Amish Mafia

• Please log in to reply

240 replies to this topic

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 11:47 AM

I guess sticking a skunk (or its musk) in the air vents is one way to stop a party! ha ha

I knew someone was going to make a joke about Intercourse, PA, so I was glad they got that out of the way early.

Merlin had Wayne chop down and dynamite the maple trees because he's not as clever as he thinks he is.

How is Freeman getting to Paradise so fast to vandalize things?

Why is dandelion wine so bad, in the eyes of the Amish, as opposed to the normal grape variety?

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 1:14 PM

Freeman can't be real. He is the scariest dude I've ever seen on TV who really should be locked away somewhere. When the woman came to see Levi about someone bothering patrons in her cafe, I knew who it had to be. And then someone says John and Esther won't be far behind. John is halfway there already. I don't know how Freeman's getting there unless he's got a bike and he rides at night. That fits. With a lit torch strapped onto his handlebars.

I don't know much about dandelion wine but here in the south it's sort of a cousin to moonshine. Potent. Maybe that's why.

I learn something every time I watch this show. I can kill mushrooms with baking soda! Loved the goofy guy patting the tree and telling it that it's going to be OK.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2013 @ 4:14 PM

For some reason, this show's version of the clichéd shot of a bad-ass guy walking away from an explosion they're playing in the trailers for this season tickles me pink. Who knew those buggies could be so explosive?

Phred62

Phred62

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 8:29 AM

I didn't get the point of cutting down the maple trees. They were producing and a good income was lost. It could have been handled differently to out Levi's business without blaming the trees.

I don't understand how Levi having his OWN maple syrup business and keeping the money himself, is any different than any other Amish person selling something and keeping the money.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 11:50 AM

OK, who else was laughing their ass off when Wayne did that drive-by shitting in his horse and buggy?

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 4:33 PM

I don't understand how Levi having his OWN maple syrup business and keeping the money himself, is any different than any other Amish person selling something and keeping the money.

Anyone within the Amish community who has a money-making enterprise is supposed to be giving some of that money to the community chest. They went to Esther to ask for money from her quilt shop. Levi was keeping ALL of the money from his syrup business, a no-no.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 5:43 AM

Merlin's in a type of massage healing rehab. The producers said some things happened off screen that dictated he needed help. I agree he's a little odd, but I never saw him as dangerous. Mabe he was suicidal?

Levi's in trouble. Allen told the bishop about him keeping all the money from the maple syrup business. Everyone in the community is now refusing to pay up. Esther is playing with fire now in her attempt to become queen bee. The men with the straight jacket came and kidnapped Freeman, at her request, and it was really creepy hearing her say "The police can only hold Freeman for so long. Levi can get rid of people for good."

I also laughed my ass off at Wayne's drive-by, that was hilarious!

Caleb is called a Brethren. Does anyone know why that's a bad thing? Or why the bishop wouldn't want him around his daughter. I get the impression he already knows about Caleb, given what he said to Allen about him being someone to keep an eye on.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 6:59 AM

Merlin's in a type of massage healing rehab. The producers said some things happened off screen that dictated he needed help. I agree he's a little odd, but I never saw him as dangerous. Mabe he was suicidal?

I thought he was having a nervous breakdown.

I also laughed my ass off at Wayne's drive-by, that was hilarious!

I think the best part was Merlin catching up with Wayne's buggy, climbing on it, and falling off it.

I need to ask Dad about "Ascension Day" b/c I never heard of such a thing before. And about the funeral rites.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 8:14 AM

Didn't Merlin have issues before? Wasn't he shunned because of it?

The reason this show fascinates me is I am learning more about the Amish way of life (yes, I know, the whole mafia things is contrived). But it has me asking questions and wanting to know more about how they live and work.

Alvin strikes me as being slow. Not in a movement sort of way. Levi asks him a question and he just stands there and stares as if he's trying to figure out how to say something. Having him try those mushrooms probably didn't help his brain any.

Caleb I am still trying to figure out. He's a Brethren, and I don't know what that entails or how you are labeled as such. He's also a huge flirt who likes to date more than one girl at a time, even though he says he's being with the bishop's daughter as his only date right now. And he's skirting on the edge of getting into real trouble with Levi. He knows what Levi does to people who piss him off, but he goes ahead and does it anyway. Because his personal life is his own and he doesn't like being watched 24/7.

