2-11: "Mandala" 2009.05.17

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

7 replies to this topic

Romantique

Romantique

Fanatic

• Interests:Books, yoga, marathons, books, TV, movies, books, tennis, traveling, books, theater, museums...and did I mention books?

Posted Dec 16, 2012 @ 10:48 PM

The Great Breaking Bad Rewatch continues with "Mandala." Please be warned that this thread will include discussion of details from all aired episodes (4 seasons and half of season 5). For the full rewatch schedule, click here.

I know things have slowed down in recent weeks, and I have definitely fallen behind. But I plan to catch up with the discussion during the winter TV hiatus! Let's continue the discussion!

Atomic Clock

Atomic Clock

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

Someone refresh my memory...isn't this the episode in which we first meet Gus Fring?

myname2use4now

myname2use4now

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 5:55 PM

I watched this the other night and was struck by one thing. In this episode, we have a kid on a bike shooting Combo. Fast forward, to Dead Weight and we have a kid on a bike being shot. I wonder if as many people who were up in arms over the kid being shot in Dead Weight were in up in arms about a kid being used as an assassin by drug dealers. I mean, both kids are innocent and in the wrong place at the wrong time. One kid rides into danger while the other kid is born into it. I just thought it was an interesting similarity.

azure4

azure4

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

One kid rides into danger while the other kid is born into it. I just thought it was an interesting similarity.

It's the same kid - Tomas - who I believe was Andrea's kid brother. She talks to Jesse about his murder.

myname2use4now

myname2use4now

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 2:24 AM

It's the same kid - Tomas - who I believe was Andrea's kid brother. She talks to Jesse about his murder.

To clarify, I meant the kid that Todd kills in Dead Freight. The one who is hunting tarantulas in the desert on his motor bike.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 2:28 AM

One difference is that the kid who was used as an assassin and then murdered resulted in Jesse nearly getting killed, Walt rescuing him, and the story arc of Season 3 basically.

When the kid in Dead Freight gets killed, all they do is dispose of the body. This was, incidentally, why Jesse finally had it with the business and quit.

But by the time the kid in Dead Freight gets killed, this kind of stuff is business as usual.

computerwoes

computerwoes

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 12:06 AM

Someone refresh my memory...isn't this the episode in which we first meet Gus Fring?

It is and what an introduction. His mild-mannered smile gets me every time.

I really love the direction in this episode. A boy riding his bike through the city feels like the innocent who would become the victim when it was clear Combo was getting stared down. I was literally floored when it turned out the kid was there to enforce a hit. Very effective scene.

Oh, and I don't like how Jesse played his parents. I know I wasn't supposed to but I always felt pretty bad for them.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 12:35 AM

Oh, and I don't like how Jesse played his parents. I know I wasn't supposed to but I always felt pretty bad for them.

I have to admit I'm in what is probably the majority on this. I loved and drooled over Jesse and Saul completely raking his parents and their scumbag lawyer over the coals. I also loved that Saul, the smarmy, sleazy TV lawyer turned out to be far more shrewd and astute than the scumbag Jesse's parents had.

I loudly cheered and slammed the table as Saul beat the shit out of his opponent. It was one of my favorite scenes in the show.