9-7: "I Was Made For Lovin' You" 2012.11.29

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

107 replies to this topic

girl22

girl22

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 5:24 AM

I completely get April's freakout. Yes she was VERY inconsiderate of his feelings but if you saw the scene where they are taking her blood, she is ridiculously insecure. She's never been loved. She is told constantly, how annoying she is, by pretty much everyone. She is the punchline of everyone's jokes and she lacks confidence.. Her freaking out and rejoicing at the end was not a bad reaction. She lacks a filter, she always has. So Jackson told her he had feelings for her, he wasn't specific. He was all ambiguous and when a girl/woman's never been in a relationship and she's like 30? You have to spell it out in no uncertain terms. He didn't do that. She was worried that SHE wasn't what he wanted....She's got the mentality of a teenager because that's usually when you have your first love. She's inexperienced and she's clearly never been in a relationship. Throw in that he's her friend, possibly her best, and the filter goes away even more. Because she talks to him like a girlfriend would talk to a girlfriend. She doesn't have anyone to talk to about him, except him. At the end of the episode after ALL of it, she was finally ready to do the relationship thing, and homegirl was heartbroken when he ended it.

As much as the Jackson/April relationship as I take issue with (as I mentioned before when they first slept together) this is hitting the nail on the head in terms of looking at where they are now. I get that people don't like April and that the writers have made her pretty hard to tolerate. And I get that she is neurotic and self absorbed and has spoken without thinking in front of Jackson many times, but I do think that there is more to the story than her just being insensitive I think these three issues, the fact that she has no self confidence, no experience, and no other friends, are the real issues at play in this whole scenario.

April might be 30, but there is more than a maturity gap between her and Jackson (and everyone else around her). It's like a maturity canyon. Clearly this woman has basically not progressed emotionally beyond being a teenager. She might have been so severely sheltered she never moved past this stuff, she might have some sort of psychological block, or maybe she just got so focused with med school that it became a habit. But the fact of the matter is, April is leaps and bounds behind her age in maturity. Think about it, the goofy wedding plans, tendency to overreact, and the focus on self are classic 'young' behaviors. Like many girls I knew as a teen, April has no tact, common sense, or coping skills. For whatever reason April the woman is stuck being April the girl. (Therapy anyone? Hear me writers?)

We've seen on multiple occasions just how much of a joke everyone thinks she is. Everyone. Even Jackson has had his moments of teasing her. And I think April believes her (sometimes well deserved) bad press. She believes all of it and internalizes it, which probably exacerbates her drive to perfectionism. We're talking super low self esteem. When Jackson says he is in, he never says I am in it for you, or I want you with or without a baby, or I love you. Until some one blatantly spells it out for her, she is never going to make that intuitive leap to thinking that maybe someone does want her. Because she already codes the evidence around her as people only tolerating her. Unless it is in your face clear, she won't believe that someone like Jackson would want her. (For all the reasons folks have mentioned here, I mean have we looked at Jackson? She is not unaware of how out of her league this guy is).

And I mean, it's not like they really would be in a place where they'd be ready to get married anyway, minus baby. (I mean seriously, it's been like how long? Not enough time to be all, we're soulmates let's get hitched for life status. Especially when it's April's first relationship). And April said, when they got the results, she wanted to keep dating and start using the pill (though I don't call hooking up in the hospital dating, but there you go). There is a big difference between being relieved you don't have to have a shotgun wedding and become a mother, and actually saying you don't want to continue with Jackson. He's the one who made that interpretation.

Lastly, as Mandso pointed out, April's supposed best friend (although I have some qualms about that) is Jackson. If she had lost her virginity and was flailing around in this situation with any other guy theoretically Jackson would be her "person" to talk to. Who else does she have? So then the problem becomes her filter. A lot of the really annoying and insulting things she says to Jackson would easily sound like the kind of girl talk/guilt/postmortem that girlfriend's would have. Similar to ones we have even seen Mer/Cris have. But when the BF whatever is also your sex buddy and you have no one else to talk to and not enough sense to shut up everything starts to fall to pot.

