2-7: "Dark Cousin" 2012.11.28

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

120 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 5:55 PM

Sister Mary Eunice is terrified to discover a dark angel at Briarcliff; Kit makes a bold move to be reunited with Grace.

KermitD.Frog

KermitD.Frog

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

Moira... So good to see you again!

Poor Grace! But did I miss the part where Sister Mary Satan blames Grace for bringing the Angel Who Ends Human Suffering?

I'm not sure I get what happened to Jude in the diner bathroom. Did she slit her wrists or what?
Also, like Jude, I thought the hit and run girl was dead, since the newspaper headline said she had been missing for 6 days. Or was this entire newspaper just a mindfuck?

And why did Sister Mary Satan seem so surprised by Lana's news about Threds? When Satan was in Jed, he said something about liking BF's work.

And like other have predicted, Threds raped Lana. Bring on the murder baby.

But poor real Mary Eunice is suffering in there. I was hoping she didn't know or was at least going along with Satan, but it looks like she's just as suffery as the rest of them.

In the CC, the cranky car driver who picked up Lana said her name, but thye blanked it out. I can't imagine what purpose that would have served originally, to have him say that.

And Arden didn't perform the hysterectomy. Another vote for 'aliens are really real'.

Edited by KermitD.Frog, Nov 28, 2012 @ 11:09 PM.

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

Lets start with Lana...well that went all rapey. I guess I should have figured Oliver wanted to frack mommy that is part of the usual pathology isn’t it? But yes Lana wanted to live and used Wendy’s picture to fight back. You go girl! Then of course she gets into a car with a psycho and ends up back in Briarcliff because Lana is the unluckiest girl in all the world. If it wasn’t for bad luck she’d have no luck at all.

Now on the Sister Jude. I really liked the back story and how she ended up tat the nunnery. Also the convo with the angel with the angel and the family of the girl she apparently didn’t kill (nice reveal). I actually reared up for Sister Jude.

Poor Grace. Another one bites the dust but maybe it is for the best. She was looking kinda rough.

Sister Mary Eunice is really starting to come into her villainy there. Might even been out shining Doctor Arden and Thredson. Then again she is the devil right. Right?

Oh one last thing...how much money is Sarah Paulson getting paid to get strapped to a bed? I mean how many episodes is it so far>

Edited by Nightmare Logic, Nov 28, 2012 @ 11:17 PM.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 11:13 PM

There were so many things going on in this episode. All traumatizing to me.

I hate rape scenes. HATE THEM. I figured it was coming 2 episodes ago but I still wasn't prepared for that. The people on the internet who are still shipping her with Thredson(and describing that scene as a sex scene and not rape) after that scene need to be in an asylum themselves.

Lana has the work luck ever.

Sister Mary Satan continues to entertain the ever loving shit out of me. I love her machinations. From smacking down Arden to knowing all along who Bloody Face was. And that showdown between her and the Angel of Death gave me goosebumps. I want more scenes of them together. Lily Rabe was doing the damn thing this episode. This role is so much better for her than last season.

Oh, and the real Mary Eunice is still in there screaming to be saved. Somebody help her! I bet it will be Sister Jude in the end.

Can't wait Santa Ian Mcshane next week!

Edited by Turkish, Nov 28, 2012 @ 11:14 PM.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 11:15 PM

Poor Grace! But did I miss the part where Sister Mary Satan blames Grace for bringing the Angel Who Ends Human Suffering?

The whole promo was full of stuff taken out of context; the dialogue was actually towards the black guy who killed himself at the start of the episode but the promo put it in a different scene completely out of context.

