25-11: "Hell Hath Frozen Over" 2012.11.28

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

240 replies to this topic

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted Nov 25, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

No episode description available yet!

SilentMinority

SilentMinority

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

The best part of the entire episode was Penner & Probst at the very end.

I am always loathe to get anywhere near the tinfoil hat on most reality shows, but I donít think Iíve ever been so close to calling shenanigans on Survivor. Abi gets wind of an advantage at the auction and immediately grabs it the second it appears (of course that was ďthe planĒ, Jeff; Iím sure Abi was tipped off that she needed to be ready to grab that the moment it appeared). Instead of moving her up one leg in a 3-part challenge (the way itís been done before), it moves her directly to the end. Then they add the twist of the awkward weight-bearing bags to both of the first two rounds to help ensure that whomever survives to the 3rd round will likely be both exhausted and with an additional encumbrance. Then Carter and Penner (but not Abi) have a chance to have yet another weight added, which might very well have been the difference in Carterís performance.

I know Survivor just LOVES it when the obvious next boot wins the IC, and it seems to happen way more often than the odds would suggest.

So: SHENANIGANS!

Thanks, Penner, for calling out Lisa on her incessant ďIím not cut out for this gameĒ. We got your point 3 episodes ago; repeating it ad nauseum makes you look like a squirrel.

Of course it came down to Denise and Penner, 2 of the people I really wanted in the F3. So much for that wild fantasy. At least Penner went out with a flourish, and Abi was denied her petty vengeance. What a piece of work.

athena23

athena23

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

This is the first time since the first season of watching Survivor that I'm buying into the conspiracy theory angle. First, should Probst have challenged Abi on what the non-rest of the message said? I'm not sure how I feel about that. What I do know is that there could not have been a better challenge designed for Abi, she of the bad knee who participateth in no challenges, to win, especially with that advantage. Granted, good on her (grudgingly) for having the wherewithal to wait for the bonus in the auction--which Penner, at the very least, should have foreseen!--but still. Perhaps I'm just bitter because my Penner is gone (although I'm glad that Denise is still around; that was a tough one) and Abi, whom I hate with the fire of a thousand burning suns, etc., lives to smirk another day. (And yeah, she obviously learned a lot from "the worst day of my life." Bah.)

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Ugh that sucked! I know he did it to himself but I love him and didn't want him to go. He's just too damn charming and sly for his own good.

I never like anything that makes Abi happy. And Denise (Denies, ha!) is getting a bit of smug on her that I find off-putting.

I suppose I will root for Malcolm and Skupin. But I really wanted Jonathan to win booo. And he doesn't get to have family visit and irritate Probst. How disappointing. At least he outlasted Kent.

lleykian54

lleykian54

Couch Potato

So Abi's still annoying and joy, we get an extra week of her. And I love how she still keeps acting like she's such a victim. Whatever woman...shut up already. Penner screwed himself by not securing an alliance. I have to say though, after this challenge, I wonder if any of the alliance of 4 (Lisa, Skupin, Denise and Malcolm) have started to realize that when it comes time to get rid of Carter it may not be as simple as they think because dude is proving to be a challenge monster.

Even with the extra bag of weights he was very, very close to winning that challenge too. They might have another Fabio on their hand...not the brightest tool in the shed but takes off on a crazy immunity run when it counted the most.

This is the first time since the first season of watching Survivor that I'm buying into the conspiracy theory angle. First, should Probst have challenged Abi on what the non-rest of the message said? I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Yeah I felt the same way but then I remembered that they allowed Fairplay to go on with his dead grandmother scheme when supposedly, Burnett & Co. did a fact-check as soon as the friend showed up with that story and knew it wasn't true. I guess they see it as part of the whole "outwit" thing.

Edited by lleykian54, Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:07 PM.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

So, thoughts: everyone sucked except Malcolm/Denise, basically.