I like Wayne. I don't know why, but he is fun to watch more than anyone on this show. I guess because he just doesn't give a shit. He tosses it instead! :)

Edited by cooksdelight, Sep 9, 2013 @ 9:33 AM.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 9:32 AM

Alvin and John both seem to be a bit dim-witted to me. I have a feeling I should know what a Brethren is but am drawing a blank. Caleb's quite a cute Casa Nova but I wondered about the discrepency in how many girls he is seeing.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 9:40 AM

I just laughed at Caleb, thinking about him riding around on an old tractor and saying "Hey baby, wanna go for a ride?"

Esther seems to be the only one of her generation that managed to be somewhat normal. Freeman is looney as a bat and John isn't far behind. He's going to go shoot Levi? Sure ya are.

I looked up Brethren to see what sect or group it means and found this:

Old German Baptist Brethren and Old Order River Brethren
Three other non-Amish groups are easily confused with the Amish because they wear distinctive plain dress: Old German Baptist Brethren, Old Order River Brethren, and Hutterites. The two Brethren groups trace their roots to the Schwarzenau (Germany) Brethren Movement of 1708 -- a synthesis of radicalPietism and Anabaptism. Members of these two Brethren groups are often misidentified as Amish because their plain clothing closely resembles Amish dress and Brethren men also grow beards, but both groups drive cars, use electricity, and permit higher education and use of the Internet.

http://www.pbs.org/w...icle/amish-who/

That might explain why Caleb is a little looser than the other guys. I still wonder how it is that Levi drives around in a Caddy and no one has questioned what he's doing with all the money he collects.

Macthekat

Macthekat

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2013 @ 9:31 PM

My favorite part was seeing Merlin riding his regular-sized horse and Wayne riding his mini horse. 

I just watched last week's episode of Top Gear (US) and those guys had a challenge to get an authentic Amish hat, so they went to PA. I told MrMac that I bet Esther would pop up riding in one of the guys' cars. I wasn't far off, Giant Steve (I think is his name, one of Levi's newer goons) was the one who took a ride in a Lamborghini for his hat.  

Alvin strikes me as being slow. (still having issues with quotes not ending up in the quote box)

He's always stuck me as quite slow, too. 

Has Freeman ever uttered a word? I don't recall ever hearing him say a thing. 

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2013 @ 4:26 AM

Giant Steve! He's missing on this show, last they showed. Allen had something to do with trashing Steve's home, at Merlin's instruction, and then Steve went missing. The producer asked Allen about it and he said he wouldn't talk about it. The producer kept pushing and Allen got up and left. This happened a couple of episodes ago, and there's been no mention of Steve since then.

I've never heard Freeman say anything. I had visions of him sounding like Frankenstein, unable to form a sentence.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2013 @ 10:16 AM

If memory serves, Big Steve suddenly showed up (or contacted Levi on his phone) saying he left town for his family's safety but wouldn't elaborate.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Sep 11, 2013 @ 11:31 AM

Looks like Levi is going to be shunned unless he can pull a miracle out of his butt. The bishop auctioned off all of his belongings, a bible was left on his doorstep with scripture marked to tell him what his crime is (being too wrapped up in money). John is carted off to South Dakota and Esther is left holding the bag. She wanted to be with Levi to restore her reputation but boy has that backfired, bigtime!

I am not sure what will happen to Alan after Levi starts putting all the pieces together, if he ever does.

I did not need to see Wayne shirtless and fighting a much bigger man. Any more than I needed to see Merlin washing the dirty guy's feet. I am with Alan, these people in KY are just not right. Merlin seems to have recovered quickly from whatever was ailing him, but he still doesn't seem right in the head. 

Speaking of which, who told Alvin to bust up the storekeeper's place? I think he and Caleb's days are numbered, along with Levi's. One more episode to go in this season.

Edited by cooksdelight, Sep 11, 2013 @ 2:56 PM.

Macthekat

Macthekat

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2013 @ 11:56 AM

Never thought I'd be Team Alan, but after last night, I realized he says exactly what I'm thinking or either I giggle over something he says about what's going on. He almost seems like the voice of reason in all the cray cray going on. 

Decided to search him and found: http://www.dailymail...er-injured.html

How blatant, he's an actor and producer of the show...glad there's only one more episode as it all keeps getting more and more over-the-top. 

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Sep 11, 2013 @ 2:56 PM

So Alan's going to prison, which means he won't be around next season (I guess) to receive the wrath of Levi. And didn't Alan say that it was because of Levi that he wound up in jail the first time, that Levi ratted him out for having the hut parties with drugs present, something Levi thinks only he can control? Now we learn he's an actor AND a producer of the show? Geez, this gets more confusing every day.

