2-8: "Unholy Night" 2012.12.05

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

105 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

A murderous Santa wreaks havoc on Briarcliff; Sister Jude faces off with the devil; Arden has a shocking encounter in the death chute.

wamboyil

wamboyil

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

Well, that was another happy-time episode of AHS:A! Merry Christmas, everybody!

carried away

carried away

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:13 PM

NOT FRANK!!!!! So it seems that Sistah Jude, Lana, and Kit will be the heroes of this season. I approve. Nice twist with Arden, they really duped me. That Lana and Kit scene was touching.

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

Poor Frank. The moment he wanted to do the honorable thing I said...."on this show...He's a dead man."

American Horror Story ruining holidays one at a time. first halloween now Christmas. Oh well. Killer Santa was at least fun.

Dr. Arden. Dude! Can we talk? How many times are you going to sell your soul to Sister Mary Satan? I know she is hot, but still....you gotta know that chick is wack.I've dated my share of crazy and well...ok I get it but still.....This is going to end badly. Very Very badly. Hey but you met the aliens. How'd that go?

Hey Sister Jude actually killed someone for real this time. Oh boy. With Sister Mary Satan and Dr. Arden and the Monsignor all out to get her. She is gonna get got.

Oh and then there is Lana. Hey girl, it looks like you're luck has finally changed. You got Bloody Face right where you want him. Maybe you should kill him though . When did Kit become the voice of reason? Oh well. I think Lana has kinda lost it though. Not much keeping her from going completely off the deep end and just killing Thredson. She really has nothing to lose. Its Kit who has something to lose. The only think Lana has left to lose is her mind which she is holding on to by a thread.

Edited by Nightmare Logic, Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:16 PM.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

That was one seriously fucked up Christmas episode.

What is Ryan Murphy's fetish with rape? This time gang rape.

Bye, Frank. You really were a good guy after all.

I'm laughing my ass off at NAZI ARDEN being all judgy of the devil's actions as if he's some pure hearted soul who is appalled at what's going on. The fuck outta here dude. They did have me going with his alliance with Jude. I thought it was really real there for a second.

Oh, Sister Mary Eunice, you hilarious fabulous bitch. Why do I love you so much? Lily Rabe must be having the best time.

That said, I was cheering my head off for Lana, Kit and Jude at the end of the episode.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

That said, I was cheering my head off for Lana, Kit and Jude at the end of the episode.

When Kit hit Thredson with the fire extinguisher(?) I definitely cheered.

I was really nervous that Thredson was going to snap Lana's neck. (flashed back to a certain S2 Buffy episode!) Hope she makes it to the end of the series to tell her story.

Maybe because I was tired, but this ep wasn't a favorite. Or maybe because the last ep had so much going on that I felt this one was slow. BUT!....next weeks episode looks crazy good!

lulee

lulee

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:42 PM

The only think Lana has left to lose is her mind which she is holding on to by a thread.

Making the name "Thredson" even more peculiar.

I totally fell for the Arden deception after the shit-ruby earrings scene. Maybe the aliens are teaching him a lesson.

Not feeling good about the previews for the next ep -- I like my Dylan McDermott one of two ways: cleanshaven and well-dressed a la The Practice or nekkid.

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

Poor Frank. The moment he wanted to do the honorable thing I said...."on this show...He's a dead man."

American Horror Story ruining holidays one at a time. first halloween now Christmas. Oh well. Killer Santa was at least fun.

Dr. Arden. Dude! Can we talk? How many times are you going to sell your soul to Sister Mary Satan? I know she is hot, but still....you gotta know that chick is wack.I've dated my share of crazy and well...ok I get it but still.....This is going to end badly. Very Very badly. Hey but you met the aliens. How'd that go?

Hey Sister Jude actually killed someone for real this time. Oh boy. With Sister Mary Satan and Dr. Arden and the Monsignor all out to get her. She is gonna get got.

Oh and then there is Lana. Hey girl, it looks like you're luck has finally changed. You got Bloody Face right where you want him. Maybe you should kill him though . When did Kit become the voice of reason? Oh well. I think Lana has kinda lost it though. Not much keeping her from going completely off the deep end and just killing Thredson. She really has nothing to lose. Its Kit who has something to lose. The only think Lana has left to lose is her mind which she is holding on to by a thread.