Also, them throwing in a new flashback scene to explain away why the devil did not originally confront Thredson about being Bloody Face....

dizzyd

dizzyd

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

So why is Lucifer terrified of Death? Can't have 2 dark angels competing? Excellent acting by Lily Rabe as Mary Eunice trying to break out of the devil's control. I thought Death was very comforting, I might have to visualize Francis Conroy when I'm about to meet my Maker. Arden's magic serum must have really been powerful or else I can't see how Grace could be ambulatory after having her reproductive system excavated (the horror). And what was the point of introducing Miles, has anyone seen him before? I think a lot of us had guessed the blue coat girl (Missy) was alive, but I wonder if Jude actually bit it in that diner restroom and what came after was just wishful thinking as she died. I keep saying this every week, poor Lana, she can't catch a break.

summerwind74

summerwind74

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 11:21 PM

This episode really had some great moments. Basically everything with Jessica Lange in it. I've found this season realllly cringeworthy (I mean that in the best of senses). There's virtually no light at all in this series. Everything just goes from bad to worse ALL the time. Case in point being the Perils of Lana. Unlike Season 1, there's no humor to leaven things. Sure, Sister Mary is darkly comic, but still---this season has been hard to watch.

I think I understand the larger point (if it can be said that Ryan Murphy ever has just one) RM is trying to make about women suffering cruelly in a male-dominated world. But if he's trying to make societal criticism, maybe he shouldn't be using anvils from Acme. It's not wearing well.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Nov 29, 2012 @ 11:07 AM.
Topic

carried away

carried away

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

Frances Conroy is absolutely FLAWLESS as the Angel of Death. And she looks more gorgeous than ever.

I guess since Arden didn't do the surgery, the aliens are real. I, for one, am happy they are. I want to see what their angle is.

So Thredson rapes Lana. Good call, everyone, and hello modern day BF (probably). I thought ZQ's acting during the rape scene really represented what a dude with mommy issues would look like in the throes, all awkward and jackrabbit-y.

Poor Lana, can't catch a break. I was literally yelling "RUN BITCH, RUN!" while she was escaping, and then "TUCK AND ROLL!" when she was in the car. So sad she ended up back at Briarcliff, but that was to be expected. (And no one knows she's there except Sister Mary Satan: Yikes!!)

Poor, poor Sister Jude. Her fiance gave her syphilis, rendering her infertile, and then he blames her and leaves her. No wonder she started drinking. And then living with the thought that she was a murderer all these years. Just... horrifying. I mean, she still committed a crime, but to blame yourself for something like that for so long? Ouch. I thought for sure she was gonna end up a patient at Briarcliff (as someone very astutely pointed out might be a possibility), but I guess they just dropped that cause in the next scene she was at Missy's house...

Kit bringing the Raspers into the story: Yay! Grace is now dead: Yay! (Even though I did feel bad for her in the end, there). It's all coming together so perfectly and I am in love with this season!

Oh yeah, I love Frank! He seems like the only one there with any compassion.

Edited by carried away, Nov 28, 2012 @ 11:46 PM.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

So why is Lucifer terrified of Death?

The Angel of Death could bring God's direct intervention to foil the Devil's scheme or could fight Satan one on one and Satan probably is not interested in a fight with someone who could go toe-to-toe with him in the power department....

tigerdee41

tigerdee41

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

Wow..Everything may not have made sense but I loved it regardless.

So the aliens gave Grace a hysterectomy? I wonder why she got one but Alma is allowed to have her child. Somehow I don't thin Grace is dead. If she is I'm sure we'll be seeing her as a ghost or a hallucination of Kit's.

Lily Rabe/Jessica Lange/Zachery Quinto, and Sarah Paulson all deserve Emmys for their performance. If it wasn't for their strong acting this show wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 11:37 PM

There's virtually no light at all in this series. Everything just goes from bad to worse ALL the time. Case in point being the Perils of Lana.

Seriously, woman cannot catch a break! Hope she's at least one of the ones left standing when it's all said and done. As much as I love Jessica Lange's work this season, I'd give the Emmy to Paulson.(if they were both up for one) Lily Rabe also is doing excellent work too,but still I'd chose SP.

