Washington Heights: MTV Mines for More HS Drama?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

69 replies to this topic

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 5:08 AM

The Laguna hills kids knew each other from the time they were little kids, didn't they.

But LH started out very soap operaish, with the Stephen/Kristin/LC triangle.

Maybe that's what it takes to get ratings. WH started with a bit of that, with the fight between Reyna and the gf of her ex.

There is huge drama potential when Reyna is on screen.

When she and her sister were yammering at each other, it was crazy. But one of the guys said something about too much estrogen like it's typical female behavior.

If that's typical in that community, the men probably tune out a lot.

313Mary

313Mary

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 10:48 AM

Reyna isn't an exceptional singer, but she can hold a note.
I really do like this show. I don't hate any of the people, minus the Reyna fight, I enjoy watching.

ceelovejay

ceelovejay

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 10:40 AM

Bump! I haven't watched last night's episode. I'll watch tonight. Anything interesting happen?

I love that they know each other and that it was Audobon who shopped it. I hope they get picked up for a second season!

SophiaE

SophiaE

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 2:45 PM

There was a lot of Jimmy and Eliza in that episode. Not sure why, but I am very indifferent towards Eliza. Also, Frankie and Fred put on a talent showcase.

Same here. I love that they're all so supportive of each other. It disturbs me that Buckwild is still shown in repeats while WH rarely gets replayed. You'd think that reruns would help bring in more viewers. Shame that MTV can't see that.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 5:37 PM

I can't get that song that Reyna and Audubon worked on out of my head, though I think at that showcase, she either lipsync'd the performance or the editors looped in the studio version over however she sounded live.

MTV puts out soundtracks for each episode but those are by other artists it's trying to promote.

These kids lost an opportunity to promote their work while the show is airing. They should have had a soundtrack of works by the cast members available now. Instead, iTunes has Reyna's "If I could go," which just came out the day before Valentine's day. But that song hasn't been featured on the show yet.

SnarkKitty

SnarkKitty

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 7:19 PM

I like the positivity of this show, but I swear, anytime I watch I always wonder what the hell time warped version of NYC they're living in?? In 2012, they used the most dated slang this side of the "wack" Shahs of Sunset. "Mad cool?" "OD?" "Beastin'?" Really? Maybe this show was filmed and shopped around 8 years ago, and it's just starting to get airplay.

Also, Taylor sticks out like a sore thumb. I know they all claim to be friends, but she strikes me as right out of Central Casting. Like, maybe someone vaguely knew a white chick they could call in to hang out, to make sure the show passed muster. She also tries way to hard to sound cool.

That said - I wish MTV would give it more play, it would be nice to see more of this, and less of Buckwild and Jersey Shore. I guess a show isn't any good to MTV if it's not being pre-protested by the group they represent.

SophiaE

SophiaE

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 4:20 AM

""LOL I don't think Taylor sticks out that much, apart from the fact we haven't seen her on any regular basis like we have everyone else.

Am I the only one that doesn't care too much for Eliza (especially Eliza)? As a girlfriend to Jimmy, she irks me the same way Diana did when she was with Ludwin. From the editing, it seems like she chose to support Jimmy financially so that he could focus on baseball, and then threw it in his face when he finally focused on baseball. Also, I remember in the preview for the season, she said something about wanting to be a stylist, but in the episode where she was helping JP choose clothes for a gig, she didn't seem to have a concept of what looks good and how clothes should fit (my opinion, obviously). Seriously, though, I think I'm being nit-picky because of my distaste for her lol.

I, too, would love to see more of this show. I'm hoping it gets picked up for a second season, even though they never play reruns of it.

Does anyone know what the ratings have been for this show? I've looked everywhere I could think of, but have found nothing apart from the first and second weeks...

Edited by SophiaE, Feb 19, 2013 @ 4:24 AM.

SnarkKitty

SnarkKitty

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 12:51 PM

""LOL I don't think Taylor sticks out that much, apart from the fact we haven't seen her on any regular basis like we have everyone else.

