7-10: "The Dark... Whatever" 2012.12.02

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

95 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

Hannah's father visits; the Phantom Arsonist's crimes become more gruesome; LaGuerta brings in Matthews to help with the Bay Harbor Butcher case.

LIamsmom617

LIamsmom617

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Dammit, I didn't think it was possible, but they've got me rooting for Hannah and Dexter as a couple!

ECAmber

ECAmber

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

Best. Hiding. Place. EVER.

Ok, a lot of twists and turns.

It's a sign that the show is in its decline when it dangles the cliche of arsonist-arson investigator in front of an audience and they expect it to be just that. That being said, when did arson investigators double as criminal profilers?? That seemed kind of stupid.

Hannah's dad was a real piece of work. We got tricked on one cliche so they could coast the other in under the radar. Annoying.

I'm enjoying this, but it really feels like those moments in crisis when everything slows down and you can't do anything to stop it.

aposiopesis

aposiopesis

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 10:21 PM

What kind of blackmailer gives up the "juicy" leverage he has on the blackmailee by tipping off the police?

LIamsmom617

LIamsmom617

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

....it makes sense in the Dexterverse...

deb50

deb50

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

Quinn really needs to put on a few pounds....he looks sick.

NiagaraDvr

NiagaraDvr

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

The juvenile records scene was dumb. But I liked the episode. I heart Hannah. I really don't want to see her or LaGuerta to die. Doakes deserves his name restored.

exxxactly

exxxactly

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

This episode was awful, especially the dialogue. Dexter's speech to the arsonist while he was on the table, "sink or swim, daddy", "I think I love you too".. it was like a bad fanfic writer wrote this episode.

I didn't like that Dexter decided to throw his whole code out the window but at this point, I don't even like his character anymore so meh.

I hope they don't really start a storyline about Deb being addicted to Xanax. I'm assuming that's why she crashed her car in the preview for next week.

I'm pretty much over this show, I think.

Jayxter

Jayxter

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 10:46 PM

It's been theorized that Dexter is slipping and by the end will ditch the Code completely. This episode seemed to support that: He's finally committed the murder of someone completely innocent. All of the other non-Code killings were to protect his family (the S3 pedophile), a mistake (S4 photographer) or self-defense (Liddy). Here, he murdered someone that was not a killer and not a danger to his secret. This is huge.

Its ironic that he committed his most vile offense which simultaenously admitting responsiblity for his actions. The Dark Passenger doesn't exist. It's all him.

Laguerta knows. Unless Matthews kills her(which seemed hugely unlikely at this point), Dex is going to be exposed soon.

Quinn's fucked. The frame job is going to come back to bite him. If this was the end, they would've just had George pull a gun on him and Quinn shoot him in self-defense; my guess is Nadia turns on him

Heh, Civil War re-enactment

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

I wonder if the like about 'no adult males named Bobby' was in the script before they cast Jim Beaver (aka Bobby Singer on Supernatural) as Hannah's father.

ECAmber

ECAmber

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 10:59 PM

I hope they don't really start a storyline about Deb being addicted to Xanax. I'm assuming that's why she crashed her car in the preview for next week.

Dammit exxxactly, I hadn't thought of that.

(the S3 pedophile), a mistake (S4 photographer) or self-defense (Liddy).

Jayxter, what about that biker dude in the bathroom... was it after Rita died? The guy was a dick and he just beat the shit out of him.... I think.
Also - ha! At the idea of Nadia turning him in.

As an aside, I'm a little surprised that this whole time he saw himself as ultimately innocent. Didn't see that insight into his psyche coming.

cerveza

cerveza

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 12:29 AM

Currently watching tonight's ep on the west coast and OMG the nonstop Hannah crap is boring me to tears. Seriously, this is painful. Don't care. Not even a little.

dani girl 4

dani girl 4

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 12:32 AM

I am really loving this season of Dexter. It has kept me on edge. I cannot wait for Sunday to see what is going to happen next.

I am really disappointed with the Quinn/George/Nadia story. That scene tonight in the strip club was awful. They couldn't come up with anything better? I absolutely love love love Jason Gedrick and I am so excited he was in this season, but I wish he had better material to work with.