Edited by valny, Nov 28, 2012 @ 11:41 PM.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

I think Grace is dead and the storyline makes sense, if Kit escaping and living happily ever after with Alma (assuming she resurfaces) is the endgame.

Ironically, it would have made more drama if Kit had been shot since with Kit dead, the police would be even more unwilling to believe Lana's revelations about the real identity of Bloodyface. And it would throw Grace back in with Lana as far as allies go.

kelly28rn

kelly28rn

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 12:22 AM

Lana has the work luck ever.

There had to be a better way for her to end up back at Briarcliff than the bizarre 10 second ride with the psycho. And what in the world has Tom Cruise's cousin's career come to that he would acccept the role of the driver?

I didn't understand why the man had to sacrifice himself to the meat slicer to summon the dark angel.

yoshi

yoshi

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 12:36 AM

I didn't understand why the man had to sacrifice himself to the meat slicer to summon the dark angel.

I think he just meant to commit suicide. But whenever someone is at a low point, where death would be a blessed relief, their "song" summons the angel and she asks if they want her gift or to keep fighting.

Whatsyourface

Whatsyourface

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 1:11 AM

So, uh, why did Dark Angel Moira not come for Shelley? That's when she was really needed. I guess because she wasn't summoned or whatever? Which reminds me, you'd think that in an insane asylum they wouldn't let patients around a meat slicer. But, Briarcliff isn't your friendly neighborhood asylum anyway.

Did I really just watch Kit bludgeon Bob Pinciotti?

VirgoTaurus

VirgoTaurus

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 1:16 AM

Easily my least favorite episode of the season, it felt way too rushed.

Given the confrontation between Eunice and the Angel it would appear the it's not THE DEVIL inside her but just a regular demon.

Lana's rape/escape/return was soooo contrived it just makes everything else feel wrong. She would be in an actual hospital not Briarcliff and the timing of it doesn't fit with the rest of the story. Ollie's decision to kill her negates everything they went though at the end of the last episode when she called him "baby". It doesn't fit AT ALL.

Kit's escape/return was contrived. I don't care if he's visiting his lawyer he would be in shackles and they would be visiting IN THE JAIL not the lawyer's office.

The demon in Eunice knew about Ollie because it said "I'm glad I gave you up" when pretending to be his mom. The extra line of "I love your work Bloodyface" was like dropping a damned anvil on a Dixie cup. They should have flashed to the actual line that aired,m not made a new one.

Frances McDormond was excellent in all her scenes as was Jessica Lange. Lily Rabe smacking Arden down was enjoyable too. Everything else was crap.

Edited by VirgoTaurus, Nov 29, 2012 @ 1:18 AM.

Candy Moocher

Candy Moocher

Fanatic

• Interests:I love my basset hound.

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 2:07 AM

As much as I love Jessica Lange's work this season, I'd give the Emmy to Paulson.(if they were both up for one) Lily Rabe also is doing excellent work too,but still I'd chose SP.

Wouldn't Jessica Lange be in the Lead Actress category, while Sarah and Lily would be Supporting?

I really, really hope that Murphy isn't going to play the she-tried-to-kill-herself-but-lived-oh-but-wait-she's-really-dead thing again. He wouldn't, would he?

Snookums

Snookums

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 2:27 AM

I'm not sure I get what happened to Jude in the diner bathroom. Did she slit her wrists or what?
Also, like Jude, I thought the hit and run girl was dead, since the newspaper headline said she had been missing for 6 days. Or was this entire newspaper just a mindfuck?

Jude was thinking about what going through with suicide would really be like. She pictured the razor, the blood, the release, and realized she was done being a coward in that way. As the scene in the diner made clear, she was very familiar with the Angel. She'd called to her before, and each time chose something else. This time the Angel was encouraging her to to just finish with it and come home, the winters are so cold here--but Jude knew she couldn't go without confessing. She'd confessed to God, but not to the world, and you have to wrap up your worldly affairs before you can reach peace in the afterlife.