The Killer Santa reminded me of The Twilight Zone movie Killer Santa scenes.

Lana should of just said he destroyed the evidence. Let's off him and go on the run. Kit has really nothing to go back to and they can't get Thredson to confess.

Whatsyourface

Whatsyourface

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:52 PM

Susie was effin stupid.

I'm bummed they didn't have a special Christmas opening theme. Maybe mix "Jingle Bells" with their, err, noise. Personally, I think that would have added a whole new fun to the woman playing happily in the wheelchair.

I can't tell which is worse: the continuous number of staff and patients who have totally been here the whole time or last season's continuous number of ghosts.

Too bad Lana didn't want to kill Thredson last time when it made sense.

Riff Randell

Riff Randell

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:59 PM

Poor Jude. And poor Lana, for that matter. She'd better get some agency in the next few episodes. I'll be surprised if she survives this season with her sanity intact.

The Monsignor creeped me out way more than Santa tonight. I think the dirt Arden has on him must be much more than just his complicity to Arden's experiments. The way he touched Mary Eunice was giving me shivers.

The Killer Santa reminded me of The Twilight Zone movie Killer Santa scenes.

You mean Tales From The Crypt, right? The Twilight Zone movie didn't have a Santa, and the sole Christmas episode of the original series wasn't about a killer Santa, just Art Carney and a tearjerking ending.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 12:08 AM

OMG, those tree ornaments! Hope that poor man got his dentures back! :)

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 12:19 AM

Riff
I apologize. I confused the names. I did see that tv episode of the Twilight Zone last year too! Thanks for the clarification.

Sister Mary Satan is really scaring me.

I knew Frank was a goner the first few minutes.

I think Sis Jude's going to be committed.

Why did the aliens want Grace's corpse?

Dolphincorn

Dolphincorn

Fanatic

• Interests:Laughing at misfortune, rooting for the villians, egging on the bitches.

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 12:20 AM

I didn't think anything could get me to like Christmas again. My heart grew three sizes larger.

Edited by Dolphincorn, Dec 6, 2012 @ 4:30 PM.

avaleigh

avaleigh

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 1:20 AM

Lol at how fascinated the Monsignor was with the Christmas tree decorations. I really want to know what his deal is. I get that he's bad but I'm curious as to what he's into because right now it seems like it could be anything.

I wish Lana had bashed Thredson in the head at least one more good time just to make sure that he had brain damage or something. I sort of get wanting to keep him alive just to explain shit but gah I wish she'd killed him back in his basement. She could have killed him and then called the police from the house of horrors.

I hate that Dr. Arden had my ass fooled.

I'm already thinking that the aliens might revive Grace and then Kit will find himself in Bill Henrickson territory.

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 1:31 AM

Lol at how fascinated the Monsignor was with the Christmas tree decorations. I really want to know what his deal is. I get that he's bad but I'm curious as to what he's into because right now it seems like it could be anything.

I wish Lana had bashed Thredson in the head at least one more good time just to make sure that he had brain damage or something. I sort of get wanting to keep him alive just to explain shit but gah I wish she'd killed him back in his basement. She could have killed him and then called the police from the house of horrors.

I hate that Dr. Arden had my ass fooled.

I'm already thinking that the aliens might revive Grace and then Kit will find himself in Bill Henrickson territory.

What could the Monsignor do or have done that's as bad as Arden and cause him to turn a blind eye to Sis Mary's antics? Something regarding sexual molestation?

Yea Lana could have then and then his lair would've been intact. She could claim self defense too. Now she and Kit have no proof!

I'm over Grace. Stop Kit's dreams. Of course, well see her again in some alien sequence or something, ugh.

So now what's Sis Jude gonna do?!

Snookums

Snookums

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 2:13 AM

Poor Frank. I guess he wasn't a saint but a martyr.

I had to laugh at Bad Santa being kept in chains when Kit the suspected Bloody Face was allowed to roam at will when he was brought to Briarcliff. What was the decision process there, again?