Given their inclusion in Mer's opening MFEO monologue, I suppose we haven't seen the end of Jackson and April. If they do get back together, I hope the writer's make it a hell of a lot more mature and tolerable than this. (I won't hold my breath). As I said way back when, I don't think that Jackson was being a good friend at all in the first place when she asked him to sleep with her. Even if he had a crush, or too much to drink, I just think it was a poor decision in that situation, at that moment in time. And look where it's led.

I was generally pretty neutral about these two characters, and I think I actually like April in the few and far between plots where she actually, you know, acts like a surgeon and takes care of patients. I think I like her more than Jackson anyway. Now my toleration for them both is really diminishing, but in a weird way my frustration with them has kept me checking back in on the show. I have been pretty meh on everyone else. So I suppose by keeping me angry at how ridiculous everything is the writer's have sort of kept me watching. Not sure how long it will last.

Edited by girl22, Dec 2, 2012 @ 5:37 AM.

Nanda

Nanda

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 7:40 AM

I think many people don't see an abusive pattern in Owen's behavior because they mistake the concepts, 'abuse' and 'savagely violent'. Sometimes abuse can be committed in silence and without a gesture.
'savagely violent' is always an 'abuse' but an 'abuse' not always is 'savagely violent'.

she got an abortion and didn't even tell him

She did tell him! If she hadn't, wouldn't have been punished the way she did.He never would have known. He was informed. And when she missed the first appointment he only didn't know of the second appointment because doggedly didn't answer her calls. Because she not only told him, as she tried to speak to him about it.

drwyatt

drwyatt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 7:48 AM

And I would add that the difference lies in the woman's sense of fear and being controlled. I don't see evidence beyond the PTSD ep that I already cited, that Cristina felt afraid or controlled by Owen. She gave as good as she got in their fights.

havalina

havalina

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 8:25 AM

Okay, so she did tell him she was having an abortion, but I just feel the whole thing could've been handed more clearly. She should've made it clearer that she never wanted to have kids and he should've made it clearer that if she was not gonna change her mind he'd call the engagement off. This is a very important topic in a marriage, I know many real life couples who had the exact same issue and every time I wondered "didn't you guys talk throughly about this BEFORE you got married?" But then again, this is the land where doctors who don't want kids get pregnant TWO TIMES in a row and others freak out because they're 4 DAYS late, so I lost faith in the authenticity of the show a long time ago. They all should be featured in an episode of "32 and Pregnant".

mag32gie

mag32gie

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 1:15 PM

I get that some feel Owen abused Cristina but evidently she doesn't feel that he did.
Didn't she leave him for cheating?
Why would she want to go back to an abuser anyway? I don't think she would, she has no reason to.

As far as Jackson and April, I like it and look forward to April finally growing up. Jackson sees the real April and what she could be, it is pretty clear that he loves her and I am just glad that somebody finally does.

Edited by mag32gie, Dec 2, 2012 @ 1:20 PM.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 1:21 PM

I thought the episode was pretty good. I found it the same as most the past couple of seasons - entertaining enough with some nice scenes throughout.

I never disliked April (never really liked her either, she was just kind of there) but her storyline this year is annoying as hell. There are many storylines that could have incorporated April's religious beliefs while working in such a scientific profession. Instead this "re-virginizing!", "Jesus will hate me!, Let's have sex again!" is ridiculous. So now they'll have April/Jackson broken up, dating other people while secretly pining after each other.

He was all ambiguous and when a girl/woman's never been in a relationship and she's like 30? You have to spell it out in no uncertain terms.

Grey's already did this theme. Meredith never had a relationship before Derek, Derek had to explain that people still show up after a fight. Meredith had drunken ONS for years, April was a virgin but neither were in a relationship prior. They need to come up with something new. We already have seen "woman is emotionally 14, never had a relationship, needs to learn how to be in one" for multiple seasons.

I agree with those that have posted that it was odd to see Arizona at the point she's at. It felt like a couple of episodes was missing from when we last saw her. I am glad that at least she's back to work and was shown happy with Sofia. I found the intern following her around with the squeaky wheelchair funny. It reminded me of the subtle humor Grey's used to sprinkle throughout most episodes.