She's in almost every episode. She sticks out because she's the token white girl, and it wouldn't even be that obvious if she was actually from Washington Heights like the rest; instead she's imported from Mount Vernon or NJ or somewhere because she went to HS with JP. It just reeks of typical casting; it can never just be whatever minority group, there always has to be a buffer.

I also call BS on all those rooftop parties - except maybe through MTV intervention. But you know, there's still plenty to enjoy in this whitewashed version of WH.

SophiaE

SophiaE

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 8:15 PM

What I meant about not seeing her on a regular basis, is that we don't know much about her as we do the rest of the cast. She hasn't had her own story line and we don't know what she wants to do with her life, like we do everyone else. We've only seen her supporting other cast members' story lines. I do agree, though, that she is the token white girl, but to me, she doesn't stick out that much. Having said that, though, I'm not from the area and do not know its demographics apart from what is discussed on the show.

SnarkKitty

SnarkKitty

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 1:21 AM

This site has some really great WH recaps. http://www.uptowncol...ekly-breakdown/

ceelovejay

ceelovejay

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 10:12 AM

SnarkKitty, thanks for the link! I like her reviews. Surely did not see Diddy's tweet to Eliza, however.

Speaking of which. I certainly did not like how Jimmy was cursing and yelling at Eliza! WTF was that about? I'm glad she walked away. I wouldn't consider ever getting back with him though. She offered to carry him so he could do the baseball thing and he was being a fucking bitch to her. Wow.

And is Ludwin serious? It's disrespectful to do it in front of him? So, what would happen if he happened to get into a relationship with one of the several females he gave his number to and then he started bringing her around? How is that different? Come on, Lud. I like you but you cannot be serious with the jealousy bit.

And Audubon and the two missed gigs. And the failed meeting with the dude (was he a producer or something?). He's not going to be on Jay-Z status conducting business like that!

heroineaddict22

heroineaddict22

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 10:25 AM

IIRC, this show was filmed last summer according to Frankie. Also, she appears to be in an actual relationship with Ludwin now, but enjoys being vague and riddle-y about it. The cast also has had no news about a season 2, and they claim to have been paid in Trident layers (i.e. pennies, I'm assuming).

MrsEvie64

MrsEvie64

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 10:44 AM

I really don't think this is going to be renewed :( I hate how they never, ever replay it. I think these storylines are so much better than what they have going on with other MTV "reality" shows. The struggles with family in jail, getting in trouble when they were younger, not having money to fall back on, etc. They seem to be pretty good friends and not thrown together. Even Taylor seems to be actually friends with them, she didn't seem like she was just thrown in. If she is only on there because she went to school with JP, it seems like she's with him the least of all.

ceelovejay

ceelovejay

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 2:03 PM

Thanks for the current update on them, heroineaddict22! I need to look them up on Twitter. I wouldn't mind following that crew.

MrsEvie64, I'm afraid it won't be renewed either. I set my DVR to record the show last week. Got home Thursday night and got cozy and found that it didn't record (or one of my kids deleted it). I went to look for the next airing. It wasn't until the following Tuesday at 3am. That's terrible!

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 2:12 PM

It was great the way the record company guy was blunt about Audubon's material.

He didn't completely quash his dreams, just that he needed to expand his horizons beyond WH, whereas Audubon thinks if he can get people in the neighborhood to like his work then it could "blow up" beyond WH.

Maybe some of these kids need to be directed towards school, trying to learn a less glamorous profession.

SophiaE

SophiaE

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 27, 2013 @ 3:20 AM

Found out a couple days ago that they shifted to 11 p.m. Wonder why?

ceelovejay

ceelovejay

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2013 @ 1:06 PM

Are you kidding me?? Yeah, they're definitely not coming back. And that makes me sad.

