2-11: "In Memoriam" 2012.12.09

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

272 replies to this topic

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

Couch Potato

• Interests:Sewing, reading, yoga, performing arts, Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 5:17 PM

Carrie's hunt for Nazir continues, but she suspects something's amiss inside the Agency, while interrogation reveals Roya's true colors. Meanwhile, unexpected circumstances put Saul's career in jeopardy.

As usual, please hold off on posting until the episode has aired. Thanks!

toogoodtobetrue

toogoodtobetrue

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

'In Memoriam' to a show that was once great, indeed.

HollaMcDollar

HollaMcDollar

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

“It was you or Walden…it wasn’t even close.” - Homeland is now an evening soap. This is getting to be a bit much but can be corrected next week. I’m losing faith they will fix it though.

I LOVED Roya calling out Carrie for what she is though!

meandthemoon

meandthemoon

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:02 PM

I LOVE Peter Quinn. I really liked how he has not been portrayed as some cold-blooded assassin--you could tell that he was genuinely concerned about Carrie. Please don't kill him, show!

God, I hate Brody. Forget about all the traitorous shit he has done. I can't believe how unfeeling he is toward Jess. Yes, your marriage is over, but try to be a little more compassionate as she is sitting there crying and trying to hold your hand. And maybe instead of going to your girlfriend's house, you could be with your family during this difficult time of transition. Ugh, so much hate.

I really thought Carrie's admission that someone had power over her to make her do things she wouldn't normally do would be a wake-up call about her relationship with Brody. And that she would reveal what Brody had done to release her.

This episode was so much better than the last. But I need Brody to die and for Carrie to wake the fuck up from her love-induced slumber.

Edited by meandthemoon, Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:07 PM.

Worldyfan

Worldyfan

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:05 PM

I don't know, I'm still on the edge of my seat over what's going to happen to Brody. In fact, I'd like to be put into a medically induced coma until next Sunday at 9:55. I'm one of those girls Roya would sneer at, because I want Carrie and Brody to be happy. Though I suspect they'll kill him, in order to allow a third season and Carrie to remain a tragic character.
I'd also like Dana to get entangled in the really long arms of a sweater and have to spend the rest of her life trying to get out.
At this point, doing that kind of Nazir-Carrie chase is so Scream/Silence of the Lambs-y that it's kind of funny.
Peter Quinn. That handsome asshole. If he kills Brody, I will hate him forever while acknowledging he's not hard to look at.

Edited by Worldyfan, Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:14 PM.

HollaMcDollar

HollaMcDollar

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:08 PM

’In Memoriam' to a show that was once great, indeed.

I believe you are right. After this episode, I want Carrie dead more than Brody.

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:08 PM

I officially want David Estes to die. Hatred for him as just gone to max these past few episodes.

Once again, Carrie is right. I thought Nazir would have something else planned—a second punch to follow Walden’s death. And in that way his death sort of seemed anti-climactic to me. Don’t get me wrong, I could hardly breathe that whole sequence when Carrie and the tag team were in the tunnels. If they hadn’t gone back, would he have tried to escape or would he have just let them kill him?

I also got a similar feeling that Carrie was sensing the same thing. Like, We captured him, he’s dead, now what? It’s been her sole purpose and mission for the last ten years to take him out. And now that she has, where does she go from here? With Nazir gone, does that open up the door for Carrie to leave the intelligence world?

In a way Carrie’s twisted fantasy, the one she told Brody about in the hotel a few episodes ago, has come true. He is a real hero to her--he saved her life--and everything else he did before—put that suicide vest on, ruin her life, kill Walden—does it even matter to her anymore?

I know Jess isn’t the most sympathetic person, but I felt really really bad for her this entire episode. The whole family, really. I know Dana gets a lot of flak too, but I think Morgan Saylor plays her perfectly. That is exactly how a teenager would act in this situation. I did have to laugh though when Dana literally started to cry over spilled milk. The dissolution of their family has been a long time coming, but—the same with Nazir—once it happened, I’m left thinking, Now what? Where do they go from here? If Brody remains in the picture (in terms of the show), will they too?

I thought this episode was great, and I really can't wait for next week.

I really thought Carrie's admission that someone had power over her to make her do things she wouldn't normally do would be a wake-up call about her relationship with Brody. And that she would reveal what Brody had done to release her.

I sense a Saul intervention coming. I mean, really, I know Carrie and Brody together is fundamentally messed up, on several levels, but they just long to be together. I thought Jess' line about "Carrie knows everything about you. She must really love you then" was really heartbreaking. Carrie's love is so blinding at this point that Jess looks like the smart one, doesn't she?

Also--about that Brody/Jess car scene--are we to assume that Jess fully knows that Brody was going to kill the VP and others in that bunker? If so, then she handled it a lot better than I anticipated.

Edited by Hallelujah, Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:16 PM.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

I LOVED Roya calling out Carrie for what she is though!

Fuck yes! It was awesome.

I spent the first 5 or so minutes going "Carrie you fucking dumbass... Carrie you fucking dumbass", and then when she let him into her place I said the same thing. Fucking Carrie. Find a brain cell or two, or just die.

