8-10: "The Over-Correction" 2012.12.10

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

45 replies to this topic

tvallthetime

tvallthetime

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 11:51 PM

I didn't really care for this episode. It's still not funny that Robin yells at Patrice (why on earth would Patrice want to help that hosebeast?). I didn't think it was funny that Lily would sneak into Barney's apartment and use his stuff. Ted was just ridiculous, as usual. The mother isn't in your dumb red cowboy boots. Stopping looking for your borrowed items and look for the mother!

When are we supposed to believe Marshall had this standup career?

WedgeOfSpite

WedgeOfSpite

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 1:13 AM

I liked a lot of this episode, and found parts of it pretty funny. So an improvement over a lot of this season.

I can handle Barney with Patrice and it being a play to get Robin, because it looks like Patrice is on it. If she wasn't, that would be pretty low, but given the direction of this episode, I think they're working together.

Even as horrible as Robin is being to Patrice, and being as pathetic as she's being, it strangely didn't bother me as much as it might have, if it wasn't talked about on the show with other characters calling her out on parts of it, and her even acknowledging parts of it. Of course like last week, even when she does seem to get it, it doesn't seem to be sticking, but I do have some hope that will happen to a degree later on. Not that I expect that much growth, of course, because a.) it's a TV show and totally nice, non-neurotic characters are usually boring b.) people are fucked up in real life, and changing is an ongoing process that isn't always up, and to the right. A lot of time it's going backwards, or not moving at all. In fact I would say that for most people, they don't really change that much, most of the time. So good job on the intervention. Maybe later it will really sink in.

Oh and I loved Barney's tie tree.

Edited by WedgeOfSpite, Dec 12, 2012 @ 1:58 AM.

FreakyBunny

FreakyBunny

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

First off, Barney would never go for a woman like Patrice. He's fallen for three people over the last few years and all of them were drop dead gorgeous. Patrice isn't. I buy the "long con" theory. I believe he knew the others were there. First clue? Robin drilled a hole in his door. Barney would obviously notice that, and since he's involved in all sorts of shady business dealings with Goliath, he would be suspicious...so he had to know it was just Robin, Lily, and Ted in there. Speaking of Ted, he was being very transparent.

Now, we could be wrong about all this because the show is a shadow of its former self. But I don't think so. I actually believe we are at the beginning of a long, long hoped for growth arc for Ted, Barney, and Robin that will set up the final act of the series. Which they will almost certainly mess up. It's the "almost" that keeps me coming back for more.

ddawn23

ddawn23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

Why on earth does Barney have two closets in his bedroom?

It's the master bedroom. Isn't that pretty standard? I mean, master bedrooms are frequently occupied by two people, both of whom need someplace to keep their clothes. Every house I've ever lived in has had two closets in the master bedroom.

And anyway, Barney is a clotheshorse and considers his suits to be sacred. I can totally see him putting in a second closet so his suits won't have to be subjected to living next to other, less worthy clothes.

CleoCaesar

CleoCaesar

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

So now we know that Barney is not only willing to break up otherwise-happy marriages in order to get laid but possibly get an innocent man murdered. And we're supposed to be rooting for him to get together with Robin?

Barney's not above dressing up as a police officer to get women to sleep with him (=coerced sex). He's a creep through and through.

I hate the Patrice storyline. What is the reason everyone thinks it's so ridiculous? Because she's overweight and not-blond. That's it. We're supposed to laugh at her as some charity case. Gross.

ddawn23

ddawn23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

I hate the Patrice storyline. What is the reason everyone thinks it's so ridiculous? Because she's overweight and not-blond. That's it. We're supposed to laugh at her as some charity case. Gross.

It's not that we think it's ridiculous because she's fat. It's because throughout the entire history of this show no matter where Barney is in life, through good times and bad, through character growth and relapses, through every time he's ever realized how absurd his standards are, the one standard he has continuously clung to is "No fatties." It's the punchline he gives at the ends of character growth eps. "You're right, guys. I can date a girl who's 30, but no fatties!" Cut to everyone else smiling and saying "Oh, Barney!" For me, at least, it's jarring to see him suddenly in this ostensibly stable relationship with a fat girl without any exposition whatsoever.

FreakyBunny

FreakyBunny

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 8:25 AM

For me, at least, it's jarring to see him suddenly in this ostensibly stable relationship with a fat girl without any exposition whatsoever.