1) Everyone should know that the Survivor Auction has featured a game/challenge advantage for a while now. Obviously Abi was just waiting for it. Somebody needs to hold back for the good of the tribe. Probably you, Penner.
2) I am bored by Lisa's story arc. The Survivor producers think it is much more compelling than she is. I think she mostly sucks.
3) Untying knots is not a good challenge at this stage. BOOOOOO.
4) Kudos to Malcolm/Denise for taking advantage.
5) WTF are you doing Skupin/Lisa? Penner is totally right. If you allow Malcolm and/or Denise to make FTC, they will win. I suspect Denise even more than Malcolm so that she wins if they're both there.
6) Skupin, you are bad at math. You put yourself in a place where you are making 2/3 finalists happy, 1 jury member happy, and 3 jury members angry. Being the swing vote at this stage is bad.
7) Abi, you're still a piece of work. Jesus.

EvilApplesauce

EvilApplesauce

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

I haven't read any spoilers, but after tonight, I think Penner called the most likely end of the game. Therefore, congratulations Denise on your $1M win.

If Lisa doesn't stop whining, though? Unless I find out it was strategy all along, I'm so over her "woe is me, I'm just too good and nah-ce and suh-weet for this game" crap. If it's that serious, why don't you quit??

Edited by EvilApplesauce, Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:19 PM.

Haleth

Haleth

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

Very mature of Crabbi to stick out her tongue. Stay classy, girl. Yeah, the note that allowed her to jump to the final obstacle was pretty suspect.

Sigh, Penner. At least he realized he was to blame for his own demise. (Didn't like his metaphoric tongue sticking out to Denise by misspelling her name.) I am looking forward to watching Ponderosa tomorrow.

Edited by Haleth, Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:07 PM.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

Well Survivor: The Psyche of Lisa Whelchel [/tm someone more clever than me] continues. As much as I do like her, I get how maddening it would be to try to play with her. What was the point of confessing everything to Penner if she was still going to vote against him? She may have kept a jury vote if she kept her mouth shut, but I really think she lost Penner's vote.

Abi won a challenge. Who would have called that? And yeah, her knee looked fine.

Her line at the auction made me roll my eyes. "There is no compassion towards me here, so I have to have compassion towards myself."

Edited by vb68, Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:10 PM.

sienna gold

sienna gold

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

You know. I want Penner to play until he wins. Seriously, I just love him and the way he approaches the game (as a GAME Lisa) and he knows when he's stupid and he knows when he's smart. And I do applaud him (even though most people would have screamed DUMB MOVE!) that he didn't "leap" into an alliance because it was presented to him, for the same reasons Lisa keeps bringing up:

Why make promises that potentially be empty, and then you turn around and break them, and then you get all "Whaaa whaaa whaa." (LISA).

And Skupin just blew his own game. This is what I would have done.

I would have alligned with Penner (and do the whole "returning players angle." You have Carter. Denise & Abi do not like each other, and Malcolm is your biggest main threat.

I would have voted off Denise tonight. (as much as I love her too).
Malcolm vs. Abi (split the vote, play the Idol).
Abi vs.Lisa
Carter, Penner, Skupin in the final. Bam. Carter doesn't win at all, unless he pulls a Fabio out of thin air (and I don't think that happens). Heck, even bring Lisa (and ditch Carter, because I don't think he would be a vengeful Jury Vote), and it's still Skupin vs. Penner because I think Lisa's woe is me, this is hard, I'm SOOO Loyal is pissing everyone off. (she's like a sane Lil).

ECAmber

ECAmber

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Bullshit.

Abi's path to the immunity idol stinks of interference. It was so flawlessly executed that I disbelieve the idea that there wasn't some coordinated effort behind it.

If Penner had gone after Carter, who is turning into a bit of a beast at challenges he would have eliminated a significant threat and saved his skin. I do feel bad, he tried to leave with grace and dignity... and integrity come to think of it. I didn't care for him at the beginning, but I am sad to see him go.

I missed what Malcolm's brother said in the "next week"... a little help?

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Oh, and...was it random, that Carter was screwed over both times at the auction? That was strange.

