15-18: 2012.11.26

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

190 replies to this topic

erineyes

erineyes

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

Only because Shawn performed it And she happens to be a gymnast, are we hearing this unfair uproar and criticism. Some lifts, Flips, tumbles somersaults, athletic moves mixed with standard dance moves are the Norm for a good freestyle. As are speed, explosive moves and high energy.

I haven't seen or heard any uproar about the dance...criticism yes, but not that much tbh. I didn't think there was anything wrong with incorporating gymnastics into the dance either but I wasn't blown away by it, probably because Shawn is an Olympic gold medalist in the sport so of course it was going to be good.

There seems to be a double standard being applied here. Had Tony or Val created that same freestyle for Melissa and Kelly, they would be called geniuses.

If Melissa and Kelly had done that level of gymnastics in their routine I would have been blown away because, unlike Shawn, they haven't been doing it their whole lives. And I think that's what it boils down to for me...a gymnast doing gymnastic stunts in a dance competition isn't that impressive, especially when the other dancers can't compete on that level.

If it is wrong for Shawn to do lifts and flips in her freestyle, then it would be wrong for Melissa to incorporate any balletic moves or cheerleading moves in hers.

It's not wrong, it makes sense she would play to her strengths as the others did. However she's the only one who's lived and breathed her talent since early childhood, had the best coaches in the world, was in one of the best teams in the world and won at the highest level a gymnast can achieve. Her life is an acoomplishment thus far and she should be proud of herself, but I don't think she should necessarily win for doing a floor tumble or overhead somersault that she probably mastered in childhood.

I'm actually quite conflicted because I really like Shawn and think she's a great dancer but, while her freestyle was very good, it just didn't blow me away or make me want to root for her. I preferred Melissa's because it was the only one that drew me in and held my attention. There may have been a lot of lifts but I appreciated that this was difficult (Tony's back) and risky considering how easy it is to fumble and fall. I also think they took a risk doing contemporary dance which isn't that popular on the show but, imo, it worked.

I like Kelly a lot, but I don't think Val did her justice in either dance. She certainly deserved better than his attention grabbing moment on the violin when she should have been the one in focus during the aerial display. At least Derek made sure that Shawn was the centerpiece of their dance so kudos to him for that.

LadyMustang65

LadyMustang65

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 5:54 PM

sussidio said, "I actually like when the dancers/celebs were partnered with different people that they haven't danced before, like Kelly/Val, Shawn/Derek, and Apolo/Karina. What I've seen is that TPTB haven't been consistent at all this season in what they have done ...."

They were pretty consistent with the pairings. All of the past winners with the exception of Emmitt (who I read somewhere would only return with Cheryl as his partner, but I have no idea if that is true) had new partners. All of the past nonwinners were paired with their original partners (except Gilles who got passed off to Peta so they could accommodate Emmitt (allegedly)). That's how Mark ended up with Bristol and Derek got Shawn. I think that was the show's way of "handicapping" the past winners, and it makes perfect sense to me (not something I can usually say about the show). If they had insisted that Emmitt have a new partner, then Gilles would have gotten Cheryl, and I think this season would have been a very different one indeed. But with the exception of Cheryl's past partners, they were very consistent in how they operated.

Jessicus said, "Despite how negative this may sound, I really adored this season and found very few things to complain about."

I feel the same way. I did not like the idea of mixing up past winners with nonwinners and would have preferred to see the season with all nonwinners competing for a "second chance" at the trophy. But that said, it's given us some great dancing and some fun moments. I could have done without the Kelly/Val showmance, but they've been balanced out by the great team of Tony and Melissa. They've tried some pretty bizarre things - like the theme dances and the fusion dances - but there were some gems in there as well. I'm hoping for a Melissa win because I do not want to see a repeat winner, but I think the final three are all good. My hoped-for final three were Melissa, Sabrina and Gilles, but that didn't happen. Barring that, I really wanted to see Apolo in the final, but I missed out again. Still, I've enjoyed the season overall. But I'll be glad to return to our regular season of "newbies."

reneebob said, "I'll say it. I LOATHE Dirty Dancing. It's the most over rated piece of crap I've ever seen. So I am okay with what they did because I didn't WANT it to be about Dirty Dancing. That movie needs a fork stuck in it.. "

Thank you for having the guts to say what I could never say outside my own living room. I enjoyed watching the dancing in that movie, but the rest of it was awful. Every time they called the girl "Baby" I just wanted to scream.

Blue Plastic

Blue Plastic

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 5:58 PM

I forgot to say that I really commend Kelly for her aerial sequence. It was well done even if I didn't flove the dance overall. I've had inner ear problems as I understand she does, and I wouldn't have wanted to hang upside down while spinning and trying to hit pretty poses. I'd be a vomiting mess! So kudos to her for being willing and doing a good job too.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

then Gilles would have gotten Cheryl, and I think this season would have been a very different one indeed.