You hit the nail right on the head with that one, ddawn23. Whether it's a long con or not, whether Barney is on a growth arc or not, there has been no exposition and therefore events seems very, very out of the blue. Whatever happens next there's no moment we can point to and say "Ah! Of Course! Should have seen in coming!". All we really have is Barney intentionally appearing to not taking notice of Ted, Robin, and Lily in their respective closets, and Barney and Patrice's discussion on the balcony. Even put together they are not enough.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

It's still not funny that Robin yells at Patrice (why on earth would Patrice want to help that hosebeast?).

Maybe she's hoping Robin won't be such a horrible person if she's happy.

What is the reason everyone thinks it's so ridiculous? Because she's overweight and not-blond.

I don't think her not being blonde has anything to do with it. Robin and Lily are both supposed to be incredibly desirable and neither of them are blonde. I'm betting the mother isn't blonde, either, because when Ted imagined the future if he married the blonde Stella his children's hair color changed to blonde and if their mother was blonde then it would be the same as in his fantasy so no hair change.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

Every house I've ever lived in has had two closets in the master bedroom.

But Barney lives in an apartment, not a house. I'm not saying there aren't apartments with two closet bedrooms, but I think they're a lot more rare.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 11:17 AM

I liked this episode more than any this season, but that is a low standard.

ANd I still just don't buy Barney and the new girlfriend together. Mainly because I tire of the same storyline "Barney is a changed man for this girl".

7LeafClover

7LeafClover

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 11:22 AM

But Barney lives in an apartment, not a house. I'm not saying there aren't apartments with two closet bedrooms, but I think they're a lot more rare.

I don't know about NYC apartments, but I had some apartments in Chicago with 2 closets in the master bedroom. And I'm nowhere near Barney-rich. Also, it's likely he owns a condo and could've renovated for that (or bought something that was renovated with 2 closets).

I hope whatever is going on with Patrice has a good payoff and she doesn't get hurt in the process.

Reese2029

Reese2029

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

I thought this episode was funny because of Ted's stuff. And the cowboy boots. It's always a good episode when Ted wears his red cowboy boots.

Marshall is the only one of the five who's even remotely deserving of a happy ending.

Yup. And I liked his stand up act, but Jason Segel looked too thin in that bit.

But what made me laugh out loud was Mickey's "You've been bumping uglies with my daughter for years, and I climb up on your mom and you have a problem with it?!" SO GROSS. Mickey is so gross. Chris Elliot skeeves me out, always.

Yuck to everything about Chris Elliot and Mickey. I was soooo skeeved by his "keeping it in the family" (or something like that) comment. Gross. Gross. Gross.

So now we know that Barney is not only willing to break up otherwise-happy marriages in order to get laid but possibly get an innocent man murdered. And we're supposed to be rooting for him to get together with Robin?

My disdain for the Barney character started in The Bracket, where he may/may not have sold a woman. He didn't even know. Robin's no prize. She was horrible and shrill in this episode. Good luck in this crazy marriage.

Go Patrice. She's adorable. I'll take her over crazy Robin. She managed to make Barney into a better person; Robin and Barney bring out the worst in each other.

HWavoidance

HWavoidance

Couch Potato

• Interests:Writing, museums, rock concerts, bad puns, good coffee, wine, fangirling ;), Philadelphia, and the increasingly rare good, scripted tv show.

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

"Family...with benefits". It sounds like a bad West Virginia joke.

rosetattoo

rosetattoo

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 10:34 PM

Yuck to everything about Chris Elliot and Mickey. I was soooo skeeved by his "keeping it in the family" (or something like that) comment. Gross. Gross. Gross.

Agreed, this was just vulgar and unfunny and it was the writers killing another beloved character
R.I.P Judy Erikson

Hecate7

Hecate7

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 16, 2012 @ 3:21 AM

I'm not sure, because Barney did sleep with the nanny, remember? And she wasn't thin, or young. She broke every single rule he has, really, and so I'm not sure this is a con. It might actually be that Barney is deliberately turning away from his usual practices, "overcorrecting," as Robin says, because he recognizes that his whole womanizing thing was a defense anyway.

Remember in the beginning, Barney was some sort of sweet, sincere hippie before he suited up and got ruthless. Maybe he's finally letting go of the mask. Or maybe it's a long con. This actually sort of interests me. If it's a con, I'm sure Patrice is in on it.

scratcheyes

scratcheyes

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

when Ted imagined the future if he married the blonde Stella his children's hair color changed to blonde

Just a quick comment on this -- in Ted's imaginary future with his and Stella's children, the daughter was Stella's daughter, Ted's stepdaughter, and already blonde. So it makes sense that the kids would've changed hair color in that future. Other blonde mothers, not necessarily the same situation. (probably, but not absolutely) Even though there is no basis for this, I actually picture "The Mother" - Cindy's roommate - as having blonde hair.