24-8: "To Cur With Love" 2012.12.16

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

10 replies to this topic

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2012 @ 7:48 PM

From SNPP:

While everyone else is out helping Grampa pack so he can move in with the Simpsons after a fire at Springfield Retirement Castle, Homer is so busy playing "VillageVille" (not to be confused with FarmVille, or CityVille, or FarmVille 2, or CastleVille I hate Beasties with a fiery passion...) that he manages to lose Santa's Little Helper, which leads Grampa to tell the story of the puppy Homer had (and also lost) as a young boy

I might not be able to watch it because my local Fox station pre-empted programming for the memorial service in CT.

futurechemist

futurechemist

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 16, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

Wow that ranks up there with Jurassic Bark (Futurama) for Matt Groening created cartoon episodes about dogs that made me tear up.

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Dec 17, 2012 @ 1:03 AM

Abe really showed what a really great father he was. Doing all that for Homer.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 17, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

If anyone hears when this episode will air in the NYC area, please let me know. Or if it shows up on demand.

Mary2013

Mary2013

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 17, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

Braggtastic, I just watched it on demand on fios.

After 20 years of showing Abe as an emotionally abusive father, they suddenly start showing him as a loving one?

And they totally screwed up Wiggums back story.

futurechemist

futurechemist

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 17, 2012 @ 2:42 PM

After 20 years of showing Abe as an emotionally abusive father, they suddenly start showing him as a loving one?

And they totally screwed up Wiggums back story

Wiggum could have been a dog catcher after being a college security guard.

I didn't think of Abe as emotionally abusive, more like emotionally distant. And part of that could have been from Homer's resentment of losing his dog.

Ultimately, the emotional payoff of the episode was enough to warrant a few liberties with continuity.

Phoenix B

Phoenix B

Channel Surfer

• Interests:The Office<br />Buffy<br />30 Rock<br />Neon Genesis<br />Home Movies<br />The Real World Brooklyn<br />Dharma &amp; Greg<br />Law &amp; Order<br />The X Files<br />Veronica Mars<br />That 70s Show<br />The Simpsons<br />NewsRadio<br />Saturday Night Live

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 5:15 AM

An above average episode. I kind of don't like how they're just throwing out back stories without a lot of thought put into them. There definitely could have been a better story around Herman's missing arm.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Dec 23, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

Fox reran this episode tonight!

There definitely could have been a better story around Herman's missing arm.

His first appearance had him imply he lost it due to holding his arm out the window while riding the school bus. But I liked that he wrote a memoir, as well as Nelson, Willie, and Dr. Hibbert.

Wiggum could have been a dog catcher after being a college security guard.

It's totally plausible. Wiggum looked like a teen in the "Mother Simpson" flashback, here he seemed to be in his twenties.

My thoughts:

The Bill Plympton couch gag was good to see again.

Liked the new Montgomery Burns Award and the people vying for its prize. You'd think Burns would've declared Otto the winner with his child-slave powered school bus.

I'll admit, I enjoyed Homer playing VillageVille more than the Facebook episode or that RPG Marge played. Of course Homer would load his village up with taverns. "Oh my god! I forgot to feed my jackass!"

"Your story has an ending?"
"All my stories have endings now. They're putting stuff in my jell-o at the home!"

Bart would've loved Bongo (I see what you did there, show). He pulled the fire alarm for him on several occasions! And set the school on fire!

There were so many anachronisms in the scene with Mr. Burns. SNPP was "coming soon" when Homer was still a toddler. And Grampa never acknowledged their past as Hellfish. But I could buy Homer meeting Burns as a toddler and Burns would still never remember him. Also not surprised to see Krusty working, he's been in showbiz since at least the sixties (which is when I assume that flashback took place in).

So Homer & Abe's relationship wasn't sour because Abe was a lousy single dad (emotionally distant sounds about right. YOU raise Homer by yourself when your wife runs away with hippies), Homer just missed his dog! While I liked the ending, I wasn't a fan of all the retcons.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Dec 25, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

Wow I thought that was a really funny episode. Lots of good sight gags and lines. Plus it had a really funny and interesting story to go with it. After the hipster episode last week, that is two really funny episodes in a row, i'm very impressed.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted Dec 26, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

His first appearance had him imply he lost it due to holding his arm out the window while riding the school bus. But I liked that he wrote a memoir, as well as Nelson, Willie, and Dr. Hibbert.

Lisa's "Uh oh..." when she saw Nelson's was something I didn't catch until the second time. And it made me laugh, as that is the sort of nod to the show's history that I like. It's not so much a full story that may or may not contradict something else they did, but rather just an implication that something about Lisa might show up in a book by Nelson. Heh.

SmithW6079

SmithW6079

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 27, 2012 @ 6:25 PM

Wow that ranks up there with Jurassic Bark (Futurama) for Matt Groening created cartoon episodes about dogs that made me tear up.

When I realized it was about Homer and his dog, I was hesitant to watch, because "Jurassic Bark" makes me cry like a little baby. (I don't think I've watched it more than twice.)

At least in this one, Bongo finds happiness with a new family. In "Jurassic Bark," poor Seymour spends the rest of his life waiting for Fry.

Not sure where this came from:

I explained it to St. Peter,
I'd rather stay here
Outside the pearly gate.
I won't be a nuisance,
I won't even bark,
I'll be very patient and wait,
I'll be here, chewing on a celestial bone,
No matter how long you may be.
I'd miss you so much, if I went in alone,
It wouldn't be heaven for me.