were always best but the judges just didn't appreciate his massive talent-gah!

While I like Uli's dresses, she's getting to be very one note and she may get eliminated if she doesn't put some variety in her outfits.

hunterhunted

hunterhunted

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

I'm baffled by AR's win. I thought his dress was a shapeless mess, and the feather shawl made the model look like she had no neck. Also, the judges seem to have forgotten that Josh and Emilio were designing for a garden party. And Emilio's dress was definitely more fitting for that event. Besides that, Josh's dress was shapeless and butt ugly, especially with that pin that he stuck on the dress that was just completely out of place.

Anthony Ryan's was a beaded pillowcase with fringe. Anthony Ryan is so wildly overpraised. Of course it won. The judging tonight was stupid. Maybe things looked different on the runway, but I would not have equivocated between Emilio and Josh. I thought Emilio's was the clear winner for a garden party. I thought Josh's evoked the 20's, but his tailoring wasn't quite there (it was a bit paunchy around the waist) and his styling was completely off. And as much as I can't stand Laura Kathleen, she should have been the one to stay. Her look was really good, except for her fur. Ivy's was fundamentally flawed. The satin at the shoulders was too light for the beading below and the feathers had no substance. It was a mess of flawed design.

And Gretchen Mol?!? Really Harvey Weinstein? The woman who was rumored to owe her career to sleeping with Harvey Weinstein for a decade. Gretchen barely has a career despite Boardwalk Empire. They should have tried to drag one of the Downton Abbey girls across the Atlantic.

SoManyWays

SoManyWays

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

I was hoping Uli would win, but I'm happy to see the last of Laura Kathleen.

bobbyjoe

bobbyjoe

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 12:03 AM

I get confused when designers start talking about "fur" on this show like Laura did tonight. I assume they mean faux-fur? (it sure looked that way). But I thought Tim Gunn (who's a major anti-fur activist) had stated the show was "no-fur"? And if that's the case and they don't want to promote fur, then shouldn't they take the two seconds it would take to say "faux fur" when they mean "faux fur"? Or did I miss something?

On another note, I'm convinced Ivy could send somebody down the runway with a spaghetti strainer on their head and a dirty bathrobe she'd picked up at a yard sale and these judges wouldn't "auf" her. And, dear God in Heaven, the thing she sent out tonight was probably the best thing she's offered all season. That's how beyond-awful she's been.

Bebecat

Bebecat

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 12:12 AM

Oh my I hate Laura Kathleen...I've had to fast forward every time she opens her mouth. Now I can run it through from now on.
I did like Uli's dress...it came out a lot better than it looked like it would.
AR's was pretty, but so simple. They really do love him.

Ivy's was horrible
Joshua's was ugly to me
What color was LK's anyway? On my weird TV the pants were a burnt orange/t colored and the crotch was very see-through.

LK just wants to do the palazzo pants and she had to do that fur piece.
Can't believe Ivy stayed though.

Edited by Bebecat, Dec 21, 2012 @ 12:16 AM.

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 1:15 AM

What color was LK's anyway? On my weird TV the pants were a burnt orange/t colored and the crotch was very see-through.

It was brick red on my TV. The crotch wasn't see through, but I could see the shadows that Georgina mentioned, you might have interpreted that as see through.

I would have given the win to Uli, and I would have sent Anthony Ryan home. I apparently have no fashion sense.

ETA: I would still have sent AR home, but I am glad without measure that Laura Kathleen was finally aufed.

Edited by Quilt Fairy, Dec 21, 2012 @ 1:16 AM.

laprin

laprin

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 1:15 AM

I can't believe I agreed with the judges for top/bottom and the winner. Makes me wonder if the end of the world is really upon us. I'm so glad to be rid of Laura Kathleen.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 2:11 AM

Surprise! I didnít hate either of Carolynís dresses!

Was Orange Josh wearing boxer shorts as regular shorts? I kept worrying that we would see if Josh was orange all over.

