2-12: "The Choice" 2012.12.16

• Please log in to reply

425 replies to this topic

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 9:55 AM

At first I was sure he didn't do it. Now I've rewatched part of the episode and I don't know. He's really odd looking in Carrie's office but it could be that he's just overwhelmed. There are some things to consider regarding motive:

I think too the more you look at it the more that it points to Brody. I mean if Brody didn't do it that means that at some point terrorists put a bomb in his car. And then somehow (unless there is a mole) terrorists snuck onto CIA property, broke into a car and then moved it to right in front of a main building (all without getting seen). It also means Brody is in one sense the luckiest man alive (because if he didn't do it then it means the terrorists wanted to kill him too)and the only thing that saved him was that he decided to get up in the middle of a memorial service, sneak out and go have sex with his mistress inside her mentor's office.

Now if he did do then it becomes a lot more likely. It means a bomb wasn't planted on the car without his knowledge (a bomb that big would probably take some time to install in a car. I would imagine it would also be heavy enough to be noticeable when you drive). It means the car wasn't broken into because he moved it. And it means he knew when to get up and leave because he knew the bomb was going to go off. To me all points to him knowing about it. Although I am not sure he knew that the video was going to be released.

neonlite

neonlite

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 12:26 PM

But Carrie gestured to Brody, not the other way around.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 1:50 PM

But Carrie gestured to Brody, not the other way around. 

I watched it again over the weekend, that scene at least. It looks to me like he looks down at something (his watch maybe to see when the bomb would go off), then starts making "this sucks I want to get out of here" faces at Carrie. After that she makes the gesture to leave. So to me at least it is open to interpretation who wanted to leave.

Also if it was someone else in Nazir's network who set up the bombing (without Brody's knowledge) I wonder how the whole timeline went down. They seemed to know for awhile the were going to try and kill the VP with his pacemaker. But did they decide before Nazir came to the US that they were going to attack the memorial (and probably kill Brody, his best US asset). Or did they come up with the entire plan at some point between Nazir meeting with Brody and Nazir's death (which was what a couple of days at most). The fact that there wouldn't have been a lot of time between releasing Brody and Nazir's death, and the fact that Nazir would certainly have to sign off on the attack, makes me think Brody was probably in on it.

neonlite

neonlite

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 9:49 PM

Brody's squirrely behavior could mean something or nothing. I'm not even sure the writers had decided at the end of last season. For me, an avid DL fan, I'm emotionally invested in Brody being innocent.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 6:39 AM

Brody's squirrely behavior could mean something or nothing. I'm not even sure the writers had decided at the end of last season. For me, an avid DL fan, I'm emotionally invested in Brody being innocent.

You are probably right, they probably knowingly set it up so that they could decide after the fact how they want to play it which is why there are things in the episode that could be clues if you wanted them to be, or they just could be nothing. Personally I think it would be cool if Brody was guilty, since it would be more interesting, create more drama and kill the Brody/Carrie relationship for good. Plus if he is guilty, tracking him down could be an interesting storyline.

Tingeling

Tingeling

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 20, 2013 @ 6:59 PM

I just finished watching season two and I'm eons late in writing in this thread (and it's the middle of the night where I am so bear with me) but here goes anyway.

Am I the only one who's suspicious of Saul? I've had my doubts about him from season one, really, but this episode really made me think he might turn out to be the real big bad. I couldn't understand why he chose to go to Nazir's burial rather than the VP memorial or why he tried to get Carrie to do the same - until the bomb went off and I began to wonder. Then after the bomb had gone off and his estranged wife called, ready to come back to him, I couldn't help but get suspicious some more. There's not exactly any hard evidence against him but I can't help wondering if they're dropping little hints that he's the actual big bad in the end. He was the only main CIA character who didn't go to the VP thing. The tragedy of the bombing makes his wife return to him, something he might have predicted/counted on if he really is the bad guy. Suddenly he's in charge of the CIA. I don't think he would want Carrie to die but he could have a "sacrifices must be made" mentality. 

Most likely this theory is completely off and has already been proven impossible with the season three episodes that have aired but I couldn't help voicing it.