I'm not sure why the editors put in a shot of Malcolm standing waist-deep in the ocean, but thank you.

zeuzeuze

zeuzeuze

Loyal Viewer

Nooooooo!!! Not Jonny Blue Eyes. [BTW, I want him to be the next Jeff Probst.] He made his case quite compellingly, I thought. Skupin and Lisa won't have a chance against Denise or Malcolm with the jurors in the F3. They had a better shot with Penner. Skupin even confessed as much. I'm at a loss who I'm supporting now. It'll come back to me in a day or two. But for now, I need to figure it out. I'm also in agreement with the conspiracy theorists re: sphincter-face and her made-to-order immunity idol win.

athena23

athena23

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

Yeah I felt the same way but then I remembered that they allowed Fairplay to go on with his dead grandmother scheme when supposedly, Burnett & Co. did a fact-check as soon as the friend showed up with that story and knew it wasn't true. I guess they see it as part of the whole "outwit" thing.

Hm, very good point. I try to forget that nitwit ever existed, but very good point. I still give it an Abi salute: :P

Well Survivor: The Psyche of Lisa Whelchel [/tm someone more clever than me] continues. As much as I do like her, I get how maddening it would be to try to play with her. What was the point of confessing everything to Penner if she was still going to vote against him? She may have kept a jury vote if she kept her mouth shut, but I really think she lost Penner's vote.

My take on this was that a) it was a sort of confessional for her and b) she genuinely thought she was giving him a chance to work his magic, as he has previously done so well.

But for now, I need to figure it out. I'm also in agreement with the conspiracy theorists re: sphincter-face and her made-to-order immunity idol win.

Literal spit-take on "sphincter-face"...

Edited by athena23, Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:14 PM.

Unconditional

Unconditional

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

I have a feeling we're going to hear the phrase "Penner was right" in the near future, as someone will surely be using it when they're arguing against Denise in the F3. Glad Penner noted how absurd the idea was that because he didn't jump into an alliance with someone that had just attempted to get rid of him that he "missed an opportunity" to make the golden alliance. This is not Big Brother.

Is there any, any possibility that Skupin can still win this thing?

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

• Interests:TV and Sarcasm. And I love the bitches.

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

Why not yell "Malcolm!" Penner? That really would have messed with their minds instead of "Denies". Oh well.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

My take on this was that a) it was a sort of confessional for her and b) she genuinely thought she was giving him a chance to work his magic, as he has previously done so well.

But that just proves how frustrating it would be to be in an alliance with her, even if she did ultimately keep her word.

Edited by vb68, Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:15 PM.

Haleth

Haleth

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

I think Lisa is planning on playing the integrity card at FTC. Waaaah, it's too hard for her to lie! :P

Edited by Haleth, Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:16 PM.

NullFire

NullFire

Channel Surfer

Abi winning immunity was amazing. Such a star, a true find by casting. Her casting her vote for Denise (ugh) will go down as one of the greatest votes along with Crystal's vote for Randy.

Penner? Really glad his bitter ass got voted out. Pretty classless how he wouldn't hug Abi too, even though she voted with him. Welcome to the three time losers club, Penner! Two more tries and you couldn't even better your Cook Islands placement. What a joke.

GPBurdell

GPBurdell

Couch Potato

It wouldn't have been much of advantage to advance to the 2nd stage since 5 of 6 players got there anyways.

JodithGrace

JodithGrace

Fanatic

Sorry to see Penner go. Sure, he was dead man walking right from the start, as a returning player, but he fought a really good fight and stayed much longer than anyone expected.

Lisa..you are a major fan of this game. Did you really not know that it would be difficult? That you would have to vote out people you would otherwise like, and ally with people you don't like? It's a fun show to watch, but it is not a nice game! Just own your decisions and top whining about them.

I'm rooting for Malcolm to win this thing, but anything can still happen. Abi is such a wild card. Now she's pretending to have an idol. I hope it backfires on her when they decide to flush it out. She was clever to pretend that there was more to the message she read.

I don't see shenanigans, however. Anybody who watches this game knows that there is frequently an advantage up for grabs. She decided to hold on to her money until she saw an advantage and jumped on it. As obnoxious as she is, she is a fighter.

gullytwin

gullytwin

Channel Surfer

Is there a chance Malcolm gives his idol to Denise if threatened? Or is their alliance tight-but-not-that-tight?

bandita

bandita

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

Can someone tell me what Malcolm's brother said in the previews that got Malcolm upset.

I thought Abi was very clever to plant the seed about the immunity idol on the note. Shows how sneaky she is.