I want to know the answer to Lana's question: why hasn't Kit been turned in? He's been kept doped up on the sick ward but not in isolation, so the nurses that have totally worked here this entire time knew he was there, it wasn't a secret. What the hell? My first instinct was Arden and Sister ME keeping him there so he couldn't rat them out about the mutant werewolves, but why would they worry about that? Nobody, as they are fond of reminding everyone within earshot, would believe him. And they were quick enough to get Frank good and dead, so why not just kill him and burn his body? Hmmmmm.

Ten bucks says Grace is returned alive, well, whole and preggers next episode. That'll be tough to explain!

If Arden has so much on the good Monsignor, why has Jude ruled so absolutely up until now? Besides Sister ME running around in her new earrings, what's changed?

AAaaaannnnnddddd...more rape! Rape here, rape there, rape rape everywhere! And yet more truly vile misogynistic filth from Bad Santa when he was tossing Jude against the walls. Thanks, Ryan. Your issues are now in a bound hardcover library collection.

kc77

kc77

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 2:15 AM

I'm almost positive than, Lana, is pregnant. I can't remember exactly what she said, but it was about Thredson wanting to kill her, and do you want to do it now, and holds up a piece of paper.

Snookums

Snookums

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 2:27 AM

Nice to see Lana getting proactive with her treatment plan.

It's not that I blame Kit for not wanting his one proof of innocence to have his brains bashed in, but how, exactly, is this leverage? They at least agreed this was a short term solution but what are they planning to do? Force a confession or a statement? Even in this bizarro world version of the world that wouldn't stand up in court.

I agree that Lana being knocked up would be the only way to convince Thredson to confess. He can't commit any more Bloody Face murders now that he's framed Kit, so maybe Lana could use the idea of a baby being the whole phoenix rising from the ashes to get him to tell the truth--she won't abort or abandon the child in the woods as long as he confesses and gets them both out of Briarcliff.

peachbeserk

peachbeserk

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 2:41 AM

Al Swearingen as Santa! Creepy and disgusting, but Ian McShane sold it as he does with every part he plays.

VirgoTaurus

VirgoTaurus

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 2:42 AM

Well we can tick child rape and male prison rape off the list of tortured topics they need to cover.

Lily Rabe is truly rocking it. I bet the Devil enjoys the irony of sitting around listening to Christmas Carols.

I was legitimately surprised by the Arden double-double turn. I thought the Devil would catch him since she can read minds but I didn't think he was playing Jude. And man did she fall for it easily. Also on his front, Aliens seem real not since he's the first sober non-mental patient to see them aside from Kit in the pilot.

Lana should have killed Ollie when she had the chance or at least chained him and called the cops. I'm glad they did a somewhat explanation of how she ended up back so quickly. I wonder if Kit would be so quick to let Ollie live if he knew there was not a shred of evidence left that he's Bloodyface. Even if Lana's preggers it means nothing.

Poor Frank, you can't be a good guy there.

Bad Santa was awesome.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Dec 6, 2012 @ 10:47 AM.
Topic

fester01

fester01

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 3:18 AM

The Arbor Day episode is going to be EPIC.

lanorigb

lanorigb

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 6:42 AM

This episode was kind of meh for me, although Bad Santa was pretty freaky. I didn't catch all of the dialogue in the beginning-did he tell the parents he tied them up so he could rape the little girl? As far as him being in a mental institution, that didn't make much sense to me; he seemed to know what he was doing was wrong. As someone else pointed out why would Briar Cliff have Bloody Face and Bad Santa allow one to roam free and the other locked in solitary? Bad Santa would've been experimented on and dead a long time ago.

Lana was vomiting this episode, so all of you who called the pregnancy are pretty good!

burtog

burtog

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 8:21 AM

I had to laugh at Bad Santa being kept in chains when Kit the suspected Bloody Face was allowed to roam at will when he was brought to Briarcliff. What was the decision process there, again?

Sister Jude was angry that Bad Santa ruined her special photo shoot with the newspaper - and thus made Briarcliff look bad in the process - so she treated him more harshly than was necessary or reasonable. Keep in mind that he was roaming the halls freely as well at first, in spite of killing multiple people and (potentially) raping a child.

I'd say the decision process is basically, "Kill a bunch of people, you're a-Ok; ruin my moment, and you're banished to the hole."