Also Brody. I feel terrible for his family. Godspeed, Quinn.

And speaking of Quinn, if he dies in the next episode, I may have to cut a bitch.

Is it just me, or did they rename this episode from "The Motherfucker in the Turban" to "In Memoriam"? That's hilarious.

Edited by Mars477, Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:14 PM.

HollaMcDollar

HollaMcDollar

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

I spent the first 5 or so minutes going "Carrie you fucking dumbass... Carrie you fucking dumbass", and then when she let him into her place I said the same thing. Fucking Carrie. Find a brain cell or two, or just die.

Also Brody. I feel terrible for his family. Godspeed, Quinn.

And speaking of Quinn, if he dies in the next episode, I may have to cut a bitch.

I even like Estes at this point, although not at the expense of Saul- that is an easy fix though.

Carrie is insufferable, I get what they are trying to do with the character, to an extent, but it isn’t the right direction for the show.

evalusion

evalusion

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

Oddly, considering they captured and killed Nazir, most of the episode felt like filler. I thought the intense conversation between Brody and Jess was well-done. I wanted more from the Roya interrogation. I was OK with Carrie's approach not working on her, since it's seems unlikely that Carrie could keep always doing everything right, but I think that's all the depth we're ever going to get on Roya, and it's kind of disappointing that they didn't really fill in her backstory.

I wonder what kept Quinn from killing Brody. Did he not want to do it where Brody's family, or Carrie, would find him, or is it a larger hesitation? I'm definitely ready for next week-- I suspect they're saving the really good stuff for the finale.

ETA: I hope the Galvez thing isn't glossed over either. I want to see Carrie apologize and mean it.

Edited by evalusion, Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:19 PM.

mochamajesty

mochamajesty

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:18 PM

My favorite moment was from the preview:

I loved when Saul told Carrie "you are the smartest and stupidest person I ever met." Preach Saul.

I just really don't care about Brody. At all.

What's next for Carrie? Saul? Jessica? And I loved the Brody family's horrified expression when Brody cried over Nazir.

Edited by mochamajesty, Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:20 PM.

HollaMcDollar

HollaMcDollar

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:19 PM

Is it just me, or did they rename this episode from “The Motherfucker in the Turban" to "In Memoriam"? That’s
hilarious.

They might have done that b/c there was some backlash over the title. They likely cut that line from the episode- probably Estes or Quinn would have said it.

Gironbachs

Gironbachs

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

Nazir's death was completely anticlimatic. Sure, he engineered Walden's death, but it will never be revealed as an act of terror. He could've done that without sneaking into DC, only to be shot in a tunnel. I'm not so sure I'm satisfied with the terror threat being eliminated, so the final episode will center around Quinn trying to kill Brody.

We finally got thru an entire episode without Dana exclaiming, all wet-eyed and blubbering "but I killed somebody!"

kailess

kailess

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

Wow. That was a stressful episode to watch.

I want to kill Estes for how he is fucking over Saul. I think Saul needs to go dump the whole damn story on the Washington Post or some other similar organization.

Not spoiled, just speculating - after seeing the previews for next week I can't imagine this season will end without one of our three main characters dead - Saul, Carrie or Brody.

Next Sunday night seems so far away.

HollaMcDollar

HollaMcDollar

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

I sense a Saul intervention coming. I mean, really, I know Carrie and Brody together is fundamentally messed up, on several levels, but they just long to be together. I thought Jess' line about "Carrie knows everything about you. She must really love you then" was really heartbreaking. Carrie's love is so blinding at this point that Jess looks like the smart one, doesn't she?

Also--about that Brody/Jess car scene--are we to assume that Jess fully knows that Brody was going to kill the VP and others in that bunker? If so, then she handled it a lot better than I anticipated.

Brody stayed silent when Jess asked that, but the answer is NO. Brody has not told Carrie everything about him, although she knows most and apparently still accepts him. I do not find Carrie sympathetic at all, she needs to be monitored and locked up. I would love nothing more than for Saul to kill Brody in front of her, repeating his amazing line from he preview again.

MightyMac63

MightyMac63

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

I just really don't care about Brody. At all.

I don't either. The season finale will be interesting. Will Quinn find out about Brody and the VP?

So now who will be Nazir's replacement now that he is dead?

Is it just me, or did they rename this episode from "The Motherfucker in the Turban" to "In Memoriam"? That's hilarious.

I saw that too when I was scoping the Showtime channel earlier today. Can Showtime explain this?

toogoodtobetrue

toogoodtobetrue

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

But there was no one in a turban? I was confused about the title change too.

Carrie has lost any subtlety she may have once had. Her Galvez is a Muslim therefore he must be the leak assertion?? Straight up 24.

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

Carrie has lost any subtlety she may have once had. Her Galvez is a Muslim therefore he must be the leak assertion?? Straight up 24.

I mean, yeah, I cringed when she said that, but Quinn went along with it, too, and I'd say that a large portion of the audience also saw Galvez as the mole before this episode, too. The fact is that Galvez has been present/involved whenever there was a "leak" and if he wasn't Muslim, I'd have thought he was the mole before this episode, too.

mochamajesty

mochamajesty

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

Maybe some found the title offensive, as it may have referred to Nazir.