NYTeacher

NYTeacher

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

Can anyone tell me what was said at the end by Malcolm and his brother? It looked like the brother said something shocking/inappropriate, but even with listening to it three times, I couldn't make it out.

BtvsVamp

BtvsVamp

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

While I do agree there was some shenanigans tonight with the challenge I don't think it's as much as some are saying. I thought Abi adding on to the message was clever, she still would've got voted out if she didn't win though. Also, she probably was asked a question like Penner/Carter were in Round 3 but got it right. In past seasons the advantage in challenges has been just as good, if not better. Even way back in Guatemala when Danni had the option to switch places with another player at any point in the game, pretty much guaranteeing a win at the start.

However, I do agree the weight added element was suspicious and I'm also betting her knots were more loose than that of Penner or Carter.

At this point rooting for Malcolm or Denise, Lisa is so wishy washy and Skupin didn't start playing until RC left so he doesn't even deserve it in my opinion. Denise has been to every single TC and Malcolm has been seen as a threat the entire game.

Edited by BtvsVamp, Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:20 PM.

athena23

athena23

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

But that just proves how frustrating it would be to be in an alliance with her, even if she did ultimately keep her word.

Oh, I ain't arguing with that one bit. She'd drive me bonkers. For many (although well-meaning) reasons.

Abi winning immunity was amazing. Such a star, a true find by casting. Her casting her vote for Denise (ugh) will go down as one of the greatest votes along with Crystal's vote for Randy. Penner? Really glad his bitter ass got voted out. Pretty classless how he wouldn't hug Abi too, even though she voted with him. Welcome to the three time losers club, Penner! Two more tries and you couldn't even better your Cook Islands placement. What a joke.

Abi? Is that you? If so: :P

Is there a chance Malcolm gives his idol to Denise if threatened? Or is their alliance tight-but-not-that-tight?

Okay, I'm old, so my memory sucks. Didn't he play it? Or no?

Edited by athena23, Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:21 PM.

skeeter22

skeeter22

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

It's kind of funny that Penner basically shamed Lisa out of going with Abi/Pete/Artis to the finals because they would be easy to beat, and later attempted to talk her into ditching Malcolm/Denise because they would be hard to beat. He basically set Lisa on this path, and it bit him in the ass in the end.

I think the frustrating thing about Lisa is that she clearly understands the game and how to play strategically. Her attempt to blindside Malcolm shows she knows how to play the game. But I think she's thinking too much about what happens when people actually watch the show and is afraid to make moves that might make her look mean or unsympathetic.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

I think there was another advantage clue that shot someone ahead to the 3rd leg before this season so I don't see anything suspect in that.

I felt like I was mistakenly watching a rerun, what with Malco complaining about Abi and Lisa saying she wasn't cut out for the game. Enough! Move on and find something else to whine about!

Why didn't Malcolm ask to see Abi's idol? Dumb Pete move. Now he'll share she has one, arrrggghhhh!!

BtvsVamp

BtvsVamp

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

Okay, I'm old, so my memory sucks. Didn't he play it? Or no?

He still has his idol. But in terms of him giving his idol to Denise? Not a chance. Tonight is as close of a vote for your partner as it is going to get being a 4-3 vote. If he didn't do it tonight he is never going to do it.

bagatelle1

bagatelle1

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

I am always loathe to get anywhere near the tinfoil hat on most reality shows, but I donít think Iíve ever been so close to calling shenanigans on Survivor. Abi gets wind of an advantage at the auction and immediately grabs it the second it appears (of course that was ďthe planĒ, Jeff; Iím sure Abi was tipped off that she needed to be ready to grab that the moment it appeared). Instead of moving her up one leg in a 3-part challenge (the way itís been done before), it moves her directly to the end. Then they add the twist of the awkward weight-bearing bags to both of the first two rounds to help ensure that whomever survives to the 3rd round will likely be both exhausted and with an additional encumbrance. Then Carter and Penner (but not Abi) have a chance to have yet another weight added, which might very well have been the difference in Carterís performance.

I'm with you on the conspiracy theory. I immediately thought that Abi must have some sailing skills or girl scout skills and that is why her little hands helped her in untying knots.

If Lisa falls falls over herself into a win, I'm going to be pissed.