SophiaE

SophiaE

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 27, 2013 @ 3:31 PM

Makes me sad, too, if that's what it means. :\

Truexprincess8

Truexprincess8

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2013 @ 4:01 PM

I love this show! I really wish MTV had given it a real chance and promoted it properly.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2013 @ 11:27 AM

I think the problem with this show is that it's on MTV, which to me, isn't know for its diversity the same way VH1 is. I don't know if any shows on MTV that are focused on people of color, reality or scripted, VH1 has a lot more shows featuring people of color (even if the portrayals aren't the best).

knaayo

knaayo

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 12:44 AM

I really like this show too. I find it so refreshing but every time I watch it I know it's going to get cancelled. Damn, why did I have to start liking this show?

Anyways, Frankie completely fooled herself in the last episode. It was so wild to watch. She accomplished absolutely nothing in her attempt to break off whatever she has with Ludwin but some how felt better about the situation after the conversation. He's got some kind of mojo over that girl.

SophiaE

SophiaE

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 5:35 AM

This show is so easy to like, isn't it? I feel so invested in all of the cast apart from one of them lol. I'm still holding onto hope that this show gets renewed, by some stroke of generosity. It's not expensive to produce a reality show, is it? It can't be... I can understand them cancelling a scripted show with low ratings (just how low are their ratings?), since they're actually paying actors, but regular people off the street should be relatively inexpensive. MTV seriously needs to add WH into the schedule of reruns, instead of replaying the same shows over and over.

I tend to agree with you about Ludwin and Frankie, but it does seem like Ludwin leads her on. Telling her that he could see himself with her in the future only leads her on in the present. Apart from that, they seem to have agreed that they "have feelings" for each other. The only times we got any indication of any feelings from Ludwin was when he was questioning her about that Kelvis guy, and when he was playing "pot and kettle" during his conversation with Reyna and Rico. Unfortunately, when he talks to anyone apart from Frankie, he makes it seem like it's all her, when he's stirring her pot a bit with the things he says.

Enychica

Enychica

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 5:55 AM

Wack, beastin' ODing, mad cool, thats classic NY hood speak and it hasn't really gone out of style since it came in. They're effective & descriptive which is probably why we keep using them.

I like this show too but part of the deal with the MTV audience is that those viewers need to see themselves in or want to be these reality show characters. I think the demographics skew towards the chicks that want to be Lauren Conrads not Frankies. These people struggle and the Hills types didnt.

knaayo

knaayo

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 7:55 PM

SophiaE, he definitely sounds more promising about the future when he's talking to Frankie, but I think he's been pretty consistent about the "not now" stance. Honestly, I understand where both of them are coming from because the feelings are there but it's bad timing. He just got out of a relationship and she's been waiting for him for a while. So, they both want each other but they have different priorities at the moment. I get that...but Frankie is settling because she thinks she has a definite thing in the future. I hope it worked out in her favor (now, in the present). I find both of them charming, though, so I like watching it unfold on the show.

Enychica, I see exactly where you're coming from because Washington Heights and The Hills actually have some core similarities as far as people pursuing passions and experiencing a bit of love angst. The main difference seems to be the people and, as you stated, the struggle, and I guess there just aren't enough people that like or care to like them, which sucks because I think they are genuinely likeable. There's not a tremendous amount of backstabbing, and you see them eating, conversing, and having fun more than partying and drinking, which is really refreshing for reality television on MTV these days.

At least the show got a chance.

Edited by knaayo, Mar 2, 2013 @ 9:24 PM.

SophiaE

SophiaE

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 4, 2013 @ 10:30 PM

There's not a tremendous amount of backstabbing, and you see them eating, conversing, and having fun more than partying and drinking, which is really refreshing for reality television on MTV these days.

This is exactly what I love about this show. I haven't watched any shows on this channel for a while, up until this one. If it gets cancelled, which it seems is likely, I'll have no further reason to patronize this network apart from the Movie Awards and VMAs.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2013 @ 8:27 AM

What was that nonsense, Frankie "confronting" Diana, Ludwin's ex. I mean so what the girl said something nasty on Twitter, "ooohhh, how bad." I would have laughed if Diana smacked Frankie right there, I mean Diana was saying, "I have nothing to say to you," but Frankie kept talking. Also, Frankie should NOT wear that much make up, it makes her look like a clown.