I'm not a MerDer fan but the pregnancy reveal was sweet even if it was very predictable. Nice that Derek finally put first.

Poor Smash. I love Gaius Charles and I actually really like his character, but I cannot for the life of me remember his name. He'll always be Smash to me! Loved him with the patient and especially the scene with him crying.

His name is Shane. I liked him in the episode also but I want him to leave. I love Gaius and I'd love to see him on a show where he gets more than 6 lines, if that. Grey's certainly gives actors great exposure but not necessary story or screen time.

Speaking of screen time - as always not enough Alex. I guess until the inevitable Alex/Jo hookup he'll continue to get next to nothing. 7 episodes have been aired and I think Boki has been given more than Alex. If salary were broken down to a per minute of screen time number JC would be up there as a top earner.

Edited by WindSprints, Dec 2, 2012 @ 1:23 PM.

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

She should've made it clearer that she never wanted to have kids and he should've made it clearer that if she was not gonna change her mind he'd call the engagement off.

Again, she did in 6.19. The one not clear about his intentions was Owen, as he said in S7 that he thought she'd grow out of it. Both are at fault by never having a real discussion about it but Owen knew Cristina's sentiment about kids. He just dismissed it.

There is a big difference between being relieved you don't have to have a shotgun wedding and become a mother, and actually saying you don't want to continue with Jackson. He's the one who made that interpretation.

TBH, I made the same interpretation that Jackson did. There are ways to deliver things and she made it sound like she was relieved that she wouldn't have to spend her life with him. Also, this isn't the first time April makes this kind of misconception of what she is saying. When she gave her "Jesus and me" speech in EP 4 (I think), she was constantly dismissing Jackson's feelings in the moment. I get that April is new to the sexual world and a late bloomer, but it's common sense to listen to what the other person is saying and not trump it with your issues of the day.

I think that in order to make April more tolerable with her insecurity is to make her less whiny, especially with the whole religion thing.

Edited by AnitaMC86, Dec 2, 2012 @ 1:49 PM.

Gusto

Gusto

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 2:35 PM

It's frightening to me that some people DON'T see it as abusive. Belittling one's spouse as a child ("you don't know what you want"), accusing her of murder, marrying her when she was suffering from PTSD, using angry sex and kissing as a way to shut her up, giving her the silent treatment, cheating on her, verbally assaulting her

THIS! I'm still shocked when some women find men like Owen attractive. As someone who wants to settle down one day and have children, I know I would NEVER EVER consider men like Owen a good husband material. I'm afraid they are setting a bad example for all the teenagers who watch this show. Also, I'm a little fed up with Cristina's behavior. If she, an intelligent, experienced woman, still wants him after everything he put her trough then they really, truly deserve each other.

About April. I don't hate her and I never did. She was OK in her small doses last season: quirky, funny etc. But right now, with her behavior and this current storyline, she has become insufferable. Tone it down writers, nobody cares about this re-virginizing crap. I honestly feel sorry for Sarah Drew. She's not a bad actress, it's the bad writing. I think.

mandso

mandso

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 3:23 PM

Amen to not enough screen time for Alex. Can he please have a storyline already? Even if it's his "luv story", I just want Justin Chambers' face on my screen more... and I know they are showing the whole happy Alex/Arizona scene because things will hit the fan when she finds out it wasn't REALLY Callie who did the actual amputation, which is dumb in itself because there were other doctor's who could have done the surgery, but that's neither here nor there now. I don't mind the interns but I completely agree Gauis needs to find a better gig. He's got mad acting chops, as seen on this episode and he deserves to be one of the main characters of a different show. I do think there are too many and I'm not exactly looking forward to their episode but whatever. They will be used as props to the main characters, and I guess I can deal with that. Not sure how I feel about Jo yet. It tends to change from one episode to the next. I love Tina, and I'm glad she's getting exposure b/c she's awesome. Leah wasn't missed, so much so that I didn't realize she wasn't there so... and I'm not sure what to make of Stephanie. Though I could see a potential Shane/Stephanie hookup being something that they make happen.. Arizona/Callie were sweet, but idk that there has been enough time dedicated to Arizona's quick turn around, and I'm so happy again. I know it's generally Arizona's personality that's happy, but it's just really fast. L0VING Cristina this season. She's still herself, with a softer side, but she's just amazing. Probably one of, if not my favorite character this season so far. So freaking happy for Mer/Der it only took 9 seasons for them to get pregnant and stay pregnant, I say this tentatively b/c you never know with shondaland. Zola will be the best big sister ever, and we better get to see it.