As for the dresses:
Josh-hated it, I thought that purple color was awful, & the brooch made me think of an iron cross medal from Germany.
Emilio-very pretty & I thought it looked perfect for a garden party
Uli-I liked it, it looked very Uli, I think that she really shows what her point of view is every week.
LK-Another jumpsuit, meh. The fur vest made me think of the 1970s, not the 20s, not sorry to see her go.
Ivy & Anthony Ryan-didnít like either one, I thought both were really ugly. ARís feather caplet made his model look like some kind of bird/human mutant, & Ivyís dress was barrel shaped. I really donít understand how AR won, Ivy was right, his dress was a 5.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 2:35 AM

LK was yammering on and on about that stupid fur [say the following like you might imagine the man on the "Monopoly" game talks]: "I immediately thought a woman in the '20s has to have her fur!" "I just love my fur!" and then she got smacked down over it! I was cheering. I also literally cheered when she got the boot. Her voiceover about being sooo grateful to have had the experience got a hearty "Bullshit!" out of me.

I question Joanna Coles's taste level. When she walked into the mentoring session, she clomped in like a horse. I don't know if it was the way her shoes fit or how they looked or what. That shirt with the peplum that started under her breasts made her look pregnant. Her hair looks just as over-processed as LK's, if not more so. The heavy black eyeliner seems aging.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 2:48 AM

Too bad it wasn't a double elimination. Bye Laura Kathleen, do please let the door hit you in the ass. I'm sure she swanned out of there like the pretentious idiot she is.

Art Deco would have been lovely if any of them had actually pulled it off. LK was the only one to even mention it and she did a lousy job. Josh's captured the 20s silhouette and style but I hated his color combination and the way the dress just seemed like several pieces of fabric lazily draped over each other. I with they would give them more time.

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 2:51 AM

Also, the instant decision on top and bottom.

It looked like they hadn't really hashed out whether Emilio or Josh was the top of their head-to-head challenge.

I, too, laughed at Georgina's demotion from beautiful to lovely! And Gretchen Mol does not STAR in "Boardwalk Empire." Whatever. I thought her comments were okay.

It seemed like there was something strange about the way the British woman spoke. But her comments were okay, too.

Glad to see the last of Laura Kathleen. When I heard the "if you stay..." remark, I thought that Ivy was a goner for sure. I think Ivy thought so, too. That was pretty cruel. I liked Ivy's dress better than hers although I agreed with whoever said that the chevron shape was flattering in the back but too heavy in the front.

whee whee piggy

whee whee piggy

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 4:18 AM

I don't care who wins, but a few Hah-hah moments tonight.

the crotch was very see-through.

and

The crotch wasn't see through, but I could see the shadows that Georgina mentioned, you might have interpreted that as see through.

It looked like the woman had a bulge. Not even the horror of camel-toe but a full on boybits set there. The highlight of the season for me was the Lovely Georgina freakin' the shit out over it. Only imagining Michael Kors reaction is better.

AR's dress was meh as usual, and won, as usual. Second fav moment was the Target Designer hating it, then deciding to 'look again' and suddenly realizing he LOVES IT.

Loved how Emilio wouldn't really play, and created a dress in the 1929 style. Er...You know what they wanted; don't be a smartyboots.

The greatest torture of the season for the designers was making them dress up in 'Twenties' style for the runway. But hilarious how Emilio appears to have come dressed as a newspaper boy, and Orange Josh remained a George Michael clone as though he wandered across set and into a bad Michael Jackson video from the 80's.

azzurro

azzurro

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 4:29 AM

Oh my I hate Laura Kathleen...I've had to fast forward every time she opens her mouth.

In this episode I hit the mute button every time Anthony Ryan opened his mouth. God, he's become insufferable - I cannot stand to listen to him anymore. Or look at him - his hair and his clothes are ridiculous. And as for him winning this week, give me a fucking break - that outfit was hideous, IMO. I was liking the capelet OK in the workroom, but on the runway I thought it looked like roadkill, and the dress was not pretty either. Uli should have gotten the win, but as soon as The Lovely (comedown! - lol) Georgina Chapman said that Anthony Ryan's look was more modern, I knew they were going to give it to him. I guess according to the judges, as long as something is "modern", the fact that it's ugly doesn't weigh into the equation at all.