Jude's realization that she had not, in fact, killed the girl was a stunner. The headline actually read that it was the 6th day of the police searching for the hit and run driver. If she'd read the rest of the article she'd have known fifteen years ago she hadn't killed her, but since she already "knew" what she'd done, she couldn't face seeing it in print--and the next fifteen years were based on false information.

Interesting that the devil uses what you tell yourself as opposed to objective fact to torture souls. Just like the voices in the first patient's head.

I hate rape scenes. HATE THEM. I figured it was coming 2 episodes ago but I still wasn't prepared for that. The people on the internet who are still shipping her with Thredson(and describing that scene as a sex scene and not rape) after that scene need to be in an asylum themselves.

God, what do some people want? The woman was chained up by a serial killer being violated and it's still not rape???

I dislike the rough treatment of women on this show, and the grotesquely disproportinate amount of said treatment, but that was not presented as anything but a rape. Anybody who could be a "shipper" after watching that--I don't want to be in the same room with them anytime soon.

So why is Lucifer terrified of Death?

I read it as a kid who's a big man in his room but pants wettingly terrified when confronted with an actual angry parent. Plus, Satan can only tempt and corrupt souls when they have something they want in this life. To surrender to Death is to be beyond his/her reach. You'll notice she fought and manipulated hard to keep Grace alive until she could come up (presumably) with something to lure her in. But I guess even Satan can't be everywhere at once.

So, uh, why did Dark Angel Moira not come for Shelley? That's when she was really needed. I guess because she wasn't summoned or whatever?

Maybe Shelly couldn't summon her, she'd been too destroyed by Dr. Arden? Plus, Shelley never wanted to die--she fought to live and on her terms (the same way Lana wasn't ready to go, even in the darkest possible circumstances.)

Which reminds me, you'd think that in an insane asylum they wouldn't let patients around a meat slicer.

I've been bitching about that for weeks! The lax supervision given to highly unstable people around sharp and hot things is way more unbelievable then Angels of Death, escaped Nazis, and aliens.

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

• Interests:television (duh!), pro wrestling, pop culture, awards shows, writing, dreaming, procrastinating

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 4:02 AM

Maybe Shelly couldn't summon her, she'd been too destroyed by Dr. Arden? Plus, Shelley never wanted to die--she fought to live and on her terms (the same way Lana wasn't ready to go, even in the darkest possible circumstances.)

But Shelly had also begged Charlotte to kill her, so I'm wondering if this was just a plot hole. Lana wasn't ready to go because, IMO, she still bore hope that she would escape Bloody Face's basement (which she did), and that people would believe her story, serving justice to Bloody Face and exonerating Kit (which has yet to be seen).

As mentioned earlier, I am fascinated by the concept of what is possessing Mary Eunice -- is it a demon or the Devil himself? And on that note, I'm surprised by how even Satan is presented as having some shades of moral grey on this show. Yes, Devil Mary Eunice savagely murdered the Mexican and the detective, has tormented Sister Jude, is keeping the real Mary Eunice at bay -- and *yet*, the character is the only one that has a chance of punishing Dr. Arden. What does Devil Mary Eunice have to gain by this? I assume it's all about power?

Just like he did on "Nip/Tuck", Ryan Murphy really does have a way of using the Angel of Death as a powerful plot device (witness the "Julia McNamara" episode of S2 Nip/Tuck, one of the show's strongest episodes). I was struck by how it presented death as peaceful, despite the fact that most characters encountering it this episode were approaching it via painful and violent means.

lisasquared

lisasquared

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 4:53 AM

Until this show loses its fascination with and stops showing women being sexually molested and raped, I'm out.

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 5:28 AM

Until this show loses its fascination with and stops showing women being sexually molested and raped, I'm out.