To leave on a good note... we have known all along that he is a serial killer, but there is something about MCH in certain episodes this season where I was actually afraid of Dexter. (The "everything is in my control" scene comes to mind right away.) I don't think I felt that way in previous seasons.

BroughtBackIn

BroughtBackIn

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 1:00 AM

When Hannah's dad showed up and said that he would be right back because he had something in the truck for her, I seriously said (OUT LOUD), "Please let it be a shotgun, so he can come back in and blow her fucking head off!"

Is that bad?

This show is so fucked. It's fucked beyond belief. Thanks to the moronic writers for ruining what was once a wonderful thing. Piss on you!

To those of us that have been invested in Dexter's true character, it is idiotic what they are doing to him, and to us.

This is NOT Dexter. Not any more. So sad.

Edited by BroughtBackIn, Dec 3, 2012 @ 1:01 AM.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 1:03 AM

Currently watching tonight's ep on the west coast and OMG the nonstop Hannah crap is boring me to tears. Seriously, this is painful. Don't care. Not even a little.

Seriously. Remember when this show didn't totally suck? Wasn't it just earlier this season?

This week, Dexter has a chat with his girlfriend's dad. Zero fucks given out of four.

I miss Isaak.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 1:12 AM

I kept hoping and waiting to find out that this was some elaborate scheme with her father to con Dexter but no, it was just a straight forward blackmail. I like YS but goodness is Hannah boring and she feels like a waste of time.

exxxactly

exxxactly

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 1:17 AM

]To those of us that have been invested in Dexter's true character, it is idiotic what they are doing to him, and to us.

I think the writers are trying to make the viewers dislike him so he can get caught or killed next season. Which is stupid IMO, I would rather dex stay true to character and follow the code and get caught. Not every show has to have a happy, predictable ending..

bcharmer

bcharmer

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 1:24 AM

My distaste for Hannah apparently knows no bounds, because it grows deeper with each episode. There's something about her that is just so utterly unconvincing. Even when she cries (or as with last episode, struggling with Jurg), she does it in such a way as to look as attractive as possible, like they do in soap operas. She should take acting lessons from Jennifer Carpenter. Please let someone take her out, and I don't mean on a date.

Isaak, you are sorely missed.

But LaGuerta and Matthews being on to Dexter is getting more interesting.

When Dexter had Hannah's father shrink-wrapped on the boat, I really thought he was going to throw him overboard alive, and let him drown, as payback. But I guess that wouldn't have been as satisfying as plunging a knife into him.

Edited by bcharmer, Dec 3, 2012 @ 1:41 AM.

Zycron

Zycron

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 1:47 AM

Isaak was the BEST thing about this shitty season and Hannah is the absolutely WORST. They killed off the wrong character.

Hannah makes me root for LaGuerta. I hope she nails Dexter's azz. Deb can raise Harrison.

Submarine

Submarine

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 2:47 AM

Am I the only one who can't believe Dexter killed Hannah's father? He's going to get it now!

myriadphalanx

myriadphalanx

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 3:47 AM

So had Dexter actually gone through with it and killed the arsonist, that would've been his first straight-forward, "normal" kill in what, a couple of seasons? The last couple of years he's gotten increasingly sloppy, to the point where he's leaving at least one glaring hint to his identity at every crime scene. Even with killing Hannah's dad, he didn't chop up the body or even wrap it --- he just dumped him into the ocean to make the ID even easier on the off-chance the corpse is ever discovered.

snoopypez

snoopypez

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 3:53 AM

The Hannah hate confuses me. I absolutely adore her, and I kinda wish this were the last season so she and Dexter could run off and live twistedly ever after.

To each their own.

DanDanNoodles

DanDanNoodles

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 4:02 AM

What kind of blackmailer gives up the "juicy" leverage he has on the blackmailee by tipping off the police?

I think he was thinking that he would get the money before they found out, and it would be his farewell "fuck you" to her. Not well thought out, but he didn't seem like the thinking kind.

A two-episode serial killer, is that a new record?