constantLy

constantLy

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

I just had a thought regarding the April/Jackson story line. If April's not pregnant, are they beginning the set up for her having some serious medical condition? I really hope not because the less I see of April, the happier I am. Also, it was nice of Jackson, even in the face of her assy behavior, to tell Alex to lay off the April-bashing.

Nanda

Nanda

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

I get that some feel Owen abused Cristina but evidently she doesn't feel that he did.

That's the problem. The writing. This is a woman who says she's not oblivious but in truth almost everything seems to go unnoticed to her. we are talking of a woman that passed months and months unaware of what was happening between her mentor and her boyfriend. Apart from 6.10, she seemed completely out of touch in regard to what was happening with those two, because none of them bothered to inform her the mess she was in. Actually, she only realized what was happening when he bound by Mer had to confess what was happening. Because depending on her capabilities of analyzing situations in her life, she could have taken a kick in the ass that she would not even realize where it had come from. And by the way, I wonder that we should see that behavior of him in the S6 as not abusive either!
In fact doesn't surprise me at all that she doesn't feel she has being a little abused since almost the beginning.
Moreover, women who are abused many time want to come back to their abusers or they don't even recognize they're being abused. The problem is that his abuses tend to be dismissed by his fans.

This is the only couple on the show that simply doesn't talk. That is strange. If Shonda wants to put them together we have to see them actually talking. But in truth nothing changes. This episode was another example! 'We should talk...', 'We should get a divorce...", 'Is that what you want?'...,'yeah'...!!! Goshhhhhhh.

I agree with those that have posted that it was odd to see Arizona at the point she's at. It felt like a couple of episodes was missing from when we last saw her

It's not only with Calzona. Since the beginning the show had huge gaps in the characters SL. Many things were missing after the crashing and many others have been rushed. I understand the writers don't want to bore and want rotate stories the more they can, but they exaggerated a bit in some ways.

April's SL is a story that many Christians can relate even nowadays. The problem here is that as the issue of sexual relations outside marriage isn't an issue to majority of young people in the Occident, they tried to handle the subject with humor. Though are not reaching the point. And I don't think the problem is Sara Drew which I think is beautiful, talented and funny. But anyway ...

Edited by Nanda, Dec 2, 2012 @ 4:21 PM.

Yellow42758

Yellow42758

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 7:49 PM

Here are the facts:

OWEN TIMELINE:
5x19: Strangles Cristina during a PTSD episode
6x09-6x24: Has an "emotional affair" with Teddy Altman
7x01: Marries Cristina, knowing she has PTSD
7x22: Kicks her out of the house for not considering keeping the baby
8x17: Confesses to infidelity

Cristina isn't blameless, but Owen has done things that make him a much less likable character. The strangling is easiest to forgive; Owen was sick. He has since gotten help. Cristina forgave him and we forgave him. Then came Teddy. Maybe an interesting story... but so bizarrely handled. Dragged on for two-thirds of a season! If the weird Owen/Teddy story wasn't enough, the writers decide that Owen and Cristina should get married. This is what really bothers me: HE MARRIED HER KNOWING SHE WAS MENTALLY UNFIT. That is when I really stopped rooting for them, especially when the writers tried to brainwash us into thinking that Owen was much better for her than Burke. He isn't!

Now, the abortion and cheating: great drama. Can see both sides. But I really find it hard to root for a marriage that started on such muddy soil. And I find it hard to like a character that is so inconsistently written: Owen.