I don't know; I think it's showing what went on and was out up with a lot at the time. Sure, it's exaggerated for tv, but I think it's pretty daring to hit viewers in the face with reality. Most shows wouldn't 'go there' or pretend everything was great for Suzy Homemaker in the early 60's, when in fact people like Shelly were locked up, people like Lana were unjustly institutionalized for being gay and forced upon conversion therapy etc.

That said I don't disagree with your opinion if it bothers you, but I don't think Ryan Murphy just did it for kicks.

KermitD.Frog

KermitD.Frog

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 6:53 AM

I thought for sure she was gonna end up a patient at Briarcliff (as someone very astutely pointed out might be a possibility), but I guess they just dropped that cause in the next scene she was at Missy's house...

They did show her at some point, sitting at the table in the diner, and the waitresses saying, "We should call Briarcliff. They'll at least have a bed for her, for the night." This was what confused me. I wasn't sure if they meant everything that happened after Jude walked into the diner was just her imagination? Wishful thinking? it's the only explanation that makes sense. How could someone slice up their own wrist in the bathroom and be lying dead on the floor, walk out of the bathroom and make a deal with the Angel of Death (what does Death get out of it, anyway), make amends with Blue Coat's family, then end up back at the diner with nary a cut on her?

I think he just meant to commit suicide. But whenever someone is at a low point, where death would be a blessed relief, their "song" summons the angel and she asks if they want her gift or to keep fighting.

I thought sacrificing his own body/blood and writing the Angel's name on the wall with said blood was what summoned her? Although, if he didn't even know what was he was writing, someone else must have had a hand in it?
Shelley couldn't summon the Angel because she didn't have her own blood to write the name on the wall.

Tom Cruise's cousin's career

I thought the same thing!

Did I really just watch Kit bludgeon Bob Pinciotti?

Desperate times and all that...

Ollie's decision to kill her negates everything they went though at the end of the last episode when she called him "baby". It doesn't fit AT ALL.

I think he was implying that he had to kill her to put her out of her misery. He said he didn't think he should have taken her, and since she knows about him and his doings, he felt his ownly recourse was to kill her sympathetically. Compared to peeling her skin off in strips like the last girls, I would say death by sleep/strangluation/slit throat would be what BF would consider humane.

Jude was thinking about what going through with suicide would really be like. She pictured the razor, the blood, the release, and realized she was done being a coward in that way.

She looked down and saw herself lying on the floor in a pool of blood. Was that supposed to be part of the daydream?

The headline actually read that it was the 6th day of the police searching for the hit and run driver.

Oh, that makes so much more sense. Thanks!

I think there's a fine line between showing what happened back in the 60's to women, blacks, homosexuals, etc and almost glorifying it as entertainment. Sometimes I really can't tell what RM is going for.

The Mighty Peanut

The Mighty Peanut

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 7:39 AM

I wish I had a better way to say this than "I don't mind the rape scenes", but I don't mind the rape scenes. They are very difficult to watch but sexual violence is presented in as much of an extreme literal portrayal as all of the other atrocities and betrayals committed by people the inmates depend on for their spiritual, psychological, and physical needs. It's not porny. No one can walk away from it and still half believe in shit like legitimate rapes or that promiscuity is a semi-valid excuse to violate a human being unless they themselves are crazy and/or rapists.

I will take all of this back if aliens anally probe anyone on the show.

bklyndodger

bklyndodger

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 8:43 AM

Frances Conroy - stunning as the Angel of Death!!

You'd think that Frank would have been more concerned with the Build-a-Monster on the floor than Kit. Oh wait a minute...he probably didn't see it cuz it's so friggin' dark in that place!!! They must be LIPA customers.

Poor, poor Lana. She just cannot win for trying. I was asking my TV to tell Lana to shackle Dr. BF and call the cops.