Cosmosgravitati

Cosmosgravitati

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 4:54 AM

He's finally committed the murder of someone completely innocent. All of the other non-Code killings were to protect his family (the S3 pedophile), a mistake (S4 photographer) or self-defense (Liddy). Here, he murdered someone that was not a killer and not a danger to his secret. This is huge.

Actually, he's murdered an innocent before. I think it was after Rita died in season 5. It was some random asshole in a gas station bathroom. I can look up the scene if you don't remember it.

But yeah, this episode sucked and this season sucked after the first five or so episodes.

Mama No Life

Mama No Life

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 5:56 AM

I found it fascinating that Deb, the morally centered person in Dex's life, swallowed the Dark Passenger stuff, but Hannah, who is a killer herself, called bullshit on the whole thing. I'm not sure I like Dex giving up his code, but if Criminal Minds has taught me anything (snort), it's that serial killers do eventually devolve. Maybe this is Dex's swan song?

After Quinn gets busted, Batista gets killed and LaGuerta gets chopped up, the squad room is gonna be rather empty...

jmjm

jmjm

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 6:47 AM

Is there any occasion to which Hannah WON'T wear a transparent white shirt with a black bra? Chilling with her creepy dad, even? There was a point in this episode where she was wearing an opaque orange shirt and my heart was full of hope. But then she was right back with her transparent white shirt with a black bra. Must've been a laundry day.

I'm sure at her and Dexter's horrible wedding (which I speculate they will inflict upon us next season)she will be rocking the transparent white shirt (shirt dress?) with a black bra. Keep it classy, lady.

Jayxter

Jayxter

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 7:27 AM

Actually, he's murdered an innocent before. I think it was after Rita died in season 5. It was some random asshole in a gas station bathroom. I can look up the scene if you don't remember it.

Yeah I completely forgot about that guy; but even he could be written off as a spontaneous kill. Not that that justifies it, but still. Killing Hannah's dad was pre-meditated and calculated

purplebubbles

purplebubbles

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 8:13 AM

WHAT was wrong with Desmond Harrington this episode? He's been looking sickly since S5 but here he was slurring his lines all over the place and looked seriously out of it. The man needs help.

I still have some faint hope that this season might pick itself up again before it ends.

willriley01

willriley01

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 8:34 AM

I'm so over this season. The storylines have been bad for a long time, but they had seemed to be turning it around with Deb finding out. Then Hannah showed up and even the Deb thing started to go downhill fast. But the one thing -the one that really upsets me- is them basically saying that after all this time, after all the kills, that Dexter apparently always thought it wasn't him that was accountable for all of his kills. How many times has he taunted an adversary with being smarter, stronger, better at being a serial killer- that it's "who he is". And now because of this stupid plot with Hannah he's suddenly being twisted into this weird faxsimile of the Dexter character.

I have no problem with Dexter devolving, but him deciding he loves Hannah and this crap with Deb is not devolving. Season one Dex was confident, throwing a parade in his head when he imagined how everyone would react to finding out he was a serial killer. He has always been egotistical and narcissistic, either one, any direction focusing on those traits would make more sense with him devolving. Instead, the writers have given us some stupid "love story" and Dexter "discovering" himself, when he started out pretty freaking sure of what and who he was all along. There were no lies about how much he cared for people, not like the huge ones he tells himself now to justify these plots.

So, the writers suck and I don't buy any of this. Also, I am not a five year old that needs to have everything wrapped up in a pretty little box, making Dex someone I can relate to while basically destroying his character and the entire premise of the show. I want to watch a show about a serial killer, not this crap.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 8:36 AM

I think that was the worst writing of the whole series. So on-the-nose, gah.

I'm pretty sure Matthews has known about Dexter all along. The way he sprinkled all the breadcrumbs in front of LaGuarta was just too convenient, and then to insist that it couldn't be Dexter after giving her all the clues? He knows and he is trying to murder her by proxy.

"When I was 15 my parents thought I was retarted." Ah, Masuka, the only good thing left on this show.

Edited by ThatPoshGirl, Dec 3, 2012 @ 8:37 AM.