I really liked Emilio's too - he's still my fave here, with Uli running a very close second. They're the only two who are really consistently good, IMO.

I don't think I hate LK quite as much as some others here do, but nonetheless I can't say I'm sorry she's gone. None of her designs have particularly impressed me. I agreed with the judges on this one - the top of her pantsuit looked great, but the bottom was boring and the little fur jacket was weird (although IMO Anthony Ryan's capelet looked just as weird).

I didn't mind Josh's dress - I could see why the judges liked it, although the shape of it in the front left something to be desired. As for Ivy, I think she lucked out because she picked a really great fabric, but her design seemed ill-conceived, and a bit too literal. She now seems to have a real problem with time management every week, too.

Edited by azzurro, Dec 21, 2012 @ 1:01 PM.

Kaleficent

Kaleficent

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 4:50 AM

So glad Isaac called out Emilio on his dress on being more 1930's than 1920's, since that's exactly what it was. Credit should have been given to Bob Mackie for creating that look for Diana Ross in Lady Sings The Blues. The first time I saw his model wear that dress in the workroom, I immediatly got the Diana Ross as Billie Holliday vibe. Besides the beautiful back design, there was nothing really modern about it. If Orange Josh would have used more expensive-looking fabric and styled a bit better, I think he could have won in his twosome.

Goodbye LK. Loved her anti-Uli rant about how adding "extras" like trim is somehow not designing, then immediatly bragged about adding fur. Pot+kettle = LK. Glad the judges called her out on yet another boring pants design. And the whole "battle of the blondes" thing - cracked me up. More like "battle of the blondes - one natural and one straight out of the bottle."

Just like in her original series, Ivy has escaped elimination way beyond her shelf date.

Didn't mind AR's dress. It was odd looking, but certainly "modern" enough for the judges. Uli's dress was nice, but I agree she should have done it in another color than white.

Edited by Kaleficent, Dec 21, 2012 @ 6:06 AM.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 6:54 AM

Wow. Laura Kathleen did not just come back from last week's sack-with-glitter-and-random-bedazzling and say that attaching trim isn't design.

I'm not going to miss her. I hope for her sake the St Louis junior socialites she designs for marry well, because I can't see anyone who works for a living wearing her clothes.

Uli should have won.

Edited by jmhm, Dec 21, 2012 @ 7:20 AM.

pomme de divan

pomme de divan

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 7:06 AM

I was sure Josh was in the B3 when I saw that ugly, shapeless, toga-like ensemble hit the runway.
I love Art Deco & basically liked all if the designs-except his.

AR is good, but so over-praised it makes me dislike him.
My little weinerschitzel, Uli, for the win. Danke.

meanbutnice

meanbutnice

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 8:08 AM

There is a Santa! (LK may be feeling differently.)

Tired of the AR praise. Maybe I just don't get fashion, but he and Josh.....just don't get the love.

Uli's and Emilio's were great tonight.

bluegirl547

bluegirl547

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 8:16 AM

Josh can't see beyond the broach, and I mean that literally and figuratively. He was ALWAYS insisting on including some garish THING on his outfits back in his season, even if it was to the detriment of the whole look. He seems incapable of taking a step back, clearing his head from his preconceived ideas, and being more organic about where he goes with his designs. That said, I've almost liked him a few times this year: the Hanukkah scroll reveal last episode and his cartwheel on this one. I even liked him prancing about in Anthony Ryan's capelet.

Edited by bluegirl547, Dec 21, 2012 @ 8:16 AM.

ClaireO

ClaireO

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 9:17 AM

What a relief! I didn't think LK's design was that bad, so I'm going to play conspiracy theorist for a moment: TPTB didn't want another winner that the fans hate, so they got rid of LK when they had the opportunity. More realistically, their criticisms were right, but Ivy's design was worse - as usual.

Carolyn's runway gown was stunning! It made me think for a moment that these designers are so weak by comparison to whoever did that look, but that person probably had more time to think about it than the designers did for the whole challenge.