Danny is owed a huge apology. But, he won't get one. All is fair in love and war.

HollaMcDollar

HollaMcDollar

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:31 PM

That was such a bizarre and out of place scene, especially considering that Carrie is in love with one herself… It was so strange. I wonder if it was a late edit for someone who would’ve said, “A car took off and it looked like a mother—-ker in a turban” or something.

Purejinks

Purejinks

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:31 PM

First episode ever that I was actually cheering for JESSICA BRODY! Good for her for not letting Brody pile that load of crap on her. Take that...

Also another first for me.... Brody so deep in love with Carrie, I'm not buying it. Brody being truely f%#ked in the head... SOLD!

nydude

nydude

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:32 PM

I guess we will never find out who the mole is now :-/

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:37 PM

I wonder what kept Quinn from killing Brody. Did he not want to do it where Brody's family, or Carrie, would find him, or is it a larger hesitation? I'm definitely ready for next week-- I suspect they're saving the really good stuff for the finale.

I'm thinking he was just casing him. Don't think he intended to make the hit there, just surveillance.

I can't help but root for Quinn though. We see Quinn treat his colleague with such compassion, and then contrast him with Brody? Yeah... remember to double tap, Quinn.

Carrie better apologize to Galvez in a big way. Bringing him down (and putting his life at risk as well, since the dude had stiches that were ripped) because he was a Muslim was a terrible thing to do. Crazy Carrie is back, bitches. I also fucking stood up and applauded when Carrie floated Galvez and Quinn was like "The dude got shot!" Poor Galvez.

No Dar Adul. And I suspect this is the last time we'll see Valerie Cruz. I think we need a spinoff featuring F Murray Abraham and Valerie Cruz working CIA operations somewhere in the Middle East. Mandy Patinkin can join them, with Saul having chosen to take a transfer as far the fuck away from Estes as possible. And maybe Quinn too.

neonlite

neonlite

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

The title wasn't changed at Time Warner, nor at IMDB, nor on the Showtime site. I'm confused.

Nazir's death was anticlimactic but that's very realistic. Carrie was chasing him for 11 years. Then suddenly he's dead and it's all over. It will be a big readjustment for her.

Loved the range of emotions that played on Carrie's face when she looked at the body, ending with her pleased smile.

Brody's response - weeping - rang very true to me.

I found the scene with Jess very poignant. Heartbreaking actually. They have lost so much.

I'm terrified that Brody will die next week.

Hate Estes and that storm trooper bureaucrat who interrogated Saul..

Love Saul more than ever, but I don't think he's going to warn brody or Carrie because he wants Brody out of her life.

I'll be counting the seconds till next Sunday.

Worldyfan

Worldyfan

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

I think if they kill Brody, it'll be kind of like killing Old Yeller. It's not like he was imprisoned/brainwashed/starved/tortured for just a week, and everyone expects so much of him. I often find myself thinking of him as that poor effing guy. Sometimes it's seemed like he went into a brainwashed trance and then something snapped him out of it.

Edited by Worldyfan, Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:40 PM.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:42 PM

Plenty of American POWs have been captured and undergone torture, in much more brutal ways, without having turned on their country. To give an example, I am fairly certain that John McCain is not a Vietnamese sleeper agent.

Kratos

Kratos

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

I dont think they will let Brody get killed in the final. They have to replace the main villain next season, replacing also another main character, is too much in my opinion. Brody is not only a main character, he's someone who's a pillar of this show. Killing him off, they would need to come up with something complete new and also giving Carrie another "love-interest"...i cant see that..

Edited by Kratos, Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:47 PM.

meandthemoon

meandthemoon

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:47 PM

It's not like he was imprisoned/brainwashed/starved/tortured for just a week, and everyone expects so much of him.

I have a hard time sympathizing with Brody when he has shown that he has the potential to be a good person. His actions can't be excused because of his captivity when it's convenient. His decision to not set the suicide bomb off showed that he knows the difference between right and wrong, and his treatment of Carrie shows that he knows how to be emotionally available. So when he is a jackass to Jess, I can't write it off as a symptom of his captivity. And when he continues to do evil shit like kill people, I can't write it off as him no longer being able to make independent decisions.

As you can tell, I can't stand him, which is not good for me because it's obvious that my response to him and his relationship with Carrie is the opposite of what the writers intend me to feel. But alas.

chap

chap

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:51 PM

Brody has not told Carrie everything about him, although she knows most and apparently still accepts him. I do not find Carrie sympathetic at all, she needs to be monitored and locked up. I would love nothing more than for Saul to kill Brody in front of her, repeating his amazing line from he preview again.

yes, please. Carrie, Brody, or the romance - one of those has to die. i don't care which. i'm tired of having to fast-forward through the Brody/Carrie kissyface crap.

neonlite

neonlite

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:52 PM

And I would watch their scenes a thousand times. To me, they are very believable and very touching.

Different strokes....