VirgoTaurus

VirgoTaurus

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 8:23 AM

As someone else pointed out why would Briar Cliff have Bloody Face and Bad Santa allow one to roam free and the other locked in solitary? Bad Santa would've been experimented on and dead a long time ago.

Santa was locked away because of how he ruined Jude's Christmas photo in '63. If Arden has no interest in him who experiment. Kit showed no violent outbursts so he was allowed to roam free. The one time Kit got in a fight he was straight-jacketed and put in solitary.

lucindabelle

lucindabelle

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 9:35 AM

I thought Bad Santa was hilarious right up until he was about to rape the little girl. Then it didn't seem funny and I'm beginning to find the whole show too much. Throwing that in as an incidental thing was totally unnecessary. The exposition we got later about how he was damaged in prison was also pitiful.

Sorry, Ryan, but a shoplifter doesn't turn into a pedophile because he's been raped-- that didn't work as any kind of explanation for me. Since Santa was apparently a decent guy until his stint in prison, the notion that gang rape would somehow "explain" his becoming a serial killer was an insult to my intelligence.

I did like the Arden fake out although I didn't understand it since Arden was seriously not into sexy Satan.

Monsignor thinking the tree was like Dada art was very funny to me.

JenE4

JenE4

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 10:08 AM

I'm glad they added that line about Lana being an escapee from Briarcliff since many of us were wondering last week why she ended up there instead of a "real" hospital. Oh, yeah! She had "escaped"!

I've never yelled "Oh, no!" so many times during one television show. Every time someone seemed to finally be safe, a "bad guy" popped up out of nowhere to rape, kill, or generally menace said character.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Dec 6, 2012 @ 10:48 AM.
Topic

christomax

christomax

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

I'm glad they added that line about Lana being an escapee from Briarcliff since many of us were wondering last week why she ended up there instead of a "real" hospital. Oh, yeah! She had "escaped"!

I'm still confused as to why she'd end up at briarcliff though, so the line about her being an escapee seemed like a cop out to me. She wasn't in any briarcliff identifying clothing (she was in her mommy nightgown), and she didn't have ID on her. I'd assume she'd be taken to a regular hospital as a Jane Doe, or at the very least the gf of the driver. Unless the first responders had some sort of picture of lana that they were bringing around to accident scenes in order to make sure no one in the wreck was a briarcliff escapee?

Where did Kit disappear to when he left Lana with Ollie? I'm assuming to get a recording device to catch Ollie's confession, and that's why he didn't let Lana bash his head in...

Edited by christomax, Dec 6, 2012 @ 10:26 AM.

JenE4

JenE4

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

I would assume that the police force and other emergency personnel would be notified to be on the look-out for an escaped mental patient. The police first responders on the accident scene could have IDed her immediately from her wanted flier or whatever. I don't see this as a plot hole.

Edited to add: Lol. Christomax, I think you must have been editing your post to add a similar sentiment as mine at the same time I was responding. Yeah, I think it makes sense.

Edited by JenE4, Dec 6, 2012 @ 10:31 AM.

leocadia

leocadia

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

While I found the entire opening scene exceptionally hard to watch, I thought that Bad Santa's rape comments were directed toward the father, not the little girl. Didn't the father say "Don't touch her" and BS responded with "Who said anything about her?" I guess that could be taken either way, but that's where my mind went.

He was incredibly effective as a horror villain. The Sister Jude scene had me cringing as well, but the fact that her own punishment tactics are being revisited upon her touches on her redemption by fire, if not exactly poetic justice.

Love you Sister Mary Eunice, but please stop killing people, you're running out of recurring cast members.

Also, Pepper has yet to return from the bathroom, hope she isn't forgotten and we get a decent explanation!!!

lulee

lulee

Stalker

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 10:58 AM

Sorry, Ryan, but a shoplifter doesn't turn into a pedophile because he's been raped-- that didn't work as any kind of explanation for me. Since Santa was apparently a decent guy until his stint in prison, the notion that gang rape would somehow "explain" his becoming a serial killer was an insult to my intelligence

Well, to be fair to Ryan Murphy (did I just type that?), that was Sister Mary Satan's take on the situation, not necessarily an objective truth. So maybe SMS was telling Bad Santa that because that's what she thought he should hear.