I think if Gilles had gotten Cheryl, they would have won this season. I think he was the most anticipated return star for many people. Actually it would have been funny to have Shawn and Gilles go head-to-head again. It would have been a more exciting finale as well.

MTJ

MTJ

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 6:09 PM

Shawn and Derek's rules-be-damned shtick has gotten tiresome.

Val's chest has gotten tiresome.

All three freestyles were tiresome.

Aside from Team Call Me Maybe and Team Gangnam Style, this entire season has stunk.

pjamma

pjamma

Stalker

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

Didn't Kelly's show in Vegas "Peep Show" have her doing some areial gymnastics? At least that's what I immediately thought when I saw her in the air.

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 6:40 PM

I think Shawn's a terrific dancer, works hard, and is smart to play to her strengths. I just don't want her to win because I like Melissa better, particularly her partnership with Tony. If Melissa didn't dance well or work hard, I wouldn't root for her no matter how much I liked her.

But that's the way this show works. Its a popularity contest. The best dancer doesn't always win, but I think Shawn will take it because she can do things the others can't and has the best choreographer for a partner.

Alyce

Alyce

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

I absolutely love Melissa & Tony and have been rooting for them the entire season! However, I live in CA & after the show I tried calling in to vote for them the entire hour & kept getting a recording that said I reached a number that was not in service.

Then when I tried to vote online half of the night for them, I kept getting messages that said "server busy!" This went on for over 9 hours, until I finally gave up! But I tried Melissa & Tony! I really did!

Last season, my friends & I got tickets to attend one of the shows. Tony actually came up in the audience & introduced himself to us. He was really very nice! We also got to meet Derek, too, when he walked by when we were in line. But we really appeciated Tony coming around & mingling with the audience during the breaks. None of the other pros did that.

While I do like Derek's choreography, I don't like them purposely breaking the rules. And this is not the Olympics, it is a dance competition. I feel their numbers should have contained a little more dancing & a little less acrobatics. And the whole Olympic team? Where is Fonzie & the shark?

Edited by Alyce, Nov 27, 2012 @ 8:54 PM.

catrice2

catrice2

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

Before the winner is crowned let me just say that I am glad I did not watch this season from start to finish. The manipulation going on last night was too much. Everything was so contrived and scripted! I am sure VAl and Kelly thought of a Black Gospel choir, just as I am sure that Derek and Shawn have NEVER thought all year about having the Olympic darlings participate in some manner.

If I heard one more word about Tony never getting a trophy and Melissa being so sweet and perfect and her growth ( I cannot be the only person that sees how awkward her legs look?) when all she is doing is showing off her cheerleading moves. It was SUCH A STRETCH for her to be lifted and thrown like that, wow!!

Val is skeevy, Derek is just annoying and Tony is just boring...and I am a Derek fan. This has to be the most boring final I've ever watched.

OakGoblinfly

OakGoblinfly

Fanatic

• Interests:Book-devouring, SiFi-geeking, Anime-Watching, Hockey-Loving transplanted NY gal now living in Northern VA.

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

Shawn and Derek's freestyle lasted 100 seconds. From my calculations, the supposedly "gymnastic" portion of the routine lasted close to 10 seconds, +/- 1 sec. That would be close to 10-15% of the entire routine, adding a few percentage points as gift to the critics.

Shawn and Derek's "dance" portion of their freestyle was a whopping 85-90% of their allotted time. Pretty good for a gymnast, I think.

I would love to see how that stacks up against the actual dancing performed by Kelly and Melissa in their freestyle. Shawn had the most ballroom (actual ballroom people, the dance style that the audience/social media bemoan was missing from this season and what the show should be about) content of any of the three freestyles.

If Melissa and Kelly had done that level of gymnastics in their routine I would have been blown away because, unlike Shawn, they haven't been doing it their whole lives. And I think that's what it boils down to for me...a gymnast doing gymnastic stunts in a dance competition isn't that impressive, especially when the other dancers can't compete on that level.

Melissa has been taking ballet lessons for most of her life and performed a ballet-lite contemporary piece. Kelly has been an actress her entire life and she relied heavily on her acting ability during that freestyle.

I donít see any difference between that and Shawn performing one or two tumbling tricks during her freestyle.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 4:15 PM

Before the winner is crowned let me just say that I am glad I did not watch this season from start to finish. The manipulation going on last night was too much

Amen! Towards the beginning I was sitting there and had a flashback to preschool. The teacher comes in with a gushy fake voice and tries to get the kids in the mood for "Let's Be Happy and Dance" day or whatever malarkey was written in the teacher's guide. That same sort of guiding voice, to lead the kids to behave and be excited. I shivered with revulsion. But powered through. I know not why. It's one of the mysteries of my life.