S10 - Sheldon Simeon

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

9 replies to this topic

seltzer4

seltzer4

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:57 PM

Probably one of the only guys I am rooting for right now, because he's not a douchebag. Seems to have the chops to make it far.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2013 @ 9:39 PM

I'm worried about Sheldon, because I really, really like him, but he seems to be stalling right now. He's so good natured and warm, and I've enjoyed his point of view and how he adapts it to most challenges, without losing his voice. But lately he's been flailing. I hope he pulls it together, because if Josie and Josh outlast him I'm going to be sad.

jeansheridan

jeansheridan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 12:48 AM

Wow, very little talk about Sheldon. I guess his cooking skills speak for him. I think he's darling and I hope he wins the whole show. He's got such a lovely mellow energy. No trash talk, just good cooking. And I sort of love the mellow Josh/Sheldon show.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 8:01 AM

I've only watched two previous seasons of this show so I don't have a deep history with it but that doesn't stop me from absolutely loving and adoring Sheldon and calling him my favorite ever. He's such a nice, pleasant, easy-going guy and I have this crazy desire to give him a hug.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 9:47 PM

Dear Sheldon,

Please get out of your own head - you're a terrific cook and a lovely person and I don't want you to get in your own way.

Hugs and Kisses,
TudorQueen

bawarner

bawarner

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 9:40 PM

From the latest episode thread:

Which brings me to my second Sheldon issue - he spends the entire season cooking asian food then whines that he doesn't want to be known as the chef who just cooks asian food. To me that demands some snark.

What's the definition of "Asian" cuisine and what does it mean to be an "Asian" chef? Asia encompasses a bunch of countries, ranging from the likes of Japan, China, Korea, Thailand, Indian, Malaysian, Singaporean, etc. Food from each of these countries vary tremendously and it's intellectually dishonest to lump all foods from that region as "Asian."

A chef like Stefan never gets called out for sticking with Finnish/German food; Fabio can cook Italian day and night; and Kevin G. can make rustic Southern food for each of his dishes, but chefs like Sheldon get pigeonholed as "Asian" chefs simply because they make dishes that they are familiar with and have grown up with?

I don't really know what it means to be an asian chef and agree with how many countries can be included under the umbrella. However, I didn't try to label Sheldon as a chef who only cooks asian food - Sheldon was the one who brought it up in a roundabout way first. He made the comment that he didn't want to be known as that after cooking a variety of asian food all season. And really that particular comment of his did a pretty good job of lumping all asian food together.

Yeah, Stefan should be called out for the same thing Josh is getting called out for. I don't know about the others since they weren't that season. I don't know that Sheldon has been "pigeonholed" but if he has, he was the one that did it first with his comment.

I honestly don't give a rip what Sheldon cooks or how he wants to be seen - just don't think it's fair to not criticized him for doing the same things as Josh. And I still think his comment about how he wants to not be seen is snark-worthy.

As always though, YMMV.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 1:08 PM

I don't know that Sheldon has been "pigeonholed" but if he has, he was the one that did it first with his comment.

Maybe he's seen previous seasons of Top Chef and has seen other Asian chefs before him getting dinged for cooking Asian, while the chefs cooking "white" food get off scot free. In which case, I don't blame him for worrying about it preemptively. Top Chef has a less-than-stellar history in this regard.

fliptopbox

fliptopbox

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 8:20 PM

I dunno if anyone else has noticed...but Sheldon is from Hawaii. He only finds a way to mention it during EVERY FREAKING CHALLENGE. The way he talks about his culture/heritage/homeland you would think it was some third world foreign country never heard of by civilized human beings.

You know...and not the fiftieth freaking state or anything. Come on!

Is this driving anyone else nuts as well?

Edited by fliptopbox, Feb 20, 2013 @ 8:20 PM.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 7:43 AM

Sheldon talking about Hawaii doesn't bother me in the least and I'm sure he was being prompted by the producers to mention his home state and his heritage since that was sort of his "angle."

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2013 @ 3:03 PM

Congrats to Sheldon for being named Fan Favorite. I didn't vote - I actually had too many favorites this season! - but I was very happy for him. He certainly seems like a lovely human being, Kristen and Brooke admitted that they voted for him (loved Kristen's "he's my fan favorite!" response to Andy Cohen), and I do think his story - dishwasher to cheftestant - resonated with a lot of people.