Edited by cooksdelight, Sep 11, 2013 @ 2:57 PM.

Macthekat

Macthekat

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2013 @ 7:45 PM

Yes, I believe that is what Alan said how he ended up in jail the first time...it was all Levi's fault so that's why he is hellbent to get him back. yada yada yada I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out whoever the actor is who plays Levi is also one of the producers of this show. That would explain a lot because I also agree with you about it is more and more confusing with every episode. 

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Sep 11, 2013 @ 9:42 PM

Didn't they show mugshots at one time for just about everyone on this show, even Esther?

Macthekat

Macthekat

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2013 @ 10:54 PM

Yep, I believe they have. Most recently I remember seeing Caleb's mugshot and rap sheet. It happens every time they add another 'character' to the show or when they want to remind us how bad-a$$ someone is. 

Divaah46

Divaah46

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2013 @ 12:13 PM

I can't help but watch this show despite knowing it's fake.  It's weirdly interesting.  But I worry about Freeman.  He should be under proper psychiatric care, not undergoing an exorcism. 

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Sep 13, 2013 @ 2:17 PM

Same here, it's entertaining and the music and producer questions this year make it even more fun to watch. Seeing Levi get taken down will be enjoyable as well. Because you KNOW he'll retaliate. Bigtime!

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 12:16 PM

I still wonder how it is that Levi drives around in a Caddy and no one has questioned what he's doing with all the money he collects

According to some early posters, the reason Levi and his crew can drive cars, carry guns, don't have beards, etc. is because they are not baptized into the Amish church and therefore they have a lot more than an Amish man normally would have.  One of the posters also pointed out that someone not baptized into the Amish church wouldn't be able to collect Amish aid.  However that fits into my theory that what we're seeing isn't them collecting Amish aid but rather extortion money.  Those businesses are paying for protection but it's mostly protection from Levi and his crew.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 6:44 AM

Thank you, I knew he wasn't baptized and I guess my question was exactly what you addressed. So...they are shunning someone who isn't a member of their church? If he wasn't supposed to be collecting Amish aid money, and all it was was extortion....now the bishop is getting involved. Because someone else who isn't a member of the church is fooling around with his daughter. Ay yi yi yi! You'd think the producers would do a better job of making this truer to life. Oh wait, Alan is one of the producers. Nevermind. LOL!! I can envision these guys and Esther sitting around one day, getting high and getting the idea for this reality show. "Hey, we can do it about the Amish since we know all these people and since no one really knows what goes on here, they'll believe anything. We'll be rich!"

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 3:24 PM

You'd think the producers would do a better job of making this truer to life.

At least they're finally bringing in a real villain.  Merlin is nothing but a bad joke(although Wayne is awesome) but this Paul guy is one scary mofo.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 8:16 PM

Paul and his stinky, dirty feet. Lord help them if Paul ever checks Freeman out of the looney bin and recruits him.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 2:34 PM

Thinking about it, I think Paul and his crew's feet were dirty only because they wanted to see if Levi would wash them.  As Paul said that's an act of humility in the Christian faith originating from Jesus washing the feet of the Disciples.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 7:06 AM

Paul can't be the strict Amish he claims to be if he's on camera, and not blurred like his henchmen. Merlin's transformation at the wellness center didn't take if he's now out for Levi's blood. Speaking of stuff not sinking in, Levi goes to sign autographs, pose for photos at the library right after his talk with the bishop. And gets Esther on the bandwagon to say Alan lied to the bishop (when he clearly did not, about anything). What happened to the receipts Alan had, did he not give those to the bishop as proof? Why not confront Levi with those? I thought Alan served time for his crime already, why the do-over?

Can't wait for the episode next week regarding the fakeness of the show. And to find out what happened to Caleb.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 6:25 AM

I think about this show too much. During my fortnight in Germany, our guide mentioned celebrating Acsention Day and my first thought was about the Amish Mafia ep and I had to ask if it was as festive as on the show. I don't think he understand my question b/c he didn't really answer it.

Can't wait for the episode next week regarding the fakeness of the show

Oh no, is the season over already?

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 7:47 AM

Yes, last week with them taking Caleb into the barn was the finale. The "tell all" behind the scenes stuff airs tonight. Looks like they are running a marathon today, in case anyone missed something.