Amish Mafia

• Please log in to reply

240 replies to this topic

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 4:15 PM

I just saw an promo for the reunion show coming this week. How sad is it that I am excited to see it?

Did anyone notice that when Merlin's midget henchman took a sledgehammer to Levi's windshield it fell into the car on the first blow and it was suddenly back in his hands and the window had several impact points?

ETA:
Oh! I don't know how I missed this the first time, but I laughed my arse off at the sight of John's rocking parked buggy!

Edited by ubi, Jan 13, 2013 @ 4:20 PM.

KarenESP

KarenESP

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 4:50 PM

Thought it was pretty funny when the sledgehammer slipped right out of the little amish person's miniature hands ((:

Edited by KarenESP, Jan 13, 2013 @ 4:50 PM.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 7:23 PM

This question has been bugging me tody. If you piss off the Mafia, they leave a horsehead on your pillow; what do thr Amish Mafia leave? A buggy wheel? A wheel of cheese and summer sausage?

careyfsu

careyfsu

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 7:53 PM

It was creepy to me that the girl Levi was with at the fair looked so similar to Esther. How can new girl not realize she is the rebound?

aimlessbird

aimlessbird

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 10:02 PM

Maybe the girl realized and just didn't care.

Macthekat

Macthekat

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 3:57 PM

This question has been bugging me tody. If you piss off the Mafia, they leave a horsehead on your pillow; what do thr Amish Mafia leave? A buggy wheel? A wheel of cheese and summer sausage?

I would hope the Amish from the Homestead, FL, area would leave their delicious cinnamon rolls or strawberry shakes on my pillow.

discoprincess

discoprincess

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 4:30 PM

I would hope the Amish from the Homestead, FL, area would leave their delicious cinnamon rolls or strawberry shakes on my pillow.

I would settle for fudge.

Kapsberger

Kapsberger

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 10:17 PM

I feel like at least half of the quotes on the reunion show boiled down to this: "I hate when people think that just because I'm Amish, I would act Amish or adhere to even the tiniest fraction of Amish beliefs."

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 10:27 PM

The rocking buggy made my night!

313Mary

313Mary

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 10:33 PM

I feel like at least half of the quotes on the reunion show boiled down to this: "I hate when people think that just because I'm Amish, I would act Amish or adhere to even the tiniest fraction of Amish beliefs."

And if Amish people are complaining, they aren't supposed to be watching TV anyway so they should shut up.

Oh, that was supposed be my addition to what the cast is saying at the reunion, sorry.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 6:13 AM

And don't forget "I really am Amish! I'm not an actor! Honest!"

The new footage in the "Devil's Edition"(?) of the finale cleared things up for me but I don't remember the scene with Jolin leaving the silo, followed shortly by John.

While watching the Black Amishman tell his story made me realize he looked like the guy from Fine Young Cannibals.

discoprincess

discoprincess

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 9:17 AM

And if Amish people are complaining, they aren't supposed to be watching TV anyway so they should shut up.

Or hanging out so much with "English" people who have TVs and would be watching this. I could see their point.

I still think Merlin is crazy.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 10:49 AM

Oh! I don't know how I missed this the first time, but I laughed my arse off at the sight of John's rocking parked buggy!

Wenn dies buggy schüttelt, nicht klopfen! (German, loosely translated, "If this buggy's rockin', don't come knockin'!") They use a dialect of German when they're talking privately, or as I call it, Germ-Lish.

I think they all believe that since they're not baptized, and still technically in rumspringa, that they can do pretty much whatever, and as long as they're out of it by the time they are baptized, they'll be off scot-free. The police may hold a different idea, however.

Meh. I gave it a chance, and all I got out of Amish Mafia is that "Amish can be bad-ass! Honest! No, really, though!" Methinks they doth protest too much.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 7:07 PM

It was creepy to me that the girl Levi was with at the fair looked so similar to Esther. How can new girl not realize she is the rebound?

I, personally, thought she was much cuter than Esther. I can't see her being jealous of Esther.

KarenESP

KarenESP

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 4:29 PM

Esther's all like - girls just wanna have fun... but how old is she? Mid to late twenties? Too old for all this monkey business me thinks

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 5:57 PM

Well, Esther was raped when she was 14 and had her first child as a result of that, which forced her to miss those wild teenage years(such as they are for the amish) and I would think she didn't get to go on Rumspringa either. My mother got pregnant with me when she was 15 and had me a month after she turned 16, shortly afterwards my grandmother kicked her out of the house so my mother had to fend for herself and grow up really fast and missed most of her wild teen years too. As a result she did a lot of stuff and got involved with the wrong type of guys when she was in her twenties. So although I agree Esther's too old for all this craziness, and I hope for her children's sake she realizes that sooner rather than later, I can understand why Ester is acting the way she is and in my experience it's very realistic.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Jan 19, 2013 @ 6:05 PM.

redogue

redogue

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 2:24 PM

I live in Lancaster County. I noticed on several episodes the screen had "Lancaster County Police refused to participate". There is NO Lancaster County Police. Most townships have their own police force. Towns also have their own police force. Lancaster City is policed by Lancaster City Police. Where I live we our police force is East Hempfield Township.