KermitD.Frog

KermitD.Frog

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 9:05 AM

Can someone explain why they had to imbed a Crown of Screws into Lana's head at the begiining of both admissions? I kinda see the one she had to wear this time (if she broke her neck or something), but the first time, she had just been konked in the head.

whammo

whammo

Couch Potato

• Interests:I am Reality TV's Bitch. Also lurve BSG, Heroes, Dr. Who, Torchwood; continue to mourn the loss of the Wire (RIP Omar), Deadwood, Homicide:LOTS and all things Whedon.<br /><br />When not staring into the plasma, I defend Corporate America against the slow, gangrenous death that gubbmint bureaucrats frequently inflict on good people and good ideas. (Not infrequently, I also strive to give Corporate America a smackdown when it gets out of line).

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 9:31 AM

You'd think that Frank would have been more concerned with the Build-a-Monster on the floor than Kit. Oh wait a minute...he probably didn't see it cuz it's so friggin' dark in that place!!! They must be LIPA customers.

This! Hopefully Frank joins the forces of good next week. I'm sure that Sister Mary Satan will somehow get Dr. BF's basement sparkling clean by next episone, but we can't really ignore the dead hunk of diseased flesh on the kitchen floor, can we, Frank? RM? (And, as someone who grew up with LILCO and has family who just spent two weeks in the dark due to LIPA's ineptitude, I share your scorn.)

Can someone explain why they had to imbed a Crown of Screws into Lana's head at the begiining of both admissions? I kinda see the one she had to wear this time (if she broke her neck or something), but the first time, she had just been konked in the head.

I thought that was the headgear for the electroshock machine.

Edited by whammo, Nov 29, 2012 @ 9:33 AM.

Nutzi

Nutzi

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

A Halo is sometime used to stabilize people who have upper (cervical) spinal cord injuries.

I had to laugh out loud when Thredson said he didn't believe in guns.

BonnieD

BonnieD

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

Given the confrontation between Eunice and the Angel it would appear the it's not THE DEVIL inside her but just a regular demon.Given the confrontation between Eunice and the Angel it would appear the it's not THE DEVIL inside her but just a regular demon.

Agreed. Just a lower echelon demon and not Satan, otherwise the thing would be more all knowing than it appears to be.

And hey, what ever happened to Pepper? She went to the bathroom several episodes ago and never came back. Did the mutants get her?

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

I think Lily Rabe needs to Emmy this time, she didn't make a huge impression on me in the first series but wow, she's killing it now. Devil Mary Eunice is awesome. Then real crying Mary Eunice made her appearance and she switched back to the devil was really good.

Of course the Devil would love sociopaths, telling the young girl to just go do what she wants and not be ashamed of it. I'm waiting for her and Thedson to have some scenes. That's a mommy that can love him.

Given the confrontation between Eunice and the Angel it would appear the it's not THE DEVIL inside her but just a regular demon.Given the confrontation between Eunice and the Angel it would appear the it's not THE DEVIL inside her but just a regular demon.

The Angel did say it was a fallen Angel hence the calling her cousin thing. Maybe all the fallen Angels calls themselves the devil, just like all the Angels are called Angels. So Mary Eunice is not Satan, just one of his followers.

Edited by Sakura12, Nov 29, 2012 @ 12:06 PM.

johchi

johchi

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

Lana's rape/escape/return was soooo contrived it just makes everything else feel wrong. She would be in an actual hospital not Briarcliff and the timing of it doesn't fit with the rest of the story. Ollie's decision to kill her negates everything they went though at the end of the last episode when she called him "baby". It doesn't fit AT ALL.

Kit's escape/return was contrived. I don't care if he's visiting his lawyer he would be in shackles and they would be visiting IN THE JAIL not the lawyer's office.

Those two contrivances are why I won't be watching this show anymore. I wasn't surprised by the rape, but escaping, then encountering crazy guy, and then ending up back in Briarcliff? They crossed a line into ridiculousness that I can't look past.

The Angel of Death plot was contrived, too. It seemed like they needed to find a way to use Frances Conroy, and this is what they came up with.

The only good thing about this episode was Jude's discovery that the girl she hit didn't die. That changes everything for her.