In regards to this episode: I really thought they might reunite by the end. Loved seeing him tell her that they don't work. Loved that he wants a divorce. I want this to play out, even though I know the ending will find them together. And I know it will be contrived. This is just my two cents. I love the drama, but I do not think reuniting them makes any sense.

Edited by Yellow42758, Dec 2, 2012 @ 7:51 PM.

hotspurious

hotspurious

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

As always, when I stop watching the show, I can't resist coming to the boards. You people! Stop being so interesting!!

Owen lost me when he told Cristina that she would change her mind about kids when she grew up. Like having kids is the only way to see maturity in a woman. He is completely unlikeable to me now. I can only see him as a misogynist ass now.

Frankly, I think Cristina is going to have to find love outside of the hospital. It's as simple as that. She needs someone who is removed from these dramas. Also, she needs someone to finally treat her as an equal and not as a little girl who needs to be "guided."

DropTheSoap

DropTheSoap

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 2:40 AM

I want to see April and Owen run away together, leaving the show. I'd even be okay with keeping Jackson if that happened.

Stryker

Stryker

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 8, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

The last 5 minutes made me grin like a loon. It's been a very long time since Greys made me feel like that, so just for that I give this episode 5 stars.

April is truly an awful character. Every time she opens her mouth, I cringe. Jackson is so much better off without her - although I would have loved to see how Mama Jackson would have reacted to the shotgun wedding. I'm thinking she would have eaten April alive!

Cristina needs to stay far away from Owen. She's in such a great place right now with her career and attitude (thank you Mr Feely) and Owen will just bring her down - again. No strong, independent woman needs a man like that.

The crash storyline is all sorts of stupid. Owen is the Chief of SURGERY. Why on earth would he be making budget decisions on which airline carrier the hospital used to transport doctors?! Ridiculous

Edited by Stryker, Dec 8, 2012 @ 10:00 AM.

Subtle Viewer

Subtle Viewer

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 8, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

I cringed during April's relief speech to Jackson and part of it is cause I knew thats exactly what she would say. The writers are obvious. I still sympathize with her though. This is a girl with zero experience with relationships period...she's the band geek who slept with the most popular boy at school...on top of her religious issues I can sort of understand why she is the way she is and why she's acting the way she is. Jackson doesn't have to put up with it though and i'm glad he ended it cause they were going round and round in this endless loop of sex and guilt and hurt feelings and they were getting no where.

I hope this is the catalyst (though i'm not putting money down on it) for April to mature and grow. I haven't been really into "Grey's Anatomy" since about mid season 5. Watched it when hubby was home cause he's the fan. April and Jackson are the main reason I am excited about it again. What can I say, April grew on me.

Jessie monster

Jessie monster

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 4:26 AM

I think my favourite part of Jackson's character is that he actually pays enough attention to whoever he is dating. He dumped both Lexie and April when it became apparent that weren't on the same wavelength as him.

Subtle Viewer

Subtle Viewer

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 23, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

Okay, Jackson’s speech to April about being all in and saying they would get married *was* very sweet. It *is* obvious that he feels something deeper for her then friendship and what they have is more then casual for him, I totally am into that line of thought. Ok, but while he was sweet in that moment, he never ONCE said he wanted to marry her because he loved her! I wouldn’t even call what he did as a proposal…he gave her a solution to a problem. So yeah, she was excited that she didn’t have to get married and wonder forever if the only reason Jackson married her was cause she got knocked up.

So yea, when she was going on about being relieved and dodging a bullet I cringed cause I could see that Jackson was hurt by that, but give me a freaking break! No one wants to get married under those circumstances and I think the fandom just wants to hate April for that moment just cause!

And if Jackson would get his head of his ass and maybe see things from her perspective, he might have understood.

The more and more I think about it, the more I’m happy they are taking a break and seeing other people. I firmly believe they are gonna end up together but April really needs to grow up and Jackson needs to get his shit together too.

Edited by Subtle Viewer, Dec 23, 2012 @ 5:04 PM.