313Mary

313Mary

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 4:12 PM

There's no county sheriff''s department?

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 4:24 PM

Maybe they meant the sheriff's department?

Lancaster Co. Sheriff

discoprincess

discoprincess

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 9:41 AM

So although I agree Esther's too old for all this craziness, and I hope for her children's sake she realizes that sooner rather than later

I think she realizes it on some level. When she was at the beach with Levi, she told him she had to consider other people (her children) as well when proceeding with a man. I tend to believe her...unless she said that as an excuse to not get closer to Levi. (Maybe it's a combination of both.)

I wonder how Esther provides for the children. I wonder if Levi's crew provide "assistance" for single mothers in the community (and how ironic if Esther were to have to rely on such "assistance" one day).

I also can't believe TPTB had that scene of Esther confronting Levi and his date at the county fair. Esther has constantly talked about how uninterested she is in Levi and now TPTB want us to believe Esther will cut a bitch over Levi?

Dog in the manger much? (ETA: Clarification re: this expression.)

Maybe the girl realized and just didn't care [about being the rebound chick].

Barb seems to be interested in the financial security Levi can provide.

Edited by discoprincess, Jan 22, 2013 @ 1:25 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 12:31 PM

Dog in the manger much?

I have no idea what that means.

c crean

c crean

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 8:13 AM

"Dog in a manger" is a saying more used in the UK than in the United States. There is an Aesop's fable about a dog that lives in a manger (a place filled with grain) who will not let oxen eat the grain. The point is, the dog cannot eat the grain because dogs don't eat grain. The oxen could eat the grain, but is denied the grain by the snarling dog. Acting like a dog in a manger means that a person prevents somebody else from using or having something he himself can't use.

The dog gets malicious satisfaction from denying others the use of something he himself can't use. "Dog in a manger" has a lot of subtle meanings. Basically it means that out of envy or selfishness a person denies another person something they want or need , even though letting the other person have the thing would cost nothing to the third party. (The dog.)

And watch out if you call Esther a dog! Her brother will come get you! On second thought, no worries because her loser brother isn't a threat to anybody.

I guess you could say that a dog in a manger is "buzz killer" or a "party pooper."

discoprincess

discoprincess

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 9:34 AM

And watch out if you call Esther a dog! Her brother will come get you! On second thought, no worries because her loser brother isn't a threat to anybody.

As much as I can't take Merlin seriously, I take John even less seriously. Esther wears the pants in that dynamic. It's too bad she's a girl because she has more potential to move up in that organization than John ever will.

c crean

c crean

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 4:11 PM

Discoprincess - You are right. As much as Esther annoys me, I'm sure it's frustrating for her to live in a culture that gives precidence to male members of the family. T'was ever thus. If you look at history you see many examples of a daughter being the savvy one in the family, and yet she is by-passed by an incompetent brother when it comes to inheritance. But John really takes the prize for dummies. Two french-fries short of a happy meal, two bean sprouts short of a Chinese take-away, etc. - all those sayings apply to John. As much as I love the program for its mental junk food value, I find TAM hard to watch because John is so stupid. Merlin looks like a genius compared to John. And Merlin is thicker than a plank and batshit crazy to boot.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 4:16 PM

"Dog in a manger" is a saying more used in the UK than in the United States. There is an Aesop's fable about a dog that lives in a manger (a place filled with grain) who will not let oxen eat the grain. The point is, the dog cannot eat the grain because dogs don't eat grain. The oxen could eat the grain, but is denied the grain by the snarling dog. Acting like a dog in a manger means that a person prevents somebody else from using or having something he himself can't use

Thanks for the explanation, c. crean Not a bad expression but I think I'll stick with cockblocker.

While I agree with everyone that John is far from the brightest guy around, his is a special kind of dangerous because he is so stupid but also wants to prove to everyone how smart he is. Esther needs to really worry because people like him are a serious threat to themselves and to the people around them.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Jan 23, 2013 @ 4:19 PM.

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 4:34 PM

My DVR picked up an episode on Sunday that it thought was new (it had Merlin in the title) but it was old. I need my shameful fix!

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 6:16 PM

But John really takes the prize for dummies. Two french-fries short of a happy meal, two bean sprouts short of a Chinese take-away, etc. - all those sayings apply to John.

I don't think John is crazy, just slow-witted.

Thanks for the explanation, c. crean Not a bad expression but I think I'll stick with cockblocker.

That's the idiom I was thinking.

My DVR picked up an episode on Sunday that it thought was new (it had Merlin in the title) but it was old. I need my shameful fix!

Are they playing an expanded version of the "reunion" with more bonus footage?

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 6:28 PM

Hm, it was the buggy race episode, and once I saw it was a rerun I didn't think to keep watching to see if there was bonus footage. Maybe that was it.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 5:51 PM

My guess is that John is the way he is because he has a serious drug problem. I mean, come on, his face screams methhead.

It's a shame Esther grew up where she did, because I think she could have become a corporate CEO in another life.

Edited by MethodActor05, Feb 15, 2013 @ 5:54 PM.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2013 @ 11:57 AM

There is a new 2-hr special airing Sunday night at 8. Something about an Amish exorcism. Who knew? :)