313Mary

313Mary

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 8, 2013 @ 1:14 PM

I appreciated Dianna's reaction, she was not engaging. Good for her. While I don't mind Frankie's makeup, it looks odd when she goes most of the time without it, then wears a ton. Maybe that's not how it is in her real life, I'm bot sure if MTV just filmed in days where she didn't wear it. I liked Ludwin, but I thought it was obvious Frankie thought they were exclusive while he's telling his friends they're platonic. At the same time, Frankie girl, open your eyes. He's not thinking you are his girlfriend, he's thinking you're his spare.

heroineaddict22

heroineaddict22

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 8, 2013 @ 2:08 PM

I don't think Ludwin's feelings toward Frankie are that... malicious (treating someone as your "spare" is cruel and hurtful). I do believe him when he says his feelings for Frankie are genuine, but he doesn't want it any more serious or committed than it is at that time. I think that's a valid and honest perspective. However, Frankie doesn't seem to be hearing it. She seems to accept the good in what he's saying ("I care about you") and ignore the warning ("this is all I'm capable of"). This is a good example of how a guy can be totally upfront with a girl (which I believe Ludwin is doing) and she will still hear what she wants and expect things outside of what he is willing to give. She clearly can't be satisfied with having a relationship that is genuine and loving in its way without the overarching commitment. I can relate to how Ludwin feels.

That being said, I loved the way Frankie confronted Diana. Ignoring the general feeling that it's childish to confront someone for talking shit, she completely shut Diana down without being trashy. She was cooler than the other side of the pillow leaving Diana flushed and embarrassed.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2013 @ 2:45 PM

I don't think Frankie left Diana flushed or anything. Diana looked like, "that chick's crazy" and Frankie looked insane. I mean if I had a dollar for every time someone said something bad about me, I'd be a wealthy woman. Frankie needs to grow up, you can't go around confronting everybody who says something nasty about you.

I do believe him when he says his feelings for Frankie are genuine, but he doesn't want it any more serious or committed than it is at that time. I think that's a valid and honest perspective. However, Frankie doesn't seem to be hearing it. She seems to accept the good in what he's saying ("I care about you") and ignore the warning ("this is all I'm capable of"). This is a good example of how a guy can be totally upfront with a girl (which I believe Ludwin is doing) and she will still hear what she wants and expect things outside of what he is willing to give.

Frankie hears what she wants to hear. She wants a relationship with Ludwin so she just takes whatever he gives her. He told her, "we don't have a label, we're just us." I'm sorry but that sounded like a load of horseshit to me. Call it what it is, 'friends with benefits,' nothing wrong with that at all.

SophiaE

SophiaE

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2013 @ 4:48 AM

To be fair, most girls in a similar situation to Frankie would also hear only what they want to hear. FWB is a sticky situation to be in. It can be very confusing for anyone involved and even more so when someone is telling you that they return your feelings, holding your hand, etc. Doing things outside of the "benefits" is where situations get hazy. I think they are both to blame in this case. Frankie for allowing herself to seemingly settle for less than she wants, and Ludwin, for giving Frankie hope. In any case, though, seems like they're either still doing their "we are" thing or have finally made something official. I've seen some of Frankie's blog posts, which indicate that they're still seeing each other in one way or another.

I also expected more out of that confrontation with Diana, but imagine Frankie ruining Ludwin's showcase the way Reyna ruined JP's, in episode one. I'm glad it didn't escalate, but at the same time, Diana shouldn't have been bold behind the guise of the internet and a pu**y to Frankie's face. She should have been willing to say what she had to say both behind the computer screen and in front of it. All bark and no bite, I guess.

Barely any Fred in the past few episodes. He wasn't even featured in the opening credits.

Am I the only one that finds JP's manager to be useless?

Oddly, Taylor has been in pretty much every episode, yet we know nothing about her. Hopefully, if they get a second season, we get to know her a little better. I don't think she even had her own story line...

Very happy for Jimmy deciding to move to Florida. It's usually a good idea to get a fresh start in a new place. Watching his goodbye with Eliza was heartbreaking. There's so much love between them, that hopefully they do meet when they're 40 and have babies lol.